IGNORED

2020 Election Fallout 13: Sedition And Arrests

GreyhoundFan

"Accused Capitol rioter arrested in T-shirt reading ‘I was there’ with Trump’s photo, insurrection date"

When police showed up at Garret Miller’s Dallas home earlier this year to arrest him on charges that he had participated in the Capitol riot, his wardrobe spoke for itself.

The 34-year-old unemployed man, who allegedly forced his way into the U.S. Capitol building and threatened a congresswoman and a police officer, was clad in a T-shirt emblazoned with a photograph of former president Donald Trump and text declaring: “I Was There, Washington D.C., January 6, 2021.”

New details of his Jan. 20 arrest were revealed this week in court documents as prosecutors urged a judge not to release him before his trial, noting that he allegedly admitted to bringing a gun into the Capitol during the deadly insurrection. Police also found an array of weapons and gear in Miller’s house, prosecutors said, including a grappling hook, ropes, body armor, night vision goggles, a crossbow and arrows, and multiple firearms with ammunition.

“By bringing tactical gear, ropes, and potentially, by his own admission, a gun to the Capitol on January 6, 2021, Miller showed that he was not just caught up in the frenzy of the crowd but instead came to D.C. with the intention of disrupting the democratic process of counting and certifying Electoral College votes,” prosecutors said.

Many of the people arrested for storming the Capitol have allegedly incriminated themselves on social media. Alleged rioters have shared selfies inside the Capitol rotunda, taunted the FBI in videos, and showed off stolen police gear while recounting how they fought officers and forced their way inside the Capitol, according to prosecutors.

Miller, too, is accused of being vocal on social media about his role in the insurrection.

Miller boasted about storming the Capitol on Jan. 6, according to court records, and hours after the insurrection, he allegedly tweeted “Assassinate AOC,” targeting Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), who said she feared for her life as an angry mob forced its way into the federal building where she works.

He also sent a selfie that showed him standing inside the Capitol Rotunda, according to court records, with the caption: “Just wanted to incriminate myself a little lol.”

In another Facebook chat, a friend shared a concern that Miller might be arrested by the FBI.

“It might be time for me to … be hard to locate,” Miller allegedly wrote back.

In the weeks after the riot but before his arrest, Miller also grew obsessed with Ashli Babbitt, the woman fatally shot by a police officer as she tried to breach a restricted area inside the Capitol building, according to court records.

“Miller viewed Babbitt as a ‘sister in battle,’” prosecutors said. “He became consumed with her death and circulated photographs on Facebook of an African-American police officer that he believed was responsible for her death.”

“Dead serious she fought fir me now I fight fir her,” Miller allegedly wrote in one Facebook message.

In other messages, Miller allegedly declared it “huntin’ season” for the Black officer he believed had killed Babbitt and said he wanted to “hug his neck with a nice rope,” according to court records.

Although Miller declined to speak with the officers who arrested him, he talked to his mother on a recorded phone call from jail soon afterward.

“I don’t feel that I’ve done anything wrong and now I’m being locked up,” he allegedly told her.

Miller is being held in a detention facility in Oklahoma until he is extradited to D.C., where he will be tried in federal court. But he cannot be transferred until he receives medical treatment for a broken collarbone that he suffered inside a detention center in Dallas.

His defense attorney, F. Clinton Broden, has asked a judge to release Miller from custody until his trial.

“He has no history of violence, and he did not engage in any acts of violence in connection with the charged offenses, unlike many others who have previously been released,” Broden wrote in a motion to revoke a previous detention order.

But prosecutors say that Miller should remain in jail because he has shown a lack of remorse, made violent threats and previously suggested he would try to evade police.

“Miller came to D.C. for a fight,” prosecutors said. “The defendant contributed to the violence that took place on January 6, 2021, and he showed through his actions that he is a danger to our society and a threat to the peaceful functioning of our democracy.”

• Thank You 13

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

RIP.

Fuck Trump. Fuck all his terrorist supporters. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

Another one who needs to spend lots of time behind bars.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

Lol, that judge isn’t falling for any bullshit arguments.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 5

Capitol riot defendant flips to help prosecutors against Proud Boys

At least one of the Capitol riot defendants has flipped against the Proud Boys, agreeing to provide information that could allow the Justice Department to bring a more severe charge against the group's leadership, according to an attorney involved in the case.

If I'm understanding the article correctly,  a "cooperating witness" overheard Proud Boys but is not a Proud Boy member, has not been arrested and is not a defendant. 

Weeks ago, another attorney for [alleged Proud Boy "warrior" Dominic] Pezzola wrote in court filings that he believed a so-called "cooperating witness" was sharing information about the Proud Boys. Prosecutors had revealed the witness heard Proud Boys members talking about wanting to kill members of Congress and then-Vice President Mike Pence and return to Washington for Inauguration Day, and that members of the group had access to guns. The witness wasn't charged with a crime and isn't affiliated with the Proud Boys, the Justice Department later clarified.

And then there is a second person who is considering cooperating and is this the person referenced in the headline?

At least one defendant, Jon Schaffer, a guitarist with the heavy metal band Iced Earth, is considering cooperating, according to a filing on Monday. Schaffer allegedly charged at police officers in the Capitol insurrection and is in jail while he awaits trial. In court, he has distanced himself from the Oath Keepers.

I would imagine being jailed gives one plenty of time to think about how much he DOES NOT want to spend years of his life in prison. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

Another reich wing whiner 

Thomas Webster, a Capitol rioter who attacked a police officer with a metal pole and attempted to gouge his eyes, is said to be in "shock" over being detained with people who committed "inner-city" crimes, his lawyer said Friday.

According to Washington Post reporter Rachel Weiner, Webster's lawyer said he is being detained in a "dormitory setting," after police arrested him in connection with violently storming the U.S. Capitol building on January 6.

"For a middle aged guy whose never been arrested before this has been a shock for him," his lawyer said, while adding that his record outside of the attack is "sparkling."

Webster, 54, is a retired New York City Police officer and former Marine who at times performed high-profile duties in his career—including working perimeter security at City Hall and the New York mayoral residence, according to News 4.

Translation: he doesn’t like that he’s being housed with various minorities and that the place isn’t a country club. 

• Upvote 10
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Another reich wing whiner 

Translation: he doesn’t like that he’s being housed with various minorities and that the place isn’t a country club. 

So... violent assault of a police officer isn't an "inner city" crime in his mind? Well to be fair, it's pretty much an "across the spectrum" crime, and glad he's in an appropriate prison.

• Upvote 12

Alex Jones is an idiot. Watch how he shoots himself —and Trump— in the foot with this public confession:

• Thank You 10

Another Iowan got his terrorist ass arrested 

Another Iowan has been charged in the January 6th Capitol riots.

Kyle James Young (age 37 of Redfield, IA) and two others were indicted on charges related to the assault of Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) Officer Michael Fanone. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

You just gotta love Rick Wilson.

Dollar Store Elba... :pb_lol:

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 1

As if things weren't ridiculous enough already...

• Eyeroll 7
  • Thank You 4

15 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

As if things weren't ridiculous enough already...

His argument appears to me to basically be "the First Amendment allows me to lie if I want to".  I'm pretty sure that's not going to go over well in court.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

9 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Dollar Store Elba

Able he wasn't . . . ever.

OK, so it's not a palindrome - it's true.

• Haha 7
  • Love 1

"‘It’s almost like insanity’: GOP base continues to lash out over Trump’s defeat"

MARIETTA, Ga. — Nowhere has the post-Trump era been more painful for the Republican Party than in Georgia, where Trump loyalists’ war on Republican elected officials is still raging, at great cost.

After the presidential election, lost by Republicans in Georgia for the first time since 1992, the party crumpled in the January Senate runoffs. In the Atlanta suburbs, once a citadel of conservatism, Republicans were blown out.

Yet if that was cause for any introspection, it was not readily apparent as Republicans gathered at county conventions in recent days to chart their course for the midterm elections and the next presidential race in 2024.

In Cobb County, the archetype of the GOP’s suburban erosion, Republican activists over the weekend were still relitigating former President Donald Trump’s baseless claims of widespread voter fraud while drafting resolutions to rebuke the state’s Republican governor, Brian Kemp, and other Republican officials for their unwillingness to overturn Trump’s loss. The Republican secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, has been all but excommunicated.

The once dominant Georgia GOP might be in meltdown in the suburbs, but the rank and file remains obsessed with Trump and the perceived wrongs of the last election.

As party activists vented at their county convention, the chair of the Cobb County Young Republicans, DeAnna Harris, stewed in the parking lot of her local party office.

“Huge mistake,” she said of the hostilities directed at Kemp and the reliving of 2020. “We’ve got to get out of this mindset. It’s almost like insanity.”

To traditionalist Republicans in Georgia, the infighting between fervent Trump supporters and the establishment wing of the party has become increasingly alarming as the midterm elections come into focus. The GOP is desperate to regain its footing in the suburbs after Trump’s collapse there. But it was moderate Republicans and independent voters, not Trump loyalists, who abandoned Trump in November, and the party’s fixation on the former president may only alienate them further, with potentially disastrous consequences for 2022 and beyond.

Party officials remain optimistic that since the midterms historically favor the out-of-power party, state Republicans “should be poised to have a very good year,” said Randy Evans, a Georgia lawyer who served as Trump’s ambassador to Luxembourg.

Yet there are plenty of reasons to question whether historic trends will swing in their direction.

“I’m convinced that if infighting escalates, we could easily blow it, as well,” Evans said. “We’ve got to figure out how to come together, really. And it’s an easy thing to say but a very difficult thing to actually do in this environment… The consultants and the insiders will undoubtedly attempt to shift the focus toward a message that we can all agree, like we’re not Biden-Harris, and so let’s just focus on that. But I think some of these divisions are so deep that I don’t know that that’s enough.”

Making gains in the midterms is hard, he said, “if you’re shooting at each other inside the tent.”

Even before Trump lost the nation’s suburbs to Joe Biden, Republicans were facing a crisis in suburbia, the result of shifting demographics and voting habits around America’s largest cities. In Atlanta’s diversifying suburbs, what had once been a gradual “metamorphosis” was “put on steroids by Donald Trump,” said John Watson, a former Georgia Republican Party chair.

Mitt Romney had carried Cobb County by nearly 13 percentage points in 2012. Four years later, Trump lost the county to Hillary Clinton by about 2 points, and four years after that, he was clobbered by more than 14 percentage points. Over the span of eight years, it marked a 27-point swing against the Republican nominee.

The predicament for Republicans is that while many suburban voters, especially women, recoiled from Trump, he dramatically expanded the party elsewhere, pulling more working-class whites into the GOP and making inroads with Latinos. Now, for Republican Party organizers, the question hanging over the midterm elections is how to hold on to Trump’s base while recovering the moderate voters he lost to now-President Biden in November.

In Cobb County, the party’s election of a new county chair on Saturday offered a glimpse of the difficult path forward. A three-way race for an open seat, the contest featured one woman, of Puerto Rican descent, who invoked the “image problem” confronting the overwhelmingly white convention attendees in a county where people of color now make up nearly half of the population. Another candidate presented herself as an analytics expert. The third, Salleigh Grubbs, ran on a “Cobb First,” “America First” platform.

One supporter referred to Grubbs, a businesswoman, as “the female version of Donald Trump.”

The result wasn’t even close — Grubbs won in a landslide.

Shaking his head at the back of the room when the outcome became apparent, Shelley Wynter, a conservative talk show host in Atlanta, said, “It’s going to hurt the party. We don’t need a bomb thrower. We need diplomats and ambassadors.”

He said, “It’s hard to go into east Cobb County and talk to suburban voters with a MAGA hat on.”

In Georgia and elsewhere, there have been some positive signs for the GOP in the suburbs. Despite Trump’s loss, Republicans performed well down-ballot in November, both nationally and in Georgia. Scores of traditionally Republican voters split their tickets, elevating Biden while propelling Republicans to victories in congressional and state legislative races.

“It’s a mistake to assume that suburban voters are somehow locked into the Democratic column,” said Whit Ayres, the longtime Republican pollster. “They are very much up for grabs not just in Georgia, but around the country.”

Still, Ayres said, the focus of party activists on exacting a measure of payback on the party’s own statewide elected officials is “doing the exact opposite of what’s necessary to revive the Republican Party in the suburbs.”

“Picking a fight with your own party’s governor and lieutenant governor and secretary of state,” he said, “doesn’t strike me as the wisest of political moves.”

Following the weekend conventions, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that most local Republican parties declined to rebuke Kemp, with expressions of anger largely coming from rural, heavily conservative swaths of the state. In Gwinnett County — another populous, once-Republican Atlanta suburb — resolutions to censure Kemp and Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan and to encourage Raffensperger to resign were rejected. But in Cobb County, resolutions rebuking Kemp and other officials were merely put off because of a time limitation, officials said. They are expected to be taken up by county party officials at a later meeting.

“The anger with respect to the fraudulent vote is extreme, and I think many voters do not think our elected officials did the job,” said Leroy Emkin, a member of the Cobb County Republican Party’s resolutions committee.

The party, he said, has an obligation to put its politicians “on notice” regardless of the political ramifications.

“It is a matter of truth, of the Constitution,” he said.

Emkin is not in the minority. Most Republicans here believe that the last election was not free and fair. And it’s in part due to frustration over the outcome of that election, coupled with the reality of a Democratic-controlled Washington, that Georgia Republicans credited large crowds at their events this past weekend. The gathering in Cobb County, which drew several hundred delegates, was more than double the size of some previous years, said Jason Shepherd, the party chair before Grubbs was elected.

It was the same at county party meetings across the state. Jason Thompson, a Republican national committeeman from Georgia, said the GOP “is energized more than ever.”

“Not everyone agrees on everything,” he said. “But I can assure you that what we do agree upon is that what President Biden is pushing and the Democrats in Congress … is just beyond the pale.”

Republicans now have a common foil in Washington. And in Georgia, Republicans have rallied recently around the state’s controversial new voting law — and against the opposition to it from Democrats and corporate America. Among the resolutions Cobb County Republicans are likely to pass is one targeting Coca-Cola and Delta, two locally headquartered companies that condemned the law.

Watson said that “there has been no greater coalescing moment among Republicans than the fight that has transpired since SB 202,” the Georgia voting law.

“It has absolutely been a galvanizing force that has bonded anew the governor’s relationship with the most hard-core Republicans,” he said. “Is it ubiquitous and unanimous? No. But that’s impossible.”

By the time the midterm elections arrive, Republicans will almost certainly have other grievances to bond over, as well as policies of Biden and the Democratic-controlled Congress that they view as far out of step with mainstream voters. And the GOP’s own divisions are likely to fade to at least some degree once the primaries are done and before the general election.

“The Republicans don’t have to defend their agenda in 2022 because the Democrats are in control of everything,” said Jay Williams, a Georgia-based Republican strategist. “Republicans just need to play defense and let Democrats eat themselves, and that’s what they’re doing.”

But the GOP in Georgia is not yet done cannibalizing itself. Outside the party convention in Cobb County, David Gault, a local precinct chair, said that “people just need to really calm down and, I think, perhaps we just need to mind our own store right now.” The party, he said, should be “all about the future.”

The response from the base came from inside the convention hall, where a delegate carried a poster outlining complaints about voter fraud, Kemp and Raffensperger, among others.

“NO,” it said in red ink. “We Will NOT Move On!”

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

12 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

*shrug*  OK, fine - keep up same shit that lost you the election, with a side of school-yard bittercakes.  Close your tent flap and do nothing to entice those that abandoned your party to come back.  Keep harping on the past, lost election and do no soul-searching to try and win the next one.  Vilify your own party's elected officials because they followed the law.  I don't see how that will benefit the party in the long run, but hey, you do you, Georgia Republicans. 

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, Becky said:

*shrug*  OK, fine - keep up same shit that lost you the election, with a side of school-yard bittercakes.

I love how you put this. :pb_smile:

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Becky said:

*shrug*  OK, fine - keep up same shit that lost you the election, with a side of school-yard bittercakes.  Close your tent flap and do nothing to entice those that abandoned your party to come back.  Keep harping on the past, lost election and do no soul-searching to try and win the next one.  Vilify your own party's elected officials because they followed the law.  I don't see how that will benefit the party in the long run, but hey, you do you, Georgia Republicans.

What's this about a soul?

• Upvote 8

Another Branch Trumpvidian got arrested

Capitol rioter Michael Timbrook was arrested by the FBI on Tuesday morning after he shared a Facebook post saying that he feels "no remorse or guilt."

Timbrook, 56, of Cookeville, Tennessee, was charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority and one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, according to the Department of Justice. He faces up to one and a half years in prison if found guilty.

Timbrook appeared before a Nashville judge after his arrest, before being released under supervisory conditions on Tuesday afternoon. He was represented by a public defender in court.

Court documents stated that Timbrook took part in the Capitol riot as "an act of patriotism," according to the Tennessean.

It’s good he got arrested but 1.5 years is a fucking crock. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Another Branch Trumpvidian got arrested

It’s good he got arrested but 1.5 years is a fucking crock. 

If they're not going to charge them with sedition then they're pretty much left with trespass and property damage, possibly assault.

• Upvote 6

If you committed Federal crimes don’t brag about it on a dating app

It’s one enormous act of stupidity to storm the U.S. Capitol. It’s a whole other level to boast about it on a dating app to attempt to impress your matches. But, according to the FBI, that’s exactly what Robert Chapman did. Court filings say the New York man was arrested Thursday after bragging about taking part in the riot to a deeply unimpressed Bumble match, who then handed the messages over to the police

Nice job Grand Admiral Overshare. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic