IGNORED

2020 Election Results Part 8: Lawsuits, Qualified Biden Nominees, and a Pouty Toddler

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

STOP THE COUNT!  Trump has a huge lead! Very suspicious if Biden gets a vote dump now. It's a quadrillion to one chance that Trump wins.

My first reaction was to check if it was my State Rep. I am becoming more and more motivated to emigrate. Can it be January 20th already?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I see New York has already voted so I guess it's too late to go looking for a livestream -- but IIRC one of their electors this year was Hillary Clinton.  I can only imagine a roomful of cheers when she gave her vote. 

• Upvote 14

Alabama Man trying to be Florida Man:

image.png.ee3313660ab1edf66c6215dba255e2cd.png

7 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I see New York has already voted so I guess it's too late to go looking for a livestream -- but IIRC one of their electors this year was Hillary Clinton.  I can only imagine a roomful of cheers when she gave her vote. 

image.png.bb75dc589bf4d5cdc5d650d40c8223fd.png

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

This year is the first time I have ever seen an electoral college vote mentioned  on Australian breakfast news. Normally everyone's completely unaware they exist. 2020, educating the far off masses in the strange ways of American democracy.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

Just now, Ozlsn said:

This year is the first time I have ever seen an electoral college vote mentioned  on Australian breakfast news. Normally everyone's completely unaware they exist. 2020, educating the far off masses in the strange ways of American democracy.

Educating the American masses too!

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 5

My husband was explaining the electoral college vote in detail to my sister, and it really just hit us how incredibly unwieldy this system is. 

People vote

Vote determines electors

States certify votes

Electors vote again

House and Senate certifies electors' votes

House/Senate has the chance to challenge the the vote

If one member of each object, then they all debate the objection and vote on the objection

If all is hunky dory - the congressional certification is Jan 6th

Then we finally get to the end of this fricking circus with inauguration on Jan. 20th

If the state certifies the vote, why in hell do the electors need to vote again? Faithless electors really aren't allowed anymore, so having them vote again is just a stupid waste of time.We could at least skip that step. I really didn't know all this stuff, because why would I have to. If nothing else, maybe all this chaos, and more people paying closer attention to the details may lead to some actual change in how we handle elections. Or not - but I can hope.

Edited by AnywhereButHere
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

We used to have electors in Finland too but got rid of them in favor of  the popular vote and if nobody gets over 50 % of the votes in the first round there's a second round of voting between the two top candidates.

• Upvote 17

24 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

23 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

Educating the American masses too!

This is the first time I recall it being so prominently featured in the US news as well, and I've been a voting adult since 1980.

Even during the 2000 Bush v Gore drama, when I'm sure it was mentioned as a part of the process, I don't recall it getting this kind of attention.  Of course, both of those candidates (as much as I favored one and not the other) were grown-ups.

• Upvote 13

2 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

My husband was explaining the electoral college vote in detail to my sister, and it really just hit us how incredibly unwieldy this system is. 

People vote

Vote determines electors

States certify votes

Electors vote again

House and Senate certifies electors' votes

House/Senate has the chance to challenge the the vote

If one member of each object, then they all debate the objection and vote on the objection

If all is hunky dory - the congressional certification is Jan 6th

Then we finally get to the end of this fricking circus with inauguration on Jan. 20th

If the state certifies the vote, why in hell do the electors need to vote again? Faithless electors really aren't allowed anymore, so having them vote again is just a stupid waste of time.We could at least skip that step.

It'd be quicker if it were "voters vote, result certified by states, winner declared by end Dec, moves in Jan 1st." Maybe with a run off if there's less than 5% margin or something. 

Even better if all states did the "primary" elections on one day, then 6 weeks later the winners from those run off in the main election... OK, 18 months of electioneering really gets to me. It's the 21st century, they don't need to travel on horseback or train to talk in every state to make sure voters have a chance to know what they stand for. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 12

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic