IGNORED

Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand

samurai_sarah

Why Does Jinger look like Mary Ingalls from the seventies Little House TV series on that cover?

• Upvote 6

I clicked on the book link in not an incognito browser window like a silly human and now fundie and fundie-adjacent book recommendations are clogging up my amazon. I feel like I need to look up books, even if I already own them, like How to Be Anti-Racist to drown it out. ?

Also, I may have totally fail sauced, but in the discussion for Jinger's birth special of Evangeline, did we discuss that Jeremy goes "You brought your violin" to Jordyn and she replies with "I had to" to which Michelle chimes in "She says she 'had to' not that she wanted to" (paraphrase on Michelle only, it's very close but I can't remember the exact and I won't subject myself to it again) which to me felt like she was invalidating Jordyn's experience as well as covering up the "have to" or discipline implications. Shady shady shady. #FreeJordyn

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

On 1/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, KeepingChrysanthemum said:

Also, I may have totally fail sauced, but in the discussion for Jinger's birth special of Evangeline, did we discuss that Jeremy goes "You brought your violin" to Jordyn and she replies with "I had to" to which Michelle chimes in "She says she 'had to' not that she wanted to" (paraphrase on Michelle only, it's very close but I can't remember the exact and I won't subject myself to it again) which to me felt like she was invalidating Jordyn's experience as well as covering up the "have to" or discipline implications. Shady shady shady. #FreeJordyn

I actually heard that part of the birth special and thought it was weird that they were talking like a normal mother and her adolescent daughter ?

• Upvote 2

I just want to say how refreshing it is to read an online discussion of unusual names without anyone swearing that their cousin's best friend's neighbor's younger sister is a teacher and totally has had a student named La-a, Oranjello, or Lemonjello, and if you say they're lying and racist, it's because you are a shitlord.

My name is one that used to be a man's name but is now solidly feminine. It's a rather old fashioned name, like Evelyn, but unlike Evelyn, it's not come back into fashion. When I was in fifth grade, I changed schools and when the teacher introduced me, a kid raised his hand and said that I had the same name as his grandpa. That definitely helped me win friends and influence people.

My sister's name is one that was fairly uncommon when she was born in 1991, but is now consistently in the top 5 for girls in the US, which makes our mother insane. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

My name is common enough that everyone in the English speaking world has heard it before, but uncommon enough that I've only met three or four other people who share it with me.

I did have a roommate once at boarding school with the same name, and we both have animal last names (hers was Wolfe, mine is more along the lines of Crow) so that was kind of fun.

• Upvote 2

On 1/2/2021 at 7:14 PM, Daisy0322 said:

My name is phonetically just spelled wrong so it’s mispronounced constantly. Also people will call me the wrong nafor years after I meet them despite my corrections. (Not my name but think Alicia pronounced Ah-lee-see-yah). I hate it and I’ve thought about changing the spelling. What was your experience with changing it? 

I wonder if your name uses non-English pronunciation? My friend Alicia says it the way you spelled it out - it's Spanish. She does have to correct a lot of people.

If your parents deliberately gave you a kreeatyvve spelling, that feels different. I definitely understand considering changing it! I hope you find a solution that makes you happy.

Imagining the Hope We Hold/Archewell Audio crossover podcast:

”We’re from a big, famous family...”

”Us too!”

”But they had a ton of rules about how we had to dress and educate our children, and a mandatory religion...”

”Us too!”

”So now we live in LA and have a podcast...”

”Us too! It’s awesome!”

”Yeah!”

• Haha 19
  • Love 1

There is a road here in CA named Zzyzx. I actually know someone who gave their child Zzyzx as a middle name. They considered it as a first name but decided it would be too weird.

• Confused 1

Zzyzx is a town in San Bernardino county as well as a road in Baker.

• Upvote 3

On 1/8/2021 at 11:50 AM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I wonder if your name uses non-English pronunciation? My friend Alicia says it the way you spelled it out - it's Spanish. She does have to correct a lot of people.

If your parents deliberately gave you a kreeatyvve spelling, that feels different. I definitely understand considering changing it! I hope you find a solution that makes you happy.

My youngest sister is named Lucia, but with the pronunciation common in Croatian and Serbian: Lute-see-ah. It throws everyone for a loop and she mostly goes by Lulu when she's in the US. I've always liked her name because it's one she can grow into, plus Lulu is an adorable nickname for a little girl (she is 7).

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, Joe Pukepail said:

My youngest sister is named Lucia, but with the pronunciation common in Croatian and Serbian: Lute-see-ah. It throws everyone for a loop and she mostly goes by Lulu when she's in the US. I've always liked her name because it's one she can grow into, plus Lulu is an adorable nickname for a little girl (she is 7).

I love that name. I have heard it loo see ahh and loo shar as the pronunciations. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

55 minutes ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@Joe Pukepail my daughter had a friend at school with the name Lucia, she is of Italian descent and its pronounced Lu Chee Ah 

There was a girl in my class at school called Lucia with that pronunciation, don’t think she was of Italian descent though. 

• Upvote 4

On 1/8/2021 at 7:12 AM, Joe Pukepail said:

My sister's name is one that was fairly uncommon when she was born in 1991, but is now consistently in the top 5 for girls in the US, which makes our mother insane

My brother was named a very uncommon name. Years after, that name was trendy among "chavs", which made my mom insane, too.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@Joe Pukepail my daughter had a friend at school with the name Lucia, she is of Italian descent and its pronounced Lu Chee Ah 

Oh yes I have heard one too. 

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

My brother was named a very uncommon name. Years after, that name was trendy among "chavs", which made my mom insane, too.

My niece has a name that is basically a one off  she now shares that name with the nickname of a name that is common with the “chavs” of Australia aka the “bogans”. Luckily she is a about ten years older than when this bogan baby name came into popularity. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/10/2021 at 5:04 AM, IsmeWeatherwax said:

My friends-of-friends from Spain have a Lucia, pronounced Lu-THEE-a. The th is like "think", not "thee"

The lisping in Spain is never not cute to me, as someone who took Spanish of the New World variety in high school!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

My friends-of-friends from Spain have a Lucia, pronounced Lu-THEE-a. The th is like "think", not "thee"

The lisping in Spain is never not cute to me, as someone who took Spanish of the New World variety in high school!

Oh, this is a gorgeous variation.

• Love 1

On 1/5/2021 at 12:53 PM, Nothing if not critical said:

My husband has a male coworker called Francis who goes by Fran. Is that common in the States? Because Fran sounds very "female" to me.

Fran makes me think of Fran Fine, the Nanny. ? Cute Name, but definitely female to my ears.

But Francis doesn’t sound female to me - keep in mind in German, though, so that might play a role in how names sound/appear to me. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 1/5/2021 at 12:53 PM, Nothing if not critical said:

My husband has a male coworker called Francis who goes by Fran. Is that common in the States? Because Fran sounds very "female" to me.

In Spain, Fran is a nickname for Francisco and a 100% male name. Nickname Fran was a bit trendy in the 80's and 90's. Now it's outdated. 

Francisco also has the nickname Paco. Which is very outdated and kind of grandpa name nowadays.

Francisca is the female version. Elder ones used to be called Paquita or Paca. The name is very impopular for girls now, but there are some Francesca/Cesca in Catalonia. Pronounced Fran-Seh-s-ka.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

In Spain, Fran is a nickname for Francisco and a 100% male name. Nickname Fran was a bit trendy in the 80's and 90's. Now it's outdated. 

Francisco also has the nickname Paco. Which is very outdated and kind of grandpa name nowadays.

Francisca is the female version. Elder ones used to be called Paquita or Paca. The name is very impopular for girls now, but there are some Francesca/Cesca in Catalonia. Pronounced Fran-Seh-s-ka.

I never knew that Paco was a nickname for Francisco! I love stuff like this. I think my mind was blown when I learned Nacho is the nickname for Ignacio.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Have we seen pictures of Evangeline except newborn ones?  Maybe I've just missed them, but I thought we'd see lots of the two girls.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 1/9/2021 at 2:18 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Zzyzx is a town in San Bernardino county as well as a road in Baker.

With a population of 1. Debatable as to whether it's really a town or a person trying to capitalize on the name.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Have we seen pictures of Evangeline except newborn ones?  Maybe I've just missed them, but I thought we'd see lots of the two girls.

Yeah it's very strange for them not to post cute baby pictures.

5 hours ago, Joe Pukepail said:

I never knew that Paco was a nickname for Francisco! I love stuff like this. I think my mind was blown when I learned Nacho is the nickname for Ignacio.

José has nicknames Pepe and Pepito. They are also "grandpa nicknames" now.

Traditionally in Spain, men could have Maria as a middle name. José María, Luis María, etc. Another outdated tradition. José María nickname was Josemari, but also Chema. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I expect they’ll be holding back and getting a paid photo shoot for when the book launches.

That's not until May. I suspect we'll see pictures before then. They've been awfully quiet of late. Covid?

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic