IGNORED

Maxwell 45: Steve Flaunting His Vest Deferens

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Gigi probably does not want to move into the mothership. She has autonomy no one in that house has. She has another daughter & family members who are not in Steve's cult. She's present a lot because she's right there, but I don't honestly think she shares all their beliefs. Moving into that house with them - she'd lose everything about herself to please Steve. If she can live at home, that's where she belongs. 

Rather than Steve "not inviting" her to move in or anything, I really think it's a matter of "she ain't even gonna' go there so shut up". Gigi determines her life, not her daughter's husband. 

Fuck my life if I ever end up having to get up to read the bible at 5 am at 90 years old just cause my son in law says so

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

Gigi probably does not want to move into the mothership. She has autonomy no one in that house has. She has another daughter & family members who are not in Steve's cult. She's present a lot because she's right there, but I don't honestly think she shares all their beliefs.

I tend to agree with this. Didn't someone, years ago, find pics of Gigi on a cruise with Aunt Tami, wearing pants? I'm guessing she plays along so as not to rock the boat with the fathership (and so Steve won't shut her out of the lives of her daughter and grandchildren) but doesn't hold to all the convictions.

Rather than Steve "not inviting" her to move in or anything, I really think it's a matter of "she ain't even gonna' go there so shut up". Gigi determines her life, not her daughter's husband. 

Oh, I hope so!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

A few months back there was a picture at Gigi's house and she had a tv. I also do recall her going on a cruise with Tami's family. So I agree that she probably doesn't want to move into the mothership. However, while I don't think she wants to live with them, I think that Gigi genuinely enjoys living near them. I think that they are very good to her and she has plenty of people to share walks, meals, and other events with. 

So I think that while she enjoys her autonomy by having her own house and church- she still likes being a part of the larger "non-immediate" family. 

• Upvote 19

20 hours ago, Bethy said:

Alexander Scourby's recording of the entire KJV Bible is still regarded as the foremost recording of the Bible, although others have been done since then. (He also read many other books, as well as the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, for the blind.) I grew up hearing him on the fundie radio station of my youth and was surprised as an adult when I learned that he was a Hollywood actor with no real religious convictions. Between that and doing a non-KJV version I'm pretty sure he's lost all credibility with Steve.

I remember TV commercials for the Bible on cassette tape, which I believe was Scourby’s recording.

ETA:  Couldn’t find it on YouTube, but I did find this ad for Psalms and Proverbs on cassette tape, also using Scourby’s recording:

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 1

New post up— Christmas Day y’all. They had a friend from church over for cookie baking, a walk, and games. That makes me happy for “the girls” and that friend looks like a friendly woman. 

• Upvote 7

Actually I struggle to imagine what Sarah or Gigi might want or not regarding their living arrangements. Their blog posts are always so generic - I'm not able to read any personal preferences into them. 

Maybe Sarah likes a bit more solitude and quietness than her sisters but whether or not she wants a husband, children, living with Gigi, living alone...? I really have no idea. At least I hope she is single by choice and enjoys her live. 

Edit - I forgot: new post about Christmas Day. They had a friend over and Gigi. They really don't seem to be worried about Covid, even though Steve's heart condition, Gigi's age and Anna Maria's cancer.

Edited by Austrian Atheist
  • Upvote 8

After today's post I'm convinced this family makes getting underwear for Christmas exciting. And, I mean tidy-whities or spanky pants!

• Upvote 5

Original Anna has been looking rather unkempt for several months now, increasingly so of late. If she were someone I knew and cared about I would be very concerned about her.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

There's a new post about Nathan and Melanie's wedding anniversary. (It's been 19 years – wow!)

Sarah did not manage to list even a single non-reproduction related fact about their marriage. Very sad!

(But Melanie looks happy and youthful in the photo.)

• Upvote 16
  • WTF 2

28 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

There's a new post about Nathan and Melanie's wedding anniversary. (It's been 19 years – wow!)

Sarah did not manage to list even a single non-reproduction related fact about their marriage. Very sad!

(But Melanie looks happy and youthful in the photo.)

"They’ve been through so much together: 4+ years of infertility, losing their first daughter at 3 days old, the roller coaster of high-risk pregnancies and births, and miscarriages."

Geez, you are right. What a "fun" laudation...

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

On 1/12/2021 at 4:10 AM, GreenBeans said:

Thanks to everyone who explained about Corelle! We don’t really have it here, so I didn’t know. (Almost) Unbreakable glass, that’s really smart!

I don’t think having lots of children is an excuse for only using paper plates. Firstly, it means there are more hands to make it work (dish washing duty would be a major chore, but then it would only be each person’s turn once per week or so). Secondly, there are dish washers, and everyone can simply put their own plate in after a meal. And finally, if you can’t manage to properly provide for your children, don’t have so many.

Yes, paper plates may seem like (and probably are) a small issue compared to educational neglect, brainwashing, “instant obedience” and child beatings, lack of food and children being forced to raise their siblings. But still, it’s a pet peeve of mine and (at least to me) feels like it’s something that embodies and is symptomatic of so many things wrong with that lifestyle. Laziness, lack of time and dedication to raising and properly feeding children, lack of (eating) culture.., it’s such a sad environment for children to grow up in.

Super late to the party but single use dishes are a huge red button topic for me (see my username) so I want to add the following:

I don't think we have Corelle in Germany but (at least where I'm from) "non-breakable" dishes made from hardened glass were hugely popular in the 90s. I don't think I know a single family who didn't own at least a couple of pieces from this one particular set:

Spoiler

61uA1pp408L._AC_SL1011_.thumb.jpg.68f61ed96e2ddff28b6e3cd08a32020b.jpg

I only ever broke one plate and they were dropped a lot in my family. Very thin and durable (and cheap!) but scratch easily.

Same for these dishes that were ubiquitous in my circle:

Spoiler

814O23LcRPL._AC_SL1486_.thumb.jpg.52f5a5f49680625e4b86bafc39eb615d.jpg

My parents still use those bowl everyday. 30 years later and going strong. Ugly as heck though.

I totally agree with @GreenBeansThe argument that large families *have* to use disposable dishes because they simple cannot deal with the dishes makes my head explode. (I see this often when leghumpers are defending the Duggars on Instagram.) If you have so many children that you are unable to provide everyone with a regular plate you have too many children!!!! It's not like these people don't own dishwashers. The few seconds you save by tossing a plate in the garbage instead of loading and unloading the dishwasher do not make up for the environmental harm that is caused by using them in any way!

It's not quite up there with taking cruises on the regular or driving huge cars with any real need for them but these kind of small lazy and selfish choices do have an impact on this world we all need to share. I don't understand why people with mega-families seem to have no grasp on the fact that they need to leave some of our limited resources for their gazillion children's children.

Outside of a few exception I see no reason for not using regular dishes. The Duggars regularly host large gathering, they have a huge house with plenty of storage and the own an industrial dishwasher. They still serve their culinary atrocities on paper or plastic plates. WHY?!?
Same for the Maxwells. It's not like they couldn't fit a stack of plates/bowls/whatever SOMEWHERE in their mansion.

They simple do not care!

Edited by Paperplate
typo
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Original Anna has been looking rather unkempt for several months now, increasingly so of late. If she were someone I knew and cared about I would be very concerned about her.

The sister Anna with the fur hood here?

Spoiler

image.png.63ceebee304b4bf827a030127c21394c.png

I don't exactly know why but to me she seems to be the one with a sparkle in her eye and I wondered if she is in a courtship! 

Edited by ClareDeLune
  • Upvote 4

No mention this year of whether they made the police drive over to pick up their cookies of smugness (as detailed last year) or whether the Maxwells realized what a jerk move that was and humbled themselves to bestow said self-righteous cookies on the poor police by actually driving them over to the station on their own.
I need to know ppl.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Austrian Atheist said:

Geez, you are right. What a "fun" laudation...

I'd hate to see how she "cheers" the sick

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Paperplate said:

Outside of a few exception I see no reason for not using regular dishes. The Duggars regularly host large gathering, they have a huge house with plenty of storage and the own an industrial dishwasher. They still serve their culinary atrocities on paper or plastic plates. WHY?!?
Same for the Maxwells. It's not like they couldn't fit a stack of plates/bowls/whatever SOMEWHERE in their mansion.

They simple do not care!

Growing up we had an annual gathering at my grandparents' with all aunts/uncles/cousins/cousins' kids. Probably similar in numbers to the MaxChristmas but the age numbers skewed higher as most of my extended family only had 2-3 kids so the ratio of adults to kids was quite a bit higher than in the fathership. Anyway, this gathering was always buffet-style and we used paper plates because otherwise a couple of people would've literally spent the entire event washing dishes to keep ahead of it, and as this was our only time to be together all year, we didn't want that for anyone. Also, my grandparents' kitchen was very cramped and it was hard for more than one person to be working in there at one time. (Big house/awkward kitchen design.) And their dishwasher was the kind that had to be wheeled out of storage and hooked to the sink, not one that was installed under the counter and ready to go at all times. So yes, paper plates made sense for that one time a year.

Contrasting this to the Maxwells, who have such gatherings weekly. It's the same people. They see each other all the time so there's no novelty to it, where it would be a tragedy for a couple of people to have to take care of the dishes and thus miss out on time together. They have an enormous, spacious kitchen with room for many people to work at one time and I'm pretty sure there's a dishwasher. So no, I don't see a reason to serve their routine mega-gatherings on paper/plastic. We've discussed Corelle. Heck, they could even use melamine for the kids so breakage isn't a concern at all. None of this takes up copious amounts of space.

• Upvote 15

4 hours ago, Paperplate said:

Same for these dishes that were ubiquitous in my circle:

Hide contents

814O23LcRPL._AC_SL1486_.thumb.jpg.52f5a5f49680625e4b86bafc39eb615d.jpg

My parents still use those bowl everyday. 30 years later and going strong. Ugly as heck though.

@Paperplate my parents have the same dishes! We are in Canada. My mom uses them all the time. I can't say they are to my taste. But my mom loves leaves and such so she likes them. I am very close with my mom so seeing those today made me feel a little happy. Thanks!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

@Paperplate,  I think both of those sets of dishes are lovely.

I've got a set of luncheon plates that are Pyrex or Corningware.  They were my mom's and I can remember them from my earliest childhood.  

• Upvote 8

I have multiple friends who post their meals on disposable plates. None have more than two children and several have one. It drives me nuts. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

16 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I think she likes her hair to look a wild. It also seems to be naturally curly and hard-to-tame. When you first said something, I was concerned she was depressed. Now I've looked I don't see what you're talking about. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I love pretty dishes.  I'm a very spoiled daughter...my mom bought me blue willow dishes.  My family of 8 uses them for every day.  I have extra pretty china for special occasions.  ;)  Yes, things get dropped, cracked, and broken, but even my two older boys admit they are pretty.  :)  Yes, plastic or corelle would be more practical, but it makes meal prep a bit more worthwhile.  :D 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

I have multiple friends who post their meals on disposable plates. None have more than two children and several have one. It drives me nuts. 

Besides real dishes and glassware not being as likely to break* as people think they are, I think that does children a disservice when they grow up. They have no idea what to do with a cloth napkin, for instance. It's customary in some fields to take a potential hiree out to lunch at a nice restaurant. I've heard of people not being hired because they failed the lunch portion of the interview.

*and heavy-bottomed glassware far less likely to tip over than the plastic tumblers that are narrower on the bottom.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Besides real dishes and glassware not being as likely to break* as people think they are, I think that does children a disservice when they grow up. They have no idea what to do with a cloth napkin, for instance. It's customary in some fields to take a potential hiree out to lunch at a nice restaurant. I've heard of people not being hired because they failed the lunch portion of the interview.

*and heavy-bottomed glassware far less likely that the plastic tumblers that are narrower on the bottom to tip over

@Black Aliss, one of them is a solo mom with a teenager. She hashtags her food and photographs it extensively. She cooks, a lot, and quite well. If you’re taking the time to pickle veggies and go all out, why would those two plates be such a burden? Legit. Don’t. Understand. Who wants to haul that much garbage. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, erunerune said:

No mention this year of whether they made the police drive over to pick up their cookies of smugness (as detailed last year) or whether the Maxwells realized what a jerk move that was and humbled themselves to bestow said self-righteous cookies on the poor police by actually driving them over to the station on their own.
I need to know ppl.

This year, a local police station said that they would not be accepting food delivered by restaurants (they stopped accepting homemade treats from locals long before) because they feared communal food (i.e., a tray of bagels, sandwiches, cookies, etc.) might spread Covid.

I  imagine many police stations have stopped accepting homemade food goods from households. 

• Upvote 15

On 1/25/2021 at 5:12 PM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

After today's post I'm convinced this family makes getting underwear for Christmas exciting. And, I mean tidy-whities or spanky pants!

A couple of years ago, my mom and her boyfriend were at his mom's house for Christmas. She's in her 80s and is your stereotypical Church Lady type. She handed him a present, and he unwrapped it to reveal a pair of red satin bikini-cut underpants. Apparently not noticing the look of horror on his face, his mom was like, "I hope you like them! They were your dad's. He always put them on when he felt frisky!"

Can't make this shit up.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 20
  • Love 3

29 minutes ago, Joe Pukepail said:

A couple of years ago, my mom and her boyfriend were at his mom's house for Christmas. She's in her 80s and is your stereotypical Church Lady type. She handed him a present, and he unwrapped it to reveal a pair of red satin bikini-cut underpants. Apparently not noticing the look of horror on his face, his mom was like, "I hope you like them! They were your dad's. He always put them on when he felt frisky!"

Can't make this shit up.

Oh Lordy, if Grampwych ever strutted about in a red satin “ball buster”, I’d be rolling on the floor, laughing hysterically. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic