IGNORED

Upcoming Babies 19: We Keep Track So They Don't Have To

Bethella

5 minutes ago, Jatalie1996 said:

Whitney Bates is having a boy, Jayden Carl.

how did she manage to mash together a name that's way too trendy and one that's way too outdated at the same time. as the bates would say, i'm in awe of the lord's (whitney's) mysteries

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

Just now, fundieundies said:

how did she manage to mash together a name that's way too trendy and one that's way too outdated at the same time. as the bates would say, i'm in awe of the lord's (whitney's) mysteries

Right??? I love Carl (it's the name of my husband's granddad and oldest brother), but Jayden is sooooooooo overused the past several years. After working in children's ministry for almost a decade before my 6yo son was born, I never want to hear Jayden again. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

Right??? I love Carl (it's the name of my husband's granddad and oldest brother), but Jayden is sooooooooo overused the past several years. After working in children's ministry for almost a decade before my 6yo son was born, I never want to hear Jayden again. 

Exactly! Carl is great on its own - what is appealing about Jayden since it's been overused and made fun of in the last 10ish years?

Also it I think it was Carlin in the Instagram comments who said "can't wait till little JC gets here" - is that blasphemy I smell??? Is Jayden the new Jesus??

• Upvote 6

I don’t like Whitney’s naming style. It’s kind of all over the place. 

Actually her naming style is pretty much this:

Trendy first name, old fashioned middle name.

Bradley Gilvin

Kaci Lynn

Khloe Eileen

Jayden Carl

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

My friend is a teacher and 11 years ago she decided on the name Brayden for her baby. She said she’d never had a kid in her classes with that name so it wasn’t ruined like so many other names. Little did she know, it had just exploded in popularity with a bunch of other “ayden” names at that time. Now she has a bunch of Braydens in her class! Poor teachers have so many names ruined for them!

• Upvote 9

Whitney's kids have my least favorite names out of all the Bates grandchildren (Tori had been in first place, but Charlotte redeemed her somewhat.)

Anyone else think they all had baby name lists that they came up with as children/teens and just stuck with them?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

1 minute ago, indianabones said:

Whitney's kids have my least favorite names out of all the Bates grandchildren (Tori had been in first place, but Charlotte redeemed her somewhat.)

Anyone else think they all had baby name lists that they came up with as children/teens and just stuck with them?

Yes!! I am guessing she made this list back in 2006 and has stuck with it! Next will be Kaitlyn Deborah and then Emma Judy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

Idky everyone is ragging on Whitney for these names. For all we know it could be Zach. Unless I missed something, it just feels slightly misogynistic to put it all on the woman (not saying anyone here is one though). 

I am surprised they went with Jayden. It seems passé at the point. I don’t think of it as trendy anymore, more of a mid aughts thing. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

Just now, artdecades said:

Idky everyone is ragging on Whitney for these names. For all we know it could be Zach. Unless I missed something, it just feels slightly misogynistic to put it all on the woman (not saying anyone here is one though). 

I am surprised they went with Jayden. It seems passé at the point. I don’t think of it as trendy anymore, more of a mid aughts thing. 

I have always assumed it’s one of the few decisions vagina havers are allowed in a fundie marriage. Kelly and Michelle seemed to have the final say in names. Although things could have been different from what was shown on tv.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

I dont think Whitney and Zachs naming style its weird at all. They use a trendy first name with a family honor middle name. Thats pretty common.

• Upvote 6

I don't think it is that unusual to name a child with a trendy first name and a more traditional second name. However, I don't like any of the first names Zach and Whitney have chosen. I hope the children like them.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

I wasn't aware people still used Jayden.

To me, and I know I don't have a ball in this game & it's 100% opinion, Jayden belongs in the same pile as Ashley, Brittney/Brittany/BritHowEverTheHellYouWannaSpellIt and Brandon.

Overused. The world is saturated with these names and we need a break. And I don't like a single one of them. 

I know this happens in cycles - a baby name book named "Beyond Jennifer & Jason" is a reminder of that. But - again, entirely personally - I've never grown to actually hate a name no matter how on trend it's been at any given time like I do the four I listed above. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

I wasn't aware people still used Jayden.

To me, and I know I don't have a ball in this game & it's 100% opinion, Jayden belongs in the same pile as Ashley, Brittney/Brittany/BritHowEverTheHellYouWannaSpellIt and Brandon.

Overused. The world is saturated with these names and we need a break. And I don't like a single one of them. 

I know this happens in cycles - a baby name book named "Beyond Jennifer & Jason" is a reminder of that. But - again, entirely personally - I've never grown to actually hate a name no matter how on trend it's been at any given time like I do the four I listed above. 

I think the problem is also the flow. I know tons of people who use a modern first name and older family member’s name for a middle name. They end up being names like Austin James and Aubrey Elizabeth. These combos flow well.

Brayden Carl just doesn’t flow at all. There are a lot of Williams in the Bates family. Brayden William would likely flow better in my opinion. Names are subjective and we all have differing opinions. Mine is that her names are so all over the place that they just don’t flow well. Except Kaci Lynn. That does flow. But I hate the spelling of Kaci. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, fundieundies said:

Exactly! Carl is great on its own - what is appealing about Jayden since it's been overused and made fun of in the last 10ish years?

Also it I think it was Carlin in the Instagram comments who said "can't wait till little JC gets here" - is that blasphemy I smell??? Is Jayden the new Jesus??

Whitney's biological father is called JC Perkins.  I don't what JC stands for, but I would guess that C is for Carl. 

• Upvote 7

I thought for sure Zach and Whitney were going with a theme where all the first names had the same sound on the end - the long E - but I guess not.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

I thought for sure Zach and Whitney were going with a theme where all the first names had the same sound on the end - the long E - but I guess not.

Just what I was thinking! The only thing that really threw me off about the name was the ending because there really did seem to be a theme at one point. Whitney, Zachary, Bradley, Kaci, Khloé...Jayden? Even him going by the nickname Jay would make it a real stretch to fit in with the rest. Then again, the theme could've been entirely coincidental and Zach and Whitney just didn't see it.

They do seem to just go with names they really like, which is kind of cool, even if it creates names that not too many care for. I actually like the name Jayden and have a major character in something I'd been writing for a while named Jayden (Writers, ever had that "This is the ONLY name that works" feeling with a character? Same case here). I do agree though that it's still horribly overused and wouldn't name a kid that should I have one in the near future.

EDIT: Don't forget, in some families, the children also have a say in naming the new baby. That's why Jim Bob never got to name a daughter Julie.

Edited by AliC
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Whitney's biological father is called JC Perkins.  I don't what JC stands for, but I would guess that C is for Carl. 

JC stands for James Carl.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, artdecades said:

I thought the same and then I realized these are fundies we talk about so anything around babies is 90% the womens responsibility.

• Upvote 2

I thought they might be going for a B theme with sons and a K theme for daughters and that's now I based my name guesses in another thread.  Jayden Carl Bates just sounds way too awkward.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, llucie said:

JC stands for James Carl.

She should’ve gone with Jayden James so she could be just like Britney Spears. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes!! I am guessing she made this list back in 2006 and has stuck with it! Next will be Kaitlyn Deborah and then Emma Judy.

*Preggo hormones* I haven't said it here but I'm pregnant... What's wrong with Emma? Lol I'm having a girl and naming her Emma :( it's a family name though.

• Love 27

13 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

*Preggo hormones* I haven't said it here but I'm pregnant... What's wrong with Emma? Lol I'm having a girl and naming her Emma :( it's a family name though.

People just feel that it's been overused. According to Wikipedia "It became popular in the United States later in the 20th century, reaching the top 100 names for girls in the late 1990s. It has been among the top five names given to girls since 2002, and was the most popular name for girls in 2008, 2014, and 2015."

• Upvote 2

I don't think anything is wrong with Emma. I think it is a classic name, if you like it, like it

I thought the combination of Emma Judy was a bit weird, but Emma itself, I do like. Unfortunately, i know a couple of Emmas I really don't like, which turned me off the name, but.. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

54 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Nothing of course. It’s popularity was highest about ten years ago (but it’s still popular now). That is Whitney’s naming style.

Disclaimer:

I have an extremely thick skin when it comes to names. Probably because I had a terrible last name growing up. Not everyone will like your kid’s name. It’s impossible. What matters is if YOU like it.

Name lesson if anyone cares: 

The rise of Emma started because of the popularity of Emily. The Name Emily was #1 for girls for over a decade. It was extremely popular from the mid 90s into the early 2000s. That is because when I name becomes too popular in a person’s mind, they prefer a similar name. That was Emma. Then in 2002, Rachel in Friends named her baby Emma. That made the name even more popular. It’s still popular today. Although it’s less popular now. You will also see names like Emerson, Emmeline, Emory, Emmy, and Ember more popular as Emma became popular. Because like I said, if one name becomes popular, people will use similar sounding names more as well.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Haven't said it here either, but I'm also pregnant and I totally feel you when it comes to pregnancy hormones... My feelings all over the place most of the time.
I think Emma is a beautiful name! I wish you a healthy pregnancy and all the best for you and baby Emma!

• Love 21

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic