IGNORED

Ridleys from Snow, OK

starfish

From what I read, the staff discovered the pressure sore on Friday, she was transferred to the hospital on Saturday, the 

surgery was on Sunday, and she was back at rehab on Tuesday. So she was gone about 3 or 4 days.  She's doing better with

Covid, but I was think that would be devastating for someone with her injuries. But so far she's coping.

But I also wanted to mention that the doctor at the rehab prescribed her a "Freedom Bed" which "is a computer-controlled therapy system that automatically (and/or manually) turns the patient to different stable sleeping positions without anyone's assistance" and it's supposed to help prevent the sores.

Good for Evelyn and good for modern medicine, not to mention insurance. 

• Upvote 7

21 hours ago, starfish said:

But I also wanted to mention that the doctor at the rehab prescribed her a "Freedom Bed" which "is a computer-controlled therapy system that automatically (and/or manually) turns the patient to different stable sleeping positions without anyone's assistance" and it's supposed to help prevent the sores.

This is also good for staff.  Leaning over a bed to turn people is inherently very hard on lower backs.  Lots of injuries and issues with this so having a bed that does it for you is great!  Win/win for staff and patient! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

One would suppose her age and immobility alone would be sufficient risk to warrant a therapeutic surface in the first place. Good grief.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Evelyn updated her caring bridge page. She said that she's had more of those terrible pressure sores. The care center is transitioning away from the "wet vac" treatment they were using and going to bandaging them. If I understood that correctly. She also said she is going to start a new "Gofundme" page soon. She raised about $12,000 on the first one. I wonder if that fundie husband of hers spent the money from donations on something besides her.  Heck, that's probably double his annual income. Evelyn and her family haven't been discussing the husband much at all. The brother runs the caring bridge page. The last I heard, the husband hit a deer on his way to see her and he was having to get his truck repaired. I sincerely hope she can stay in the rehab place as long as possible. I also hope she can qualify for SSI to have income. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 3