IGNORED

Maxwell 45: Steve Flaunting His Vest Deferens

Coconut Flan

On 1/26/2021 at 10:43 AM, Austrian Atheist said:

"They’ve been through so much together: 4+ years of infertility, losing their first daughter at 3 days old, the roller coaster of high-risk pregnancies and births, and miscarriages."

Geez, you are right. What a "fun" laudation...

Because I’m a horrible person, my immediate thought was, “That’s why birth control would have been a better idea than non-stop pregnancy.”

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

21 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I think she likes her hair to look a wild. It also seems to be naturally curly and hard-to-tame. When you first said something, I was concerned she was depressed. Now I've looked I don't see what you're talking about. 

At some point, and I have no idea when because life itself blurs together, nevermind Maxhell & it's one giant blob of all the same all the time, someone - I think in comments - noticed Anna wearing her hair curly. Sarah responded that she (Anna) had "recently discovered" she has curly hair & has been wearing it that way since. 

How does a grown adult "recently discover" they have curly hair as opposed to...whatever she thought it was the preceding years of her life? Short of intentional change, which many of us do (perms, straighteners, color, etc) or a hormonal change (pregnancy, birth, ageing, illness, chemo where it is all lost & comes back differently, etc) how did she just one day notice she has curly hair to decide that is how she wants to wear it now? 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

At some point, and I have no idea when because life itself blurs together, nevermind Maxhell & it's one giant blob of all the same all the time, someone - I think in comments - noticed Anna wearing her hair curly. Sarah responded that she (Anna) had "recently discovered" she has curly hair & has been wearing it that way since. 

How does a grown adult "recently discover" they have curly hair as opposed to...whatever she thought it was the preceding years of her life? Short of intentional change, which many of us do (perms, straighteners, color, etc) or a hormonal change (pregnancy, birth, ageing, illness, chemo where it is all lost & comes back differently, etc) how did she just one day notice she has curly hair to decide that is how she wants to wear it now? 

If Anna has "just noticed" that she has curly hair, then she needs to learn how to care for it.  That will make her life so much easier.  Cleanse with very gentle shampoo, moisture the heck out of it and use the appropriate styling products,  Oh, and avoid terry-cloth towels for drying.  You can get decent microfiber towels in the automotive section.

As a curly "girl" of 66 years,  I've known for more than 60 of them that I had curly hair.  People were always commenting on it.  

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

I think there are like...methods??? to wash and care for "wavy" hair to make its latent curl more apparent. I'm over here with my type 1A hair so I'm not really sure wtf I'm talking about, but maybe Anna somehow stumbled onto such a thing. 

10 hours ago, Granwych said:

Oh Lordy, if Grampwych ever strutted about in a red satin “ball buster”, I’d be rolling on the floor, laughing hysterically. 

You just never know what will make you feel frisky until you try! ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

I have multiple friends who post their meals on disposable plates. None have more than two children and several have one. It drives me nuts. 

*hides*  I use disposable plates. 

It's just me in the house, and I have depression, and while the meds are helping they still aren't getting me to the point of having energy to do things I hate like dishes. At one point I was trying to do all the environmentally-conscious stuff I know I SHOULD do, but instead it ended up with a sink full of dishes and a laundry hamper full of washcloths, and I made the decision that for now, what I can handle is disposable plates. I do try to use them as little as possible, but right now that's where I'm at. 

So if it was years ago when Teri was suffering from untreated depression and had a bunch of kids, I can totally see them using paper plates. Now, however? With that many people in the house, none of whom have out-of-the-home jobs, and who are all adults? Yeah, not cool. Heck, you'd think the girls would probably enjoy the opportunity to talk with just a couple of them instead of having dad over their shoulder the whole time, since I'm sure Steve probably isn't into doing dishes.

4 hours ago, Hane said:

Because I’m a horrible reasonable, intelligent person, my immediate thought was, “That’s why birth control would have been a better idea than non-stop pregnancy.”

FTFY.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 21

@Alisamer I’ve been there. ? Solidarity. I fully support running the dishwasher twice, using disposable, only eating cereal, convenience foods etc to get through! All that is, is an accommodation. 

There are people who... it’s just poor decision making. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

If Anna has "just noticed" that she has curly hair, then she needs to learn how to care for it.  That will make her life so much easier.  Cleanse with very gentle shampoo, moisture the heck out of it and use the appropriate styling products,  Oh, and avoid terry-cloth towels for drying.  You can get decent microfiber towels in the automotive section.

As a curly "girl" of 66 years,  I've known for more than 60 of them that I had curly hair.  People were always commenting on it.  

I'm a curly "girl" of 53 who has spent most of her life beating the curls into submission. When flat-irons became commonplace 20 or so years ago, I snapped one up & have never been without one since. I just can't abide my messy, frizzy, every which way curls. 

But, I've always known they exist. I never just woke up one morning and "noticed" my curls and decided to go with it. For as long as I've been alive, I've known of them and as I said, beat them into submission. 

Funny story - I've done it so long that no one who doesn't see me with a wet head even knows (remembers) the curls exist. A few years ago, a bunch of us were out of town for a girls/family weekend, and I went down for breakfast right after my shower, before taming my hair; it was wet & curly. My MOTHER was shocked and asked when I got curly hair - did I get a perm and why? The same mother who raised me and had her own battles with my curls when I was too little to do it myself.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I have hair that is kind of ambivalent - if I want to straighten it, it won't straighten, but if I want to curl it, it doesn't take the curl either - but with the right cut (shoulder length, with a bit of layers) and the right product, it's curlier than I realized when I was wearing it in a blunt, waist-length cut - and that's a realization I made well into adulthood. Remember, the Maxgirls appear to have grown up without being allowed to maximize their looks. Witness Teri's drab, long hair when a better cut would certainly frame her face more attractively. It's possible that someone - maybe the friend from the post, maybe a SIL - noticed Anna's hair's potential and suggested some products/techniques beyond "wash 1-2 times per week with the cheapest shampoo Costco sells and brush twice a day" and so she indeed "recently discovered" what her hair is capable of. Her sisters' hair seems to be stick-straight by nature so she has probably spent her entire life caring for it the way they care for theirs, and cursing it (in whatever fashion Maxes curse anything they don't like) for it looking "wrong" because it didn't behave like theirs.

I also had a hairstylist tell me years ago that every seven years, our hair "changes" in some textural way. So maybe that's a factor as well. But my money is on, her hair didn't look like a late-80s spiral perm so she never considered it curly and wasn't aware until recently that there's a whole method of caring for that.

I hope whoever the curl expert is is also speaking wisdom into Anna Marie's life as her hair grows back in. Her hair, even when waist-length, had a gorgeous wave to it. I'm sure she has the potential for some adorable curly-girl looks even if they're temporary as her hair grows long again.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I'm 42 and I've recently discovered that I have quite wavy hair.  I always just thought it was a big ball of weird frizz so I straightened it.  My stylist thinks pregnancy hormones played a role in making my waves more pronounced and if I follow the curly girl method I get quite a nice wave pattern.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Sometimes, cutting layers into hair lightens up the weight of the hair, and allows the curls to come through. If my hair is all one length, there's too much hair and it's too heavy to curl, but cut some layers and all my waves come through. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Alisamer said:

It's just me in the house, and I have depression, and while the meds are helping they still aren't getting me to the point of having energy to do things I hate like dishes. At one point I was trying to do all the environmentally-conscious stuff I know I SHOULD do, but instead it ended up with a sink full of dishes and a laundry hamper full of washcloths, and I made the decision that for now, what I can handle is disposable plates. I do try to use them as little as possible, but right now that's where I'm at. 

So if it was years ago when Teri was suffering from untreated depression and had a bunch of kids, I can totally see them using paper plates. Now, however? With that many people in the house, none of whom have out-of-the-home jobs, and who are all adults? Yeah, not cool. Heck, you'd think the girls would probably enjoy the opportunity to talk with just a couple of them instead of having dad over their shoulder the whole time, since I'm sure Steve probably isn't into doing dishes.

FTFY.

You do what you have to do! I've been there. For me, the criticism comes when people keep having children way past the point at which anyone would be overwhelmed, then try to cut corners or half-ass things because they can't cope. The solution to their problem is simple, and it isn't using paper plates, but they refuse to address it.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

FTFY.

Listen, never apologize to a bunch of internet strangers with how you are surviving depression.  You use paper plates? I'm in awe that you are functional enough to plate your food. When it was me, I wasn't.  Seriously. 

I went though  a serious depression 2 years ago, and I feel for anyone currently suffering and surviving.  

These are the hardest of times to be going through depression.  Good on you for finding what is helping you cope.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 13

4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

and I made the decision that for now, what I can handle is...

I love this so much. It is really a powerful statement and I think it is fantastic that you were able to make this decision. 

I’m going to use this in my life - ask myself “Right now, what can I handle?”

Thank you. Wishing you good days ahead. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 13

Went back to Titus blog ca ‘08 (Abby was brand new) and Anna’s hair was past her shoulders and showing a slight wave. She had it pulled straight back from her face - so any curl on the crown was smoothed out. 2008 - 2021, about 13 years, so roughly two 7-year cycles.

Yeah, on a personal note, my hair has gone through all kinds of phases naturally. Totally plausible that Anna’s gotten curlier. 

She’s also got it shorter, which makes the curls bouncier and she doesn’t seem to be pulling it back tightly. What I always have liked about her is her plaid shirts. None too feminine! Dress your own way, Anna-kiddo. And do your hair your way, too. 

• Upvote 8

I'm confused, because I always thought of Anna as the sister with curly hair. Her hair has always been curlier/wavier than Sarah, Teri, or Mary. I think of Sarah's hair as lighter, Mary's hair is longer and straight and Anna's is curlier. 

If you look at older pictures, like this random post, you can see how her hair is curlier than her sister's. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, Joe Pukepail said:

You just never know what will make you feel frisky until you try! ?

Tight blue jeans and nothing else on the lord of Wych Manor always works for this old broom rider.  ?
I’m still cackling at the thought of a red satin  budgie smuggler.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm confused, because I always thought of Anna as the sister with curly hair. Her hair has always been curlier/wavier than Sarah, Teri, or Mary. I think of Sarah's hair as lighter, Mary's hair is longer and straight and Anna's is curlier. 

If you look at older pictures, like this random post, you can see how her hair is curlier than her sister's. 

I'm making an assumption here - but I think she used to wear it up/pulled back pretty regularly. Now she doesn't. 

In my 53 years - more than 7 "7 year cycles"  -  my hair has not changed. I went through a time during menopause where it was falling out, but the texture & curl have never changed. The only thing that has changed over my lifetime is the color. As a baby through about five, I was a white blonde. I've been a brunette with tints of reds & blondes the rest of my life - until the grey arrived. And now I am whatever color comes out of the latest box I try - always/still some shade of brown. 

• Upvote 8

18 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Confession:  Not only do I use disposable plates(not entirely, but often), I have a dishwasher and have never used it—and I’ve lived here almost three years.  I also live alone, and it’s just quicker to wash them by hand.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Confession:  Not only do I use disposable plates(not entirely, but often), I have a dishwasher and have never used it—and I’ve lived here almost three years.  I also live alone, and it’s just quicker to wash them by hand.

I live alone also & I use both regular & disposable plates. I only run my dishwasher when it’s full. 

• Upvote 3

Whether or not I use a paper plate depends on what I'm having.  A full meal gets a regular plate.  A sandwich, pizza, toast, etc.  would probably get a paper plate.  My daughter doesn't use paper towels or paper napkins as well as paper plates.  That would drive me crazy!  If I have to clean up a spill, I do not want to have to wash a towel afterwards.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, MomJeans said:

Listen, never apologize to a bunch of internet strangers with how you are surviving depression.  You use paper plates? I'm in awe that you are functional enough to plate your food. When it was me, I wasn't.  Seriously. 

I went though  a serious depression 2 years ago, and I feel for anyone currently suffering and surviving.  

These are the hardest of times to be going through depression.  Good on you for finding what is helping you cope.

This is one of the most compassionate things I've ever read online. Thank you.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

They do make products for wavy-haired people now.  Their hair tends to need less moisture and so the products tend to be less weighty.  My middle daughter and I were pondering at one time if we had wavy hair.  We may not fit so well into the Walker typing system where you take into account the diameter of your curls, but not the spring of the curls.  Lorraine Massey, who started Deva Curl, had a typing system that took into account how much spring your curls had.  I'm a Botticelli or maybe a Cherub which has almost no spring.  The curlier/kinkier types have way more spring.  Anyway, nobody has ever called my hair wavy although I used to have a friend at UGA who said that I had hair like Botticelli's angels.  Stylists used to like to cut my hair into an Afro and it looks good like that, but I'd need to get my hair cut every week, because it tends to flatten out on the crown if it gets any length to it.  My hair is rather like Pam Beasley's on The Office, but maybe curlier.  

@Jana814, unless you have  lot of stuff to wash that needs hand washing  (knives, wooden spoons, etc), you might actually use less water by using the dishwasher.  Don't pre-rinse either.  Just scrape the bits off the dishes, maybe wipe any pooled grease out and run the dishwasher.  It's wonderful to run a full dishwasher, but you might nor need to now.  

• Upvote 6

Ah, to have a dishwasher.   I wash dishes by hand twice a day for the five of us.  I hated and resented it for the longest time, but now it is almost peaceful if that makes sense.  It is a moment where nothing is asked of me cause I am elbow deep in soap and water.  You need more food?  Ask your dad.  Did you get your medicine?  Ask your dad.  You want help brushing your teeth?  Ask your dad.

We will use paper when we camp, only because I refuse to spend my time washing dishes all day.  Heating up and lugging water, ugh. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Didn't some of the Duggar girls wear the messy, curly hair look?

I always assumed Anna was kind of imitating that, but I guess not.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic