IGNORED

Maxwell 45: Steve Flaunting His Vest Deferens

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I read it the same way. I haven't tried the new style that doesn't have the connector rope yet, and I probably won't. I just don't see how they can stay in. Earbuds are always falling out. I have a couple pairs of wired apple headphones and I hate them. They aren't comfortable and they fall out easier than my bose. I also have some yarbuds which I usually use for running. I'd replace them but they have been working for like 6 years now. I'd hate to be out doing something and lose an earbud. I'd never find it again. Or i'd more likely immediately step on it. 

My superintendent lost an AirPod outside a few weeks ago and he sent his wife, daughter, and son-in-law out to fetch it. All I heard was "He probably lost it in the trash!!" There goes a couple hundred bucks into the garbage!

Edited by JoyfulSel
grammar
  • Upvote 2

Every time I see this thread's title, I think it reads "Vast Deferens" and every time, my reptilian but nimble mind says, "We get it, Steve.  They're big and they're unbeatable." LOL!

Carry on, my wayward ones. ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Can't have an adult woman exposing her feet and ankles to a man that isn't her husband!!

All joking aside, I do think there's a connection between fundie modesty hangups and wearing shoes indoors 24/7. I can't quite articulate what it is, though. 

It's like the fundie version of Tobias Fünke and his hangup about being naked on Arrested Development. Instead of (in addition to) being "Never Nudes", they're "Ever Shoed".

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

44 minutes ago, JoyfulSel said:

My superintendent lost an AirPod outside a few weeks ago and he sent his wife, daughter, and son-in-law out to fetch it. All I heard was "He probably lost it in the trash!!" There goes a couple hundred bucks into the garbage!

Sorry for being off-topic, but if he has an iphone (or ipad or even an ipod touch) he can go to Find My iPhone app, locate the airpod on the app, and push the Play a  sound button.  The airpod will play a sound so he can (hopefully) find it.

Airpod does have to have battery life and be connected to wifi in order for this to work.

Don't ask me how I know about this so well...:562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

I use wireless earbuds a lot and most of them don't stay in or the sound is bad (I listen to audiobooks, not music).  They also start to hurt my ears when I wear them hours a day, like I often do.

The ones that fit best in my ears are ironically the wired ones, the cheapo sets, but wireless is really handy as I'm listening to an ipad that is awkward to carry around if I'm in the garden or moving around the house.

My solution has been the headband with speakers, designed for sleeping.  Looks a bit dorky, but I'm beyond caring.  And in the cold it actually helps keep me warm.  Only in the hottest days would it be too hot, I think.

I recommend!

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Headphones-Perytong-Ultra-Thin-Meditation/dp/B07SHBQY7Z/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf1_0?cv_ct_cx=sleep+headband+bluetooth&dchild=1&keywords=sleep+headband+bluetooth&pd_rd_i=B07SHBQY7Z&pd_rd_r=e7ca1ff9-48a5-44bf-9fcd-d8e53e451328&pd_rd_w=iWbBI&pd_rd_wg=iIUVg&pf_rd_p=e0f994a8-a359-40a9-8917-dadca71c7184&pf_rd_r=NGAKY245WRKAM3MVDFQJ&psc=1&qid=1610157484&sr=1-1-526ea17f-3f73-4b50-8cd8-6acff948fa5a

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

11 hours ago, NoseyNellie said:

I totally read Teri's post that SHE chose not to get Apple earbuds.. they are expensive and she worried they would fall out and get lost/damaged.  and I TOTALLY agree with her.  My husband loves his *Brand* items.. and he would buy them for me without thought or question.. but I am frugal and refuse to put money into things like that.. My off brand/lower priced blue tooth work great and feel so much more comfortable for my ears!  This doesn't change that Steve is an idiot.. but I did not get the feeling that she was denied these items ..

I agree with this. This is true for my husband and I as well. His "devices" are much more expensive and name brand than mine. However, this is completely a choice by me. I don't appreciate higher end electronics and wouldn't use the features enough to warrant the price. He on the other hand really appreciates the higher end items. In other areas of our lives the roles are reversed. For instance I love expensive cheese (weird example I know) and he is happy eating off brand cheddar. 

10 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

Did they really just give soup in little plastic bowls for a Christmas family meal?  They know how to celebrate don't they!

To be fair it wasn't really their Christmas meal. This was the 26th- they had their big meal on the 24th. Most of them probably also had a big Christmas dinner too so I don't blame them for wanting something lighter. However, if you are going to do soup I would add some bread. You can also make homemade bread so cheaply so that wouldn't have been cost prohibitive. 

• Upvote 9

10 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

Did they really just give soup in little plastic bowls for a Christmas family meal?  They know how to celebrate don't they!

Soup is a staple meal in the Maxwell home. There have been numerous blog posts about how wonderful soup is. In the last one Teri mentioned they enjoy eating soup year round and wrote about their process. Knowing the Maxwell's they went with the soup because it was easy for Teri to make and they knew everyone would like it. Plus, I think they had a big meal the day before with everyone over. Having something lighter would make sense and having to cook a giant feast can be exhausting. Soup and bean burritos seem to be a go-to meal in their home. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Feeling marginalized. I have weirdly small and shallow ears and no buds ever seem to stay in. My best so far were Yurbuds, but the little silicone thingamabobs that lock into the ear keep falling off, getting lost and being confiscated by the cats. I can’t justify buying an expensive wireless earbud. UncleCloud and the Cloudlets enjoy earbud-friendly ears. Of course. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I’m another one whose ear canals are too small for AirPods. I much prefer the wire ones that are attached. I had a set of AirPods, but my husband lost his (left them on a plane) , so he confiscated mine. Do those things stay in anyone’s ears? 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

30 minutes ago, AuntCloud said:

Feeling marginalized. I have weirdly small and shallow ears and no buds ever seem to stay in. My best so far were Yurbuds, but the little silicone thingamabobs that lock into the ear keep falling off, getting lost and being confiscated by the cats. I can’t justify buying an expensive wireless earbud. UncleCloud and the Cloudlets enjoy earbud-friendly ears. Of course. 

You can order smaller sizes! That's what I did. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 1/6/2021 at 9:33 AM, G33kywife said:

I recently learned that someone who lives on my street thinks Covid is a hoax and is a mask denier. The best worst part? He’s a fricking EMT!!! Apparently while at Costco a few weeks ago, he got into a verbal altercation with someone (not sure if it was an employee or another shopper) over his refusal to wear a mask. So insane. 

As someone with loved ones working in a hospital, I really hope you consider reporting him to his employer. He’s putting countless vulnerable people in lethal danger. 

• Upvote 10

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They said they had ham and bean soup. 

When I was a kid, the absolute worst dinner was always ham and bean soup. My parents admitted when we were adults that they still served it even though all of their children hated it because it was a very cheap meal and when they lived paycheck to paycheck, you had to make some very cheap meals. There was barely any ham in it at all and it basically just tasted like bland salty bean water. I’m now picturing Teri’s ham and bean soup exactly the same way. And I feel sorry for those kids. All they have is saltines to go with it! They didn’t even make some corn bread! 

This is it. I like ham soup and  wouldn't snark on anyone for making an affordable meal.  But this is the family with nice brands and grass fed beef on their CostCo list?  They spend such a lot of time and money on housekeeping. And then serve little picnic bowls of soup without bread on Christmas.  It's Oliver Twist style food. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

My family, and many other people I know, wear shoes or not in the house, it doesn’t really matter. As long as there isn’t mud, snow, etc outside and you wipe your feet on the doormat it’s considered fine. I think one reason is that wood floors are often really cold. Also we had big, messy dogs growing up who brought all kinds of dirt in.
I now wear prescription orthotics inside lace up sneakers. They’re expensive so I only have one pair. At home, I sit down, take off the sneakers, and transfer the orthotics to house shoes. When it’s nasty out I transfer the orthotics to boots. But I’m not supposed to go without the orthotics for more than a few minutes, and transferring them is a bit of a pain, so I guess when it’s safe to visit other houses again and they are shoeless households I’ll just explain that. I can’t imagine anyone being rude enough to say that their floors are more important than my health, and if they are that thoughtless I probably wouldn’t be friends with them. (Like, say, the Maxwells.)

• Upvote 5

Not earbuds, but I purchased two PlayStation Portables(about a year apart)with Obama-era stimulus money, and ended up dropping and breaking the doors on both.

With the cost of games, over $500 in the trash. ?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I’m another one whose ear canals are too small for AirPods. I much prefer the wire ones that are attached. I had a set of AirPods, but my husband lost his (left them on a plane) , so he confiscated mine. Do those things stay in anyone’s ears? 

Not mine. I can't wear most ear buds for very long but Apple ear buds are The Worst. Even when they aren't falling out they aren't properly positioned for good sound. That said, I'm not a fan of having RF that close to my brain (I also don't hold my phone up to my head) so I prefer wired to wireless and I lovelovelove my $50 in-ear monitors (KZ ZS10 Pro for the curious). The 5mm silicone tips (I may have purchased them separately, I forget) are so comfortable I sometimes I forget I'm wearing them, which, yes, can be a problem when they are connected to my laptop and I stand up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

8 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

This is it. I like ham soup and  wouldn't snark on anyone for making an affordable meal. 

Put the Blacks in the pro-soup column because even if we can afford "meat and two sides" meals we much prefer soups and stews in the winter. In the summer, when the garden is almost overwhelming, I make and freeze literally gallons of variations on vegetable soup for the winter, including lots of some FJer's (I have forgotten who) Italian zucchini soup. During the winter there is probably a different legume-based soup in the InstantPot every week or so. Those tiny plastic bowls wouldn't cut it, though. Our soup bowls hold about 16 ounces.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

It is okay that they served soup. It's the way they did it though. I agree they need bigger bowls and some sort of bread or biscuit to go along with it. I often make easy buttermilk drop biscuits. They take 5 minutes to mix up and 15 minutes in the oven. They would be very doable for a larger group. But it's the Maxwells so it seems that their whole goal is to do things as spartanly as possible. What a bleak way to live. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Baxter said:

. I often make easy buttermilk drop biscuits. They take 5 minutes to mix up and 15 minutes in the oven.

Recipe? Pretty please? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

As someone with loved ones working in a hospital, I really hope you consider reporting him to his employer. He’s putting countless vulnerable people in lethal danger. 

I’m about to sound really naive, but I actually had no idea that was even an option. I don’t know what station or hospital system he works for, but if I find out, I will definitely report. Thanks for letting me know that is something people can do!! I appreciate it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

I personally am a “take shoes off at home “ - because I like to put my feet up on the couch (I am right now!)

My bad on misunderstanding the air pod thing. I apologise for misinterpreting. I have to say I received the total opposite of AirPods for my birthday a few years ago when I was given noise cancelling ear phones. They’re huge!but I’ll never loose them! And they’re an absolute blessing on a plane. Total silence or just what o want to listen to. Completely blocked the beguine and the nearby screaming toddler. Bliss.

Are the Maxwells one of our paper plate families? I know they did on the road (which I can understand). 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

@Nothing if not critical here is the link to the recipe. 

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/the-best-drop-biscuits/

They aren't as delicious and flaky as a rolled biscuit. But I have two little kids so these ones are pretty good and quick and easy. So if I can do it with two small children then Teri can certainly do them especially since she has Anna and Mary to help.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, G33kywife said:

I’m about to sound really naive, but I actually had no idea that was even an option. I don’t know what station or hospital system he works for, but if I find out, I will definitely report. Thanks for letting me know that is something people can do!! I appreciate it. 

Since I assume you know his full name, you might also try contacting your county or city board of health and at least ask for help figuring out how and where to report him. Thanks for being willing to take action! Its much harder for places to turn a blind eye if they’re hearing from members of the public about it (and in this case he’s exposing the hospital to lawsuits, too).

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

Here we go again with the shoes in the house discussion.  Maybe next week we can discuss duvets. ?And then peanut butter. ??

Are those paper bowls? The Maxwell Mothership seems to host big family gatherings on a regular basis. You'd think they would invest in dishes for everyone. Though that is a lot of dishes to store. 

They probably don't have bread because Steve is off bread right now so no one can have bread. 

I love soups but I don't think I've ever had ham and bean soup. It doesn't sound very appetizing to me. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Baxter said:

@Nothing if not critical here is the link to the recipe. 

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/the-best-drop-biscuits/

They aren't as delicious and flaky as a rolled biscuit. But I have two little kids so these ones are pretty good and quick and easy. So if I can do it with two small children then Teri can certainly do them especially since she has Anna and Mary to help.

Thank you so much! They look really easy to make - just what I need :)

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 2

I remember, in the first Moody book, the kids were somewhat confused/worried when Mrs Bagwell didn’t take off her shoes when she entered their house to give the kids her pet, and Mrs Bagwell wasn’t in the house that long. So I assumed that shoes off for visitors was standard with the Maxwells. 

I noticed the Maxwell daughters didn’t have shoes on, but then I remembered that of course they wouldn’t have had shoes on because they didn’t leave the house. 

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic