IGNORED

Maxwell 45: Steve Flaunting His Vest Deferens

Coconut Flan

There is a wedding anniversary post up with a CHILDREN'S book extract, and it's making me weep. ? 

"It's OK kids, your mommy hates homeschooling you but she never complains out loud."

Dad nodded. “You’re right. I can’t tell you what a blessing you are to me, Emily. Do you remember the day I came to you and said I felt we should homeschool the children? I know you weren’t very excited about it, but you never complained.”

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 1

They are so pushing their wares, hard! Post after post that promotes their products.

I seriously wonder if there is trouble in Maxhell on the income front. They turn everything into a sales pitch. 

Sarah wrote about the anniversary dinner - and considering she writes only from her tiny world view, as a kid she & the other Maxhell chitluns likely made anniversary dinners for Steve & Teri. It's now in her book. 

"The grandkids didn't get the idea from the family having done it before, they got it from the book - and you should buy it so you can get these ideas too!"

Hate to tell ya' Maxwells, families do shit like this all the time; hell, people who aren't related do it too. It's not new or special and no one needs to buy your poorly written wares in order to do something nice for people they love. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 6

Once again the maxwells make a post about something that after reading we still no nothing about. Nathen’s kids made him and his wife dinner. What was the dinner you ask? 

they never tell us. 

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

From one of the photos, it looks like they had tacos, although it’s not entirely clear.

Omg, that extract... the kids were supposed to address their parents as sir and ma’am, as part of the role play. At one point, Maddie says “mommy”, and one of the other kids reminds her that she should have said “ma’am”. Right at the end of the extract, Maddie apologises for it! 

“I’m sorry I called you mommy, ‘cause I was only supposed to call you ‘ma’am’. But, I can call you Mommy again,” Maddie hugged Mom.

Seriously? We’ve mentioned on here before about how the Moody kids always apologise for the tiniest thing, that other kids wouldn’t apologise for. If my kid did something similar, I wouldn’t expect them to apologise! I’d have just laughed. Maddie’s only four, for God’s sake.

Also, what on Earth is “This-n-That”?? 

In the preface for the book, Sarah says that the Moody family “may seem like a perfect family”. Umm, they most definitely are not. 

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

@Paperplate Neither my parents nor Mr. S. and I own the white dishes. But Mr. S. inherited these salad bowls with THE classic leaf optic from his mum. I have to admit that I broke one of the leaf bowls and it shattered into a million pieces. I was devastated until Mr. S. told me it was okay for him. I hate it when I broke things that somebody really really loves. The large one of these bowls is used for salads every time we eat salad, so multiple times per week. 

Normally I only destroy expensive or unique things. But these 99cents dishes in dark brown that I bought when I moved into my first own apartment, they are unbreakable. The wine glasses (a brand I can't remember, with our names engraved) we got as presents from friends - broken within their first year at our home. These 4 expensive champagne glasses (Ritzenhoff) I got from my mum and my grandma as a present for my first apartment and I loved so much and only used for special occasions- I destroyed three of them. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6

That's the face of a mom trying to smile through a crap dinner knowing she'll need to eat something else after while cleaning up a big mess in the kitchen. Cute idea though, I guess.

nathanmelanieanniversary-copy.jpg

Edited by freethemall
  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

On 1/27/2021 at 5:32 PM, MomJeans said:

Listen, never apologize to a bunch of internet strangers with how you are surviving depression.  You use paper plates? I'm in awe that you are functional enough to plate your food. When it was me, I wasn't.  Seriously. 

There were times when it was an accomplishment just to have cooked some food for myself. So what if I ate eggs straight out of the skillet, while standing at the stove? Plates of any kind? That would have been a stretch.

4 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

@Paperplate Neither my parents nor Mr. S. and I own the white dishes. But Mr. S. inherited these salad bowls with THE classic leaf optic from his mum. I have to admit that I broke one of the leaf bowls and it shattered into a million pieces. I was devastated until Mr. S. told me it was okay for him. I hate it when I broke things that somebody really really loves. The large one of these bowls is used for salads every time we eat salad, so multiple times per week. 

Normally I only destroy expensive or unique things. But these 99cents dishes in dark brown that I bought when I moved into my first own apartment, they are unbreakable. The wine glasses (a brand I can't remember, with our names engraved) we got as presents from friends - broken within their first year at our home. These 4 expensive champagne glasses (Ritzenhoff) I got from my mum and my grandma as a present for my first apartment and I loved so much and only used for special occasions- I destroyed three of them. 

After experiencing a 7.2 earthquake that destroyed everything breakable in my kitchen, including the crystal stemware, and still living in earthquake country, it's IKEA glassware forever.

• Upvote 11

“I can’t believe how wonderful the dessert is! This is the first time the children have made it. I must admit, Jim, at first I felt a little disappointed we wouldn’t be going out for our special date. But, I also knew it would be hard in terms of timing to leave the twins. This has been our best anniversary date yet! The food was delicious, our fellowship even more so, but what meant the most to me was the children’s effort and love."

Because this is totally dialogue that a woman would say to her husband.  

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 22
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

There were times when it was an accomplishment just to have cooked some food for myself. So what if I ate eggs straight out of the skillet, while standing at the stove? Plates of any kind? That would have been a stretch.

I will admit that I rely a decent amount on single-serve microwavable stuff that doesn't need a plate. And on bad days it might be handfuls of cereal out of the box, so anything warm is a step forward, really.

I need to order groceries again. Walmart's grocery pickup is a huge help for me.

18 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

“I can’t believe how wonderful the dessert is! This is the first time the children have made it. I must admit, Jim, at first I felt a little disappointed we wouldn’t be going out for our special date. But, I also knew it would be hard in terms of timing to leave the twins. This has been our best anniversary date yet! The food was delicious, our fellowship even more so, but what meant the most to me was the children’s effort and love."

That's more monologue than dialogue, really. 

But that's the kind of writing that, when seen in a fanfic, will make me roll my eyes and nope out. Mostly because you know it's going to get worse, and that it probably started as a role-play, so instead of dialogue it looks like letters being written back and forth. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

I know!  All that dialog (including the dialog about Emily's reluctance to homeschool) was so friggin' fake sounding. 

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Yeah, I could see those sentiments being expressed, but this is not how people actually speak. 

Also I cannot read "the food was delicious, our fellowship even more so" without wondering where on earth they are supposed to be speaking to each other. My guess is bed.

Edited by Ozlsn
Typos, always typos
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Also I cannot read "the food was delicious, our fellowship even more so" without wondering where on earth they are supposed to be speaking to each other. My guess is bed.

Yeah that "fellowship" seems a lot *wink wink, nudge nudge* to me. Seeing as it's the Maxwells, they are probably pretty clueless that it might be seen that way - but I could see most people giggling at that a little.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

Ah IKEA glassware. I totally forgot that I had those IKEA wine glasses. I broke them all. But the normal IKEA glasses are still here and intact. Maybe I only break glassware for alcoholic beverage and it has nothing to do with the price? Hm but did I ever serve punch out of the salad bowl? 

• Upvote 9

Holy cr*p.  I've never bothered to read any of the Moody books.

I know I'm over thinking it, but to me, it is an unpleasant insight into the Maxwell kids' lives growing up.

• Profusely apologizing for using the wrong word? [Living a life of shame & guilt as a small child- that sounds healthy.]
  • Children explaining that the salad is "complimentary" [I can imagine that Steve only allowed everyone to order one item at a restaurant, and getting a side salad was a big deal, and it had to be with the entrée.  Actually, I don't want to imagine how awful it must have been to go to a restaurant with Steve growing up.]
  • Dad telling Mom "You've stayed home for so many weeks because of the twins, and you haven't been unhappy." [I think Sarah was pulling dialogue she recalled from her childhood, or wished she heard in her childhood. Not sure which is worse.]

On a separate note- they is always speculation that the daughters had no opportunity to marry.  I'm of the opinion that there was likely a man or two that inquired about courtship, and Steve said no.  No proof, but they went to so many conferences back in the day, I really think that at least one daughter caught a 'godly young man's eye'.  The sons all managed to meet women, and tbh, the daughters are more attractive.

Edited by MomJeans
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Is it awful that all I could think was why is it a big deal the kids made their parents dinner? Isn’t that what they always do in Maxwell land? I think Sarah put homeschooling in the conversation between the parents because she has no idea what people in a relationship talk about with each other. She probably didn’t realize there are things other than kids and homeschooling  a couple might discuss even when their kids are serving them dinner. I am surprised there wasn’t a discussion about it being time to mulch the garden or about what to discuss at the evening Bible time.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

When did Nathan start going bald?  That's a lot of hair loss. Mel does not look happy in that photo.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

I saw the anniversary post for Nathan and Melanie. I think it is a cute and sweet idea for the kids to make their parents dinner for their anniversary. It looks like they had tacos and salad.  Also, Abigail is twelve, so it wouldn't surprise me if she knows some of the cooking basics. The family has done posts where she (as well as Tina and Bethany) are assisting in the kitchen and cooking. Chances are the kids wanted to make the meal and they went with a meal they knew how to cook that they enjoy. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

When did Nathan start going bald?  That's a lot of hair loss. Mel does not look happy in that photo.

Melanie & Nathan look like they want to left alone to eat their dinner, not pose for pictures.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, fundiefan said:

They are so pushing their wares, hard! Post after post that promotes their products.

I seriously wonder if there is trouble in Maxhell on the income front. They turn everything into a sales pitch. 

Sarah wrote about the anniversary dinner - and considering she writes only from her tiny world view, as a kid she & the other Maxhell chitluns likely made anniversary dinners for Steve & Teri. It's now in her book. 

"The grandkids didn't get the idea from the family having done it before, they got it from the book - and you should buy it so you can get these ideas too!"

Hate to tell ya' Maxwells, families do shit like this all the time; hell, people who aren't related do it too. It's not new or special and no one needs to buy your poorly written wares in order to do something nice for people they love. 

I have noticed they are pushing their stuff more, too. But I don't know who would be buying this stuff now. Most of their followers already have their books. 

Really, they need new material, though I'm not sure what they'd write about now. A cookbook, maybe? Planning for retirement? Courting? It would all be crap, but at least they'd have something new for their customers who already have all their books. 

• Upvote 11

11 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Really, they need new material, though I'm not sure what they'd write about now. A cookbook, maybe? Planning for retirement? Courting? It would all be crap, but at least they'd have something new for their customers who already have all their books

Planning for death? Steve should be all over that one.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 15

11 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I'm very clumsy, partly because I can only see out of one eye and don't have depth perception. When I moved into my current apartment, my grandma gave me a box of unused drinking glasses. They ended up being single use. I don't know if the glass was especially brittle or what, but I destroyed the entire box of 20+ glasses in under a month. My mom ended up finding some really heavy pub style pint glasses and I have yet to more than chip one. 

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Are you suggesting that these two things are related? I honestly can't tell.

Nathan has been balding for basically the entire existence of the Titus 2 blog, anyway. Melanie definitely knew when they got together. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

In keeping with the idea of “that’s not how people talk”, we should remember this piece of utterly bizarre phrasing in the first book:

“No. That’s too much noise for an opossum. I imagine it’s a cougar! Time is of the utmost importance. We must wake Dad.”

The kid in question is EIGHT YEARS OLD. Normal eight year olds would say something like “Oh no, what if it’s a cougar? Quick! Let’s go and wake Dad!”

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 16
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

That excerpt was atrocious. I have read fanfics by teenagers that were better then that drivel. The dialogue is clunky and overall the story (from what was shown) does not flow right.  

• it’s mentioned that the parents are dressed up but doesn’t go into detail

• the menu is mentioned but not the contents or anything other than it was “neatly printed”

• the ‘observations’ made by the parents is... odd. Dad noticed the lack of a notepad? Really?

There is so much detail that could have been added to make the story more interesting and flow better. 

I know Sarah is probably trying her best, but the lack of creativity and her writing style shows that she was never really given the chance to expand her imagination. Her writing style seems to be very stagnant. It’s never progressed beyond the very basics. It’s just sad.  

Edited by Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 12

I swear, every time I read an excerpt of one of Sarah’s novels, I want to rewrite it and make it into something normal.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic