IGNORED

Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand

samurai_sarah

No. To them Eve probably represents men’s downfall and women’s innate weakness and prone to sinning Plus the fact a man did not lead his wife and So got them get out of paradise. 

Seems to me Young modern modest Fundie mothers are going for cutesy trendy names with or without Kre8tive spellings instead of biblical while Anna, Bethany, Hannah And the like were in style 25 or 30 years ago. I prefer the latter personally. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Jinger was promoting Compassion International in her stories this morning.  As a compassion sponsor of two girls, it was nice to see her using her influence for something helpful instead of shilling the usual nonsense.  

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, wendy-sparkles said:

Today's bible readings (if you're Catholic) have this bit from Genesis:

"The man called his wife Eve,
   because she became the mother of all the living."

Which makes me think .... surely Eve is the most quiverfull name???

Zoe(y) Is  Greek for Eve so we have a Bates baby with the most quiverfull name sort of lol 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

been catching on fj in the background lately after not posting for a very long time, but is it possible its hope-stead almost as in homestead? i have no idea how that would make sense for them personally but offering the insight anyways! [emoji1]

• Upvote 2

They have put information about the non profits they have decided the hats and candles will contribute to- one is Jeremy’s mum’s organisation Swan and the other is the Compassion for children non profit Jinger is promoting. It runs a child sponsorship scheme with a heavy emphasis on Christian ‘training’. Still, I’m glad Mediccorp isn’t up there! 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Um - I'm a Compassion sponsor of two girls - one in Bolivia and and one in Tanzania.  I personally prefer not to call it a scheme (also has a good rating on Charity Navigator). 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Still, I’m glad Mediccorp isn’t up there! 

Me too-- I was assuming it would be one of the "charities"

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Idlewild said:

They have put information about the non profits they have decided the hats and candles will contribute to- one is Jeremy’s mum’s organisation Swan and the other is the Compassion for children non profit Jinger is promoting. It runs a child sponsorship scheme with a heavy emphasis on Christian ‘training’. Still, I’m glad Mediccorp isn’t up there! 

I think Compassion for Children is a legitimate organization.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I’m not doubting Compassion’s legitimacy- I’d never heard of it before and read about it on its own website. In the past I sponsored a child via Action Aid so Compassion is quite a different concept. 

@clueliss, we help a family we know in Biharamulo with school expenses for their daughter.  We do this privately and not through any organization.  Biharamulo is up in northwestern Tanzania west of Lake Victoria.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

I had another thought about Eh-van-juh-line: I think many of us assumed that Jeremy would be behind this because of his pompousness, but maybe this is all Jinger? She's got a trashy, made-up name so I can understand her going in another direction with her kids. I know plenty of people who were Jennifers married to Matts who names their kids Ziggy or Delta so that their name would make them stand out. I similarly know of Isises and Daytonas who named their kids Jane or Adam because they found their unusual names embarrassing and limiting. Out of all the Duggars, bar Jimbob, Jinger has the name that prompts you to start humming Cotton Eye Joe. It makes sense to me she would choose a name she thinks screams CLASSY!

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I had another thought about Eh-van-juh-line: I think many of us assumed that Jeremy would be behind this because of his pompousness, but maybe this is all Jinger? She's got a trashy, made-up name so I can understand her going in another direction with her kids. I know plenty of people who were Jennifers married to Matts who names their kids Ziggy or Delta so that their name would make them stand out. I similarly know of Isises and Daytonas who named their kids Jane or Adam because they found their unusual names embarrassing and limiting. Out of all the Duggars, bar Jimbob, Jinger has the name that prompts you to start humming Cotton Eye Joe. It makes sense to me she would choose a name she thinks screams CLASSY!

This is a really great point, and I agree. But it also made me laugh because my aunt is named Jennifer and she married a guy named Matt! (They don’t have any kids though.)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, baldricks_turnip said:

Maybe it's just cultural or regional, but to me "Evy Jo" kind of cancels out the grandiosity  of Evangeline.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Maybe it's just cultural or regional, but to me "Evy Jo" kind of cancels out the grandiosity  of Evangeline.

I was thinking this too. Felicity, a name I consider to be rather old fashioned and grand, becoming Lissy is cute and uncommon. Evangelize, another name I consider to be old fashioned and grand, becoming “Evy Jo” just kind of seems... flat to me. It’s a cute name sure, but it doesn’t strike me the same way Felicity/Lissy does, despite being a name style I like. I tend to like old fashioned names, the names at the top of my list for my someday far in the future kid is Hershel for a boy and Florence for a girl, felicity and Evangeline totally fit that same theme but I find Evy Jo to kind of take away from it, but it’s not my kid so whatever I guess. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Is it bad that whenever I see their stupid home and stead stuff, all I can hear in my head is the mean girls saying, "JinJer stop saying home + stead, it's NOT going to happen!"

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

On 12/11/2020 at 8:13 PM, Bazinga said:

Is it bad that whenever I see their stupid home and stead stuff, all I can hear in my head is the mean girls saying, "JinJer stop saying home + stead, it's NOT going to happen!"

I have read everything everyone said and I still can't wrap my head around it. If they are going to center their whole lives around creating a "brand," they need to rethink this one. Unless they're fine with their brand being WTF?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 12/9/2020 at 11:55 PM, Peaches-n-Beans said:

Evangelize

Lol, I actually think of her as Evangelize, or Evangelica, in my head. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Pickles linked an article on her FB page showing Jeremy attending church services without a mask.  It was not a socially distant service either.  Sorry I can’t do a link.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Pickles linked an article on her FB page showing Jeremy attending church services without a mask.  It was not a socially distant service either.  Sorry I can’t do a link.

So all their mask wearing and claiming they can’t leave their free house due to the quarantine is just for show?? Who’d have thought? Next you’ll be telling me John David is a pilot!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 24

On 12/8/2020 at 7:01 AM, tabitha2 said:

Seems to me Young modern modest Fundie mothers are going for cutesy trendy names with or without Kre8tive spellings instead of biblical while Anna, Bethany, Hannah And the like were in style 25 or 30 years ago. I prefer the latter personally. 

Well that's true of many young people. They prefer the names that seem fresh to them versus names of people they know that seem played out.  There's reason why the top ten names (by popularity) change over time. And fundies know lots of people due to everyone having big families. They probably know 30 Annas, 20 Hannahs and 3 or 4 Bethanys.  There are so many fundies named Anna, it's changed my perception of the name. 

• Upvote 5

On 12/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, Intothewind said:

Lol, I actually think of her as Evangelize, or Evangelica, in my head. 

Omg I didn’t even realize I’d done that, a side effect of freejinger  and wine ? but it does fit 

Edited by Peaches-n-Beans
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

Evy Jo's birth episode.

god, you can tell which grandmother has 19 grandkids and which only has two. Diana has given so much thought  and care to how Felicity might feel. It is very cute and grandmother-ish that she rushed out to buy decorations and presents not only to celebrate the baby, but to help involve Felicity and make this experience really positive for her. She's obviously bursting with excitement. I've never seen Michelle consider anything like that.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

And Jinger is one of the daughters, she seems genuinely close to. I still remember the birthday videos of Jordan giving Michelle "you're weird" side-eye. 10 years from now, I not sure how engaged Michelle can feign being. 

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic