IGNORED

Maxwell 45: Steve Flaunting His Vest Deferens

Coconut Flan

47 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Hobby Lobby, Chickfielt, both are friends of Gothard.

I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the information. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Which is why I never go to either place.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, fundiefan said:

No. The (four!) leaves are stored in a closet & have to be "fetched" when they use them. It does have magic legs that drop down/store in the table to support the weight when the leaves are used though. 

Psh. In my family the extra leaves are stored under the living room sofa.

(Because my parents are living in my grandparents' house, which has separate family room and formal living room spaces, and because we only have boatloads of people over for major holidays and not at all during a pandemic.)

Hobby Lobby does indeed play Christian music of various sorts, and on a related note their selection of Halloween merchandise is very, very sad. I try to avoid both Hobby Lobby and Chik-Fil-A (I can never remember how that's supposed to be written) whenever possible. Hobby Lobby is about to discontinue their 40% off coupons, too. I might hold my nose and go there to pick up some Arches paper with a coupon since it's hard to find that on sale and our local teeny Michaels seems to have completely eliminated all it's watercolor paper, but it'd be an in-and-out shopping operation. I'd only usually go there if I need something that I literally can't find anywhere else, which is very rare. 

Maybe once a year or so I'll either get a big craving or be with someone who insists on going to Chik-Fil-A, but otherwise I prefer my chicken without a side of bigotry.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Psh. In my family the extra leaves are stored under the living room sofa.

When we got our dining room table (similar in structure to the Maxes' table, and also Amish built, though nowhere near as large) we were advised to wrap the extra leaves in a blanket and store them under the bed. Standing up in a closet, they can warp, and then they're unusable.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

What lots of people forget is the Hobby Lobby had no problem with covering contraception before the Affordable Care Act mandated it.  They just hated it because Obamacare had a birth control mandate.  

“And they’ll kno-ow 

We are Christians 

By our love”

They’re not my Christians. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

21 hours ago, SPHASH said:

IMG_2767-1-768x576.jpg

I'm trying to figure out when this picture was taken. Obviously a colder time of year given the vests. Can't tell which of John and Chelsy's boys that is in the high chair. Same with Joe and Elissa and the high chair on their corner. (But Deborah, who has to be the one on Teri's corner with a pink and green sippy cup, is clearly high-chair age and nobody appears pregnant, so this picture is either current or over a year old.) And can somebody please assure me that Tina (who is, by now, like EIGHT) is not wearing one of those abominable scoop bibs in this picture?

• Upvote 7

It looks like the picture was at least taken after 3nna and Jesse were married last spring or summer.  Or was she allowed to visit and sit that close to him prior to marriage?

I wonder if Teri wanted a table that could sit two people at either end so  married couples could be seated right next to each other there?   God forbid the marrieds aren't seated together and all over each other in every picture.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

18 minutes ago, kpmom said:

It looks like the picture was at least taken after 3nna and Jesse were married last spring or summer.  Or was she allowed to visit and sit that close to him prior to marriage?

Good observation. It must be a current picture then. Though I don't think Jesse had a touch-free courtship like Christopher and Joseph did. Pretty sure we saw pictures (possibly on the now-private IG accounts of some of the Craigs) showing them with their arms around each other at the rehearsal. But if she'd visited before the wedding surely there would've been other siblings/parents in tow and they're not there, so...my money is on, it's current.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Bethy said:

When we got our dining room table (similar in structure to the Maxes' table, and also Amish built, though nowhere near as large) we were advised to wrap the extra leaves in a blanket and store them under the bed. Standing up in a closet, they can warp, and then they're unusable.

That's exactly what I was told. My leaves are pretty solid, and there is a lip on each, and I was warned in no uncertain terms to store them flat, and not on top of each other. They are under the bed in my guest room, wrapped in felt. Felt supplied by the furniture store for that very purpose.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

16 hours ago, ElizaB said:

I wonder how much that table costs. It is huge and from an Amish furniture store. I'm guessing it was quite expensive. The Maxwell's obsessive personalities really apply to their purchases too. It seems that they do a lot of research and definitely take the quality not quantity approach to their purchases. I typically trust their product recommendations because they really research everything they buy. 

There are many negatives about the Maxwell, but they do tend to invest in quality items (clothing, housewares, electrics, furniture, etc).  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

11 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I just wish Chik-fil-A wasn't so damn delicious. I don't have one near me so it isn't a daily struggle; however, when I see one when I am traveling it is hard to resist. Their lemonade and chicken with chick-fil-A sauce is so delicious. Its a shame I have to let go of some of my morals to enjoy it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

There are many negatives about the Maxwell, but they do tend to invest in quality items (clothing, housewares, electrics, furniture, etc).  

If only they would invest in their children's education...

Also-

Someone mentioned way back in the thread about one of the little boys wearing a Cousin Crew for Life shirt. It's from Carter's kids clothing store. It comes in pink, blue, and there's a "new to the crew" baby onesie. I did not actually buy these for my kid or niece but I definitely considered it a few months ago ????

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, ElizaB said:

I just wish Chik-fil-A wasn't so damn delicious. I don't have one near me so it isn't a daily struggle; however, when I see one when I am traveling it is hard to resist. Their lemonade and chicken with chick-fil-A sauce is so delicious. Its a shame I have to let go of some of my morals to enjoy it. 

LOL, same here. I was in SC last year at this time, I had never had Chick-Fil-A before. Those chicken and biscuits, so good. There are none in my state and after having it 5 or 6 times in a month for that one month only I have not had it since.

• Upvote 5

I actually enjoyed the dining room table post. 

I agree that it can be hard to sit at the head or foot if the legs are in the way.  I also think it's interesting they wanted to be able to sit more than one person at the head or foot. I would have assumed Steve would sit at the head of the table alone. 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, petrushka said:

Which is why I never go to either place.

My area is thankfully Hobby Lobby- and Chick-Fil-A free(although I think there’s a CFA in Syracuse now).

• Upvote 6

Both Chick-Fil-A (which I will pronounce as "chick-fill-uh" til the end of time) and Hobby Lobby have infiltrated Long Island. I refuse to patronize either. Michaels, DickBlick.com and a myriad of craft-specific online resources serve all my artsy/craftsy needs and there are so many Chick-Fil-A copycat recipes available online that if I ever had the urge to try to replicate that the experience (I don't), I'm good.

The Maxes a perfect example of what it is to be frugal, which is not the same as cheap. They don't buy much but they buy for quality and longevity and even if it means paying a lot more at the outset, it saves money in the long run. A lesson I finally learned when I stopped buying cheap-o cookware that hardly lasted a year and invested in All-Clad, which after 10+ years, barely has a scratch.

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 16

On 2/8/2021 at 11:10 AM, fundiefan said:

Whatever. Can't really snark but can wonder what drives their thinking on what to post & when? 

Someone did ask in the comments for information about their dining table. That was quite a while ago. I think the post just had to work its way up through the scheduling queue.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, sparkles said:

Both Chick-Fil-A (which I will pronounce as "chick-fill-uh" til the end of time) and Hobby Lobby have infiltrated Long Island. I refuse to patronize either. Michaels, DickBlick.com and a myriad of craft-specific online resources serve all my artsy/craftsy needs and there are so many Chick-Fil-A copycat recipes available online that if I ever had the urge to try to replicate that the experience (I don't), I'm good.

Just quoting to add a shout-out to Jerry's Artarama and Cheap Joe's Art Supplies for anyone looking for art-specific stuff (though not as much craft things as Blick or Michaels). They have online (and fewer, but some, brick & mortar) shops and are based in NC. I've had especially good experiences with Jerry's. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

Teri, dear, why are you still wearing an apron when you are all sitting down to eat?  Ok, I've done it myself, but it bugs me when I do.

@sparkles,  I agree with you about buying the best kitchen equipment you can afford.  There have been some discussions in the past week about pots and pans on mty Milk Street Facebook group. .  One was about Dutch ovens and the other was asking who else had Revere ware pots and pans.  I'd love to have a Le Creuset Dutch oven, but my current one is a Chrissy Teigan from Target and it works fine (if I treat myself to a Le Creuset, it will be from the LC outlet in Asheville) and I still have my 40 year old Revere Ware and use it.  Can't decide whether to get a Vitamix as it's currently on sale at Target.  

• Upvote 8

New blog post! They didn't tell us but Sarah got concussion working out at their house last June. She accidently hit her head on metal pole. 

She had been dealing with aftereffects. 

They're telling us now, because Sarah hit her head again. This time on cabinet, but it's bad enough she's been taking it slow. 

The post is about dealing with setbacks from the Lord. Sarah honey, this isn't the Lord (or the devil) it's just an accident. Of course God is going to help you when you recovering from an accident. 

Are the "Footprints" too new-agey Christianity for Steve and Teri?

Talking about God is Sarah's way of dealing with things. Reminds me of when Ellie couldn't have puppies. 

Sending thoughts and prayers to Sarah for a speedy recovery!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Aaaw, poor Sarah. Perhaps getting a hardhat would be a good idea, and seeing a doctor. Concussions are nothing to fool around with!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Divemaster01 said:

Aaaw, poor Sarah. Perhaps getting a hardhat would be a good idea, and seeing a doctor. Concussions are nothing to fool around with!

Esp not second concussions. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic