IGNORED

2020 Election Results Part 8: Lawsuits, Qualified Biden Nominees, and a Pouty Toddler

GreyhoundFan

7 hours ago, Howl said:

I just started reading Sarah Kendzior's Hiding in Plain Sight: The Invention of Donald Trump and the Erosion of America   She is a student of authoritarianism (her doctoral dissertation was about Uzbekistan) and called the election for Donald Trump while pollsters were still waxing poetic about how far Hillary is ahead in the polls.

Kendzior understands the confluence of social media, economics, the true middle of America, authoritarianism, oligarchs, mobligarchs, and transnational crime.  Her original work was done through an anthropology dept, which perhaps gives her broader view of human behavior than political scientists. 

Thanks for the info about her book.  I just downloaded it onto my Kindle and am looking forward to starting it.

They're now saying that Barr is considering leaving.  Maybe he's trying to quit before Trump fires him?  The rats continue to exit the sinking ship...

• Upvote 15

No big surprise:

image.png.bd910487415d6250fa42d02e297f1ebf.png

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Anyway I should add, for context, that while I don't believe any bit of this story, I do think it's possible that Trump might use some aspect of these claims as part of a basis for declaring martial law.  I don't expect it to happen but I wouldn't put anything past him.

I try not to get too pessimistic but seriously Trump et al are making it hard not to be. I keep hoping they're actually too incompetent to manage it, and/or a large number of Congress/Senate people basically recognise that this is a (large number of steps) too far and shut it down if possible.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

It still astonishes me that protesting outside an individual's home is not considered completely unacceptable. At their workplace? Fine. At their private home is basically harassment, and should be treated as such.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

At their private home is basically harassment, and should be treated as such.

FTFY.

standing in front of a private persons house armed and screaming obsceneties is not just basically an harassment, it is very much harassment and it should very much be punished. But then, I guess trump would say there are fine people on both sides, and it could be that the four year old also said bugger off, therefor he would also have to go to jail, if one would say that these people should be arrested or whatever..

It astonishes me what seems to be taken as 'normal' or just voicing your opinion in a free country.. Is it still a free country for the people living in this house? can the go outside their house without being harassed? If you cannot walk from your door to your mailbox or sit in your garden (well, if it weren't december right now) without being screamed and cursed at, it sure doesn't feel very liberating..

@Ozlsn ftr, please do not think my rant is aimed at you. I pretty much agree with everything besides basically.

Those people make me ragey

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

LOL! 

I seriously considered inking up a pen with one of Noodler's bulletproof inks and taking that to use on my ballot. ("“Bulletproof” refers to any Noodler’s Ink that resists all the known tools of a forger, UV light, UV light wands, bleaches, alcohols, solvents, petrochemicals, oven cleaners, carpet cleaners, carpet stain lifters, and of course…they are also waterproof once permitted to dry upon cellulose paper."). 

But instead I used the pen they had there for that purpose. They had them sanitized and poked into a sheet of styrofoam so you could pluck your own on the way in.

I can't believe how many people seem to be falling for all these debunked conspiracies. It's insane. I still hope that after 3 or so years of decency some of these people will deprogram a bit, but I'm afraid some may be lost for life.

• Upvote 11

@SeekingAdventure, this video answers your question about the Mike Flynn pardon so much better than I did. Glenn Kirschner is a former DC prosecutor with decades of experience. The video starts at the 5 minute point where he begins to talk about what judge Walton said in open court:

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

FTFY.

standing in front of a private persons house armed and screaming obsceneties is not just basically an harassment, it is very much harassment and it should very much be punished. But then, I guess trump would say there are fine people on both sides, and it could be that the four year old also said bugger off, therefor he would also have to go to jail, if one would say that these people should be arrested or whatever..

It astonishes me what seems to be taken as 'normal' or just voicing your opinion in a free country.. Is it still a free country for the people living in this house? can the go outside their house without being harassed? If you cannot walk from your door to your mailbox or sit in your garden (well, if it weren't december right now) without being screamed and cursed at, it sure doesn't feel very liberating..

@Ozlsn ftr, please do not think my rant is aimed at you. I pretty much agree with everything besides basically.

Those people make me ragey

I was thinking about this more last night. Places like the White House and Downing St are different because while they are residences they are also official government buildings (with a high level of security).  Places that are just private residences really should be off limits - and to be honest I thought that when the protesters in St Louis were heading to do that too (but then I got distracted by the massively OTT reaction of the couple pointing guns at them). 

Also my personal feeling is that if you bring openly displayed weapons to a protest then it ceases to be a protest and becomes a threat. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

They know the words, but they don't understand the meaning.

9 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Jesus could just have had Trump win to begin with.

• Upvote 13

Trump and Pence sue Biden and Harris so they'd set aside some votes in Wisconsin.

Apart from the gratuitous racism of disenfranchising people of color, Harris and Biden aren't in charge of the elections in Wisconsin. This is the stupidest game of whack-a-mole.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Ozlsn said:

I was thinking about this more last night. Places like the White House and Downing St are different because while they are residences they are also official government buildings (with a high level of security).  Places that are just private residences really should be off limits - and to be honest I thought that when the protesters in St Louis were heading to do that too (but then I got distracted by the massively OTT reaction of the couple pointing guns at them). 

I sort of agree, but not wholly.  What about protests that are not aimed at a particular residence but are just moving down a street where there happen to be residences?  That's what I believe happened in St. Louis -- no one was protesting against or at that couple, just a protest march happened to be moving down the street past their residence.  At least as I understood it?

I have mixed feelings about whether it should be legal to protest on public land (ie the street) or private land with owner permission, aimed AT a specific residence.  I agree it's not nice, but I think the right to free expression and peaceful dissent/protest might outweigh the prohibition against protest at a residence.   Open to consider this more though.

Trespassing in the process of protest should be prohibited no question.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I sort of agree, but not wholly.  What about protests that are not aimed at a particular residence but are just moving down a street where there happen to be residences?  That's what I believe happened in St. Louis -- no one was protesting against or at that couple, just a protest march happened to be moving down the street past their residence.  At least as I understood it?

I have mixed feelings about whether it should be legal to protest on public land (ie the street) or private land with owner permission, aimed AT a specific residence.  I agree it's not nice, but I think the right to free expression and peaceful dissent/protest might outweigh the prohibition against protest at a residence.   Open to consider this more though.

Trespassing in the process of protest should be prohibited no question.

I don't think it should be legal to protest at a targeted residence, although of course a moving protest walking through a residential neighborhood is fine.  

The implied threat and intimidation of "I know where you live" can't be removed and if it's a stationary protest even in the street that's going to be very intimidating for even neighbors, kids, not to mention the recipient.

(White house, governor's mansions, all publicly owned residences of politicians are fair game imo.)

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Spoiler

image.png.9580ef378140cb6b77369aed2e98948f.png

image.png.70d0b29a7474ff8801da850a25202b82.png

image.png.9ebee6f51ff8d266190ecd4a703868ee.png

image.png.3e8fac18b31dd63c7f1ebb4e270b5f5c.png

This is disgusting. I cannot imagine how painful it must be for this young man's family to lose him in a car crash and have people create a conspiracy theory about his death.  :shakehead2:

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 7
  • I Agree 1

FWIW, if I did not come across clearly, when I said it should be punished, I mean armed people showing up in front of a private house, like in the case of the state secretary (I think it was state secretary) where she lives with her young child. People showing up there, armed and screaming obsceneties are a far cry from peaceful protesters that march through the streets.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Didn't the protestors break through a gate first?  I'm not condoning what the St. Louis couple did but I can understand why they'd be upset.  The gate, AFAIC, pretty well implied that they didn't want to hear an uninvited group message.

I believe it's generally wrong to target a specific residence.  OTOH, when I've read the occasional report about a sexual predator getting to go home vs. to jail due to errant judging I find it hard to fault people for showing up to share their disdain.

• Upvote 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic