• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

Jinger 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand

JDuggs
20 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Yes, it’s the real name, and a common degree. In some American Christian denominations it’s a prerequisite for ordination.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Divinity 

I have a friend whose daughter-in-law is working on her MDiv at Yale.

FaithAndReason

It's the real name. My favorite is if you get your doctorate, it's sometimes called a DMin (Demon) 🤣 Doctorate of Ministry

AussieKrissy
18 hours ago, indianabones said:

With that length of time I'd expect the students to become divine upon completion!

Divine pains in the arses. Oh right he already has that down pat that and pompous. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

divadivine

I had to stop by because I have friends who live in Aruba & one of them keeps posting about JINJER coming to the island & getting tickets. JINJER is Ukrainian metalcore band from Donetsk, Ukraine. It just made me laugh that this was the band’s name & they play metalcore. Jing needs some JINJER in her life. Lol. 

Expectopatronus

What was his undergrad in? I know he professes a love of classics but was that his major? (Obvious snark of his major being arrogance and minor being intolerance aside). 

Bluebirdbluebell
21 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

What was his undergrad in? I know he professes a love of classics but was that his major? (Obvious snark of his major being arrogance and minor being intolerance aside). 

business

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

Dominionatrix
On 1/24/2021 at 8:49 AM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Not a joke, I too am a Master of Divinity..image.jpeg.b5cb9655db4b45bd1d4b312118b617ca.jpeg

This must be how David Waller became a pastor. 

OldFadedStar

So, Jeremy was doing a q&a and he was asked if he believes in KJV only and his response was “Nooooooooooooooooo”. He recommends eSV or NASB which are actually the most accurate texts of the Bible. 
This means Jinger is probably reading these versions of the Bible at least some what. 
I know it isn’t a big step at all but it is a step. It puts the Bible in a more understandable language for Jinger which will help her grow into hopefully a less hateful Christian ala Jill. 

before anyone downvotes me or anything, yes this is probably not much more different than them wearing pants. But changing from KJV only means that they will be able to have more of their own thoughts about what they are reading because they will understand it more. 

clueliss

Of course he does.  McArthur has study bibles in NASB & ESV (and I think I have a McArthur ESV on the shelf in the next room)

Idlewild

For the moment I don’t see Jinger developing any thoughts that aren’t pre approved by Jeremy. 

Knight of Ni

I tried making divinity before and it was a complete disaster.  But if you ever want something that's the consistency of sheetrock mud hit me up.

OldFadedStar
5 hours ago, Idlewild said:

For the moment I don’t see Jinger developing any thoughts that aren’t pre approved by Jeremy. 

I don’t disagree with you there. I see Jessa and Jill having their own thoughts before I see Joy and Jinger. I believe Joy still does KJV too

Bastet
14 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

before anyone downvotes me or anything, yes this is probably not much more different than them wearing pants. But changing from KJV only means that they will be able to have more of their own thoughts about what they are reading because they will understand it more. 

KJV only is just so irrational. If the Duggars were KJV only this might encourage her to question the fundie received wisdom at least a little, and if the door is open a crack any stiff wind might blow things wide open. And while it might be scary to tiptoe away from Jeremy, some day it might occur to her that if her dad was wrong about some things, maybe her husband is as well. 
  At the very least, she’s raising her kids in a bigger world than she had known growing up. 

Edited by Bastet
Confused her with Jill.

Coconut Flan

So, Jeremy was doing a q&a and he was asked if he believes in KJV only and his response was “Nooooooooooooooooo”. He recommends eSV or NASB which are actually the most accurate texts of the Bible. 
This means Jinger is probably reading these versions of the Bible at least some what. 

Jinger switched off KJV at marriage as did Jill.

before anyone downvotes me or anything, yes this is probably not much more different than them wearing pants. But changing from KJV only means that they will be able to have more of their own thoughts about what they are reading because they will understand it more

It's a known step from fundiedom to regular conservative.

2 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I tried making divinity before and it was a complete disaster.  But if you ever want something that's the consistency of sheetrock mud hit me up.

My grandmother used to make it and do it well.  There was secret to it she said and taught me.  But pre-schooler me did not retain the lesson.