IGNORED

Maxwell 45: Steve Flaunting His Vest Deferens

Coconut Flan

We have an old family friends. The couple are in their 80’s (old Italian couple). They both had brothers who never married or had kids. This couple had 4 daughters. Of the 4 daughters 3 of them have kids for a total of 10. (8 boys & 2 girls). The girls never had first cousins. But their kids do. 2 of them live in towns next to each other & their kids went to school together. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 4

I have siblings and cousins that are pretty much like siblings. I do refer to them as my cousin, but growing up we went to the same schools and spent many, many nights at each other's houses. Even now (pre covid) the cousins that live in the same area get together 1-4 times a week, depending on the week.

My grandmother was an only child and grew up living next door to her cousin who was also an only They consider themselves sisters. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, fundiewatch said:

Here it is, for anyone who didn’t follow them in 2010. To me, it says so much. Mostly grown, all meeting Steve at 5:45 am for Bible study but they arrive early to chat. This is insane! And they often get up earlier for exercise. I do note that their floors, unlike mine, are clean enough to make a candy sign on. The insistence that Anna is so so busy, all of it. Peak Maxwell. 

https://blog.titus2.com/2010/11/13/an-unusual-birthday-a-day-in-the-life-of-anna/#top

Oh yes one of the top 10 Maxwell posts! The one where they asked the waitress if they could pray for her.  A reader took exception to it and made a comment which resulted in a post all it's  own:

https://blog.titus2.com/2010/11/30/to-care-or-not-to-care/

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

Here it is, for anyone who didn’t follow them in 2010. To me, it says so much. Mostly grown, all meeting Steve at 5:45 am for Bible study but they arrive early to chat. This is insane! And they often get up earlier for exercise. I do note that their floors, unlike mine, are clean enough to make a candy sign on. The insistence that Anna is so so busy, all of it. Peak Maxwell. 

https://blog.titus2.com/2010/11/13/an-unusual-birthday-a-day-in-the-life-of-anna/#top

The saddest part in that blog post:

"Anna is training to be able to do Sarah’s job. For now, this will help Sarah to get the Moody book written, but as is hoped, someday the Lord will bring the right guy for Sarah, and she’ll no longer be available to do what she does."

11 years later...

Also there's a great part when they go out to eat that Steve asks the waitress how they can pray for her and she says "strength". I can only imagine in her head it was "strength to get through serving your crazy lot".

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 17
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, nvmbr02 said:

My grandmother was an only child and grew up living next door to her cousin who was also an only They consider themselves sisters. 

That’s very sweet. I have a client who was like that with her cousin. She had 2 brothers but her first cousin (the only other female in her family) was an only child & she considers her the sister she never had.  

• Upvote 4

My cousin has always been one of my best friends. We were born only a few months apart and live in the same town and sometimes went to the same school. So we were always together. It helped that our parents always got along well so they allowed a million sleepovers growing up. 

• Upvote 4

I HATE it when people pray for me, I always have, but it took me a long while to figure out why. And the why is this: I’m a staunch atheist, and a very, very hard worker. I’m also white, raised upper middle class, a native English speaker, had able bodied privilege and all sorts of other privileges growing up. So for people to say that they’ll pray for me is to tell me that they don’t believe that I can accomplish what I want to without divine intervention from a being that I don’t even believe in. It tells me that my own hard work won’t ever be good enough. And that just annoys me to the point if anger. I don’t want people to pray, I want them to vote people into office who will keep and expand the liberal policies, like Medicare, and federally subsidized housing, that enable me to live. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5

New post up.  Christmas celebration.  Anna and Mary have been delegated to the kiddie table again while Abby is delegated to the adult tables and is put on dish washing duty.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

What did they mean as part of breakfast dessert they had "pie crust with cinnamon and sugar". Like, pieces of cooked pie crust cut up? Is that a thing?

I was looking through other posts in the last month because I'm behind on Maxhell and saw the caroling pictures. What a contrast to the JRod family, seeing the kids in hats and mittens and real coats and shoes, even without snow. And with at least a bit more thought towards COVID and food afterwards, generally well fed. Who would've thought the Rodrigii could actually make the Maxwells look good, in comparison.

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 10

On 1/10/2021 at 12:41 PM, allyisyourpally5 said:

I know sorry, Paper Plate Crew ?

Their kitchen is pretty huge and lots of cabinets, I don’t get why they can’t keep enough plates for everybody! And they’ve got at least two spare bedrooms now....

I don’t know, I “get” paper plates for a party or the odd situation but I just can’t imagine my Christmas Dinner on a paper plate - going all soggy and cold. And it just seems lazy - a lot of dishes but most people there are big enough to just wash their own plate.....it makes such a difference putting your food on a lovely warm dish.

It feels so odd to me that paper plates, apparently, are a thing in the US to use outside of picnics or barbecues (the large scale type, e.g. church or school, not the “with friends in your own backyard” type).

It just isn’t done in Germany. Even in large, stereotypical socioeconomically “poor” families it isn’t a thing. I had never even heard of families using paper plates regularly, instead of “normal” plates. It must be crazy expensive. And yucky, too.

Reusable plastic (“Corelle” is plastic, right?) plates are just as uncommon here, at least for adults (there are colorful plastic plates/spoons available for small children only just learning to eat solid foods).

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

What did they mean as part of breakfast dessert they had "pie crust with cinnamon and sugar". Like, pieces of cooked pie crust cut up? Is that a thing?

Yup. When you make a pie, unless you are really good at rolling out perfect circles of pie crust, there are going to be some scraps. You wad them up, roll them out again, sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar,bake them, and serve them to any small children that happen to be around, calling them "pie crust cookies". Teri thinks they are better than any other kind of cookie, so the girls often bake them for her (without making a pie) as a special treat.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, GreenBeans said:

Reusable plastic (“Corelle” is plastic, right?) plates are just as uncommon here, at least for adults (there are colorful plastic plates/spoons available for small children only just learning to eat solid foods).

Corelle is glass, but it's made in such a way to make it "almost" unbreakable.  I say almost, because it can break and most instances I've heard of it breaking, it shatters into a million pieces.  It comes in a lot of different pattens, and is the every day dishes for a lot of people.  I've had my set for 35 years and have never broken a plate.  As far as paper plates, I'm not above using them for a sandwich or pizza or something casual.  If I'm cooking dinner I personally wouldn't use them, but a lot of people do. 

• Upvote 8

It feels so odd to me that paper plates, apparently, are a thing in the US to use outside of picnics or barbecues (the large scale type, e.g. church or school, not the “with friends in your own backyard” type).

It just isn’t done in Germany. Even in large, stereotypical socioeconomically “poor” families it isn’t a thing. I had never even heard of families using paper plates regularly, instead of “normal” plates. It must be crazy expensive. And yucky, too.

Yeah, it's odd to me too and I was born and raised in the US. When I was a kid we had a picnic basket that was kitted out with plates, flatware, and cups, so we didn't use disposables ever.

When we were living in university family housing I was always struck by what gracious entertainers the German and other European women were. Even if they were just getting together for coffee at a picnic table in our little neighborhood park, the embroidered table linens would be laid out, along with china plates and cups and there'd be several beautiful cakes and pastries. It was all so civilized.

• Upvote 11

We use plastic for picnics and camping.  Paper plates are only for parties with a heap of guests, when there won't be enough regular plates and we don't want to wash up that much.

• Upvote 5

It's weird to me, too. When I was a kid my parents had reusable unbreakable dishes in the picnic supplies, and those baskety things to put under the paper plates to make them more sturdy. I don't understand how people can stand to eat off of paper dishes day after day after day. But I am aware that I have a lot of privilege and I intentionally keep my circle and family small, and doing dishes as we go is just how we roll. I especially hate paper bowls for soup. However, my soup bowls don't nest very well, and would have no idea where to store 20+ of them. 

Same with the shoe thing, wearing shoes in the house just isn't a thing that's done around here. I keep a bucket of house shoes for guests and I tell them that the floors are cold so they can leave on their shoes or borrow slippers or bring their own. But no one ever leaves their shoes on. I wish we could afford to get our floors heated. But first I have to redo the bathroom floors and I've been putting that off for years due to being unsure about how to fit the tiles around the toilet. 

• Upvote 7

25 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I wish we could afford to get our floors heated. But first I have to redo the bathroom floors and I've been putting that off for years due to being unsure about how to fit the tiles around the toilet. 

That one I can answer having had several bathrooms redone.  To do it properly you have to remove the toilet and then reseat it after replacing the tile.  Frequently it's just as easy to buy a new toilet at the same time.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, SPHASH said:

New post up.  Christmas celebration.  Anna and Mary have been delegated to the kiddie table again while Abby is delegated to the adult tables and is put on dish washing duty.

That's why they will follow in Sarah's footsteps and never get married & have families of their own. They are the do-parents of all their brothers' children. What would Mel & Nathan do if they had to take care of all their kid's needs all day, every day? What about Chris & Anna? Anna "gets a pass" for now, but in the past - and no doubt the future - how can she raise & home educate six children without the help of "the girls"? 

Their Christmas was a snooze fest. Just like all their other "special" days, and normal days, and busy days and well, 365 days a year. 

• Upvote 6

Oh I retract what I said about the soup, because I see Teri was actually inviting everyone back a second time on Boxing Day after providing full hospitality on Christmas Eve.

The bean gruel wasn't scrimping after all. It was a punishment for the rebels who went out on Christmas eve night ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Yup. When you make a pie, unless you are really good at rolling out perfect circles of pie crust, there are going to be some scraps. You wad them up, roll them out again, sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar,bake them, and serve them to any small children that happen to be around, calling them "pie crust cookies". Teri thinks they are better than any other kind of cookie, so the girls often bake them for her (without making a pie) as a special treat.

My mother would roll out leftover crust, sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar, roll it up again, and cut across into little cookies.   One of my sisters dubbed them “doodoos,”and the name stuck.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

The Corelle I know about is glass,  very reusable. 

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Kinda like churros, right?  Awfully good with ice cream, but doubting that gets served much in Maxland.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

Corelle is some weird glass product made by Corning in western New York, outside of Rochester. They claim it's unbreakable, but because of the manufacturing process, bumping it just right will cause it to literally explode into thousands of incredibly tiny, incredibly sharp shards. 

I think the European thing about dishes is because you guys don't often encounter mega families like the ones we see on this forum and in the wild in the US. I try not to be judgy about the paper plates thing because I guess if I had a million kids, they'd be lucky to get a plate at all. The styrofoam plate users can fuck all the way off, though.

I also suspect European people have a sort of embedded cultural consciousness about environmental stewardship that we...don't. There are food additives, for example, that are illegal in the EU but nobody bats an eyelash here about them. EU emissions standards are stricter. It's a lot of little things like that, and people sort of absorb them over the course of a lifetime.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

That one I can answer having had several bathrooms redone.  To do it properly you have to remove the toilet and then reseat it after replacing the tile.  Frequently it's just as easy to buy a new toilet at the same time.

Well, that makes sense. But if I buy a new toilet, I'll have to get a new tub and sink to match. There was, apparently, a sale on blue bathroom equipment at some point in the 80s, as every house I've lived or owned in this place has blue everything. It's horrible. I'd much rather have avocado green. But logically speaking, I'd probably do the fake wood grey floors and a normal white tub, white toilet, and a brand new sink with storage. I have three interviews this week so maybe in the somewhat near future? Fingers crossed! 

• Upvote 5

On 1/8/2021 at 7:42 PM, kpmom said:

Sorry for being off-topic, but if he has an iphone (or ipad or even an ipod touch) he can go to Find My iPhone app, locate the airpod on the app, and push the Play a  sound button.  The airpod will play a sound so he can (hopefully) find it.

Airpod does have to have battery life and be connected to wifi in order for this to work.

Don't ask me how I know about this so well...:562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

This is timely for me! But unfortunately mine seem to be powerless as well as MIA ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks to everyone who explained about Corelle! We don’t really have it here, so I didn’t know. (Almost) Unbreakable glass, that’s really smart!

I don’t think having lots of children is an excuse for only using paper plates. Firstly, it means there are more hands to make it work (dish washing duty would be a major chore, but then it would only be each person’s turn once per week or so). Secondly, there are dish washers, and everyone can simply put their own plate in after a meal. And finally, if you can’t manage to properly provide for your children, don’t have so many.

Yes, paper plates may seem like (and probably are) a small issue compared to educational neglect, brainwashing, “instant obedience” and child beatings, lack of food and children being forced to raise their siblings. But still, it’s a pet peeve of mine and (at least to me) feels like it’s something that embodies and is symptomatic of so many things wrong with that lifestyle. Laziness, lack of time and dedication to raising and properly feeding children, lack of (eating) culture.., it’s such a sad environment for children to grow up in.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic