IGNORED

2020 Election Results Part 7: Biden Starts Working While Trump Tries To Blow Up The World

GreyhoundFan

12 minutes ago, Howl said:

Not sure of the status of those currently; lawyers in the other cases have basically been laughed out of court or forced by the judge to admit they have no case, i.e., were bringing no evidence of wrongdoing or voter fraud to the court.  One judge had to school the lawyer on the difference between first-hand evidence and hearsay. 

Par for the course for fuck face.  Like I said before he wanted judges confirmed who didn't know their legal asses from holes in the ground.  And he's being represented by lawyers who are pretty much the same.  I hope these idiot lawyers get sanctioned for wasting the court's time.  Even better would be if they have to pay the Biden campaign and/or the American people for tying up the legal system with this sort of bullshit.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

North Carolina hasn't even started counting mail in or provisional ballots yet, they couldn't start until today.

As of right now Trump has 50% and Biden 48.7% of NC.  Is it possible for NC to go blue with the mail ins?  No one is talking about it but Idk if it's because it's not possible or it won't matter anyway.  But as a political story it would be worth mentioning, I'd think

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

North Carolina hasn't even started counting mail in or provisional ballots yet, they couldn't start until today.

I thought they counted as they came in, but accepted them until yesterday? I know the NY Times called the Senate Race, so I thought they had the majority of ballots counted. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

1 minute ago, Maggie Mae said:

I thought they counted as they came in, but accepted them until yesterday? I know the NY Times called the Senate Race, so I thought they had the majority of ballots counted. 

I could have read it wrong, highly likely.  Thanks.

DC area peeps, be prepared for a MAGAt infestation this weekend: "Far-right protesters, counterdemonstrators plan to gather Saturday in D.C. amid pro-Trump rallies"

Demonstrations in support of President Trump’s refusal to accept the results of the presidential election will descend on downtown Washington this weekend.

The events have been promoted by far-right media personalities, white nationalists and conspiracy theorists — several of whom announced plans to attend. Counterdemonstrations organized by anti-fascist and anti-racism groups are being planned nearby.

The rallies, which include a Women for Trump event, a “Million MAGA March” and a “Stop the Steal” demonstration — which falsely asserts that voter fraud cost Trump the election — will begin Saturday morning in and around Freedom Plaza.

The pro-Trump rallies have garnered support from Fox News host Sean Hannity as well as more fringe figures, including Enrique Tarrio, chairman of the Proud Boys; self-described “American Nationalist” and social media agitator Nicholas Fuentes; conservative provocateur Jack Posobiec, who promoted the “Pizzagate” conspiracy theory tied to the 2016 shooting at D.C. pizzeria Comet Ping Pong; Scott Presler, a pro-Trump activist who works with anti-Muslim group ACT for America; and Infowars founder and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

Jones has said he is leading a “Stop the Steal” caravan from Texas that is expected to arrive Friday night in the nation’s capital.

Trump campaign adviser Jason Miller responded to a tweet Thursday in support of the rally, saying, “Love the outpouring of support for @realDonaldTrump!”

A handful of anti-Trump rallies have also been announced, including one near Union Station organized by local activists and a protest involving Refuse Fascism D.C., which has said it intends to stand against “the Trump regime's attempts to steal the election.”

Neither D.C. police nor the National Park Service have issued permits for the demonstrations, although the Park Service is processing a permit application from Women for America First, a pro-Trump group that has advertised “Stop the Steal” rallies on its social media pages. It estimated in a permit application that about 50 people would attend its event.

The Park Service regularly works with groups that do not obtain permits before an event to register for one on-site and, if necessary, to move to a safer location. It was not clear whether the Park Police or Park Service had plans to approach demonstrators Saturday.

D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) said city officials have been monitoring social media chatter around the planned events.

“We continue to follow those activities and be prepared,” Bowser said at a news conference this week. “Our police chief will have a similar posture this weekend as he did last week. We will be there to support peaceful First Amendment demonstrations.”

Bowser warned out-of-town visitors against bringing firearms to the city, noting D.C. has more strict firearm laws than other parts of the country. Gun owners are allowed to carry a concealed weapon with the proper license but carrying a gun openly is prohibited. It is also illegal to possess a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

D.C. police announced road closures and parking restrictions throughout downtown.

Beginning 6 a.m. Saturday, Constitution Avenue will be closed between 18th Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue NW. On the other side of the Mall, Independence Avenue will be closed from 14th Street to Ohio Avenue SW. Several main thoroughfares, including New York Avenue and G, H, I and K streets, will be shut down from 9th Street NW to 18th Street NW.

D.C. police were put on high alert last week with fears of unrest and violent protests that many cities expected could follow Election Day. Although those fears didn’t materialize, many downtown D.C. businesses remained boarded up through the weekend — and the raucous celebrations that followed Biden’s victory.

The mayor said she is still urging businesses to remove the boards, even with the Saturday rallies in mind.

Local activists are taking precautions as they prepare for Saturday, including efforts to safeguard the living monument at Black Lives Matter Plaza that has grown on and around the tall chain-link fence encircling Lafayette Square.

Last month, a group of Trump supporters in D.C. for Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett’s confirmation hearings tore down a number of the signs. Activists rebuilt the memorial the next day, and several have been standing guard since.

Past protests in Washington that have featured white nationalists and far-right provocateurs have been dwarfed by counterdemonstrators.

A year after the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville turned deadly when a car plowed into a crowd of counterprotesters, a small handful of white supremacists came to D.C. for the “Unite the Right 2” rally. Organizers had hoped hundreds would join them, but about three dozen attended. They were drowned out by crowds of counterprotesters, who chanted and danced in the street.

Last year, hundreds of D.C. police officers kept far-right agitators, including members of the Proud Boys, and left-wing anti-fascist protesters clad in black from clashing during dueling rallies at Freedom Plaza and nearby Pershing Park. Though the groups interacted at times during the July 2019 demonstration, the protests did not turn violent. The crowd of counterprotesters far outnumbered the right-wing demonstrators.

Christopher Rodriguez, D.C.’s director of homeland security and emergency management, said in a news conference Thursday that officials are expecting a relatively small turnout at Saturday’s rally spread out among about a dozen groups.

• WTF 5
  • Thank You 4

Putting this here for two reasons:

1. Interesting but infuriating. From my very limited understanding.

Which brings me to:

2. I don’t understand it and am hoping someone might explain ?. Is it because it’s 5am? Or is it because once again Electoral College stuff is really confusing for me? 

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/how-donald-trump-could-hijack-the-election-results-through-the-electoral-college/news-story/753f0229a31faab307212a8f6d53eba8

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, adidas said:

Putting this here for two reasons:

1. Interesting but infuriating. From my very limited understanding.

Which brings me to:

2. I don’t understand it and am hoping someone might explain ?. Is it because it’s 5am? Or is it because once again Electoral College stuff is really confusing for me? 

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/how-donald-trump-could-hijack-the-election-results-through-the-electoral-college/news-story/753f0229a31faab307212a8f6d53eba8

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/the-electoral-college.aspx

This is a good page for the TLDR version of the EC.

How it is supposed to work is winner take all in all states and DC, with the exceptions of Maine and Nebraska which split their electors by district.  So everyone else is supposed to vote for the candidate who won the popular vote.  Electors are chosen by which party won, i.e. the electors in FL will all vote Trump and in PA all vote Biden, etc.

There are "faithless electors":

In 2016, there were seven faithless electors, the most since 1972—three Democratic electors from Washington state cast their votes for Republican Colin Powell, instead of Democrat Hillary Clinton; one Democratic elector from Washington state cast his vote for Faith Spotted Eagle, a woman who is a member of the Yankton Sioux Nation; one Democratic elector from Hawaii cast his vote for Bernie Sanders, instead of Hillary Clinton; one Republican elector from Texas cast his vote for John Kasich, instead of Donald Trump; and one Republican elector from Texas cast his vote for Libertarian Ron Paul. The last time an elector crossed party lines was in 1972, when an elector nominated by the Republican Party cast his ballot for the Libertarian ticket.

Some states have passed laws that require their electors to vote as pledged. These laws may either impose a fine on an elector who fails to vote according to the statewide or district popular vote, or may disqualify an elector who violates his or her pledge and provide a replacement elector. In July 2020, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that it is constitutional for states to enact this type of law. The states with laws that attempt to bind the votes of presidential electors are below:

Above from the link.

If Biden comes in at 306 as predicted then 37 electors would have to go rouge and seeing how the seven from 2016 was the most since 1972 that's highly unlikely.  But it is why Trump is reported to be talking with his aides about getting the Republican run states to have the governors appoint electors from their own party.  The legality depends on the state in question (and yes, along with other things this absolutely needs to be standardized at the federal level.)

So in theory could he possibly somewhat legally win the EC vote if republican run states completely disregarded tradition and intent of their people in what would be a coup?  Possibly, I don't know the laws of individual states.  Would that be an absolute dictator move that would scare the heck out of everyone but his most hardcore supporters?  Yep, and this country would blow the fuck up if this happened.

So much of our government seems to have been people in power at least respecting the normal conventions of how we do things, rather than having everything codified into law.  It takes electing a guy which no respect for conventional norms to show us the holes in our system.

It's like the "can't prosecute a sitting president"  memo.  That's a memo and convention, not law, I write memos all the time but if I expect people to follow my directives I create a policy or procedure and make it mandatory.  How the hell can I be better at this than they are?  

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 11

Electoral College - 

Each state gets the number of electors equal to the number of state representatives + 2 senators. My state only has one rep, so we have three electoral college votes. The Voters are chosen by the political party that wins the state (except in Maine and Nebraska.) So 538 people go to their own state capital to cast the votes on December 14. My state is currently at 52% for Trump, so the Republican Party will choose three people to cast votes for Donald Trump. In 2016, 

The Constitution, under Article II, Section 1,  supposedly can be interpreted to say that electors may vote how they wish. Well, I guess the "interpretation" is that it doesn't specifically say anything about it either way. 

Anyway, 31 states and DC have laws against what we call "faithless electors" and the Supreme Court has supported these laws that bind the electoral votes to the popular vote.  They removed an elector in my State who planned to vote for Ted Cruz before he could join the list of the "Faithless Electors of 2016" (Which was, in fact, a record year for Faithless Electors.) 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

Two more officials forced to resign yesterday, this time from Homeland Security

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/politics/dhs-officials-forced-resign-white-house/index.html

Krebs (CISA Director) is on record of expecting to be fired soon due to the report they just issued stating the election was secure.

If I read one more comment somewhere where people are calling this his tantrum as if ending high level long term careers is okay as long as it's done out of spite I'm going to head desk.

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I cannot wait for that fucker's account to be permanently banned from twitter.  Along with those of his demon spawn - in particular Uday and Qusay.  (And for the day I can unblock accounts like POTUS, FLOTUS, VP, and other official accounts on Twitter after they're turned over to the Biden administration).

I've heard Uday and Qusay referred to as eBay and OhBoy.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Two more officials forced to resign yesterday, this time from Homeland Security

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/politics/dhs-officials-forced-resign-white-house/index.html

Krebs (CISA Director) is on record of expecting to be fired soon due to the report they just issued stating the election was secure.

If I read one more comment somewhere where people are calling this his tantrum as if ending high level long term careers is okay as long as it's done out of spite I'm going to head desk.

True, and dollars to donuts it’s the “it is what it is and Trump’s right to do so “ crowd who would scream the loudest if they were on the losing end of one of Trump’s spiteful decisions.

AND GA and NC are called. NC for DT and GA for BIden. Pretty good show for Biden this election!

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, Howl said:

I "friended" the parents of a facebook friend; they seemed fairly innocuous. However, the mom posted this weird laudatory paragraph about Trumps wonderfulness,  the hardest working president in the history of the country, the fabulous things he's done, yada yada. 

I have seen that on some FB friend's pages.... and I always want to say, hardly working. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Does Melania realize she just conceded? :mouse-shock:

It's not Melania's site.

• Sad 2
  • Thank You 1

So riddle me this Batman. In terms of Trump running in 2024, would the GOP endorse this, and if so, why? He just got his ass handed to him, no matter the number of people who voted for him. He lost in every way possible.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

So riddle me this Batman. In terms of Trump running in 2024, would the GOP endorse this, and if so, why? He just got his ass handed to him, no matter the number of people who voted for him. He lost in every way possible.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he did. Whether he gets past the primaries is an open question, but he did get over 70 million votes for reelection. IMHO, we take the idea of him not being a continued threat at our peril. It may not be him specifically, but, his ideas and evil are not gone.

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 13

16 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he did. Whether he gets past the primaries is an open question, but he did get over 70 million votes for reelection. IMHO, we take the idea of him not being a continued threat at our peril. It may not be him specifically, but, his ideas and evil are not gone.

The question would be - who can step up and unite the GOP? Who in the GOP can take on a leadership role and position themselves for a run in 2024? 

Trump - proven fundraiser, has a very loud (and obnoxious) base. Name recognition. People have followed his agenda already. Downsides: state charges, impeachment, lost as an incumbent. 

Ted Cruz - Might be the Zodiac Killer. Might be a robot. Name recognition, was runner up in the 2016 Republican Primaries. Still says stuff that the media repeats. 

Trump Jr - Name recognition, no experience, apparently the Trump user base likes the idea of completely incompetent leaders, would just do what his dad says to do, but young enough to appeal to gen x and millennial conservatives, but old enough to not scare off the boomers. Downsides: he's Trump Jr and his face and everything about him 

Some other Conservative White Male Politician who's run before: name recognition is iffy, not Trump, could unite the party, but won't have the branding of Trump. 

Ivanka? PLEASE GOD NO

Sarah Palin: too drunk 

What other women are in the Republican Party? Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins are "too liberal" for the modern GOP, plus most people don't want to leave the Senate, Ann Coulter? Dr Laura? 

• Upvote 10

Kasich was in it longer than Cruz, wasn’t he? I know that was likely a ploy, but I’d have voted for him over Clinton-

Although he did support Biden and has likely not earned him any kudos from the party.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Trump - proven fundraiser, has a very loud (and obnoxious) base. Name recognition. People have followed his agenda already. Downsides: state charges, impeachment, lost as an incumbent. 

The reason that I question him running again is simply because he's 74 and it's obvious from looking at him and watching him move that he's not a spring chicken. I think there's a reasonable chance that he isn't even ALIVE to run again in four years. 

For the record, I don't think Biden will run again either, because he will be in his 80s. Even though he's by all appearances in reasonably good health, 80 is a hard age to be hitting the campaign trail. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 9

Just now, SassyPants said:

Kasich was in it longer than Cruz, wasn’t he? I know that was likely a ploy, but I’d have voted for him over Clinton-

Although he did support Biden and has likely not earned him any kudos from the party.

i voted for Kasich in the primary and I normally vote blue. I still like him. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

The question would be - who can step up and unite the GOP? Who in the GOP can take on a leadership role and position themselves for a run in 2024? 

Ted Cruz - Might be the Zodiac Killer. Might be a robot. Name recognition, was runner up in the 2016 Republican Primaries. Still says stuff that the media repeats. 

Trump Jr - Name recognition, no experience, apparently the Trump user base likes the idea of completely incompetent leaders, would just do what his dad says to do, but young enough to appeal to gen x and millennial conservatives, but old enough to not scare off the boomers. Downsides: he's Trump Jr and his face and everything about him 

Some other Conservative White Male Politician who's run before: name recognition is iffy, not Trump, could unite the party, but won't have the branding of Trump. 

Ivanka? PLEASE GOD NO

Sarah Palin: too drunk 

What other women are in the Republican Party? Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins are "too liberal" for the modern GOP, plus most people don't want to leave the Senate, Ann Coulter? Dr Laura? 

A ticket of Laura Ingram and Sean Hannity

ETA: Seriously though I thinking Larry Hogan will try for it. For being a blue state, he is quite popular winning re-election in 2018. 

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Disgust 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic