IGNORED

2020 Election Results Part 7: Biden Starts Working While Trump Tries To Blow Up The World

GreyhoundFan

Continued from here:

So Biden has won, but Trump and his crazed followers can't accept it. Who's the snowflake now?

Continued discussion of the election returns, reactions, and transition to a future with a real government.

From the WaPo Editorial Board: "As Republicans cower from the truth, Joe Biden displays decency"

IF ANYONE deserves to be frustrated, it is President-elect Joe Biden. If he had beaten a mature adult, Mr. Biden would long ago have been congratulated by members of both parties on his unquestionable victory. His legitimacy would be widely recognized, and the way would be open for him to begin his presidential transition. Instead, President Trump continues to insist that the election was rigged, and polling indicates many of his supporters believe him.

Yet instead of expressing his frustration, Mr. Biden this week has promoted calm. At a Tuesday news conference, he reached out to Trump voters, insisting that they, too, want to unite the country. He expressed hope that he would soon speak with President Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), and he declined to condemn Mr. McConnell for holding out on recognizing the results of the election. He underlined the urgency of Democratic and Republican lawmakers working together to pass an economic rescue package as covid-19 spikes. And he reiterated that he will be able to work with Republicans after he is sworn in. At times, he stopped to calibrate his words, explaining he wanted to keep his statements “tactful.”

Mr. Biden also confirmed this week that he intends to staff his administration with capable people who care about the federal government’s various missions. His coronavirus task force, revealed Monday, is packed with prominent public health experts. On Tuesday, he released an impressive list of some 500 transition advisers. The group brings deep substantive knowledge and experience — in some cases, decades of it — working with the agencies on which they will counsel the president-elect. Importantly, it is quite diverse. In short, Mr. Biden’s behavior should remind Americans of what competent, dignified leadership looks like.

Republicans, on the other hand, continue to show why this is so sorely needed. Sen. Christopher A. Coons (D-Del.) said Tuesday that some GOP colleagues have asked him to convey their best wishes to Mr. Biden, secretly. How about publicly?

The problem is not merely shameless opportunists, such as Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), who have actively embraced the lie that there was massive fraud. It is also those Republicans who have tried to have it both ways, such as Mr. McConnell or Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.), who in a Tuesday video defended Republicans’ hesitation to recognize Mr. Biden’s win, saying that Mr. Trump should have the chance to prove in court his allegations of widespread irregularities. This would promote rather than undermine faith in the results, he argued. That is unlikely. Because of the spineless reticence of Mr. Rubio and others, Mr. Trump will get more time and space to entrench the notion that the election was rigged against him, and a few court rulings will not change that impression.

Many Republicans are seeking a third way between denying the legitimate result of a fair election and incurring a backlash from Mr. Trump or his base for failing to do so. They are fooling themselves. The president will continue bullying them after the courts reject the notion that the election was stolen — indeed, as long as they allow him to push them around.

• Upvote 11
  • Angry 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AmazonGrace

• HerNameIsBuffy

• fraurosena

• GreyhoundFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Show of hands, who is surprised? What? No one?  

That would be Barron.

Posted Images

GreyhoundFan

Yeah, this isn't the first time the Rs have been stupid about losing an election: "Of course Republicans are doing this. It’s who they are."

No. Not this time. Not again.

We knew that President Trump had no respect for democracy or the Constitution. So we’re not surprised that he’s lying, and lying, and lying again to claim he prevailed in the election that President-elect Joe Biden won decisively, fair and square.

What we did not know for certain was whether the Republican Party would once again bow before Trump’s corruption and his indifference to the fate of our republican institutions.

Well, the GOP has turned out to be as despicably ready to validate Trump’s falsehoods and authoritarian behavior as its worst critics feared. With precious few exceptions, Republican leaders are quite happy to be complicit in Trump’s subversion.

Some innocent souls still want to see the GOP as a normal party ready to work with Biden to solve the nation’s problems.

Sorry, but that party disappeared long ago, and we should not, in retrospect, have expected anything else. After all, this is not the first time that Republicans moved immediately to discredit a Democrat who won the presidency. It’s not even the second time. The practice of hamstringing a new Democratic president by suggesting that his victory wasn’t genuine goes all the way back to Bill Clinton.

Recall that in 1992, Clinton won an overwhelming 370-to-168 electoral college majority over then-President George H.W. Bush. Clinton beat Bush in the popular vote by 5.8 million. But the businessman Ross Perot ran a serious campaign as an independent and won 18.9 percent of the popular vote. As a result, Clinton’s share was 43 percent.

That was all the Republicans needed to assert that even though Clinton won, he was actually a loser. Then-Republican Senate leader Bob Dole declared the day after the election that Clinton had no “mandate” because “57 percent of the Americans who voted in the presidential election voted against Bill Clinton.”

Dole added: “I intend to represent that majority on the floor of the U.S. Senate.” Presto: A drubbing becomes a triumph.

To this day, many Republicans believe, because they have said it so often, that Perot was the reason Bush lost. But the data showed conclusively that this was not true.

The Voter Research & Surveys exit poll that year found that 38 percent of Perot voters listed Clinton as their second choice, and 38 percent listed Bush. The rest said they wouldn’t have voted if Perot hadn’t run.

Thus, a reallocation of Perot’s second choices showed that even if Perot hadn’t run, Clinton would have led Bush by roughly the same popular vote margin. And, at most, only Ohio would have flipped to Bush, leaving Clinton with a still-robust 349 electoral vote haul.

But the truth never caught up with reality. Clinton was hobbled right out of the gate.

In 2008, Barack Obama defeated John McCain by such an overwhelming margin (9.5 million popular votes, 365 to 173 in the electoral college) that even the most creative Republicans couldn’t spin that outcome into a defeat. But along came “birtherism,” the false charge (touted most notably by a guy named Trump) that Obama was ineligible to be president because he had not been born in the United States.

We forget how powerful a hold birtherism had on Republicans and how long it has hung around. The lie was ridiculous, outrageous and racist all at once. Obama kept hoping that the claim’s self-evident absurdity would discredit it. When that didn’t happen, he finally — more than two years after he was inaugurated — released his long-form birth certificate proving he had been born in Hawaii.

Even then, Trump wouldn’t give it up. For example, he tweeted on Aug. 6, 2012: “An extremely credible source has called my office and told me that @Barack-Obama’s birth certificate is a fraud.”

This is the man Republicans are backing up as he makes equally ludicrous claims about our election. They are doing it to make sure Trump voters in Georgia turn out for two Republican senators in a January runoff election. They are doing it because they fear Trump. But they are also doing it to weaken Biden and make it harder for him to govern.

And notice how Republicans have escalated their level of irresponsibility over the years. They started with a phony election analysis in 1992; by 2008, they were allowing a wild lie to poison the consciousness of their base. Now, they are willing to do something even worse. As Daniel Ziblatt, co-author of “How Democracies Die,” said in an interview, the GOP could “damage the legitimacy not just of Biden but of our democracy as a whole.”

Biden keeps telling us: “We are not enemies. We are Americans.”

That’s decent and honorable. But enemies or not, the Republican Party’s leaders are behaving like a nest of vipers. Be wary, Mr. President-elect.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
GreyhoundFan

Yeah, Kennedy, you have me convinced.. /s

• Upvote 13
GreyhoundFan

Yes, they (the Rs) are making this stuff up.

• Upvote 11

At least some GOP Senators are showing some slight signs of sanity.  Lankford of Oklahoma says he will step in if the Trump admin. continues to withhold intel. from Biden.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/12/gop-sen-lankford-says-biden-should-start-receiving-intel-briefings/6262263002/

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1
GreyhoundFan

Another law firm has abandoned Twitler:

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1
Nothing if not critical

I really don't know what to think any more. I do try not to worry too much, but then there's stuff like this Guardian article:  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/12/trump-election-concede-republicans-democrats?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other — and I feel another panic attack coming on...

It's my usual problem with Trump and his cronies - with every single step they take, it's hard to say whether there's an evil mastermind at work or whether they're just chaotically muddling through. And I'm not even sure it's going to make a difference in the end. I'm still scared.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7
fraurosena
59 minutes ago, kpmom said:

At least some GOP Senators are showing some slight signs of sanity.  Lankford of Oklahoma says he will step in if the Trump admin. continues to withhold intel. from Biden.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/12/gop-sen-lankford-says-biden-should-start-receiving-intel-briefings/6262263002/

How much clout does Langford actually  have? I don’t think they’ll listen to him just because he’s asking nicely... so what are the repercussions he could enact when Trump refuses to cooperate?

• Upvote 5
HerNameIsBuffy
8 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

It's my usual problem with Trump and his cronies - with every single step they take, it's hard to say whether there's an evil mastermind at work or whether they're just chaotically muddling through.

Agreed.  Fwiw I think it's both.  I do think there is someone far smarter than Trump orchestrating evil behind the scenes and I also think Trump can't be completely controlled by them so there is chaotic muddling as well.

From other articles this am I've read how emotionally fragile he is right now.  Paraphrasing a comment from elsewhere this morning, good thing we didn't elect a woman since everyone was so worried she'd be too emotional to lead.  

Just now, fraurosena said:

How much clout does Langford actually  have? I don’t think they’ll listen to him just because he’s asking nicely... so what are the repercussions he could enact when Trump refuses to cooperate?

None and nothing to my knowledge.  But in calling it out publicly he may give others the courage to do the same.  So if he has power it's the soft kind which could peer pressure some of his colleagues.

TBH the republicans calling for him to concede are raising themselves a bit in my estimation because I assume it means Trump/Putin et al don't have career ending dirt on them.  It's a very low bar, but I think those clinging most tightly to the crazy have some scary skeletons in their closet.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7
HerNameIsBuffy

This is nothing but pure speculation that just popped into my head, but could Pompeo be traveling to those countries to see if any would be amenable to Trump fleeing there?

Trump himself has said he will leave the country if he lost.

I know he could refuse secret service protection if he chose, but even former presidents get security briefings for life as I understand it (less detailed than the sitting president, of course, but still highly confidential.)  Joe Biden is the first president to have to worry about his predecessor giving out secrets. 

There had better be a loophole around this so they don't give him any intel afterwards.  Being deep in unpayable debt is one of the main reasons people are denied security clearances, because it makes them desperate and vulnerable.  They should run a security clearance on him once he's a citizen, he fails, no briefings.  

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1
fraurosena

And now we know for certain that the repugs tampered with voting machines...

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 8
HerNameIsBuffy
12 hours ago, Smee said:

No, it means the 3% who believe Trump won are living in an alternate reality. The remaining 18% are likely just not watching the news very much or at least not following it closely and hear phrases like “recount”, “lawsuit in Pennsylvania”, “too close to call”, “Georgia runoff” etc and are confused about what it all means. They probably think that not calling Georgia & Arizona means the result isn’t known yet, or at least THEY don’t know what the result is and what’s happening. The ignorance is sad, but it’s not as terrifying as the 3% in complete denial. It’s also worth re-stating that almost 80% said Biden won but Biden definitely did not win by 80% of the vote - people who did not vote for your guy will stand by democracy.

I know I’ve been saying for months that I thought regardless of how the election would go, America seemed incredibly divided and possibly headed for civil war.  And I agree that there’s some really concerning things happening that people should be aware of. But I also think perhaps fear causes more harm than good right now, and it’s best to seek out news and communities that will keep you informed and alert but not afraid. Plenty of people in here have talked about the crazy things Republicans and Trumpers (the two are not always synonyms) fear that motivate them to vote for Trump, communism and mandatory vaccines and whatnot. Those things are baseless leaps of logic but I imagine every time Biden mentions Covid they have a fear response, and some of his actual statements are things they strongly disagree with and see as a slippery slope (e.g. lockdowns). Likewise I think it’s totally warranted to distrust these sycophants being placed in strategic places, but maybe we should do less speculating about what they’re planning? I don’t know, I’m not there and I don’t want to sound like it’ll all be fine when it might not. But I think purely from a mental health perspective the talk about what “could” happen is less helpful. For my part, I apologise for using terms like “civil war” so freely instead of sticking to facts. In a practical sense, I’d be buying a months supply of non-perishable food but thanks to covid most of you have probably done that anyway. 

To the bolded (bolding mine) I do understand your sentiment and keep reality checking myself to make sure I'm not overreacting.  Panic isn't helpful, but I don't see how fear can be avoided right not if people are paying attention.

The thing that scared me the most yesterday was the Axios article quoting the general just tapped to be top SOD advisor saying extremely dangerous and hateful things.  I wasn't afraid because of a community or comments, the facts themselves scare the hell out of me atm.  

I think posting about it in a community is a healthy way to deal with fear.  I can't talk about this at work and there is something surreal in checking the news and seeing such alarming things taking place and real life keeps on as usual.  Someone replacing the paper in the copier, software upgrades, SQL server trying to kill me...it's just Kafkaesque in a very real sense for a lot of us right now.  I'm not saying we shouldn't live life as normal, we all have things to do, but having a community where others share the same troubling concerns.  It's both a comfort to feel validated, but also as a very real reminder that we're not alone in this.

I think there is danger in people refusing to be afraid of situations where there is legitimate danger to fear.  That's what keeps people in dangerous situations way too long.

9 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Almost a million votes deleted my ass.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 6
mamallama
8 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

I've become more and more convinced that Republicans/Russia have tampered with voting machines.  For one we know that they've been accessed.  And we've had two major elections where the votes lean farther right than the polls predicted.  Also Trumps hysteria over the rise in mail in voting.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 8
HerNameIsBuffy
1 minute ago, mamallama said:

I've become more and more convinced that Republicans/Russia have tampered with voting machines.  For one we know that they've been accessed.  And we've had two major elections where the votes lean farther right than the polls predicted.  Also Trumps hysteria over the rise in mail in voting.  

Interesting.  If this were the case do you think it was a failed attempt in that they didn't tamper enough or do you think they planned for a Biden win but wanted it close enough to sew unrest?  

Because is supposed to have been their goal for a long time.  Not to help Trump per se, but to enflame the divisions in an attempt to destabilize our government.

18 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

I haven't been able to find info, but I don't have the time to deep dig atm so if anyone sees a reference to the tech specifics of this could you please post them?

The DB platform, server locations and specifics, the analysis of the tables and field change, etc.  I'm playing armchair IT detective since something is finally in my field of expertise.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

with every single step they take, it's hard to say whether there's an evil mastermind at work or whether they're just chaotically muddling through.

It just occurred to me yesterday that it's both, with a combo in the middle:  

First, the reek of flop sweat and desperation is wafting off the Trump Camp.  They are mob at heart and know only crime and grift; they are frantic to keep the grift going.  He's sending out desperate fundraising emails, because they need to retire their massive campaign debt.  He has no foreseeable source of income with immense legal exposure and concomitant legal bills that will cost more than the GDP of small nations so the money has to keep coming in. 

He's setting up a  run in 2024; this allows PACS to be formed.  A leadership PAC has been formed that has zip for spending restrictions, so all the fundraising there can go right into the pockets of the Trump Crime Family.  

Latest word on the street is that Trump will trash Fox news and set up Trump TV as a subscription station, with all of his twitter followers (except bots and those hate following him) as subscribers. 

So that's Trump. 

This category might be a blend of evil mastermind and desperate scrabbling depending:  the legion of government Trump humpers and Congresspeople (Devin Nunes!) who have been indulging in all manner of malfeasance and ratf**kery who are about to be exposed and will do anything to hang on to power and avoid legal jeopardy.

The real deep state, comprised of Barr, McConnell, Leo Leonard (Federalist Society) and other Machiavellian f**kwads, has  been scheming and strategizing big time and are now implementing their battle plan.  Screw the Democrats and if the country burns down in the process, so be it. 

But remember this:  A majority of people in this country vote Democrat.  Remove gerrymandering in all its manifestation and there would easily be a Democratic majority in the House and Senate. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1
Giraffe
28 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think there is danger in people refusing to be afraid of situations where there is legitimate danger to fear.  That's what keeps people in dangerous situations way too long.

Your whole post was good but I wanted to pull this out because it’s essential we keep this in mind. We’re scared because we have every right to be afraid. Trump is unhinged and has no one willing to reign him in. And who knows what state secrets he’ll tell the highest bidder once he leaves office, especially after he’s already done it!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1
fraurosena
2 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

We’re scared because we have every right to be afraid.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Contrary to what most people believe, fear is not a bad thing. It's not a nice feeling to have, but it serves a very important purpose: to protect yourself from harm. A fear response to a (potentially) dangerous situation or impending threat is perfectly natural and even helpful as it enables you (at least a chance) to prepare an immediate response.

In this case, where there is a clear threat of an attempt to undo the election results and install an authoritarian dictatorship, it is absolutely justified to be afraid -- and prepared for any eventuality. We're not taking about wild and baseless conspiracy theories here. Our fear is based on facts and events we see unfolding before our very eyes.

I continue to have hope in my heart that good will prevail. But I am realistic about the possible cost it could take. And that makes me fearful.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

I see what you're saying.  I looked at the committees he's on and I'm not sure why he believes he could intervene.  But he's a Trumper through and through, so I thought it was at least a sliver of reasonableness coming from the GOP. 

And sometimes one person speaking out, even a little, might give "permission" for others to do so.

I also wondered if it was a signal to the White House that the GOP won't back him indefinitely.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
mamallama
35 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Interesting.  If this were the case do you think it was a failed attempt in that they didn't tamper enough or do you think they planned for a Biden win but wanted it close enough to sew unrest?  

Because is supposed to have been their goal for a long time.  Not to help Trump per se, but to enflame the divisions in an attempt to destabilize our government.

I haven't been able to find info, but I don't have the time to deep dig atm so if anyone sees a reference to the tech specifics of this could you please post them?

The DB platform, server locations and specifics, the analysis of the tables and field change, etc.  I'm playing armchair IT detective since something is finally in my field of expertise.  

I wish I had a sophisticated theory to offer.  It's just something that keeps coming to mind when these things come up.  Based mostly on the truism that Trump will accuse others of what he himself is doing.  Since I don't even have the IT knowledge to be even an arm chair IT detective my guess would be it was just something in the programming that flipped small percentage of votes from D to R and not an on going hack.  Something that could push swing states over the line.  So by this theory Biden's win is not part of their plan but a flaw in it.  With mail in voting coming from mostly Dems there would be proportionally too few D votes to flip.  In my dreams one of Biden's goals should be to make changes in the election process to guarantee voter rights are maintained.  I think that along with ending gerrymandering could fix a lot of problems.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
SassyPants

One positive thing, if he’s planning for a 2024 run, and we know this is likely based on his persistent pandering for funds allegedly for a recount of votes in various states, AND the uncovering of the fact that donations under $8,000 actually go into his own pocket, it must mean he knows that he has lost this election. 

He is such a douche. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
HerNameIsBuffy
1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

One positive thing, if he’s planning for a 2024 run, and we know this is likely based on his persistent pandering for funds allegedly for a recount of votes in various states, AND the uncovering of the fact that donations under $8,000 actually go into his own pocket, it must mean he knows that he has lost this election. 

He is such a douche. 

He may run, but I don't think the cash grab is any indication of it.  Even if he had no intention on running he would still be fleecing his sheep for all the money he can get.  Especially since they are saying that up to 60% of the donation will go to campaign debts from this election.

And I don't for one second think he's going to pay the small vendors, or the cities and venues to whom they owe money.  I bet there is a lot of "debt" to "campaign employees" like Yelling Kimmy, DJTJ, Eric....and of course whatever else Trump can scam off the top.  

@Smash! I tried to delete your duplicate post and they both vanished.  I'm sorry!  

He has tweeted over 110x today.

Whoever is the most grown up of his kids need to step up and check on Daddy because he's not okay.

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2
SassyPants
21 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

He may run, but I don't think the cash grab is any indication of it.  Even if he had no intention on running he would still be fleecing his sheep for all the money he can get.  Especially since they are saying that up to 60% of the donation will go to campaign debts from this election.

And I don't for one second think he's going to pay the small vendors, or the cities and venues to whom they owe money.  I bet there is a lot of "debt" to "campaign employees" like Yelling Kimmy, DJTJ, Eric....and of course whatever else Trump can scam off the top.  

@Smash! I tried to delete your duplicate post and they both vanished.  I'm sorry!  

He has tweeted over 110x today.

Whoever is the most grown up of his kids need to step up and check on Daddy because he's not okay.

Oh, yes, I do realize he never pays his debts. Like military service, becoming a POW, living within your means, working hard for a living and having integrity, paying your debts is for losers and suckers. I know it’s likely never going to happen, but I would love if the final consequence of all his legal problems could be reduced to DJT having to make the choice between losing everything he has ever had/accumulated or spending the next 25 years in prison (and not a white collar federal playpen). Let him choose his fate.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
fraurosena

The blatant and obvious misinformation is utterly shameless.

• WTF 13
  • Thank You 3
  • GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic