IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 4: Working for Netflix

Coconut Flan

15 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

And, it finally dawned on Harry that he had someone who would help him leave.

Per Marie Claire it was Harry. It is a gossip report so take it with a grain of salt. 

"It came to the point where he wanted a different way of life," an insider explained to Vanity Fair. "Meghan was simply the catalyst."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/amp35159871/prince-harry-meghan-markle-royal-exit/

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Per Marie Claire it was Harry. It is a gossip report so take it with a grain of salt. 

"It came to the point where he wanted a different way of life," an insider explained to Vanity Fair. "Meghan was simply the catalyst."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/amp35159871/prince-harry-meghan-markle-royal-exit/

I’d believe it. Harry has spoken multiple times before Meghan of how he wished for a different life. If he had not been allowed to marry her (black divorced actress) I think he would have still peaced out. 

• Upvote 13

On 1/7/2021 at 4:22 PM, tabitha2 said:

Because Meghan has drive And is mover and shaker for better or worse and Harry  has never shown himself to have a particularly strong or charismatic character or that bright TBH.  Before her he was a young Prince who wanted to soldier and fun And occasionally made a fool of himself. With his mother issues and easy going  nature  And her personality it’s not a stretch to say makes most of the decisions and convinced him it’s what he wants as well. 

Except none of that is exactly true at all.

Harry worked to create Sentebale and Invictus on his own, well before Meghan came along. He was doing all sorts of stuff, like going to the South Poll with wounded veterans. He had a ton of drive and charisma, and was consistently one of the most popular members of the RF. 

He certainly partied in his youth, but most of us do, but obviously he was going to mature the older he got. I remember articles in from the time before he met Meghan, saying how he was calming down, and not going out as much, and was wanting to settle down. 

She entered his life at the right time he was looking for someone to spend his life with, and she had so many things going on for her that would appeal to him, like her work overseas and with the UN. She was exactly the type I had expected him to go for.

I fill add, William always partied as much as Harry, it just got kept out of the media. The William was protected, but not Harry. I imagine that has wrankled him over the years, but he put up with it until it was turned on his wife and child. 

On 1/7/2021 at 1:23 PM, Topaz said:

Or Archewell before she knew she’d have a son.

Source?

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

10 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Harry worked to create Sentebale and Invictus on his own, well before Meghan came along. He was doing all sorts of stuff, like going to the South Poll with wounded veterans. He had a ton of drive and charisma, and was consistently one of the most popular members of the RF. 

He certainly partied in his youth, but most of us do, but obviously he was going to mature the older he got. I remember articles in from the time before he met Meghan, saying how he was calming down, and not going out as much, and was wanting to settle down. 

She entered his life at the right time he was looking for someone to spend his life with, and she had so many things going on for her that would appeal to him, like her work overseas and with the UN. She was exactly the type I had expected him to go for.

I fill add, William always partied as much as Harry, it just got kept out of the media. The William was protected, but not Harry. I imagine that has wrankled him over the years, but he put up with it until it was turned on his wife and child. 

Source?

Naturally there’s no source. But it’s highly unlikely she’d have planned to name a foundation after Archie before he was even conceived - he might never have existed. There’s no way to prove it 100% but it just seems like a huge stretch to believe she had all of this planned before they were even married.

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, viii said:

They’ve said they had Archewell as a brand before they had a child - it’s where they drew their inspiration from. 

I've only read that they named it after him. Do you have a link?

6 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Source?

Boy. And you want to call me a leg Humper:)

No. He worked on nothing on his own. Every senior working Royal has to go through official channels and work with Royal advisors coordinate Activities. They And the Queen also approve or disprove what ever pet project said Royal wants. He was allowed to do things by a doting granny and a media team who kid  great press. 

And Now? He threw it all away to be a wanna be California socialite? Who has to hire Photogs to Follow him to cemetery’s. 

Let’s get real: He is Diana’s baby boy and young attractive Prince. That’s where 90 percent of his popularity came from and not from his supposed Charisma and drive. His own actions and words have never impressed. 

If all senior royals have to go through official channels and coordinate with staff then why is it only Harry’s projects that are diminished by this? By this standard Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and the rest are also just messing around being allowed to do things by a doting mummy/granny so there’s no need to look down on Harry for when he was doing the same as the rest of them. 

Harry’s done stuff I disagree with, and been flat out wrong (the Nazi costume) but has done good stuff too. Like most people.

• Upvote 11

11 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I've only read that they named it after him. Do you have a link?

‘They told the paper that evening: “Before SussexRoyal, came the idea of ‘Arche’—the Greek word meaning source of action. We connected to this concept for the charitable organization we hoped to build one day, and it became the inspiration for our son’s name. To do something of meaning, to do something that matters.”‘

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.purewow.com/news/what-does-royal-baby-name-archie-harrison-mountbatten-windsor-mean%3famphtml=true

• Upvote 4

What I miss in this whole discussion - on here and in general - is an acknowledgment of the fact that being royal doesn’t only have perks. Yes, being insanely rich must be great, living in castles, meeting famous and interesting people, not having to worry about losing one’s job - all that surely is really comfortable.

But I’m sure it’s fair to say that life as a royal isn’t just about jewels and champagne. Being born (or marrying into) such prominent families - in Britain and other countries - comes with significant downsides, with the constant media attention, scrutiny, and a lack of privacy being only some. Being royal doesn’t just mean that you’ll live a fulfilled and happy life.

Princess Diana got very sick as soon as she got engaged to Charles (his treatment of her seems to be a main factor here, but having been thrown into such a fishbowl contributed as well, I reckon), Victoria of Sweden suffered from anorexia in her younger years and moved out of the country for some time, her sister (Madeleine) lives abroad and raises her children in the US instead of in Sweden, Masako of Japan is severely sick since around two decades, according to The Crown, the queen’s sister Margret made at least one suicide attempt... and the list could go on I suppose. Royalty does not equate happiness. 

So my point is, Harry and Meghan have every right to decide how they want to live. The fact that Harry was born into a rich royal family doesn’t come with the requirement he has to accept the life that was planned out for him by others. He was born rich because that’s just the system in the UK: the country is a constitutional monarchy. Some people are born very privileged. If so many Britons are unhappy about the fact Harry can act the way he acts, they should attempt to abolish the monarchy. Harry just happened to be born into the Windsor family but he can still decide he wants to live differently - for whatever reason. And his family financially supporting him is their right. 

What I do find telling, though, is that H and M moved to the US when Archie was a baby. It makes me guess that Harry doesn’t want his child to grow up the way he was raised. Whether I agree with him or not, he and his wife don’t have any obligation to make a different decision because he’s related to the queen. They  have the right to live their own lives. 

• Upvote 15

That’s fine. Then he needs to settle on one choice and not try to keep the perks and honors without the work. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

On 1/10/2021 at 3:36 AM, viii said:

I’d believe it. Harry has spoken multiple times before Meghan of how he wished for a different life. If he had not been allowed to marry her (black divorced actress) I think he would have still peaced out. 

He did, he also underwent therapy and for at least 5 years or so seemed to be ok and actually pretty happy. While he has discussed how being royal (as in pressure and intrusion) wasn’t exactly what he wanted he never stated before the wedding that he has a problem with the family itself. While every long term royal watcher knows that the Windsors are not exactly the Brady Bunch but seem to be rather cold, dysfunctional and not really close to each other- only Diana has openly talked about that before. Their whole PR for the last 7-10 years was out to rebuild Charles and the families image. Harry went along with it just fine. It really looked as if he had found a way to be ok and actually happy with his place in life. He and Meghan made a big deal about how welcome she was, how his family took her in from the start. That’s their own words. I cannot wrap my head around it. Did they lie? Did the BRF do a 180* turnover after they signed the marriage certificate?

I don’t think he would have made that step on his own. He would have kept his child hidden as much as possible with hissy fits about his privacy though. But he would have always needed someone else to actually up and leave. Another woman might have brought a different outcome. In my opinion he is struggling a lot in finding his place at the moment. Being a Prince and all that entails was his existence. All his accomplishments were only possible of that (which is true for most of them- they aren’t as educated as most of the other European royals. Charles’ thrive for organic farming might be the only intrinsic interest that would have made an impact either way). 
Meghan and Harry enable each other and not always for the better. They could have been the easy going, preferred and hyped glamorous counterpart to Kate and Wiliam. They weren’t able to power through the obligatory 3-5 years of bashing by the press (which doesn’t mean they should have swallowed racism! They should have dragged out into the public and sued every poster that made a racist comment). They trapped Meghan in a situation she only could loose with their “power woman”, “hit the ground running” narrative. She definitely did a lot and a lot of people noticed but she had to learn the ropes and was bound to screw up from time to time. But when you sell yourself ever so ready and media accomplished, you cannot deliver less than that. Especially when everyone knows that the tabloids just wait for a misstep or will create one out of the tiniest detail. A more humble approach would have served her better. Why neither Harry nor the palace PR didn’t foresee this is beyond me. I also think that she definitely didn’t get that the royals have a love-hate relationship with the public and that royal bashing is a popular thing. She was the newest punching ball. I also believe she missed that celebrity lifestyle.

Their dysfunctional families probably have influenced their actions directly and indirectly. (You can say about Kate and her family what you will- the Middletons saved Wiliam for going down a similar path.) Harry being the “spare” and Meghan for ever only playing second fiddle in terms of official protocol will have played a big role too. 

I don’t blame them for leaving. BUT riding piggyback on privileges of their royal connections while publicly dragging the BRF through the mud is pretty undignified in my opinion. They had a bumpy start with all their endeavours. I have written my two cents about it. Only now things start to actually happen. I wish them success. 

On 1/10/2021 at 2:45 PM, Topaz said:

If all senior royals have to go through official channels and coordinate with staff then why is it only Harry’s projects that are diminished by this? By this standard Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and the rest are also just messing around being allowed to do things by a doting mummy/granny so there’s no need to look down on Harry for when he was doing the same as the rest of them. 

Harry’s done stuff I disagree with, and been flat out wrong (the Nazi costume) but has done good stuff too. Like most people.

I think most royal watchers are absolutely aware of that. If you are not a die hard fan of them, you pretty quickly realise that they (especially the BRF) only accomplish this much because of their privileges and not because of their massive drive or energy. They have to do charity and have to pick a focus topic or pull high numbers with lots of different charities. They benefit from great teams that figure stuff out for them. They are figure heads nothing more most of the time.

People praise Harry for Invictus- he got to know about the American original Warrior Games(?) and though ‘cool’ and then had a team organise it with him using his profile to gather support. There is not one ounce of originality to it- it’s still a cool thing. Wiliams Earthshot Initiative probably came into reality in a similar way. Kate and the early year survey is the same. It and all the research happens with or without her. I think the BRF is worth their money and wouldn’t want to miss them but I don’t delude myself into thinking they are laying awake at night planning how to save the world.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

16 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

He and Meghan made a big deal about how welcome she was, how his family took her in from the start. That’s their own words. I cannot wrap my head around it. Did they lie? Did the BRF do a 180* turnover after they signed the marriage certificate?

I remember that interview...it was around Christmaste and Harry said that Meghan getting to spend Christmas with his family was like “the family she never had” and that set her half-sister and half-brother off on a bunch of interview tirades about what a tight-knit family they’d been growing up.

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

I hope the whole thing will be over soon. The news about them have died substantially and honestly, it’s really nice without all the drama.

• Upvote 2

Hear ye, hear ye: There is a new rule on FJ. Please do NOT just post links without context or explaining a little content. Not everyone wants to click on random links and possibly get cooties! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 8

Rule discussion always belongs in Community Discussion. Here is the discussion for the new rule if anyone wishes to further comment.

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, LittleOwl said:

Sussex No. 2 on their way (via bbc) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56065300

I just saw the news and came here to post about it, but you beat me to it ?

Well, I hope Meghan can enjoy a pregnancy with less media scrutiny compared to her last, when they still lived in England. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

I thought she was pregnant when she published her article about her miscarriage, which obviously was going to trigger a bump watch. She’s been out of sight since then, right? 

Having caught up on the thread, I realized that I never posted about the dueling Sussex books from last summer, “Finding Freedom” (Team Meghan) and “Meghan and Harry: The Real Story” (Team Establishment). Neither has much in the way of revelations, but reading them close together had an intriguing Rashomon quality. 

The critical book was more interesting to me, because it explained the cultural differences between Meghan and the society she married into. (The book also helped me pick up some things that had been going over my head in British television shows.) Being an American, my sympathy was with Meghan, but I also think that maybe she should have made more of an effort to fit in. She should have been told the rules explicitly, and been given more time to adjust. My favorite example is that the British upper class doesn’t wear gold jewelry in the daytime, and apparently that includes accessories, so they were clutching their pearls over Meghan having a purse with a gold clasp!

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic