IGNORED

Trump 53: Orange Florida Man Awaiting Indictment

GreyhoundFan

3 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Bless his heart. Looks like he's going to be stuck in Florida all summer.

Let's hope there are no pics of him in a bathing suit.

• Disgust 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 3

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 17

On 5/14/2021 at 7:17 PM, Cartmann99 said:

Bless his heart. Looks like he's going to be stuck in Florida all summer.

Maybe he'll melt in the heat.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4127789f19515f0747325c60da0e0349.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 18

23 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.4127789f19515f0747325c60da0e0349.png

Please tell me that's carved out of cheese.

• Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Please tell me that's carved out of cheese.

I thought it was a candle. I'm hoping it's a candle, otherwise I'm never going to be able to look at cheese the same way again! ?

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I thought it was a candle. I'm hoping it's a candle, otherwise I'm never going to be able to look at cheese the same way again! ?

Just knowing how much Trump loves Andrew Jackson I was hoping it was a crazy cheese sculpture.  The Dollop did a great podcast on it, but the TLDR for those unfamiliar with one of my favorite historical facts...

https://www.thoughtco.com/andrew-jacksons-big-block-of-cheese-1773414

”Mammoth Cheese — Mr. T.S. Meacham exhibited in this city on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week a cheese weighing 1,400 pounds made from the milk of 150 cows for four days at his dairy in Sandy Creek, Oswego County. It bore the following inscription: ‘To Andrew Jackson, President of the United States.’

”He also exhibited a National Belt, got up with much taste, presenting a fine bust of the President, surrounded by a chain of twenty-four States united and linked together. This belt is intended for a wrapper to the mammoth cheese when presented to the President.”

If there is one thing a 1400 wheel of cheese needs is a fashionable belt.

and I need someone to explain to me why being lackadaisical would result in a stronger reaction o cheese odor?

When the cheese was served "there arose an exceedingly strong smell, so strong as to overpower a number of dandies and lackadaisical ladies," said an article which appeared on March 4, 1837, in the Portsmouth Journal of Politics and Literature, a New Hampshire newspaper.

Jefferson got one too, but it was only 1235 lbs, so hardly any cheese at all.  That one was a statement about the separation of church and state, oddly enough.  I think this is a good idea for the fundies...stop spreading your message with words in the media and just let giant blocks of cheese speak for you.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

"Big block of cheese day". I should've remembered that from The West Wing!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

Usually, when I think "that was a really cheesy story," it's not a compliment, but, in this case, it is! Thanks, @HerNameIsBuffy - I feel much more educated (and possibly constipated) now.

• Haha 13

7 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

This reminded me of Big Butter Jesus:

Spoiler

Touchdown Jesus (Gone)

Monroe, Ohio

During a storm on June 14, 2010, the giant "King of Kings" styrofoam and fiberglass Jesus statue was struck by lightning and burst into flames. The statue was destroyed (a less athletic replacement is under construction).

Before that meteorological portent, this was our visit story:

Jesus has risen near the interstate north of Cincinnati. A 62-ft. high sculpture of Christ appears to explode from the dirt behind the amphitheater at Monroe's Solid Rock Church. From the waist down, he's underground....

Enormous flea markets on both sides of highways at this exit make for large weekend traffic jams. Traders World is right next door. But Jesus faces west towards I-75 -- highly visible -- and you'd be crazy not to get off at the first off-ramp to worship and snap a photo.

The Big J. is a symbol of devotion for the congregation of 3,000 at Solid Rock, a nondenominational mega-church. Pastor Lawrence Bishop presides; his wife Darlene also founded the church and she evangelizes with her own tidy set of ministries. You can buy Darlene's new book, "Your Life Follows Your Words," or hear the Fire Choir "Worship on Fire" to get a sense of what you're missing inside.

Outside, artist James Lynch was commissioned to render a fiberglass and styrofoam over metal frame depiction of Christ after the Resurrection looming over the Baptismal Pool. The figure was completed in September 2004.

Lynch has created other larger-than-life sculpture in places such as Las Vegas (Caesar's big Neptune) and Disney World. Church leaders believe it is the World's Largest Christ (or at least the W.L. half-buried Messiah) and have submitted it for consideration for a Guinness World Record.

The pose of the statue as generated plenty of discussion. The upraised arms familiar to "praise" service attendees conjures different images for locals, who refer to the big Savior as "Touchdown Jesus," or "Drowning Jesus."

Soon after the statue's completion, tipster Lori Baker wrote us: "I found it interesting that a poll taken of locals concerning the statue of Jesus in Monroe had the following results: 25% feel that it is a 'Godsend, good for Monroe,' while 75% found that it was an 'Eyesore, bad for Monroe.'"

October 2006: The statue continues to accumulate nicknames, and is the subject of a noveltysong by comedian Heywood Banks, "Big Butter Jesus." The song reminds all to "Spread the word."

April 2005: The pond has been filled, and the landscaping completed, making the giant Jesus appear as if rising from the waters. This is a dramatic spot for Solid Rock baptisms, visible from the highway.

It may also attract passing heathens, caught in the act of "High Five"-ing the Lord. We're sure that's fine with the church -- they know their Mega-Message reaches people in many ways.

2049744746_Screenshot(4707).png.5d55cca8d3ff01032be8e1902d89a0ca.png

I don't think it was famously known as Big Butter Jesus until Heywood Banks did his song:

Spoiler

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, Xan said:

(a less athletic replacement is under construction).

I’ve read that said replacement statue is colloquially known as “Five-Dollar Footlong Jesus.”

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

Donald jr? Ivanka? That other kid, good old what's his face? I barely knew them. Didn't one of them get me coffee once?

• Upvote 11

8 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Very inconsiderate of the AG’s office to announce this when I have a ton of work and deadlines today. 
Keep up the good work my FJeeps I’ll be snooping in every now and then to get any braking news

• Upvote 8

From the CNN article:

Trump is expected to make a personal appearance at a May 22 high-dollar fundraiser at Bedminster for the Make America Great Again Action super PAC, which is run by his longtime adviser Corey Lewandowski, a person familiar with the event confirms to CNN.

[...]

The Bedminster fundraiser will be Trump's first official appearance at the club this season, but the former President has been spotted making unofficial rounds over the last several days, according to two members who spoke with CNN. He has, as he is wont to do, spent many hours already playing the club's 36-hole golf course. Over the weekend, Trump finished well enough in a members' tournament to nab a trophy, said one of the members.

Mar-a-Lago 'sleeps' for the season

When the wealthy snowbirds depart Palm Beach at the end of the East Coast's chilly winter and return, like Trump, to their summer abodes, most of the popular haunts shut down, including Mar-a-Lago.

"It basically sleeps for the season, like a hibernation," said one Mar-a-Lago member. "The island is devoid of seasonal visitors," said another part-time Palm Beach resident.

Without the buzz and activities, and club members to stand and applaud as he and Melania Trump enter the ballroom or the dining patio, the appeal for Trump of living at the massive mansion dissipates. This year, members were informed the Mar-a-Lago beach club and pool would remain open through July 4, longer than normal, but the main house, including the spa, dining room and event spaces, will close in the coming weeks. The next time members will be able to hobnob won't be until the end of October, when the winter season kicks off again with the club's annual Halloween party.

[...]

Melania Trump and son Barron Trump are also slated to settle in to Bedminster for the season as soon as the younger Trump's school year in Palm Beach has ended, per a person familiar.

From Politico's report about the fundraiser:

Trump is expected to attend the event, which will include reception and a dinner. The minimum price for entry is $250,000.

:fainting:

• WTF 1
  • Thank You 8

Well, that works out nicely. Much easier for the NY authorities to nab him in New Jersey - even if he's tipped off he might not have time to flee.

I'm sure he's going to skate through like he always does, but the idea of him actually having consequences for his actions is appealing.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8

Here's a link to Brian Williams discussing the NY AG's decision with legal analyst Neal Katyal. Trump is in deep, deep trouble here. Consequences seem to be inevitable.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 9

Trump's reaction is exactly what you would expect.

• Thank You 3

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

Of course he wouldn’t have the ferret on his head anymore if he went to prison. 

• Upvote 11

This is a scary read. I think we need to be sure to not get complacent. "This is how Donald Trump becomes president again"

Ever since Donald Trump lost the 2020 election, I’ve been among those who believed he would never run for president again. He’d keep the option open for as long as possible to get attention and keep other Republicans genuflecting to him, but he wouldn’t go through with it. It would just be too much trouble at his age (he’ll be 78 in 2024), and the idea of losing yet again would be too frightening.

But the events of the last few months have increased the likelihood that Trump could survey the landscape and decide that he could waltz right back into the White House if he wanted.

Not because he’d get more Americans to vote for him; barring some kind of unforeseen catastrophe, it’s difficult to see that happening. But because his party has so aggressively worked to twist and corrupt the U.S. electoral system, he could clearly lose both the popular and electoral votes and still become president again.

It’s too early to say how likely this is, but here’s how it could go down.

Step one: Trump decides to run, and obliterates the primary field.

While many Republicans are considering a presidential bid, some of whom are savvy operators, there isn’t one who looks remotely like they could defeat Trump in a presidential primary.

“If Donald Trump decides to run in 2024 again, he’s going to be the Republican nominee,” said one of those potential candidates, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida. While Chris Christie recently said Trump’s decision won’t factor into his own, others such as Nikki Haley have said they won’t run if Trump does. Even if a few do step up, can anyone seriously envision another candidate duking it out with Trump and vanquishing him?

The truth is that Trump could hold a couple of rallies, toss around some insults at a few debates and secure the nomination — if anyone even bothered to run against him. The idea of a restoration would be so intoxicating to the party’s base that he would barely have to campaign.

Step two: Republican voter suppression measures have an impact.

The wave of new voter-suppression laws at the state level are a mix of the dangerous and the misconceived, and it’s likely that many will have little or no impact on the next election’s results, especially because Democrats will probably be stepping up their organizing efforts precisely to overcome them.

But contained in many of those bills are direct attacks on local elected officials, meant to intimidate them with threats of prosecution and enable GOP-controlled state legislatures to seize power from them. It’s entirely possible that we’ll see power struggles in state after state where local officials trying to administer fair and free elections are usurped by legislatures loyal to Trump who manage to to put a thumb — or a whole hand — on the scale in his favor.

We saw in 2020 in places such as Georgia a belated realization on Republicans’ part that their plans were threatened by officials, including some Republicans, who decided to perform their tasks with integrity. They won’t be caught off-guard again.

Step three: GOP state legislatures step in.

There could be a number of states where the Democratic candidate (Joe Biden, if he seeks reelection, or someone else) wins the majority of the vote, and the Republicans who find that outcome unacceptable simply refuse to approve it. This almost happened in 2020; you might remember how Trump summoned Pennsylvania legislators to the White House to have a conversation about their state’s votes. But in the end, his bidding was not done.

Will state Republican officials stand up to him again? There’s no way to know — and after so many loyalty tests based on believing the “big lie” that the 2020 election was stolen, there may be few Republicans left who would try. So, multiple states might vote for Biden, but the Republicans who run one or more of them manage to grant Trump their electoral votes anyway.

Step four: Republicans in the House of Representatives take control.

If there were conflicts in Congress over which slates of electors to count, there are multiple ways you could have a major constitutional breakdown. While there are competing theories about what might happen, if in the end the election were thrown to the House of Representatives, the Constitution says each state delegation would get just one vote.

Republicans control more state delegations than Democrats. And Trump would then become the 47th president of the United States.

How likely is this scenario? I can’t say. It’s possible that state and local officials would be less likely to betray their country and its democratic system to serve Trump than in 2020, when in many ways we were saved by the willingness of election administrators, judges, and even some legislators to refuse his attempts to corrupt them.

But the opposite is also possible. At every stage of this scenario, it would be up to Republicans to prevent the worst from happening; Democrats couldn’t stop it, and not even the voters could, if the GOP is determined enough to steal the election for Trump. We await evidence that they wouldn’t be willing to do it.

• Thank You 11

2 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

@GreyhoundFan This possibility requires an “I’m terrified” reaction. 

It took me a while to read it. I had to keep stopping because it made me feel ill. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic