IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

9 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

A lot of people here put vinegar on hot chips. Is that just an Aussie thing? Maybe we got it from the poms? 

100%, and honestly it's so standard that I never thought of it as being an unusual thing? You guys, us, and the Irish united in the salt n' vinegar chip life

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 11

I love vinegar, but when I tried the "take a spoonful of ACV daily" it made me queasy.  I don't think I have any of it in the house anymore.  But I still use:

Rice vinegar as salad dressing (combined with olive oil and spices)

Balsamic vinegar for sprinkling on cooked greens or veggies

Red wine vinegar just in case a recipe calls for it

and white vinegar by the dozen gallons per year for weed control in the garden as well as occasional use in cleaning.

I love "salt & vinegar" flavored chips although I don't really eat chips anymore.  I also love it on fish & chips but that's an eating-out treat that hasn't happened in a long while.  Hmm now you've got me thinking about getting it as takeout sometime soon...

• Upvote 7

Salt and vinegar chips are big in my part of Canada, and we get offered a vinegar shaker and salt as an option when buying french fries.  Yum! 

• Upvote 5

Apple cider vinegar is by far my least used and least desired vinegar. I think I made it one day of the acv challenge. 

I like malted vinegar on fries, balsamic on caprese salad, and white vinegar for pickling and cleaning. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

Apple cider vinegar is by far my least used and least desired vinegar. I think I made it one day of the acv challenge. 

I like malted vinegar on fries, balsamic on caprese salad, and white vinegar for pickling and cleaning. 

I think white vinegar is my least favorite, but it does have its uses. I generally use apple cider vinegar in salad dressings and BBQ sauce, but I do use it for other things too. 

• Upvote 3

I love plain vinegar so much. I list it as my favorite food. When I smell vinegar I salivate. Runs in my family, like the Duggars love pickles. ?

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I keep white vinegar in the house for descaling my coffee maker and electric tea kettle,

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

I use apple cider vinegar when I make cucumbers and onions. I don't like it when it's made with white vinegar.  I love french fries with vinegar at the beach (specifically Thrashers Fries in Rehoboth Beach).

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I keep white vinegar in the house for descaling my coffee maker and electric tea kettle,

do you just put some in and then boil the kettle?

• Upvote 3

Malt vinegar for fried fish. Oh yes. 

Does anyone else use Italian dressing on steak? 

• Upvote 1

I use white vinegar to make buttermilk for baking...1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar = buttermilk...love salt and vinegar chips. Not sure I would eat ACV plain with chips....

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Derick has quoted MLK on his Instagram, and claims MLK is his inspiration to study civil rights law, and “May we continue the fight for equality in 2021.”. My instant reaction is to think he’s twisting it all round in a ‘Christians and unborn babies are now the oppressed minority, so I’m fighting for their civil rights’ way. Or possibly he’s had some kind of awakening?? But it seems like some serious misrepresentation of MLK here. 

• Upvote 11
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Dr. King had particularly harsh words (and very sound critiques) for the white moderate. 

Most white Christians disavowed MLK during his time as a fake Christian and a a dangerous Marxist. Today they love to use non-threatening whitewashed quotes from him. It’s disgusting. 

Derick has no conception of what civil rights and resisting systemic oppression actually looks like. 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 22
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Deena Dillard has covid. Remember, she's about six months pregnant.

I hope she hasn’t been near Cathy 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I'm retired and have never used malt vinegar... never paid any attention to it. It is officially in my cart for next curbside pick up. It's as cheap as a lottery ticket and I have much better chances I'll "win" with it. I'm kind of excited.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Dr. King had particularly harsh words (and very sound critiques) for the white moderate. 

Most white Christians disavowed MLK during his time as a fake Christian and a a dangerous Marxist. Today they love to use non-threatening whitewashed quotes from him. It’s disgusting. 

Derick has no conception of what civil rights and resisting systemic oppression actually looks like. 

I will be most impressed if I ever see an Instagram photo of Derick and the family at the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis.  It is one of the most thought-provoking and emotional museums I have been to.  I had to hold back tears when I got to Dr. King's preserved room in the Lorraine Motel section of the museum.  

And once the pandemic gets more under control,  Memphis is very doable for them by car for a overnight road trip.  Only 4.5 hours away.   

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I'm not the OP but yes, that's what I do.

Then swirl vigorously before pouring out, and you'll see flakes of white scale come out.  

If it's been too long since cleaning the kettle, I have to boil it several times before the vinegar comes out clean.  

Of course a lot depends on how "hard" your water is -- those minerals are what creates the scale in the first place.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

16 hours ago, clueliss said:

People pour white vinegar into the second rinse in the washing machine to brighten up clothing and (I think) help rinse more soap out of the clothes.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

17 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I use 50% White Vinegar, 50% water.  Run through the coffee maker or boil in the kettle.  Then I do the same with plain water to rinse out any remaining nasties (and make sure the vinegar is gone). 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I am making cherry vinegar. I can't drink alcohol anymore but had a batch of cherry wine brewing. So, it's now going to be become cherry vinegar. I am so excited to taste it when it's done. I might do cider next year when apples are in season.

• Upvote 6

On 1/15/2021 at 11:26 AM, finnlassie said:

Btw - is dipping stuff in apple cider vinegar a thing in the South? At first I felt a bit weirded out, til I realised that I absolutely LOVE salt and vinegar crisps!

My vet once told me to dip my dogs paws in acv to help with bacterial infections caused by her chewing at her paws due to allergies. My dog was not having it one bit.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

23 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I use apple cider vinegar when I make cucumbers and onions. I don't like it when it's made with white vinegar.  I love french fries with vinegar at the beach (specifically Thrashers Fries in Rehoboth Beach).

Thrashers (Ocean City) makes fries straight from the hands of God. 

• Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic