IGNORED

Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand

samurai_sarah

Is the geisha thing a TLC joke on the Duggars?  Because a family which believes in modesty and sexual purity should not be dressing up as high class gentleman entertainers (prostitutes).  I know not all Geisha had sex, but it was still a common part of what they did, and they were seen as the elite male entertainers.  Not the sort of thing a christian evangelist would want their (then unmarried) daughters culturally appropriating.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

"Thus typed the wrong text"

Idk... I still think that Jinger just messed them up in general rather than "Oops I thought about something else when writing this haha!"

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 11

On 1/19/2021 at 10:11 AM, AprilQuilt said:

I absolutely hate how icked out Jinger was in particular - but some of the others too - by the concept of dressing up in another culture's clothing. And how comfortable they all were in expressing it. The amount of sarcastic/mocking eye rolling/eyebrow raising/looks to camera was really unbecoming. It's so rude.

I'm going to be really charitable and say that teen girls are self-conscious, Jinger clearly has self-esteem issues, is very careful about the way she presents herself, and maybe this lack of control triggered a lot of anxiety for her. But it's so revealing how they treat other ways of life as a sort of distasteful joke. 'Unfamiliar to me' = 'weird' = 'I don't have to show it any respect'.

Apart from anything else I felt bad for the women who worked very hard to do their makeover, I assume their business generally caters to tourists so they must get all sorts of responses, but it's really rude to be mugging away like that at the efforts of a professional. In my wildest dreams, one or two of them feel a flicker of embarrassment over their behaviour now.

I agree that Jinger's attitude was disrespectful in that YouTube clip.

As you said, it was clear from her demeanor that she was very self-conscious. I do feel for these young girls who have their self-esteem crushed in fundie culture, but at the same time, at one point, you have to try new things and learn to control yourself. If it was my teen, I'd talk to her and make her realize she has to act respectful when traveling, because these people who are welcoming you, they're sharing their culture with you. It's just a question of basic respect.

THAT being said... I was surprised that some of the girls actually acted quite nice, or were able to hold in their facial expressions a little bit better. For example, Jessa seemed to be actually excited, and she was trying to convince her sister to do it.

• Upvote 11

After we left Serengeti National Park and were on our way to Arusha in 2019,  we  stopped by a Maasai village.  The women draped their traditional beads around our necks and wrapped traditional Maasai shuka, a handwoven length of plaid cloth, around us.  They wanted us to have a small taste of what Maasai life was like.   Their villages are surrounded by fences of thorn to keep lions from preying on their cattle.  

My brother's full name is a masculine, but there's a female version and the short version is used for both sexes.  When he was in high school, he got an invitation  addressed to Miss Pat Ourlastname, to a nearby college's women's weekend.  I thought he should have gone.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7

On 1/19/2021 at 9:00 AM, finnlassie said:

I wonder what Jeremy's reaction is gonna be/was as he saw that... because I bet my ass he has to have cringed at least a little

I bet he’s looking for decent Christian schools for the girls. I would be. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

My brother's full name is a masculine, but there's a female version and the short version is used for both sexes.  When he was in high school, he got an invitation  addressed to Miss Pat Ourlastname, to a nearby college's women's weekend.  I thought he should have gone.  

I'm surprised he didn't.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Markie said:

I bet he’s looking for decent Christian schools for the girls. I would be. 

I think Jeremy is solely responsible for Jinger’s post edit. Using the word “thus” screams Jeremy, and screams Jeremy screaming at Jinger to overcompensate for her error by using words like thus. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6

On 12/26/2020 at 1:26 PM, VanillaBean said:

My daughter has a classmate named Evangeline. She goes by Vang. Pronounced like vag but with an n. What were her parents thinking? I think Evangeline is a lovely name, but yes, shorten it to Evy or Lena. Not Vang.

Vangie is actually a really common nickname for Evangeline. Until reading on here, I never once associated it with vaginas.

So did I miss any discussion of the People magazine (I think) spread on their FABULOUS house and FABULOUS stuff? How the hell do they pay for that?
and again, not sure what kind of message they are trying to send out. In LA that is just a nice but modest house. In fundieland, wouldn't that be seen as rubbing it in to people who can't afford such things--or are they supposed to admire it? There are far richer, far more famous fundies in LA, so not going to impress even those folks. Is it all just to give the finger to JB? Or does Jeremy still actually believe he will become a style icon? So many questions. And so much time my COVID brain spends pondering them.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Vangie is actually a really common nickname for Evangeline. Until reading on here, I never once associated it with vaginas.

EAB272F4-F73F-4694-B7A5-D5FF8FE74218.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • Love 3

31 minutes ago, patsymae said:So did I miss any discussion of the People magazine (I think) spread on their FABULOUS house and FABULOUS stuff? How the hell do they pay for that?
and again, not sure what kind of message they are trying to send out. In LA that is just a nice but modest house. In fundieland, wouldn't that be seen as rubbing it in to people who can't afford such things--or are they supposed to admire it? There are far richer, far more famous fundies in LA, so not going to impress even those folks. Is it all just to give the finger to JB? Or does Jeremy still actually believe he will become a style icon? So many questions. And so much time my COVID brain spends pondering them.

The worst part is, their house is a pretty basic style. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to be snobby, it’s a nice house, but definitely not newsworthy.  And frankly, pretty generic.   I’m a huge design and architecture nerd, and their house earns a sold “meh, that’s nice”.  It could be any house on the block that’s been staged for a photo shoot.  I’m severely unimpressed.  

• Upvote 6

Aren’t they still in the free house owned by Jeremy’s seminary? They were originally only supposed to be there six months, I think, but then Covid extended their stay. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

4 hours ago, patsymae said:

So did I miss any discussion of the People magazine (I think) spread on their FABULOUS house and FABULOUS stuff? How the hell do they pay for that?

Are you talking about the one done by intouch? All the pictures in that one are just taken off their instagram, not a proper article and spread at all. I think they're still in the 'ministry house' provided by their church.

• Upvote 1

JinJer spent New Years at Lake Arrowhead with the son of the owner of their house. Jeremy was pictured with the owner himself when the paps caught him at church unmasked about 6 weeks ago.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

I feel that I should add that I don’t think people need to have architect designed homes to have good style.  But more so that Jinjers house seems to be completely devoid of personality.  Any house can be decorated with charm and personality, theirs just screams Pinterest and “I bought everything new to match”. It’s nice, but bland and boring.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I think the house was already generically furnished when they moved in.  It was supposedly for six months or so while they were theoretically going to continue looking for a place to live.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

I wonder if this is Jeremy’s last semester? If so, they’re probably not moving until after graduation at this point. I think he started the same time as Derrick and this is his last semester.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

I wonder if this is Jeremy’s last semester? If so, they’re probably not moving until after graduation at this point. I think he started the same time as Derrick and this is his last semester.

Is the program 2 or 3 years? I think this is his 2nd full year? Didn’t he start the Fall after GM Mary died? She died in June 2019.

• Upvote 4

It used to be a three year program and I read something the last few months that it was now four.  Going off to look.

Yep, Master of Divinity is now four years according to the website.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

It used to be a three year program and I read something the last few months that it was now four.  Going off to look.

Yep, Master of Divinity is now four years according to the website.

With that length of time I'd expect the students to become divine upon completion!

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 19

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Master of Divinity is now four years according to the website

Is it the name or a joke? (As a joke it's really funny, but if it's the real name... OMG)

• Upvote 1

I don’t see them moving before Jeremy has finished the course - they seem to have ingratiated themselves with the owner.

Once Jeremy is a master of divinity, then what? Being pastor of a church seems a bit too much like regular work.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I wonder what kind of electives are offered in the program... Surely there are one or two about being smarmy or else how to NOT appear smarmy.
   Developing Your Smarmy 101
   Harnessing Your Smarmy 121
   How to Out-Smarmy Your Smarmy Father-in-Law 201

Jeremy could pick up an easy minor in Smarmy. Heck, he could write the syllabus or be a Teacher's Asst... or would that be Divine Ass?

Edited by Bobology
Going downhill fast
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Is it the name or a joke? (As a joke it's really funny, but if it's the real name... OMG)

Not a joke, I too am a Master of Divinity..image.jpeg.b5cb9655db4b45bd1d4b312118b617ca.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 14

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jinjer 55: Picking Names Just to Sound Grand
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic