IGNORED

Upcoming Babies 19: We Keep Track So They Don't Have To

Bethella

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

If I were to have a boy today(since I’m screaming towards 70 it’s not going to happen), I’d name him John. We had considered Jonathan for our 30 YO son, but went with what is now a very popular name that ends in “el”-

Funny thing is, your John would likely be the only John in his class these days. There are tons of older Johns and tons of fundie Johns. But I come across very few baby Johns these days. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Funny thing is, your John would likely be the only John in his class these days. There are tons of older Johns and tons of fundie Johns. But I come across very few baby Johns these days. 

This is how I feel about David - I know a thousand of them, but they're all 30 or older. When I was pregnant with my first, MIL said something like "promise me you won't call him something boring like Tom or John or worst of all DAVID, yuck". When he was born we called her and said "it's a boy! his name's David" and she screamed back "it is NOT! What did you really call him?"

• Haha 24

Same with Mike. Other than fundies and people 45+, I don't know of any little Michael/Micheals. I really like the name, and it's not that there's a shortage of them, but in about 25 years, I think it will be pretty uncommon. (Outside of predominantly Catholic areas, at least.)

• Upvote 4

Jonathan is such a beautiful name, but there have been at least 5 babies in my social circle that are named Jonathan or Jonah.

• Upvote 3

Neither Michael nor John is all that uncommon. I'm in my early thirties and it was an extremely popular name.  I know at least a dozen Michaels under 45. Michael is falling in popularity, but it's still #14 in 2019. John is a little less popular, but in 2019 it was #28.  David was #27. 

To really know what's popular, you need a large sample size. Old people will complain about there are no Henrys, because they know like three little kids and none of them are named Henry.  (Henry was #12 in 2019 and it's becoming more popular.)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

Jonathan is such a beautiful name, but there have been at least 5 babies in my social circle that are named Jonathan or Jonah.

I definitely come across baby Jonathans but no Johns. The youngest John I know is 9 and he was named after his dad. So he doesn’t even go by John. 

• Upvote 1

Just popping by to say I have a step nephew in his 20s named Michael.  I know NO other Michaels or Johns who are teens or younger.  Not a one.  I know one little David and one Jonathan. 

I named my son a super popular name from the 80s and so whenever I yell it in public I see half a dozen men my age looking around to see if their wife is calling them.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

I also want to say that when it comes to popularity, you have to take the decade into consideration as well. Back in the early 1900s when Mary was the #1 baby name, that meant a much larger percentage of babies were named Mary than the #1 spot today. Let’s just say back then it meant 10% of all babies were named Mary that year. Nowadays a #1 spot is nowhere near that high of a percentage. Especially in the last 20 or so years. People actively avoid very popular names and it means that the most popular names aren’t as popular as you think. Especially with girl names. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

30 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I also want to say that when it comes to popularity, you have to take the decade into consideration as well. Back in the early 1900s when Mary was the #1 baby name, that meant a much larger percentage of babies were named Mary than the #1 spot today. Let’s just say back then it meant 10% of all babies were named Mary that year. Nowadays a #1 spot is nowhere near that high of a percentage. Especially in the last 20 or so years. People actively avoid very popular names and it means that the most popular names aren’t as popular as you think. Especially with girl names. 

Yes. My Emma is the only one in her entire grade at her school (about 100 kids.) I was worried there would be many.

There are 3 Olivia’s though. ?

• Upvote 5

When I was in elementary school their were 2 Michael’s in my class. When we moved in a Junior high/high school that had students from 4 towns that increased to 5. My sister who is 2 years younger then me had 10 Michael’s in her class. Our first cousin is named Michael their were 2 others in his elementary school grade. They were known as Michael B,G & L their entire lives. 

• Upvote 1

I was born in 82. The most popular names for boys in my classes were Michael, Matthew, Christopher, Ryan, and James.

• Upvote 8

11 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

(Outside of predominantly Catholic areas, at least.)

Ah, that's it -- I may just know too many Catholics! Because I know an absolute shitload of guys in their 20s and 30s named John and Michael.

• Upvote 6

I know one four-year-old named Michael who was named after his dad. I also know of a baby born last year who was named Michael.

There were two Johns/Jonathans in my class in elementary school but nowadays I only know of one person below my own age with that name. But I know several guys my age and older named some variation of John.

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2021 at 5:25 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Neither Michael nor John is all that uncommon. I'm in my early thirties and it was an extremely popular name.  I know at least a dozen Michaels under 45. Michael is falling in popularity, but it's still #14 in 2019. John is a little less popular, but in 2019 it was #28.  David was #27. 

To really know what's popular, you need a large sample size. Old people will complain about there are no Henrys, because they know like three little kids and none of them are named Henry.  (Henry was #12 in 2019 and it's becoming more popular.)

I'm in Australia, and just had a look at our 2019 stats because that didn't sound right to me - Michael was #53 here, John was #97, and David isn't on the top 100 list (but was #100 in 2015 so is probably fluctuating right around that point). More popular names than John or David include Jaxon, Arlo, Ezra, Bodhi and Elias, which are all names that I'd hear and think "child under 10" in the same way that I think "man over 30" when I hear David. 

I also find it interesting how much these things can fluctuate by location. 2 years ago when we moved to the area we live in now, I looked at the class lists for my son's school and found a Kobe/Koby in every class, but it was #100 the year he was born. Among the girls, there were 3 Zahlias (not on the list) and 0 Chloes (#1). But in the area we used to live, all the double-up names were from the top 20.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

Per the Mueller blog, Julie Mueller Knox gave birth to Tyler Garrett Knox on March 20th. 

I haven’t heard of a newborn Tyler in at least a decade. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah, the most recent Tylers on the list are Tyler Hutchins (Michelle Duggar’s great- nephew) born February 2008 and Tyler Shupe born January/February 2009. 

• Thank You 3

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was going to chime in with the glorious news that one of my little cousins was named Tyler... only to realize that he's 12 now, and time is slipping by. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 2

On 3/31/2021 at 7:55 AM, ophelia said:

I am happy it is not very popular here in the Netherlands because it is high on my list (and I just found out I am pregnant ?)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 37

On 3/31/2021 at 1:55 AM, ophelia said:

My 3 year old son is named Jonathan:) 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I am happy it is not very popular here in the Netherlands because it is high on my list (and I just found out I am pregnant ?)

Congratulations! I feel like there are a lot of pregnant people on FJ right now, but maybe I'm just more sensitive to the topic now that I'm pregnant.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

Wow, while the Mueller kids were mostly girls (7:3) the grandkids certainly favour the boys!

That's ok by me; the fewer daughters in fundieland, the better. Only Adam and Valerie have more girls than boys.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

Congratulations! I feel like there are a lot of pregnant people on FJ right now, but maybe I'm just more sensitive to the topic now that I'm pregnant.

We are everywhere! Clearly there's nothing else to do during lockdown than get knocked up! ?

Edited by PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea
That/than typo
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic