IGNORED

Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand

samurai_sarah

I tell those outside of LA that I live in LA. In LA I say I live [neighborhood] but even then people on the other side of the hill don’t always know where that is. 

• Upvote 10

I'm thinking about moving to La Cañada Flintridge, but I don't want to forever be snagging in a tilde and who wants a name that long?  It's near the grandchildren though and is similar to where I lived before this place.  I'm comfortable there and that's important, too.  

For those interested, it's the home of JPL.  

It looks like it's that or Bradbury.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9

While we're on the subject of pet peeves, I get stabby when people say "Cali." No established California resident ever calls it that.

I live near, but not in, Los Angeles. I sometimes say "The greater LA area" when describing it to people out of state. Sun Valley being part of Los Angeles city was news to me and I've lived here 59 years. Two ENTIRELY different worlds.

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

While we're on the subject of pet peeves, I get stabby when people say "Cali." No established California resident ever calls it that.

I live near, but not in, Los Angeles. I sometimes say "The greater LA area" when describing it to people out of state. Sun Valley being part of Los Angeles city was news to me and I've lived here 59 years. Two ENTIRELY different worlds.

As a native Californian I agree about “Cali”- no one from here says that-

• Upvote 7

I live 45 minutes away from Glasgow, in a town that has a Glasgow postcode but it is technically in South Lanarkshire. A lot of people from other parts of Scotland don't know my home town when I tell them and usually have to tell them neighbouring towns where it is near so sometimes it is easier saying Glasgow or outside Glasgow. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I like to annoy my (Angeleno) husband by calling it ‘Cali’ from time to time ? Would never actually use it in any other context though! 

• Haha 6

On 3/19/2021 at 7:46 PM, SassyPants said:

I would of strongly agreed, until recently, when I’ve heard my most definitely California local born and bred tween grandkids call it Cali. I blame the YouTubes for this sacrilege 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13

On 3/19/2021 at 7:49 PM, livinginthelight said:

It brings me great joy to hear that "cali" is a something only weirdos call California. When my ex boyfriend got accepted to grad school at USC (we're both from the east coast), he kept mentioning that he was moving to "cali" hahahaha 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

My daughter moved to LA two years ago and most of our communication is through Facebook messages. I often refer to Cali sarcastically, but she probably rolls her eyes and thinks I’m the biggest rube.

• Haha 3

I’m just quoting myself here to give an example. In 1990, we sold a fully renovated starter home  in a crappy location in Concord, CA. The house was a 30 YO bank repo that we had purchased in 1982. We sold that home for $250,000. Concord is about 35 miles outside of SF to the East. 

Concord is east bay. The whole Bay Area is expensive. I’m north of Chico, super rural, and I’d say our prices are in line with the rest of the country. Our 3/2, 2000 square feet on 2 acres would probably sell for just under $400,000.

...or San Fran. Cringe.

Or Ne-vah-da. It’s a as in alligator in the middle.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I saw someone claim on another thread that evy jo has a facial birth mark. As it’s not being discussed here can I safely assume it’s speculation? I mean I go away for a day or so because Australia is trying to kill us again.... floods not fires this time though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, Kaylo said:

Concord is east bay. The whole Bay Area is expensive. I’m north of Chico, super rural, and I’d say our prices are in line with the rest of the country. Our 3/2, 2000 square feet on 2 acres would probably sell for just under $400,000.
...or San Fran. Cringe.

Or Ne-vah-da. It’s a as in alligator in the middle.

Don't forget, there is no noise in Illinois.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I saw someone claim on another thread that evy jo has a facial birth mark. As it’s not being discussed here can I safely assume it’s speculation? I mean I go away for a day or so because Australia is trying to kill us again.... floods not fires this time though. 

They might have been referring to what appears to be a faint angel kiss on her forehead you can see in the hospital photo. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

They might have been referring to what appears to be a faint angel kiss on her forehead you can see in the hospital photo. 

Oh thanks. Angel kisses are nothing (generally) to worry about. My daughter had one. The midwife said it will be gone by 18 months and she was right. 

hopefully that is all Evy has. I don’t wish the challenge of a perceived deformity on anyone. Everyone is beautiful regardless but tell that to a kid trying to fit in and it sucks. 
especially a kid that will be told to keep sweet about it.. 

I developed a facial deformity in adulthood and it’s made me incredibly self conscious and knocked my self esteem for 6. I can’t imagine what it would be like to grow up with one. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 24

I wonder if it’s a language thing? If I don’t really live in the city, no one hear would say they do, but always say „outside XY, near XY...“. An those who live in areas that are officially part of the city but far away from what others think when they hear the name would most definitely say they live in the city and maybe specify that’s it further out from the centre.

Those living further away, would probably give a bigger city with distance in time or kilometres for a better idea.

• Upvote 3

As someone from New Jersey, I would never pretend that I am from NYC. However, if I meet people abroad that aren't as familiar with the states, I will say that I am from around 45 minutes outside of NYC. I will usually tell people from the USA that aren't local to the regional area that I am from northern NJ. Within NJ, you may have a debate if Central Jersey exists, or if it's just North and South (NY vs Philly, because there's nothing like defining your state's geography like using cities in two other states). 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I'm not familiar with the term "angel kiss"--can someone explain?

I've heard the term "stork bite" - essentially a red birthmark on the face.  I actually (still) have one (at 57) that is very faint between my eyes on the forehead. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

I thought a stork bite was a red birthmark at the nape of the neck. I have one as do many members of my family. I believe there is a genetic component.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I'm not familiar with the term "angel kiss"--can someone explain?

It's a red birthmark on the forehead that usually fades with time. My friend's daughter had one right between her eyebrows when she was born, but now at age 2 it's completely gone.

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

As someone from New Jersey, I would never pretend that I am from NYC. However, if I meet people abroad that aren't as familiar with the states, I will say that I am from around 45 minutes outside of NYC. I will usually tell people from the USA that aren't local to the regional area that I am from northern NJ. Within NJ, you may have a debate if Central Jersey exists, or if it's just North and South (NY vs Philly, because there's nothing like defining your state's geography like using cities in two other states). 

I usually tell people not from NJ that I'm from the part of NJ that's a suburb of NYC. People from NJ I give the specific town. I think my actual New Yorker mother would kill me if I claimed to be from NYC. As for the regions of New Jersey, I usually tell people out here in California that there are 3 parts: north (the NYC suburb), south (the Philly suburb) and the shore (which is nothing like that stupid tv show don't even get me started). That being said I did attend the JCC of central New Jersey, so perhaps it does exist.

Nowadays I usually say I live in the bay area or right outside San Fransisco if they don't know what that means.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, clueliss said:

I've heard the term "stork bite" - essentially a red birthmark on the face.  I actually (still) have one (at 57) that is very faint between my eyes on the forehead. 

I have one there, too! 

• Upvote 2

I grew up about 40 minutes from St Louis in Illinois. 
As I left the area I did just start saying I was from St Louis instead of Illinois because I got tired of people asking me if I was from Chicago 

• Upvote 5

I'm currently in the Central Valley in California. I usually tell other Californians I'm about an hour from Sacramento, and tell people from other states I'm about 1.5 hours from the Bay Area. I can confirm it is easier to use big cities/metro areas as a reference when people have no idea where you live, especially when it's an area not familiar to people outside your immediate region.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic