IGNORED

John Shrader 20: The Little Plane that Dared

samurai_sarah

I'd like to do a compare and contrast.  My city has a ministry called Mobile Loaves and Fishes. Their fleet of food trucks has been feeding the homeless for DECADES.

I do a food shop at my Trader Joe's geezer hour on Sunday morning and cross under an expressway on my way. A Mobile Loaves and Fishes truck was on the scene of a homeless encampment under the freeway just at the beginning of Winter Storm Uri last Sunday, checking in, giving out food, blankets, whatever people might need. 

They have also developed Community First!, a 51-acre village with housing, medical and psychiatric care, social workers, community gardens, a library, a "tiny homes" hotel and lots more. 

I have no idea what denomination they are, or if they are affiliated with a denomination.  

There is nothing on their web site that indicates that they push their religion or have any religious requirement. 

mlf.org/community-first/

"Welcome to the most talked about neighborhood in Austin, Texas! Community First! Village is a 51-acre master planned community that provides affordable, permanent housing and a supportive community for men and women coming out of chronic homelessness. A development of Mobile Loaves & Fishes, this transformative residential program exists to love and serve our neighbors who have been living on the streets, while also empowering the surrounding community into a lifestyle of service with the homeless." 

Now think about Bro. Shrader, who doesn't bother to help people because he doesn't want to foster dependency is a self centered dick whose  "ministry" consists of John stroking his own ego.

• Upvote 20
  • Love 7

On 2/23/2021 at 2:19 AM, Howl said:

I'd like to do a compare and contrast.  My city has a ministry called Mobile Loaves and Fishes. Their fleet of food trucks has been feeding the homeless for DECADES.

I do a food shop at my Trader Joe's geezer hour on Sunday morning and cross under an expressway on my way. A Mobile Loaves and Fishes truck was on the scene of a homeless encampment under the freeway just at the beginning of Winter Storm Uri last Sunday, checking in, giving out food, blankets, whatever people might need. 

They have also developed Community First!, a 51-acre village with housing, medical and psychiatric care, social workers, community gardens, a library, a "tiny homes" hotel and lots more. 

I have no idea what denomination they are, or if they are affiliated with a denomination.  

There is nothing on their web site that indicates that they push their religion or have any religious requirement. 

mlf.org/community-first/

Now think about Bro. Shrader, who doesn't bother to help people because he doesn't want to foster dependency is a self centered dick whose  "ministry" consists of John stroking his own ego.

I'd be fascinated to look at their membership - somehow I suspect they have interested and retained a lot more people than Shrader.

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I'd be fascinated to look at their membership - somehow I suspect they have interested and retained a lot more people than Shrader.

That's setting a pretty low bar though. John has retained what, 3-4 people at most? :D 

• Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

On 2/22/2021 at 6:19 PM, Howl said:

I don’t know if the Loaves and Fishes across the country are all part of one organization or not, but I do know that the one in NC was started by an Episcopal congregation. 

• Thank You 6

On 2/25/2021 at 1:59 AM, Ozlsn said:

It's a huge successful dealio, with many committed volunteers.  My sense is that although they are a ministry, there is no religious requirement for volunteers or those they serve.  

When Mobile Loaves and Fishes were first looking for property to set up the Community First! Village, they were very interested in a property about a mile from my house, very much in the city.  Based on the shrieking, tearing of hair, rending of garments and general histrionics by the NIMBY element, you'd think that MLF was trying to install a penal spa for unrepentant serial killer sex offenders.  The location would have been great because it would have had easy access to public transport (bus and metro train).  But no. 

The NIMBY folks did a similar thing when the city approved a low-income community health center at the edge of our neighborhood.  It was built and has had zero impact on property values, quality of life or anything else. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 2/27/2021 at 8:00 PM, Howl said:

The NIMBY folks did a similar thing when the city approved a low-income community health center at the edge of our neighborhood.  It was built and has had zero impact on property values, quality of life or anything else. 

I feel like you’re describing the neighborhood where our house is (even though it’s in a different state). There is a massive empty building that someone wanted to turn into a shelter. Cue weeping, gnashing of teeth, and mass hysteria (from people with “All are welcome here” signs in their yards. So we still have a giant empty building in the neighborhood. 

Then the city wanted to rezone so that you could build up to 6 units on plots that were least half an acre. The exact same thing happened except this time they lost.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

John has a new Shrader prayer letter out, now with special envelope! Pictures of both under the spoiler cut,

Shraders Jan-March 2021 Praise & Prayer Letter!

Whew, this stuff is a challenge for me, but with God's Grace and perseverance, we got the special Mailing Envelope (which we send our Printed Prayer & Praise Update Letter to our supporting churches in) updated and ordered, and our "Official" Prayer Letter accomplished today.

If you are not currently receiving this Praise/ Prayer Letter digitally and directly, but would like to be on our email mailing list, just send me a message with your email and I'll add you to the list.

Such exciting things God is doing here, to Him alone be all Glory and Praise!

Rejoicing in His Marvelous Provision, and praying that it encourages your hearts as well!

Bro. John Shrader for the Family,

Zambia

Spoiler

717980548_Shraderlettermarch2021.thumb.jpg.4452f69ab9f1a981a074d611ab5412f7.jpg

94308919_Shraderlettermarch2021envelope.thumb.jpg.670314fb238156f0775995389a98c91a.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

BEC, I know, but all that highlighting makes it so annoying to read!

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

I noticed John said they had seven students graduate from high school, including Enoch and Alatheia. I wonder if they went to the town high school? Or were they all homeschooled? The Shrader children have spent most or all of their lives in Zambia. Wonder what their impressions are of the US when they go back on occasional trips with their parents. I think it would be wonderful if one of the Shrader children left and wrote a tell all book about their lives. It must be so stressful to have manic Brother John as your father.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Markie said:

I wonder if they went to the town high school? Or were they all homeschooled?

OMG, homeschooled ONLY.  The Shraders are insular to an extreme degree, because the precious locals don't have sufficient doctrinal purity, i.e., are not the Right Kind of Christians. More specifically, and I'll just say it right out loud, the real reason is that John is an obnoxious racist; he does not at any point consider black Zambians as peers.  They are props in his ongoing ministry drama, rather than fully fledged equals worthy of respect. John literally does not understand the meaning of community. 

I've never seen any evidence in all the years they have been there, that the kids have learned local languages or been allowed to mingle/develop friendships with local kids, other than the daughter teaching Sunday school. 

Like the Maxwell borg,  interactions with those outside the immediate family consist of  a manipulative approach with the sole aim of soul winning annoying strangers for Jesus.  There is zero invitation to authentic relationship involved. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Howl said:

I've never seen any evidence in all the years they have been there, that the kids have learned local languages or been allowed to mingle/develop friendships with local kids, other than the daughter teaching Sunday school. 

I suspect the kids understand more of the locally spoken language than certainly John - I also think they don't speak it in front of their parents because they would likely get in trouble. I doubt they are allowed Zambian friends, whether any of the kids have some illicit contact who knows. 

9 hours ago, Howl said:

the real reason is that John is an obnoxious racist; he does not at any point consider black Zambians as peers.  They are props in his ongoing ministry drama

Agreed. Although basically all other humans on the planet are props in The Wonderful Drama of John, and only exist in his mind in relation to that. He would likely have homeschooled in the US too, but would probably allow more non-family interaction. He already proved he can't manage to keep a church in the US though, basically because he's an obnoxious narcissistic arsehole. And racist to boot.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 3/5/2021 at 7:59 PM, Giraffe said:

BEC, I know, but all that highlighting makes it so annoying to read!

I don’t understand why he uses highlighting and underlining. Pick one or the other!

On 3/6/2021 at 8:38 AM, Howl said:

the real reason is that John is an obnoxious racist

I still can’t get over him constantly saying “sub-Saharan Africa.” It wouldn’t surprise me if he also called the Zambian people (which I know is a massive generalization of the many tribes) “natives.” Or worse. 

I also always wonder what the words they use for John really mean. John definitely wouldn’t know the difference because he still can’t speak any of the local language. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I shouldn’t be, but I am continually amazed by John’s grifting abilities. A kudu hunt ain’t cheap.  Even if someone donated their rifle and time for Enoch’s hunt, who paid for the license? It’s like $2,000. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 7
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

@subsaharanafrica, thank you! It's good to know details like that. I can imagine so many more helpful things $2000 could buy. I mean, just think of how much beef jerky and sunflower seeds it would buy! ?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I shouldn’t be, but I am continually amazed by John’s grifting abilities. A kudu hunt ain’t cheap.  Even if someone donated their rifle and time for Enoch’s hunt, who paid for the license? It’s like $2,000. 

Are we sure they actually had a license? Wouldn’t it be typical to just go without the license?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, tanba said:

Are we sure they actually had a license? Wouldn’t it be typical to just go without the license?

If John purchased a license I’ll buy a hat and eat it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, tanba said:

I don’t know the specifics of the Zambian penal system, but in TZ poaching an animal that requires a permit means pretty serious jail time. I would assume it’s the same, especially since the permits are big money makers for the government at the same time they’re trying to protect the wildlife population that brings in photographic tourists. 

ETA: The only thing I can think of is that permits were purchased for people who ended up cancelling due to Covid so they were stuck with excess tags. Still though. 

Edited by subsaharanafrica
Eta
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

Alatheia turned 17 on Saturday. I wonder a lot about how the boys will fair as they get older, but the girls worry me. I can see John not wanting to give them up, as they can always feed his ego in ways a grown son can't, but I worry that he'll find some awful husbands for them; I'm not sure which fate would be worse. 

• Sad 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

On 3/15/2021 at 8:00 PM, anjulibai said:

but the girls worry me...I worry that he'll find some awful husbands for them; I'm not sure which fate would be worse. 

My sense is that they are too valuable as sister moms to turn loose.  I can see them hanging around until their early 20s. 

Esther is still young, doesn't seem to have problem pregnancies (yet) and presumably will keep cranking out babies -- wild guess,  from 2 to 5 more.  Is she currently preggers? 

And yes, Bro Shrader would probably have the final (and first) say over who got to court the young women.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

Checked in on his page and am laughing hysterically at a post from 14th March beginning "Numbers don't mean everything to be honest.."

And then goes on to say how many they've had, and how his church is growing. Hm. How many are consistent and staying on though John?

Spoiler

1996663948_Screenshot_20210329-081837_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d7ed96d29b7ab12629a95a21de93d4ed.jpg

He's also back to alliteratively antagonizing and alienating all armies*, with plans to broadcast his One True Gospel on radio:

Spoiler

1024076385_Screenshot_20210329-082349_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.56d36d60ae55fff6ce8a7ebe96cac651.jpg741898268_Screenshot_20210329-082358_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.14ceae1e7550be1ff9c8312e7ac0d724.jpg

And meetings. There are many meetings. The One True Faith can only be spread by John having Important meetings.

*ran out of A words, was that or "array"!

• Eyeroll 3
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

alliteratively antagonizing and alienating all armies*,

Allies. Dammit, that was the word I was trying to get to!!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

"Historic Unaffiliated Biblical Baptist Local-Church Sent Missionary   Zambia"  !!!!1!!!1 Eleventy. Good grief. 

At least he doesn't add in SubSaharan Africa in his phone bio. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

130 came to John's Easter Resurrection Sunday service! And stayed for 6 hours, plus service. Sincerely hope the food was good, glad they had shade.

Spoiler

1613378141_Screenshot_20210406-204055_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c608f500337af0a9c7e6a286b09d1ef7.jpg

Can it be that he is actually... building a church, finally? I am still waiting for it all to go wrong, again.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

On 4/6/2021 at 3:44 AM, Ozlsn said:

130 came to John's Easter Resurrection Sunday service! And stayed for 6 hours, plus service. Sincerely hope the food was good, glad they had shade.

Reveal hidden contents

1613378141_Screenshot_20210406-204055_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.c608f500337af0a9c7e6a286b09d1ef7.jpg

Can it be that he is actually... building a church, finally? I am still waiting for it all to go wrong, again.

This is John. He can never maintain anything. Plus, Easter is usually one of the biggest turnout days for churches. 
“Satisfied” with the preaching doesn’t sound like the highest praise to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

I can’t imagine putting up with John for almost 10 hours plus travel time. There’s no food that would make me put up with him for that long. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic