IGNORED

Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

do you think they mean stead as in stead fast? 

I think that is what they are probably going for.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

22 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I feel like Jinger and Jeremy are trying to follow Audrey and Jeremy Roloff’s footsteps. They’ve both got podcasts, they now both have stores where their brand is a vague phrase (Always More is the Roloff’s), and potentially the Vuolos also have a book of “their story” coming out next year. Next thing we know Jinger will be selling essential oils too ? Their store is super bland and you’d think that for all their hype it would at least have tshirts/sweatshirts or at least more than just hats and candles. I am seeing several people criticizing them on Jinger’s Insta for selling their own merchandise though so at least not all their followers are buying from them. 

Speaking of the Roloffs, I went to a used bookstore yesterday and they had a bunch of Christian books up front as you enter the story (we live in the Bible Belt so that makes sense lol) and I noticed Audrey and Jeremy's book on the shelf. It's always wild seeing fundie books in the wild. But I'm wondering about how their book ended up at the bookstore... like is the person who donated the book a snarker or a fundie? I have so many questions now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, mstee said:

I read it as home and steed and that made zero sense ?

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one. 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Jesquire said:

I was thinking it was a play on "homestead"  and then also playing with Hope (b/c Jesus) and Stead(fast b/c Jesus).

The Gaines one I thought was a bit of a rip off from 4-H honestly.

The OG Dugs, and 2nd gen, would really do better marketing their established Duggar brand.  The Gaines Target line worked b/c they already had a major following of their home-stuff themed show. The Duggars should make matching kid outfits, or ready to eat meal kits, family games, or something at least tangentially-related to why they are/were famous. Candles and hats are not it.

The grown Duggar children have all struggled to establish any kind of brand outside of being their parents children. I’m always amazed at how many influencers there are who did not grow up on tv, but have somehow managed to create a huge SM following just by sharing their day-to-day lives. The Duggar girls on the other hand have a huge amount of followers and haven’t ever seemed to really tap into how to use them (the face care/hair care ads seem like ads all the beginner influencers get and they’ve never been able to break past that). At least Jeremy and Audrey have been able to figure out a way to brand themselves outside the show. Even though most influencers posts are obviously staged, Jeremy and Audrey have managed to make their SM presence look more effortless than Jeremy and Jinger (their posts for awhile we’re a little cringe-y; I think they let their SM manager go and are trying to be more “natural”).  I think Jeremy and Jinger desperately want to leave the show, they just haven’t found anything else that’s worked for them yet and they’re not willing to go the Derrick and Jill route and leave anyway and figure it out as they go along.

Actually, if they wanted career/branding advice I’d suggest Ben and Jeremy team up and develop some sort of Christian sports program. The two of them seem like they probably get along better than any of the other guys, it would be a simple, clear project to get behind, and be a way for them to stand out from the rest of the family. Their wives being besties could also help. If just Jinger and Jessa teamed up with mom, kid, fashion advice they could probably make a go of it. Right now there are so many Duggars that narrowing their focus and choosing siblings to partner with would probably actually help their brand. Right now they’re just all over the place and trying to figure out what will work.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

@DalmatianCat Ben "did" a football camp for an episode. I think a Christian sports camps would be a huge thing, they could have football, baseball, soccer, basketball, wrestling & golf camps year round and maybe specialty camps like rugby & lacross, once a year. This would have to be in NW AR, there are more than enough people in the area to support these kids camps, you can get semi pros (like Jeremy) to run camps, retired players looking to make a few bucks, people pay out the ass for this stuff. Can you imagine a Football camp with Tim Teabow giving instruction? 

But I'm guessing this a ton of work meaning these two wouldn't want to do all that, when the grift it so much easier. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, DalmatianCat said:

The grown Duggar children have all struggled to establish any kind of brand outside of being their parents children. I’m always amazed at how many influencers there are who did not grow up on tv, but have somehow managed to create a huge SM following just by sharing their day-to-day lives. The Duggar girls on the other hand have a huge amount of followers and haven’t ever seemed to really tap into how to use them (the face care/hair care ads seem like ads all the beginner influencers get and they’ve never been able to break past that). At least Jeremy and Audrey have been able to figure out a way to brand themselves outside the show. Even though most influencers posts are obviously staged, Jeremy and Audrey have managed to make their SM presence look more effortless than Jeremy and Jinger (their posts for awhile we’re a little cringe-y; I think they let their SM manager go and are trying to be more “natural”).  I think Jeremy and Jinger desperately want to leave the show, they just haven’t found anything else that’s worked for them yet and they’re not willing to go the Derrick and Jill route and leave anyway and figure it out as they go along.

Actually, if they wanted career/branding advice I’d suggest Ben and Jeremy team up and develop some sort of Christian sports program. The two of them seem like they probably get along better than any of the other guys, it would be a simple, clear project to get behind, and be a way for them to stand out from the rest of the family. Their wives being besties could also help. If just Jinger and Jessa teamed up with mom, kid, fashion advice they could probably make a go of it. Right now there are so many Duggars that narrowing their focus and choosing siblings to partner with would probably actually help their brand. Right now they’re just all over the place and trying to figure out what will work.

Aside from their small fan base, the Duggars really are not relatable to the general population, AND the Duggars obviously do no think that they have any sort of personal societal or community responsibility outside of their small fiefdom. If you want to sell family values, large families, limited roles for women, you have to make sure that your life style reflects those values. In the Duggars’ case it all rings false. Their son was a serial teen molester, their daughters are lackluster housewives and the well being of children seems to be an afterthought. Next, they come off as entitled. They operate on their time schedule and in their own world. Responsibility and hustle is limited to a very few members (Austin, Derrick). The one thing they have honed is the grift. Who is going to buy face cleansing product recommendations from Joy or Jinger, or fashion ideas from Jill? Come on now. Now athletic wear from Alyssa W., or hair products from Josie B, sure. Why don’t they do something associated with music? 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The one thing they have honed is the grift. Who is going to buy face cleansing product recommendations from Joy or Jinger, or fashion ideas from Jill? Come on now. Now athletic wear from Alyssa W., or hair products from Josie B, sure. Why don’t they do something associated with music? 

But have they really honed it? None of them are living particularly glamorous lives. Their homes and lifestyles seem relatively simple. Their houses are small, they go out for tacos and chocolate messes not to fancy restaurants, they buy clothes at consignment sales (Jinger and Jeremy excluded, of course). They definitely try to get sponsorships, but don’t have much luck. I’m amazed by how many 29-something influencers there are right now giving away trips to Disneyworld, luxury handbags, $100 gift certificates, etc. to their followers all while going on fabulous vacations, throwing out coupon codes for the matching boutique outfits their kids wear, and building “dream homes”. The Duggar girls seem to not know how to tap into that market. I’m in the minority on this, but I don’t think it’s because they’re lazy...I think it’s because they haven’t figured out how to work social media. I’m guessing part of it is because they were late adopters of SM and probably still feel rather conflicted/guilty about using it. The show worked for them for a long time (and arguably, still is), so they haven’t needed to change their approach, and now they’re behind the trend trying to play catch-up.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DalmatianCat said:

But have they really honed it? None of them are living particularly glamorous lives. Their homes and lifestyles seem relatively simple. Their houses are small, they go out for tacos and chocolate messes not to fancy restaurants, they buy clothes at consignment sales (Jinger and Jeremy excluded, of course). They definitely try to get sponsorships, but don’t have much luck. I’m amazed by how many 29-something influencers there are right now giving away trips to Disneyworld, luxury handbags, $100 gift certificates, etc. to their followers all while going on fabulous vacations, throwing out coupon codes for the matching boutique outfits their kids wear, and building “dream homes”. The Duggar girls seem to not know how to tap into that market. I’m in the minority on this, but I don’t think it’s because they’re lazy...I think it’s because they haven’t figured out how to work social media. I’m guessing part of it is because they were late adopters of SM and probably still feel rather conflicted/guilty about using it. The show worked for them for a long time (and arguably, still is), so they haven’t needed to change their approach, and now they’re behind the trend trying to play catch-up.

Yes, for them they are. Remember Michelle’s words when venue shopping for  Jill’s wedding. “The Duggars are more backyard and barefoot than country clubs and fancy dishes.” (Or something similar). Most of the Duggars are simple. They are happy grifting Walmart goods. They are not all Jeremy Vuolo.

• Upvote 13

Jinger's Instagram at least used to be interesting in that the pics varied and it was kind of a 'daily life' glimpse (though most days looked the same). Of course, you can't go visiting all the coffee shops during a pandemic, but now it's become all ads for their podcast / 'store', and it's so boring and rings so false.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

So, Evangeline will go by Evy Jo, according to Jeremy. Not sure if they're also pronouncing it Eh-vee or switching it up with Eh-vee.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

So, Evangeline will go by Evy Jo, according to Jeremy. Not sure if they're also pronouncing it Eh-vee or switching it up with Eh-vee.

Isn't that a very Southern thing of them to do? Sounds very Batesy.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 10

6 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Isn't that a very Southern thing of them to do? Sounds very Batesy.

Or Petticoat Junction: Billie Jo, Bobbie Jo and Betty Jo Bradley.

ETA: My mom was a Billie Jo.  I think only Aunt Alice called her Billie Jo.  My dad and her friends called her Billie and my cousins Aunt Bill. I think that some of her sibs called her Bill, as well.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Casserole,  I find the Gaines's collection of crap at Target to be extremely bland and boring.  

I never even see anyone going in that section and looking at it. It's all so bland so why bother buying it? (Imo)

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Or Petticoat Junction: Billie Jo, Bobbie Jo and Betty Jo Bradley.

ETA: My mom was a Billie Jo.  I think only Aunt Alice called her Billie Jo.  My dad and her friends called her Billie and my cousins Aunt Bill. I think that some of her sibs called her Bill, as well.

My maternal GM was Josephine (Feeney). My mom is Sally Jo. I am First name Jo. My mom goes by Sally Jo. I do not go by both names.

I am confused. So are both EMF and EJV going by the same nick name or not? 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3

Yes @SassyPants they are both Evie, they will just use the middle names to differentiate between the two, so they are Evie Mae and Evie Jo...plus there Ivy, it will get confused soon even here, I know we will understand also from context, and parents but why don't choose another nickname? 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

So both evy like Chevy you would think jinger would at least Evie ee vee 

but you know what if I was completely set on a name, I would use it to, similarities be dammed. 
there was only one name I would never have changed no one used it and I didn’t have a boy. So I was never put in that position. I did have a top girls name that I did get to use but had some one else close used it first I could have seen that as a “sign” to go with my very close second. 
incidentally my niece had a baby six months after me and had it of a girl it would have rhymes with my daughter think chloe and Zoe which I did think was odd at the time they would want to use one so close . But as they didn’t use it. I didn’t put much more thought into it. But no I have I don’t see the big deal on repeating names especially very common names. Now if you went out of your way to give your kid a super unique one of a kind name. Say Beyoncé (I know there may be more now named after ) but at her birth she may have been the one and only. If someone took my one and only name, I may be pissed. 
that’s my ramble. :) 

• Upvote 2

I'm now wondering... did both Jinger and Joy initially plan to just call their girls Evy, and if so are -Mae and -Jo actually qualifiers introduced to distinguish between the two?

Like if the penny dropped while they were pregnant - 'oh shit, we both want the same name!' -  was this the compromise they came to? It's trendy to have little hyphenated first names so I wasn't surprised that Joy had chosen Evy-Mae, it's just now in retrospect I'm wondering if she hadn't initially just intended to call her daughter Evy.

Joy and Jinger strike me as having about the least in common among those older sisters, they're chalk and cheese in many respects and don't seem to really hang out/take interest in one another. I really wonder if this was an awkward conversation for them, if anyone strong-armed anyone else, if they enjoy having the bond of matching baby names, or if they just don't feel they'll see one another enough for it to matter.

• Upvote 21

10 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

Joy and Jinger strike me as having about the least in common among those older sisters, they're chalk and cheese in many respects and don't seem to really hang out/take interest in one another. I really wonder if this was an awkward conversation for them, if anyone strong-armed anyone else, if they enjoy having the bond of matching baby names, or if they just don't feel they'll see one another enough for it to matter.

I thought about that too. They live on opposite sides of the country and definitely seem to have the least in common personality, lifestyle  or interest wise - and their husbands definitely don’t seem to share a great deal of common interests either. It would definitely seem a little strange if say Anna and Kendra’s same age girls had the exact same name, seeing each other every day - but for cousins who will likely only see each other a few times a year- if that- not so odd. I can’t see Austin and Joy and kiddos making the trek to LA just to hang out with Jinger and Jeremy and go to a book club and high-end cheese tasting - or Jeremy and Jinger off mudding with Austin and Joy. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

On 12/3/2020 at 11:30 PM, marmalade said:

Not sure if they're also pronouncing it Eh-vee or switching it up with Eh-vee.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I think they should call her Eeevee. 

On 12/4/2020 at 6:44 PM, SassyPants said:

So are both EMF and EJV going by the same nick name or not? 

On 12/5/2020 at 3:20 AM, Italiangirl said:

they are both Evie, they will just use the middle names to differentiate between the two, so they are Evie Mae and Evie Jo

On 12/5/2020 at 5:20 AM, AussieKrissy said:

So both evy like Chevy you would think jinger would at least Evie ee vee 

I think it should be "Oy vey".

Not for the kids. For the parents. ?

Edited by Shouldabeenacowboy
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

Maybe ee-vee is too close to Eve. Wasn't she the one who caused all the sinning to begin?  Or was Eve good? I could easily have my bible people mixed up, you know, kind of like Gil and Kelly...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

Today's bible readings (if you're Catholic) have this bit from Genesis:

"The man called his wife Eve,
   because she became the mother of all the living."

Which makes me think .... surely Eve is the most quiverfull name???

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic