IGNORED

PRESIDENT Joe Biden: A Return to Normalcy?

Destiny

43 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I didn't know how much I needed this till it was happening. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

No fake reich wing “pastors” at this event. 

As with everything that happens at a presidential inauguration, the selection of clergy to pray at the ceremony is not just a formality — it’s a statement by the incoming president, telegraphing the values of his administration to the country. 

And for Joe Biden — a lifelong Catholic who has frequently cited his faith in his recent speeches, quoting everyone from St. Francis of Assisi to the hymn “On Eagle’s Wings” — the two men offering prayers hold personal meaning. Father Leo J. O’Donovan, a Jesuit priest and spiritual mentor to Biden, will offer the invocation at the start of the service on January 20, and Rev. Silvester Beaman, a friend and confidant, will give the benediction at the end.

O’Donovan’s invocation — traditionally, a prayer that asks for assistance — will likely call for God’s blessing on the ceremony and on Biden before the new president swears to uphold the Constitution. Following the ceremony, Rev. Silvester Beaman will offer a prayer of benediction, or a blessing for those assembled.

A native of Niagara Falls, New York, Beaman is a graduate of Wilberforce University, the first private historically Black university to be owned and operated by African Americans. Wilberforce is associated with the African Methodist Episcopal denomination, as is Beaman’s church, Bethel AME, a predominantly Black church located in Wilmington, Delaware. (Biden’s main residence is in Greenville, a suburb of Wilmington.)

Awaiting the reich wing pastor section freak out over this and the realization that Biden wants to talk to real men and women of the cloth.  Not fake ass reich winger pastors. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 2

There is so much to do and so far to go, but for the first time in over four years, I honestly feel hope. I physically, literally, feel "lighter".  The orange pall that hung over me & pushed me down is gone.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

Question.  For future state of the union addresses what should people do for drinking games now that fuck face will no longer be giving the speeches and we'll instead have a competent adult giving them?

• Haha 17

18 hours ago, fundiefan said:

There is so much to do and so far to go, but for the first time in over four years, I honestly feel hope. I physically, literally, feel "lighter".  The orange pall that hung over me & pushed me down is gone.

Same here.  I feel about twenty pounds lighter now in my chest.

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

912298383_Screenshot2021-01-20at20_13_13.png.63f0e40b858d9e0437d0302bd4552487.png

Edited by fraurosena
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 18

It will be nice hearing a president give speeches and knowing what they are actually saying without needing to gather with others to decipher what's coming out of their mouth. 

• I Agree 20

28 minutes ago, meep said:

It will be nice hearing a president give speeches and knowing what they are actually saying without needing to gather with others to decipher what's coming out of their mouth. 

I'm happy to listen to Biden because I can focus on what he's saying. With the last one, just the sound of his voice made me physically ill.

• I Agree 22

I'm relieved that I can watch the President speak with my children in the room and not have to worry what example is being set for them on the screen. 

I've made the resolution (to use the term loosely) to start turning on the nightly news. Even if my kids don't pay a ton of attention, I'm hoping that it will help them become informed citizens someday. I've been shielding them for the last 4 years. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 4

I talked to my librarian daughter a few minutes ago and Dr Biden is going to be addressing the ALA virtual conference on Monday!  The poet laureate is going to be giving an address as are Cicely Tyson and Ruby Bridges.

I think it was presidential historian Michael Beschloss who was talking about Malaria Trump ripping out Jackie Kennedy's rose garden and then having built  tennis pavilion (not in the same place).  He pointed out that there was already a tennis court there, but as the Trump's tried their damnedest to erase all evidence of the Obamas. that tennis court was not good enough.  Beschloss said that the stupid building looked more like a mausoleum. 

@AmazonGrace,  where is the Whew! reaction when we need it?

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

43 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I talked to my librarian daughter a few minutes ago and Dr Biden is going to be addressing the ALA virtual conference on Monday!  The poet laureate is going to be giving an address as are Cicely Tyson and Ruby Bridges.

I think it was presidential historian Michael Beschloss who was talking about Malaria Trump ripping out Jackie Kennedy's rose garden and then having built  tennis pavilion (not in the same place).  He pointed out that there was already a tennis court there, but as the Trump's tried their damnedest to erase all evidence of the Obamas. that tennis court was not good enough.  Beschloss said that the stupid building looked more like a mausoleum.

Yes, it was Beschloss. He was saying that the previous inhabitant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave had a Repug convention coming up and wanted the shot of him walking down the colonnade, but that the trees broke up the view, so Malaria had the trees dug up. Also, Obama used the tennis court to play basketball, so Malaria had to make sure there was no trace of Obama there.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 2

I noted he actually read what he was signing.  And second he didn't hold up the documents to show off his signature like pcff did all the time. 

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 4

Listening to MSNBC on my drive home tonight, hearing the words “the president signed executive orders”, and smiling. It’s a nice feeling! 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

A press briefing by a real press secretary!  About real topics! Remember Sean Spicer came out to talk about the 45 crowd size as the first press conference. 

Adults are back in charge!

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 1

52 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

A press briefing by a real press secretary!  About real topics! Remember Sean Spicer came out to talk about the 45 crowd size as the first press conference. 

Adults are back in charge!

Jen Psaki's smile reaches her eyes.

• I Agree 14

There is nothing I love more than someone who admits they don't know but will let you know when they have more information, instead of deflection or making things up.  It's my #1 top criteria in a hire and favorite trait in a co-worker.

I know it's her first time and none of us are on our A game 7 hours into a new job, but I really cringed at her answer to the question on abortion.

She had no information as it hadn't been discussed, there was no need for her to state that Biden was a devout Catholic who had been to mass that morning.  He's had priests (at least one) refuse to allow him the eucharist solely because of his prochoice public stance.

He keeps his personal beliefs separate, so Idk why his press secretary felt the need to stress his religion in response to question on abortion but I thought that was a huge misstep.

• Upvote 12

Student debt deferred until October 

Edited by clueliss
  • Upvote 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic