IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 16: In BetWeen

samurai_sarah

8 hours ago, thoughtful said:

I always say that, between my Mom being a Depression kid, my junior high science teacher getting us all revved up about recycling and ecology in the late 1960s, and our family having some economic struggles when I was a kid, we are both totally programmed to reuse every scrap of paper, and hate waste of all kinds.

I wish everyone had the habit, but I've known some who don't, I'm sad to say. The idea that our planet can be destroyed by our waste and pollution, and that we need to do something to prevent it, seems to have ebbed and flowed with the political climate in the US, over the years. And some people are just entitled idiots.

Depending upon how old they are, what their schools were like, whether they grew up poor or rich, how susceptible they are to marketing (and probably a lot of other factors I'm not thinking of), people really seem to vary when it comes to understanding that waste is bad.

:sad:

I don't think it was that he was doubting that "Spanish" people could be saved - he was preaching in a Spanish-speaking church, after all. I think he just couldn't connect "Southern Baptist" culturally, to Southwestern native and Latino people.

I think "Southern Baptist" is bad, in Gary's mind - not the same as "Bible-believin' church." He wants all people, of all backgrounds and ethnicities, to come to his way of believing.

I think Gary has that stupid, foot-in-mouth way of being bigoted. Anybody who believes as he does is great, in his mind, but he still stereotypes. Hence the clumsy but (he thinks) friendly references to food and other cultural things.

I don't remember hearing anything he's said to or about Black people - maybe he'd expect Becky to get a recipe for chitlins, or instruction in Gospel piano. I'm sure if he ever met a Jewish convert, he'd expect them to help him find bargains. :roll:

Gary got himself - er, Becky - a gift:

image.png.5aed475130a760fc9a9b5e368a022d55.png

This is, apparently, the same model that we have. I can't be absolutely certain, because, so far, I have managed to foist off the operation of our Instant Pot to my partner. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

Ok folks, I’ve only been skimmin the past few days but I want to wish y’all a safe and happy 

AEBC191A-D33A-4F01-AEA2-DF49A30DF3C8.jpeg

• Haha 22

I’m surprised he hasn’t mentioned it yet. Maybe he’s saving it for today’s morning service, to guilt folks into being in church tonight rather than watching the game?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I'm curious--what does Becky cook that she can prepare in an instant pot? I mean, my IP stays out on the counter because I use it so often for simple things, like steaming potatoes for just a few minutes before roasting them so they get all golden and crispy, hard boiled eggs, and of course dried beans and stocks. But the Haws eat weens in gravy and deep fried turkeys and whatever someone else is feeding them.

• Upvote 9

Folks, I need you. I need your comforting words.

Gary did not post about the supper bowel, and I am sad.

11 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I'm curious--what does Becky cook that she can prepare in an instant pot? I mean, my IP stays out on the counter because I use it so often for simple things, like steaming potatoes for just a few minutes before roasting them so they get all golden and crispy, hard boiled eggs, and of course dried beans and stocks. But the Haws eat weens in gravy and deep fried turkeys and whatever someone else is feeding them.

According to Gary and the people at the yearly camp meeting, Becky is a great cook. Whenever they are staying somewhere with a kitchen, she shops and cooks, as far as I can tell, usually from scratch, for the three of them.

I don't know if an Instant Pot would help with the goal of eating lighter (I am Instant Pot ignorant, and not much of a cook in general), but supposedly they have given up weens and gravy.

In the comments, she said she made black beans in it for the first use, and that she's used them before, at relatives' houses and at churches. So she must have some uses for it.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9

So I've been stalking daniel goodman and his wife for a while now since there daughter died. ( he allows followers). 

I kept reading to see if they're trump loving conspiracy news hell fire and brimstone wars might change after there daughters death. No.

He also posts a lot of the daughters bible and the quotes she has rewritten and highlighted.

As someone who has most of my life with mental health issues the things she has written seem cries to jesus for help.

I often wondered about how such devoted bible parents dealt with the issues she went through . Did they seek help from professionals? Was everything left up.to jesus to decide? 

I also wonder der in teens from these families how many deal with maybe conflicting thoughts as to they're sexual.orientation and what the bible says their orientation should be?

I feel very sad for her. Suicide is truly when theres no more lights at the end of a very long tunnel.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

@clese

Within fundamentalism, there is a whole (horrible) branch of "counseling" that is labelled "nouthetic counseling" which disdains all things psychiatric/even medical for "Bible only".  It dismisses the use of any and all meds for mental health (as well as all standard "secular" psychological practices).

I personally try to oppose it wherever I find it as a friend of mine went to one several years back; she was convinced that using her bipolar meds was evidence of her "lack of faith" and even continuing in sin and therefore the root cause of her problems.  She went off them cold turkey without going back to her doctor, and less than 48 hrs later committed suicide.

• Sad 18

Bro Gary has surfaced on Facebook again.  I was beginning to wonder if he'd finally gotten the Covid virus.

He posted this:

214069482_Screenshot(3268).png.5b94409bc813a54cf07a2edf47b5ef58.png

Typical of Gary, he couldn't quite get it right.  I actually have a magnet with the saying on it.  It says "Worry is like a rocking chair.  It will give you something to do but it won't get you anywhere."

I did rather enjoy the "where you where" part.

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

11 minutes ago, Xan said:

Bro Gary has surfaced on Facebook again.  I was beginning to wonder if he'd finally gotten the Covid virus.

He posted this:

Typical of Gary, he couldn't quite get it right.  I actually have a magnet with the saying on it.  It says "Worry is like a rocking chair.  It will give you something to do but it won't get you anywhere."

I don't know, it depends on how hard you rock and what kind of chair it is. A plain wooden rocking chair on carpet? You'll hit the wall at some point. 

This might be the best spelled (though still not quite correct) and least offensive thing he's ever posted!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 8

On 2/7/2021 at 1:04 AM, PumaLover said:

Ok folks, I’ve only been skimmin the past few days but I want to wish y’all a safe and happy 

AEBC191A-D33A-4F01-AEA2-DF49A30DF3C8.jpeg

I'm a bit late, but when I saw this on Facebook, I immediately thought of Bro Gary.

Spoiler

147353270_4091181400916732_6562911614897745123_o.thumb.jpg.cbb33089c0835e3eb36d819adde8b01e.jpg

I much prefer a Superb Owl to a supper bowel! :pb_lol:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
punctuation!!!1!1!!1!!
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, Xan said:

He posted this:

Mad respect for misspelling "sit".

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

Oh, Gary's alive. Nice to know.

19 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Mad respect for misspelling "sit".

That ain't a misspelling, that's, as Gary describes his language, "hillbilly." Only evil northerners sit - Gary sets.

And you know what they say - wherever you go, there you where.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Oh, Gary's alive. Nice to know.

That ain't a misspelling, that's, as Gary describes his language, "hillbilly." Only evil northerners sit - Gary sets.

And you know what they say - wherever you go, there you where.

He sets on the settee no doubt.

As much as Gary disgusts me, some of his regionalisms bring me fond memories of my grandparents. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Imma go watch the sun set.

Here is the sun, setting in a rocking chair, with its friend, the moon.

image.png.779df8b0958e85ed028644e5f909f82e.png

• Upvote 3
  • Love 10

8 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

The bee clearly feels like a third wheel.

The bee is a voyeur, in the corner, like Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Also, if any of them start worrying about those clouds, they are clearly sinning. As Gary often tells us, worrying is a sin.

Being concerned, however, is not.

Take your choice of images:

Spoiler

image.png.fbacadd2cc181e7b77fc7908df70d544.pngimage.png.fa930cd4963c1c39316e2665b67b7d45.png

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

The rocking chair would be a suitable throne for Gary to set on because he'd have both the sun and the moon kissing his ass.

• Haha 13

Oooh, Gary got such a romantic Valentine's Day gift. Gary, if you want this one to last, don't brake on it, or drive on it at all!

image.png.7585de8a8ff0d58dcae9117d6dc5be15.png

Edited by thoughtful
pic didn't show up the first time
  • Haha 8
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Oooh, Gary got such a romantic Valentine's Day gift. Gary, if you want this one to last, don't brake on it, or drive on it at all!

image.png.7585de8a8ff0d58dcae9117d6dc5be15.png

Its impressive that the "braked in" bible lasted 8 years. Thats disrespectful to the scripture, Bro.

• Upvote 7

I’m surprised he didn’t invoke “The Bible that is falling apart is usually owned by someone who isn’t”(which was on a poster at my old fundie-lite church).

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

image.png.308c22f3c54fd5f45ca91793055179d6.png

Looks like Gary preached both Sunday School and Sunday morning at Mt. Powell Bible Baptist Church in Thoreau, NM.

The first video starts with Gary saying something about praying for their pastor because he's out helping to clear the roads.

Snow and Thoreau in New Mexico - you might as well be in New England, Gary!

He announces "Fizzins chapter 5," then wishes them a happy Valentine's Day.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ephesians+5%3A22-33&version=KJV

You'd think he'd have this one almost memorized at this point, but he stumbles through it.

Most that follows is the usual crap, but I did get one mystery solved. Many sermons - er, messages - ago, I thought I heard Gary say he should be frying in Hell, like a sausage, with his bathrobe. None of us could figure that out.

But today, he said it more clearly - it's "ah should be in Hell, fryin' like a piece o' sausage with mah back broke!"

Well, that makes more sense. Gory disgusting sense, but sense.

Insert your own Brokeback Mountain sausage joke.

He tells them about his new bible, and sure enough, @smittykins, he does the bit about the bible that is falling apart being owned by the person who isn't.

He says he always spends more on his wife for Valentine's Day than she does on him. Someone (doesn't sound like Becky) says something about flat tires getting pretty expensive.

There are a lot of chatty little children's voices and other noises, and I think it is distracting Gary. He seems to be having even more of a hard time than usual staying with any one thought.

He says he was somewhere, and someone from NAPA brought him his van (I don't know if that was back when the tires were replaced, or something more recent - Gary is never good at making these things clear). He invited them to come to church, and "mah boy says, 'Daddy, they're not supposed to be havin' church, ___ ('and' or 'don't' - can't tell) you be invitin' them.'"

I'm surprised that his son (I'm guessing it was Jacob, but, depending on when and where this was, it might have been Caleb - have I mentioned that Gary is never clear about . . . anything?) would say that, after all of the indoctrination about coming to church no matter what. Maybe he has a teeny bit of common sense about not encouraging other people to do something they shouldn't, if not about Covid.

More likely he was afraid the NAPA guys would turn them in to somebody. Kid, your father broadcasts the service on Facebook - it's not like he's hiding it.

Later Gary says something about putting a flat tire on the church van, so maybe that's the van he was driving. :confusion-shrug: Sounds like it was the source of the joke about paying for tires as a Valentine's Day gift.

Gary says he knows someone who has just gone to Africa, so I guess the Screaming Bryants have embarked. He tells a story about them having needed a new vehicle (not sure if this was in the US or Africa, because . . . well, you know), and posting a prayer request somewhere about a a particular van he wanted to buy. Gary makes it clear that "all he wanted them to do" was pray, but somehow he got every dime he needed in just a few hours.

Gosh, what a surprise. :roll:

• Thank You 14

12 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

...and posting a prayer request somewhere about a a particular van he wanted to buy. Gary makes it clear that "all he wanted them to do" was pray, but somehow he got every dime he needed in just a few hours.

Gosh, what a surprise. :roll:

Ah! The John Shrader school of fundraising!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

Bro Gary would have been a good model for Gary Larsen as one of the dumb humans in The Far Side.  I imagine cats, dogs, cows and bears outsmarting him and plotting to kill him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

• samurai_sarah locked this topic