IGNORED

Unmarried Fundies 9: Hoping for Plot Twists

samurai_sarah

11 hours ago, JMO said:

They actually spell it Truely.

@JMO, @Bethella was right. I was commenting on Truly as a name because the Wilkinsons used it but saying I appreciated it because they at least spelled it correctly. In contrast to Kody and Christine Brown who misspelled a commonly used world in the English language when they named their daughter Truely.

I apologize if I phrased that in an unclear way!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Going back to the naming thing, I find it strangle when people pick a name very early in the pregnancy and make it public, like the Bates. Part of me is probably superstitious and feels like I would be jinxing a healthy pregnancy and delivery. Another part of me feels that I need to see the baby's face to confirm the name choice. For both our kids we had a few top contenders and made the final decision after they were born. 

I'm glad we did that especially with our daughter because the top name we had picked out didn't suit her at all. It was derived from a color and that color just didn't vibe with her (obviously a very subjective feeling, but our feeling nonetheless). We realized that just a few hours after she was born and used our second choice which fits her like a glove. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Going back to the naming thing, I find it strangle when people pick a name very early in the pregnancy and make it public, like the Bates. Part of me is probably superstitious and feels like I would be jinxing a healthy pregnancy and delivery. Another part of me feels that I need to see the baby's face to confirm the name choice. For both our kids we had a few top contenders and made the final decision after they were born. 

I'm glad we did that especially with our daughter because the top name we had picked out didn't suit her at all. It was derived from a color and that color just didn't vibe with her (obviously a very subjective feeling, but our feeling nonetheless). We realized that just a few hours after she was born and used our second choice which fits her like a glove. 

I can totally see why you think it’s weird even though we did this with both of my pregnancies. It is kind of weird but my husband and I were dead set on our choices of names. And I knew we wouldn’t change our minds. And we didn’t. The only thing we didn’t have picked out before hand was my younger son’s nickname. When he came out, we decided he looked very much like one nickname over the other. And it fits him very well to this day. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

We called our kids weird nicknames when I was pregnant and TO THIS DAY, years later, we still call them those names. It was very weird to call them actual names.
The Fish and the Bug, thankfully, find it amusing.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I don't have any kids yet, but we are just starting to try. At this point I am thinking this will be us. We will have a few options but wait to "meet" them. My cousin is due soon and has a name picked out but isn't revealing it. It's driving her mother CRAZY, but her mother's unwanted opinion is exactly why she's keeping it to herself (and her partner).

• Upvote 3

I had all four children's names picked at the beginning of my pregnancies, in the case of my eldest, her name was chosen 6 years before she was born lol

• Upvote 5

In 2015, California Seven was a costume designer for a play her dad, Mark, wrote.  I’m relieved they’re in the arts community.  7 days before marriage, a wacky name—I was guessing they were deep into a cult.

https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/news/3827747-wild-west-comes-bemidji-author-mark-thorson-and-director-greg-gasman-team-show

Edited by HereComesTreble
  • Upvote 3

On 12/9/2020 at 10:21 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

My cousin is due soon and has a name picked out but isn't revealing it. It's driving her mother CRAZY, but her mother's unwanted opinion is exactly why she's keeping it to herself (and her partner).

Most of my friends/cousins have done this. Maybe take one back up name into the hospital but for the most part, the first name was set in stone through most of the pregnancy and they only shared it after the birth. They've nearly all shared the names with me because they like me to quote stats at them about names and they know I'll keep my opinion to myself. I have opinions but mine usually aren't strong, especially for someone else's kid, and are usually based on things more than how appealing it sounds to me personally or things like "that's an old lady/man's name!"

I'll probably do the same. My family are super opinionated about names but also very conservative namers on the whole. Lots of 'timeless classics' with a sprinkle of Irish names throughout, which I do appreciate, but having been a name nerd for as long as I can remember their taste isn't likely to be my jam for my own hypothetical kids. They do obnoxious things like repeat the name in an exaggerated nasally or screechy voice and over emphasize the syllables loudly and say, "EWWWWW", and go on about how perfectly fine names being used on a child are akin to 'child abuse' (to the person who said they like the name) just because it isn't that family member's personal taste. It drives me insane. It drives my cousins mad too. So I guess the obnoxiousness has finally skipped a generation? haha

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

@Aine 2 of my 4 have Irish names (Norn iron born!) my daughters name is fine easy and no issue, but sweet jebus can no one get my sons right?! I live in the south east england and I did forget the general standard of pronunciation of words is just shite. Th is pronounced as F. He has been called Charlie, jack, Jeff.... Now Ive given clues can you guess his name?! My friend came back off a weekend away and wall all "omg I actually met a bloke with his name"! I was was like wow where were you?.....A pub in Dublin ? 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Aine said:

I'll probably do the same. My family are super opinionated about names but also very conservative namers on the whole. Lots of 'timeless classics' with a sprinkle of Irish names throughout, which I do appreciate, but having been a name nerd for as long as I can remember their taste isn't likely to be my jam for my own hypothetical kids. They do obnoxious things like repeat the name in an exaggerated nasally or screechy voice and over emphasize the syllables loudly and say, "EWWWWW", and go on about how perfectly fine names being used on a child are akin to 'child abuse' (to the person who said they like the name) just because it isn't that family member's personal taste. It drives me insane. It drives my cousins mad too. So I guess the obnoxiousness has finally skipped a generation? haha

This sounds like my family. My cousin has two kids and our family ripped her name ideas to shreds. She likes a lot of unisex names and my family is very conservative and loves to preserve and enforce gender roles, so every name she told them they would say that it was a name for the gender opposite what she was having and say it in a high pitched voice like how JRod talks. When she finally settled on the name and spelling for her daughter, and my family decided that was a “boy” spelling and told her she should change it, which she ended up doing. When I have kids I’m not announcing the name to family until its been written on the birth certificate so that if they complain there is no way to change it at that point. Mr. TattooParlor and I have a boy and girl name picked for whenever we do have kids and I’m not letting anyone sway me from them. 

• Upvote 3

We kept two secret but opened up about our ideas for the last name and it caused huge family fights. I was sorry we shared. It’s no one else’s business and if a name choice is going to make family members not love the child or put down the parents it says way more about the family and I frankly had to tell some people where to put their opinions.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I have an extended family member who used 2 names I dislike. A lot. But I kept my big mouth shut. Not my kid. Not my choice.

• Upvote 14

I probably wouldn't want my boyfriends mother to know the name since she has an opinion about everything, can't ever keep her mouth shut, knows everything best, does nothing wrong and always plays the victim. Nope. Just nope.

Sorry for the rant. She has been a pain in the ass lately.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have an extended family member who used 2 names I dislike. A lot. But I kept my big mouth shut. Not my kid. Not my choice.

Yep. One of my siblings gave their kid one of my least favourite names on earth. But I love the kid with my whole heart so the name is no longer loathed, just tolerated ? . It has definitely grown on me.

We shared our name choice during pregnancy with our first child. Got some negative feedback from my FIL so when he asked us the names we were thinking of with our second we said we hadn’t made a decision. Total lie. We just weren’t telling.

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, adidas said:

Yep. One of my siblings gave their kid one of my least favourite names on earth. But I love the kid with my whole heart so the name is no longer loathed, just tolerated ? . It has definitely grown on me.

We shared our name choice during pregnancy with our first child. Got some negative feedback from my FIL so when he asked us the names we were thinking of with our second we said we hadn’t made a decision. Total lie. We just weren’t telling.

Both of the kids go by nicknames now so I never even say their full names that I dislike. I like the nicknames so it’s all good.

I told people our name choices when I was pregnant. But I’m mean when I’m pregnant. So no one messed with me ?

• Haha 5

Here in the Netherlands it is very uncommon to share the name before the birth. I haven't seen it happening around me except for my American and Russian colleagues.

I think it has something to do with bad luck but it also helps that people don't share their opinion as much if the baby is already born and named compared to during the pregnancy. 

• Upvote 10

On 12/17/2020 at 11:19 AM, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@Aine 2 of my 4 have Irish names (Norn iron born!) my daughters name is fine easy and no issue, but sweet jebus can no one get my sons right?! I live in the south east england and I did forget the general standard of pronunciation of words is just shite. Th is pronounced as F. He has been called Charlie, jack, Jeff.... Now Ive given clues can you guess his name?! My friend came back off a weekend away and wall all "omg I actually met a bloke with his name"! I was was like wow where were you?.....A pub in Dublin ? 

I really like Irish names, so I went looking for this mysterious name. There are a ton of websites with Irish names, so this shouldn't be that hard, right?
But I absolutely can't find a name that would be mutilated into Charlie, Jack ánd Jeff.

Please, please, @Aine tell me his name!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

20 minutes ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@DutchMommy another clue, it means Courage. Its also a Saints name, but as thats darn near every name its not much help!

I keep thinking Cathal but can't work out how that would end up as Jack to someone. Maybe Tarlac? 

This has been taking up WAY too much of my brain power these past few days. Good way to block out Tier 4 and Plague Island though.

Edited by EmainMacha

@EmainMacha I lived in Richhill and Portadown! In fact the name is from a chap my Mother worked with in Dunnes in Porty. Never got to see the fort tho. It is a bit of a brain teaser! Tarlac isnt right but its sounds very similar... 

Brief history of the name...

Mother worked a canteen cook for Dunnes back in the 80's. A chap named ... also worked there, she said tho he was young he was one of the nicest people she had ever met, a genuine nice chap. While we were talking about this, I said if I ever had another boy I would name him... Mother was very about this! 

At the time I had been single for 5 months...did a pregnancy test 3 days after the convo...yes I was OOOPS!! lol same dad. So mother said if its a boy you promise to call him...? So he was a boy and I did. He was the only grandbaby she never saw and her health went south after, but son is very happy to know his Nana named him after such a lovely man ?.

Thank you for reading!

• Love 3

1 hour ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

@EmainMacha I lived in Richhill and Portadown! In fact the name is from a chap my Mother worked with in Dunnes in Porty. Never got to see the fort tho. It is a bit of a brain teaser! Tarlac isnt right but its sounds very similar... 

Brief history of the name...

Mother worked a canteen cook for Dunnes back in the 80's. A chap named ... also worked there, she said tho he was young he was one of the nicest people she had ever met, a genuine nice chap. While we were talking about this, I said if I ever had another boy I would name him... Mother was very about this! 

At the time I had been single for 5 months...did a pregnancy test 3 days after the convo...yes I was OOOPS!! lol same dad. So mother said if its a boy you promise to call him...? So he was a boy and I did. He was the only grandbaby she never saw and her health went south after, but son is very happy to know his Nana named him after such a lovely man ?.

Thank you for reading!

I know Richhill and Portadown well! Your mother sounds like a lovely woman and it's lovely to have such a lasting memory with your son's name.

Final guess: name beginning with J and ending in 'lath' or beginning C and ending 'leth'

Edited by EmainMacha
  • Thank You 1

@EmainMacha you got it! J...lath is his name! 6th century Saint, but arent they all? lol!

Oh the fun and games we have with his name is painful, kids at school gave up and called him Jeff, his genetic donor says it JAluff, but hes a twat who disappeared years ago thank god! Doctors, hospitals, neighbours etc all butcher his name and its such a lovely name too! 

• Upvote 4

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic