IGNORED

M is for Mama 10: Another Narcissist Another Day

Coconut Flan

10 hours ago, Notjean said:

One of the biggest things I've learned as a mom is to make the best decision I can, adapt as needs change, and otherwise move forward without worrying WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.

THIS!!! Do what works for YOU and YOUR family. Be adaptable. What worked for one kid may not work for the next one. Be patient enough to learn about your baby's personality. Some of them show it very early in life. Baby A is almost 6 months old, has 2 teeth...and is now refusing to sit on your lap. She MUST stand. She MUST make high pitched noises and giggle her ass off. She will NOT fall asleep easily. Oh and if you're anywhere near her with food, you MUST share at least a taste. If not, it sets off an atomic bomb sized shit fit from hell. Did I mention that she looks a whole lot like Grandma's baby pictures????

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

Per Abbie’s Insta Story, they were watching the older boys shoot flaming arrows at a Christmas tree in a pond/lake to watch it burn...Is this a “normal” thing people do?!

I live in a fairly rural area, with more than its fair share of rednecks, and have never heard of this.

• WTF 9

I’m going to make a meme out of this:

Experts: “limit your child’s screen time to 1 hour a day.”

Me: *laughs in 2020*

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DarlingEve said:

Per Abbie’s Insta Story, they were watching the older boys shoot flaming arrows at a Christmas tree in a pond/lake to watch it burn...Is this a “normal” thing people do?!

I live in a fairly rural area, with more than its fair share of rednecks, and have never heard of this.

I have to admit, that looked pretty cool. If only they weren't with a large group of friends during a pandemic...

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, DarlingEve said:

It makes me think of how they burned Hoster Tully's body in A Song of Ice and Fire... That was all i could think of during that. 

Never heard of anyone do it with a christmas tree. Or anything else for that matter. 

17 hours ago, DarlingEve said:

Never heard of it. It sounds like fun, though! I now want a turn, but we don't have a suitable lake nearby...

Edited by dharmapunk

Shiloh threw up at church and Abbie makes a post to embarrass him. Its hard to understand why a woman with 10 children would be upset by barf. She tries to hit a note of, 'kids amirite?', but it comes off as irritation and maybe a little ragey. Anyway, I assume that she's talking about Shiloh because he's only referred to as "the toddler" and not included in the happy family pic.

Not to worry though, because Abbie's circumstances don't determine her joy. Tell that to people with real problems Abbie, you dumb bitch.

Spoiler

1362588738_Screenshot_20210103-1209192.thumb.png.280d5674f33df00c898980fdf7e9b344.png1452761185_Screenshot_20210103-1209292.png.d1a819ea823b31377fb7328d0683839a.png

Edited by SuperNova
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 5
  • Thank You 3

Grape juice and activated charcoal are both stomach bug deterrent?! On what planet? Where do people get this shit?

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

8 minutes ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Grape juice and activated charcoal are both stomach bug deterrent?! On what planet? Where do people get this shit?

Have fun cleaning up grape juice and activated charcoal puke, Abbie Simon.

When I was preschool age, I woke up really early one morning and made myself a hearty breakfast of a pitcher of grape juice and a 2 pound bag of chocolate chips. I woke my mom up by announcing, "I PUKED!" Our living room carpet never fully recovered.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 17

Who exactly is chugging grape juice and activated charcoal? Is it Shiloh the kid who is sick? Is it Abbie if she cleaned up the puke? Is it Simon or whoever cleaned it? In case the bug is contagious, the cleaner doesn't want to get sick. Is it all the kids, in case the bug is airborn?

Cleaning up puke is gross, but that's why I don't have 10 kids and probably never will.  How old is Shiloh? and How old is Abbie?

• Upvote 4

I hate the activated charcoal trend. Yes, it is used for people who may overdose or accidentally poison themselves. It is supposed to keep your body from absorbing the poison/drug. But that doesn’t mean you should use it for a million other things! Like a sour stomach. This is when you give your kid ginger ale. Because if he pukes that up, it won’t stain. And ginger has been shown to calm sour stomachs. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 14

9 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Braggie is an anti vaxxer. They're not known for their superior grasp of health topics. 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Abbie swears by it; she just hasn't talked about it in awhile. I'll leave the link to her blog post: http://www.misformama.net/2017/03/mama-life-hacks-11-grape-juice-activated-charcoal-to-combat-stomach-bugs.html

Apparently some of her readers gave her that tip when Shaun was on a work trip while she was pregnant with Theo and all of the kids got sick. She then did some thorough online research, decided there is science behind it as charcoal "absorbs" the evil bacteria causing the stomach bug and grape juice carries some "particular acid", also combating said bacteria. According to Abbie, the grape juice only works preventatively and she is aware of the purple puke, but it is needed to mask the black colour the charcoal will lend to any drink; and the charcoal apparently also works to stop an already ongoing bug.

Re: the burning of the christmas tree. That would be a norse funeral ritual, about as pagan as it gets. Also, you won't see me handing flaming arrows to teenage boys in a hurry. Whatever could go wrong?

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

A bit OT re various “bugs”:

1) After I retired a couple of years ago, I was amazed to see I stopped getting sick—no colds, no flu-like symptoms. Guess that working in a “tight building” isn’t the healthiest possible environment.

2) In COVID lockdown, friends who carefully follow health precautions have reported getting sick *less*—no seasonal colds or respiratory ailments. It’s almost as if there are effective ways of preventing the transmission of germs.

I’ll be getting the vaccine as soon as I can, but I’ll be masking up for a *long* time after that!

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Hane said:

A bit OT re various “bugs”:

1) After I retired a couple of years ago, I was amazed to see I stopped getting sick—no colds, no flu-like symptoms. Guess that working in a “tight building” isn’t the healthiest possible environment.

2) In COVID lockdown, friends who carefully follow health precautions have reported getting sick *less*—no seasonal colds or respiratory ailments. It’s almost as if there are effective ways of preventing the transmission of germs.

I’ll be getting the vaccine as soon as I can, but I’ll be masking up for a *long* time after that!

My kids are kids Who get a bunch of colds every cold and flu season. My kids haven’t had a cold since February 2020. Obviously masks and social distancing work well against the common cold. If Braggie was following guidelines, her kids wouldn’t be sick. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kids are kids Who get a bunch of colds every cold and flu season. My kids haven’t had a cold since February 2020. Obviously masks and social distancing work well against the common cold. If Braggie was following guidelines, her kids wouldn’t be sick. 

Yes this is one of the bright spots with covid. My family has been very careful. My kids normally pick up all sorts of colds and stomach bugs. No one has been sick since February 2020. It has been wonderful! Although I am looking forward to getting to do normal things again sometime.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

44 minutes ago, Baxter said:

Yes this is one of the bright spots with covid. My family has been very careful. My kids normally pick up all sorts of colds and stomach bugs. No one has been sick since February 2020. It has been wonderful! Although I am looking forward to getting to do normal things again sometime.

It’s seriously the only bright spot for us. I’ve been pretty miserable so I hope things will get back to normal ASAP. Although it will be nice if kids spread colds around less in the future because they’ve learned better hand washing skills, coughing/sneezing into their elbows, and staying away from people if they are feeling sick. My kids have always done these things, but I’m thinking kids may take it more seriously now and don’t forget to sneeze into their elbow.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s seriously the only bright spot for us. I’ve been pretty miserable so I hope things will get back to normal ASAP. Although it will be nice if kids spread colds around less in the future because they’ve learned better hand washing skills, coughing/sneezing into their elbows, and staying away from people if they are feeling sick. My kids have always done these things, but I’m thinking kids may take it more seriously now and don’t forget to sneeze into their elbow.

Yeah it has been hard. My husband and I are very worried about getting sick with covid. But I feel bad that we are robbing our kids of their childhood and not getting to do all the fun things we normally would with them. I would say the only other bright spot would be that since my husband has been working from home, he has gotten to spend more time with the kids. My daughter is 19 months now. She is constantly doing new things and he has gotten to share in that. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Bad news don't count on that and don't hate me but expect more bugs the first bit that they go back :( With our schools open even with precautions, the first weeks back both of mine who are rarely sick, both brought stuff home and worse one gave it to both of us adults too. We were the sickest we had been in ages, but after a few months we seemed to get our steam back. But schools are closing again so who knows what happens next go around :(

And ginger is totally better the grape juice and activated charcoal  for a bad stomach. Mythbusters even found ginger the best non medicinal remedy for seasickness too. But activated charcoal is on trend right now, that is how you get a lot of the black foods. Personally, I find it the best thing to remove stick from things like trash bins and cat boxes, even used it in the nappy/diaper pail. But not keen on eating any. These people seem to believe everything they read but actual science.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, tankgirl said:

Bad news don't count on that and don't hate me but expect more bugs the first bit that they go back :( With our schools open even with precautions, the first weeks back both of mine who are rarely sick, both brought stuff home and worse one gave it to both of us adults too. We were the sickest we had been in ages, but after a few months we seemed to get our steam back. But schools are closing again so who knows what happens next go around :(

And ginger is totally better the grape juice and activated charcoal  for a bad stomach. Mythbusters even found ginger the best non medicinal remedy for seasickness too. But activated charcoal is on trend right now, that is how you get a lot of the black foods. Personally, I find it the best thing to remove stick from things like trash bins and cat boxes, even used it in the nappy/diaper pail. But not keen on eating any. These people seem to believe everything they read but actual science.

Mine have gone back hybrid and still haven’t caught anything. Luckily their school is militant about covid.

• Upvote 4

Activated charcoal and grape juice? 

I’ve had salmonella poisoning that landed me in the hospital three times. If I’d known that chowing down on some briquettes and Welch’s would have saved me thousands of dollars I would have just done that! 

/s, because last time almost sent me to the great beyond, I don’t think any amount of charcoal would have stopped that! 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

Little one goes back next Monday or Tuesday for in person school again. I'm relieved. I need to get my crap together and get my office finished so I can start teaching...It turns out one of my former troublemakers is repeating the class this session...UGH

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic