IGNORED

Upcoming Babies 19: We Keep Track So They Don't Have To

Bethella

I normally ignore Kristen but I went to check out her IG after all this chatter.  Wow.  The song/videos are... something else.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Themanda Duggar said:

Because Kristen is nothing if not overconfident.

I’m not even sure if she’s overconfident. I think she’s super insecure which is why she is constantly making videos where she claims to have “the truth that the heathen liberals are trying to hide.” She’s got to prove to everyone that she’s truly happy and her life and marriage are perfect by announcing as soon as possible that she’s creating more soldiers for Jesus. 

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
  • Upvote 14

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I truly have zero issues with nicknames. My children go by nicknames. My family is full of nicknames. I guess I’m just not a huge fan of nicknames as given names. 

Like Allie, Lexi and Maci? ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Like Allie, Lexi and Maci? ?

Yes! I would much prefer Alice and Alexandra and then nickname them Allie and Lexi. Macy spelled like this isn’t too nickname-y to me. I can deal.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

My family is the same way, @JermajestyDuggar. We definitely believe in having a formal name for various circumstances, and a nickname for friends and family. 

Names are important, and they absolutely affect how the world preceives and interacts with us. I think when you name a child, particularly a girl, a nickname, you're taking away options from them and potentially having others think of them less seriously. 

Certainly many successful people go by their nicknames in a professional capacity, but on the whole, the research shows there are detriments to it, especially for girls/women. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes! I would much prefer Alice and Alexandra and then nickname them Allie and Lexi. Macy spelled like this isn’t too nickname-y to me. I can deal.

Maci should've been Maisie, it's a pretty name.

• Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Maci should've been Maisie, it's a pretty name.

I think some people might pronounce that spelling like May-Zee. I’ve seen people pronounce that spelling both ways. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve always pronounced Maisie as May-Zee and Macey as Mace E. Neither one would be my first choice but not my kid. Even if the names are a bit cutsey, they are mainstream. The kids won’t be bullied due to their names if they ever leave fundie land.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

I’ve always pronounced Maisie as May-Zee and Macey as Mace E. Neither one would be my first choice but not my kid. Even if the names are a bit cutsey, they are mainstream. The kids won’t be bullied due to their names if they ever leave fundie land.

*cough* Spurgeon 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, anjulibai said:

What's Kristen Young's deal?

Kristen loves showing up us libs by making these usually nonsensical videos where she tries to seem really hip while boasting about what a perfect Christian with her perfect family. Just ignore the part where her husband cheated on her and is struggling with an alcohol addiction. 

She's also never met a conspiracy theory she didn't like. Honestly, she's so off the deep end I'm surprised she hasn't been elected to the house of representatives yet.

• Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 16
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Honestly, she's so off the deep end I'm surprised she hasn't been elected to the house of representatives yet.

She probably reads here.  Please don’t give her any ideas.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I truly have zero issues with nicknames. My children go by nicknames. My family is full of nicknames. I guess I’m just not a huge fan of nicknames as given names. 

I totally agree with you. I love nicknames and have nicknames for all the people I'm close to (as long as they don't mind!) and since we are now in the process of finding a name for our baby boy I'm always like: "That's a nice name, but I don't like the nickname options that go with it." I'm weird. I know.

• Upvote 3

Some name diminutives have become normalised/mainstream. Eg Molly was apparently a diminutive/pet form of Mary, and Megan was a pet form of Meg/Meggie which were in turn pet forms of Margaret. 
I’m not too bothered, but I can definitely see the advantages of using, say, Katherine on a birth certificate. I might call that baby Katie, but she could also go with Kat/Kath/Kate/Kay/whatever as her own choice. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

I totally agree with you. I love nicknames and have nicknames for all the people I'm close to (as long as they don't mind!) and since we are now in the process of finding a name for our baby boy I'm always like: "That's a nice name, but I don't like the nickname options that go with it." I'm weird. I know.

It’s honestly why I wouldn’t go with Richard. There’s nothing wrong with the name. But I would be too afraid someone would call him Dick instead of Rick. I know no one uses Dick anymore. But I can’t get rid of the association in my head. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Some name diminutives have become normalised/mainstream. Eg Molly was apparently a diminutive/pet form of Mary, and Megan was a pet form of Meg/Meggie which were in turn pet forms of Margaret.  

Those are still nicknames to me. *shrug*

• I Agree 1

Somehow I missed that Kristen's husband cheated on her.  I had heard about the alcohol dependency but missed that.  Wow, that must make for some serious "testimony". 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, Themanda Duggar said:

She probably reads here.  Please don’t give her any ideas.

She called out Reddit yesterday and they barely talk about her. I guess we aren’t important enough for a call out. 

• Haha 14

9 hours ago, ophelia said:

Same here. I love the name Cassandra, but detest both Cassie and Sandy (apologies to all the Cassies and Sandys out there; I'm sure you're lovely people), so I'd never pick it.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s honestly why I wouldn’t go with Richard. There’s nothing wrong with the name. But I would be too afraid someone would call him Dick instead of Rick. I know no one uses Dick anymore. But I can’t get rid of the association in my head. 

That's my father's name and never was there a more fitting name for a person. He was nothing but a walking dick.

It may have been prophetic, but I have never once in my life met a Richard worth my time. Every single one I've known, whether he goes by Rick or Rich or Richard, has lived up to my first experience with the name. Very awful men. Two of whom - aside from my sperm donor so three, really - contributed to serious issues in my life. 

I was given a boy's nickname as my first name at birth. Not my mother's finest decision in life and something I would dissuade anyone I know from doing to their own child. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 14

On 4/26/2021 at 3:17 PM, G33kywife said:

I have no problem with people announcing early if that’s what they’re comfortable with. For many people, a miscarriage isn’t less emotionally painful just because you didn’t tell anyone the pregnancy happened. Just my $0.02. 

I've also heard from several women that they felt like it was more painful to have not told people, because they felt like they had to hide that they were grieving, and nobody knew.  They found it isolating more than anything.  

I'm not going to snark on when someone chooses to announce a pregnancy.  It's a legit choice that many people make for legitimate reasons.  ?‍♀️

Edited by Sarcastically spinster
(Edit for connection glitch/double post)
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

re: when to tell people about a pregnancy

I've seen a change in the last few decades. Miscarriage is no longer a "forbidden" (not sure if this is the right word but there was more silence about miscarriage in the past) topic and  now there is a lot  of support which can come from a variety of sources eg on line groups, social media etc. So the question is less "when should I tell people" and more so  "am I the sort of person who wants public support or the sort who prefers to deal with things more privately". If someone is the sort of person who would benefit from a more public level of support then it is probably better for them to tell people right away. 

Edited by browngrl
as you know I do my best editing after I press "save"
  • Upvote 13

5 hours ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

I'm not going to snark on when someone chooses to announce a pregnancy.  It's a legit choice that many people make for legitimate reasons.  ?‍♀️

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

I've seen a change in the last few decades. Miscarriage is no longer a "forbidden" (not sure if this is the right word but there was more silence about miscarriage in the past) topic and  now there is a lot  of support which can come from a variety of sources eg on line groups, social media etc.

Anecdata here but I know of a few older women, mothers of multiple living children, who were still grieving miscarriages decades later -- it's a grief that never goes away.

A miscarriage is a loss and people should be able to handle it however they want. An increasing number of people from all backgrounds want the full range of support for their pregnancies, whether it's others' joy upon hearing the news or others' love & care in the event of a miscarriage or other pregnancy loss. 

• Upvote 12
  • Rufus Bless 1

I've actually known quite a few women who are over their miscarriages. It varies person to person. 

• Upvote 6

I think Kristen Nicole Young is pregnant. She posted a story with her MIL and then an arrow at her stomach saying grand baby #4.

• Upvote 1

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic