IGNORED

Maxwell 45: Steve Flaunting His Vest Deferens

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

The Corelle I know about is glass,  very reusable. 

Kinda like churros, right?  Awfully good with ice cream, but doubting that gets served much in Maxland.

Probably even a closer equivalent to buñuelos but baked. But yeah, that general idea flavor wise at least.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, freethemall said:

What did they mean as part of breakfast dessert they had "pie crust with cinnamon and sugar". Like, pieces of cooked pie crust cut up? Is that a thing?

There is a Maxwell legend where Teri once sprinkled the crusts with red pepper (or something similar) instead of cinnamon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

The Corelle I know about is glass,  very reusable. 

Kinda like churros, right?  Awfully good with ice cream, but doubting that gets served much in Maxland.

In my experience, churros are deep-fried and decadent. Pie crust cookies are baked and just out of the oven they are delicious, especially if you slather the crust with butter before the cinnamon sugar sprinkle. Somehow I suspect Teri's are more spartan but I'm going to try to convince myself that they are rolled and sliced like @Granwych's doodoos.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Joe Pukepail said:

The styrofoam plate users can fuck all the way off, though.

I also suspect European people have a sort of embedded cultural consciousness about environmental stewardship that we...don't. There are food additives, for example, that are illegal in the EU but nobody bats an eyelash here about them. EU emissions standards are stricter. It's a lot of little things like that, and people sort of absorb them over the course of a lifetime.

I spent some time on an island in the West Pacific that I would have called "unspoiled" except for all the styrofoam plates and other plastics in huge piles all along the beaches. (The more style conscious hermit crabs would turn the bottle caps into homes and it was a little unnerving to see a shampoo bottle cap scuttling along the beach. But, I digress. The styrofoam plates were really a case of a sustainable cultural practice being subverted by one small change. Until a couple of decades ago the islanders used banana leaves for plates at their barbecues. They'd discard the leaves in the brush, any food scraps would be taken care of by the wild chickens and the land crabs, and the banana leaves would break down. Possibly the introduction of paper plates would have been relatively benign, but the styrofoam plates last forever.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 6

56 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

There is a Maxwell legend where Teri once sprinkled the crusts with red pepper (or something similar) instead of cinnamon. 

I have both cayenne powder and cinnamon in same-style shakers and I use them both daily, at least during oatmeal weather. (one shake cayenne, three shakes cinnamon, plus salt)

You can be assured that I'm very careful to replace each of them in their assigned location on my spice tray, so I don't get them confused!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ElizaB said:

Yup! Cayenne! https://blog.titus2.com/2017/07/11/whats-on-the-outside/

The 'cheese paper' incident was also a Teri thing (and the one who ended up with the sandwich with it).

Seems like you might not ever know what you're going to get with something she makes...

Edited by jakesykora
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

17 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Reusable plastic (“Corelle” is plastic, right?) plates are just as uncommon here, at least for adults (there are colorful plastic plates/spoons available for small children only just learning to eat solid foods).

I know plates made of melamine for camping or sailing. But you have to be careful with hot dishes - it's not healthy if it gets warmer than 70 degrees celsius: https://www.test.de/Melamin-Geschirr-Gesundheitsgefahr-durch-Erhitzen-4238495-0/

I only used paper plates while moving when all my kitchen stuff was still packed away in moving boxes. Using disposal plates at a Christmas dinner would be a sacrilege.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

17 hours ago, Fun-Dee said:

Corelle is glass, but it's made in such a way to make it "almost" unbreakable.  I say almost, because it can break and most instances I've heard of it breaking, it shatters into a million pieces.  It comes in a lot of different pattens, and is the every day dishes for a lot of people.  I've had my set for 35 years and have never broken a plate.  As far as paper plates, I'm not above using them for a sandwich or pizza or something casual.  If I'm cooking dinner I personally wouldn't use them, but a lot of people do. 

I still have some of my mom’s 70s Corelle plates(white with a green border).

I remember a couple of plates did break when I was young.  To the company’s credit, they replaced them for free.

ETA:  This pattern.

CB934B85-D751-4ED8-ABE2-E7105DBA602D.png

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 12

10 years later and this is still a Maxhell hope (or maybe not because it's probably never going to happen)

....as is hoped, someday the Lord will bring the right guy for Sarah, and she’ll no longer be available to do what she does.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 3

My husband and I registered for a Corelle set for our wedding last year! They’re so easy to use and wash, but they get hot so quickly! We use the bowls for soup, but you almost have to hold them with a pot holder because the bottom of the bowl gets hot fast. We love them other than that and got this pattern for ours:

Spoiler

image.jpeg.5baf6a8f296fb32a9bf366769fda4154.jpeg

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I still have some of my mom’s 70s Corelle plates(white with a green border).

I remember a couple of plates did break when I was young.  To the company’s credit, they replaced them for free.

ETA:  This pattern.

CB934B85-D751-4ED8-ABE2-E7105DBA602D.png

My mom has this pattern.  I think most people's moms, or grandmas had this pattern in the 70's!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

We use Corelle for our every day dishes.

I agree with the above poster who pointed out how stackable they are.  They're as thin as paper plates but much more durable.  And much better for the environment.  And better looking.  The cereal/soup bowls that come with the set are fairly small though. Maybe you can order larger ones separately?

• Upvote 4

Corelle is a horror show. Theoretically unbreakable but they really need to add a warning because it most definitely CAN break--even a tap will do it if you hit the sweet spot--and when it does watch out. Millions of tiny shards, each one needle sharp--I've gotten some pretty bad cuts from it--and it's a nightmare to sweep or vacuum up because the teeny, tiny bits go all over the place like fine dust. I've broken far more Corelle than I ever have with our other dishes and we finally just banished it from our house.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

10 years later and this is still a Maxhell hope (or maybe not because it's probably never going to happen)

Teri made clear one or two years ago that they don't expect Sarah to marry. It was in Sarah's birthday post and was beyond sad. Not because singleness is sad, but because Teri made Sarah look as a loser.

• Sad 8
  • WTF 1

I've never had Corelle, but for years my dishes were clear glass Arcoroc. I think most pieces in the 70's were under $5.00, plates were under $1.00. You had to drop them on concrete in order to break them and even then it wasn't a given. But they scratched like crazy. When I got married I started acquiring the dishes I still use today for every occasion. They are German-made porcelain, pricey for everyday dishes but not for "good china", but in 40+ years, including those years with 1 or more toddlers in the house, I have yet to break one. And, because the patterns I have are discontinued, the dishes now sell on ebay for more than I paid for them!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

My husband and I registered for a Corelle set for our wedding last year! They’re so easy to use and wash, but they get hot so quickly! We use the bowls for soup, but you almost have to hold them with a pot holder because the bottom of the bowl gets hot fast. We love them other than that and got this pattern for ours:

Hide contents

I now microwave-heat everything in Pyrex measuring cups and pour it into / onto bowls / plates. I have 2 sets of the measuring cups and my favorites are the ones with the handle that’s only attached at the top.  Easy to grab, with or without heatproof mitts or pot holders.  
OC to look for a photo, as my description seems woefully inept! 

https://foxandgrapesco.com/p/pyrex-3-piece-glass-measuring-cup-set-measuring-cup-3-pack/?msclkid=5dcd771dac1f1a57e47d28e04c209d32

Also woefully unable to make this a pretty link. Back to bed!! 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

14 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Thanks to everyone who explained about Corelle! We don’t really have it here, so I didn’t know. (Almost) Unbreakable glass, that’s really smart!

I don’t think having lots of children is an excuse for only using paper plates. Firstly, it means there are more hands to make it work (dish washing duty would be a major chore, but then it would only be each person’s turn once per week or so). Secondly, there are dish washers, and everyone can simply put their own plate in after a meal. And finally, if you can’t manage to properly provide for your children, don’t have so many.

Yes, paper plates may seem like (and probably are) a small issue compared to educational neglect, brainwashing, “instant obedience” and child beatings, lack of food and children being forced to raise their siblings. But still, it’s a pet peeve of mine and (at least to me) feels like it’s something that embodies and is symptomatic of so many things wrong with that lifestyle. Laziness, lack of time and dedication to raising and properly feeding children, lack of (eating) culture.., it’s such a sad environment for children to grow up in.

I totally agree with you on all of this. Like I said, I try (and mostly fail) to not judge, because once the kids exist, I'm all for doing whatever it takes to make their lives a little less shitty.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

We use the bowls for soup, but you almost have to hold them with a pot holder because the bottom of the bowl gets hot fast. We love them other than that and got this pattern for ours:

Hide contents

Hot bowls...that is exactly why I have been hoping to make it to our local farmers’ market to get some “bowl cozies” 

I might have to check online  

4C091FA1-CF30-4AFF-8CA2-48F08C2CCCF6.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 3

Doing some random clicking on the blog and found two more talking about pie crust. For this neighborhood ladies’ lunch they cut out pie crust with the huge Wilton cookie cutters. They may be making an idol of pie crust with cinnamon. 

9F963BD7-93D2-47CC-B242-02C4BC037F4A.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I now microwave-heat everything in Pyrex measuring cups and pour it into / onto bowls / plates. I have 2 sets of the measuring cups and my favorites are the ones with the handle that’s only attached at the top.  Easy to grab, with or without heatproof mitts or pot holders.  
OC to look for a photo, as my description seems woefully inept! 

Those are the same ones I use and my kids won't use anything else after having grown up with them.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Dead horse me if you must, I don't care.  This is weirder than cheese papers, lettuce pizza cutters, and dusting the fans by schedule, all put together! 

DSC_1983.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 2

19 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I spent some time on an island in the West Pacific that I would have called "unspoiled" except for all the styrofoam plates and other plastics in huge piles all along the beaches. (The more style conscious hermit crabs would turn the bottle caps into homes and it was a little unnerving to see a shampoo bottle cap scuttling along the beach. But, I digress. The styrofoam plates were really a case of a sustainable cultural practice being subverted by one small change. Until a couple of decades ago the islanders used banana leaves for plates at their barbecues. They'd discard the leaves in the brush, any food scraps would be taken care of by the wild chickens and the land crabs, and the banana leaves would break down. Possibly the introduction of paper plates would have been relatively benign, but the styrofoam plates last forever.

We were in both New Caledonia and Vanuatu last winter (weep, it seems like a lifetime ago now), and there were piles of styrofoam and plastic, bulldozed into building sized bins and covered with palm leaves to try to hide them from the tourists. I almost cried. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 7

2 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Dead horse me if you must, I don't care.  This is weirder than cheese papers, lettuce pizza cutters, and dusting the fans by schedule, all put together! 

DSC_1983.jpg

Accurately or not, I keep Mel in my mental Maxwell tableau as stealth normal mom.  One of her sisters is a moderately successful country-pop singer in Nashville, TN, and apparently has experienced some pretty horrific stuff in her life, which she's dealt with via her music. 

She's as beautiful as Mel, which says something about Mel still looking great after so many pregnancies and home-schooling so many kidlings, all of whom seem to still have a heckuva spark in their eyes. 

Yes, even Abby.   I am the oldest sister of sisters and coming from a conservative-but-loving, old-style Lutheran family, and I know the expectations on the firstborn! Of course it's entirely not possible to comment insightfully on Abby from snapshots of her in Widely Smiling Happy SAHD-In-Training Mode, but I want to believe the Nate Max kids are -- and are gonna be -- alright.

TLTR: Wear them clodhoppers inside the Fathership, Melanie!  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic