IGNORED

Unmarried Fundies 9: Hoping for Plot Twists

samurai_sarah

1 minute ago, hoipolloi said:

Probably the latter.

There is ample precedent among fundie Christians for taking the "let's pretend nothing happened" route to obliterating the inconvenient past.

Truth. If you follow any of the VF people who have had numerous failed courtships (isn’t that the point of not dating, that you aren’t having failed relationships? LOL), you’ll see they never refer to it again. Usually delete everything off that was there. Although some leave it all up but just keep going like nothing ever was. For example if you follow the Natty Darnell / Joe Darnell cluster on social media, you’ll see no reference to nearly a dozen attempts to get married on Natty’s Accounts but Joe Darnel’s left plenty of remnants of his ex wife’s existence despite acting like his new wife has been his only wife and her claiming the children with the ex wife’s are her son and daughter. Not stepson and stepdaughter she actually claims them to be her own children. Which is weird. I’ve heard that he took a bunch of Household stuff from the marriage that belonged to the ex wife and it shows up in photos here and there. It’s weird. And somewhat bizarre - if you married a guy a few months after his divorce would you want his ex wife’s things all over your house?? 

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

There is ample precedent among fundie Christians for taking the "let's pretend nothing happened" route to obliterating the inconvenient past.

These are kids. They are young and sheltered, and they didn't choose to be in the spotlight. Lauren wouldn't be in the spotlight if her sister hadn't married a Duggar.

I don't know that it's "pretending nothing happened" as much as it might be that Lauren is hurting and maybe feels embarrassed and is processing everything, whether it was her decision, his decision, or a mutual decision to end the engagement. If that is what happened.

I was engaged for close to 9 years of a 10 year relationship, and we called off the wedding 3 months before it was due to take place. Everything was paid for, we'd been planning it for the best part of 2 years, I had my dress, invites went out 6 months before, people had booked flights to travel to the wedding...it was awful. I don't think it would have felt much less awful if it had happened before wedding planning and if I knew people on the Internet were talking about it. I talk about these things too on FJ, and I don't really feel guilty about doing so when families put these things out there into the internets. But this is one of those times where I don't think Lauren or the Caldwells have to justify taking down the post or not putting up an explanation (they may do so in the future but they don't need to). I don't think their actions necessarily reflect a hope that the public will forget or even that they think this is an 'inconvenient' past. It's kind of just not anyone's business unless Lauren or Titus makes it so and I hope the Caldwells are more focused on supporting their daughter through this right now. ?‍♀️

• Upvote 21
  • Love 4

so far the date for Denver Bontrager and Praise Helferich's wedding is set for March 20, 2021. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

18 hours ago, Nolongeroppressed8.4 said:

Truth. If you follow any of the VF people who have had numerous failed courtships (isn’t that the point of not dating, that you aren’t having failed relationships? LOL), you’ll see they never refer to it again. Usually delete everything off that was there. Although some leave it all up but just keep going like nothing ever was. For example if you follow the Natty Darnell / Joe Darnell cluster on social media, you’ll see no reference to nearly a dozen attempts to get married on Natty’s Accounts but Joe Darnel’s left plenty of remnants of his ex wife’s existence despite acting like his new wife has been his only wife and her claiming the children with the ex wife’s are her son and daughter. Not stepson and stepdaughter she actually claims them to be her own children. Which is weird. I’ve heard that he took a bunch of Household stuff from the marriage that belonged to the ex wife and it shows up in photos here and there. It’s weird. And somewhat bizarre - if you married a guy a few months after his divorce would you want his ex wife’s things all over your house?? 

That would be weird to have the ex’s stuff all over the house but it does make sense to keep familiar things around for the kids so they don’t feel like their mom has been wiped out of their home and doesn’t exist. But it is weird that a step mom would claim the husband’s kids as her own. Doesn’t make sense since she knows she didn’t give birth to them. But the funniest thing I heard about this situation is that his ex sent them a wedding gift from their registry. Talk about weird and awkward!  Haha! 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

I was today old when I discover that Praise's full name is "Praise the Lord" Helferich! I am speechless, I was convinced no one can do worst of Heistheway, but fundies parents keep found new ways to surprise me 

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 10
  • WTF 16

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maggie Burnett and David Nino are getting married March 11th according to their registry. 

Who knew March was fundie wedding season? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

I was today old when I discover that Praise's full name is "Praise the Lord" Helferich! I am speechless, I was convinced no one can do worst of Heistheway, but fundies parents keep found new ways to surprise me 

What? So many questions, but first, where did you find that out? 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

What? So many questions, but first, where did you find that out? 

Duggar data has it on her post about the engagement. I couldn't believe it at first I thought it was a joke but no it is real! 

https://m.imgur.com/MNaqoTf

Here you can read the article from which Duggar data was able to confirm the name. 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Thank You 9

4 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Duggar data has it on her post about the engagement. I couldn't believe it at first I thought it was a joke but no it is real! 

Oh jeeze. Thanks. People are freaking bonkers. 

Also, how will the Bont's tour now? Allison is in Minnesota. Of course, Praise will take her place in Iowa, but does she sing? Will she tour with the family? Or will the Bont's lose both Allison & Denver? Leaving them with their four last offspring and that random dude that travels with them? 

Taylor is about to be 19 and ready to marry. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the other 2021 wedding for them. 

When they started making money by making their kids perform on stage as commanded, did they thoroughly think through the fact that the day would come and the kids would all be off living their (prayed for/encouraged) married lives?

• Upvote 5

I actually think Praise sounds kind of nice as a first name. Praise sounds like a little like Grace. It's too fundie, because the definition of the word.

"The" and "Lord" are weird middle names, but at least it's not all one word like Heistheway. I'm still not sure of the correct pronunciation of Heistheway. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

13 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Oh jeeze. Thanks. People are freaking bonkers. 

Also, how will the Bont's tour now? Allison is in Minnesota. Of course, Praise will take her place in Iowa, but does she sing? Will she tour with the family? Or will the Bont's lose both Allison & Denver? Leaving them with their four last offspring and that random dude that travels with them? 

Taylor is about to be 19 and ready to marry. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the other 2021 wedding for them. 

When they started making money by making their kids perform on stage as commanded, did they thoroughly think through the fact that the day would come and the kids would all be off living their (prayed for/encouraged) married lives?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t make a ton of money touring after all the expenses of traveling that far in a giant gas guzzler. They probably make most of their money from the farm and the Inn.

• Upvote 2

If her name was just Praise I would have no problem at all, is the entire thing that throws me kinda under the bus, Praise the Lord is like they don't care she is a person, a living being, with her interest, like/dislike, etc, she is just another way to show they being better, religiously, holier than thou/any other family. 

I get that they have always had in mind to homeschool her, keep her shelter and make her married a good fundie guy, so she has no contact whit the outside world, but still, it spoke volume at how less they care about their kids as kids and more as a tool to them ?

Edited by Italiangirl
Complete my thought
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

Here you can read the article from which Duggar data was able to confirm the name. 

I noticed at the beginning of the article, Marie thought she was having twins but ended up only having Praise. By 1995 she should have had an ultrasound for suspected twins which strongly implies a lack of prenatal care. 

16 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

"The" and "Lord" are weird middle names, but at least it's not all one word like Heistheway. I'm still not sure of the correct pronunciation of Heistheway. 

It’s pronounced Hi-stha-way and there’s no nickname. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, Italiangirl said:

So the article states that her full name is Praise T.L. Which stands for Praise the lord. I’m assuming her birth certificate says Praise T.L. Still bad, but not as bad?

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

So the article states that her full name is Praise T.L. Which stand a for Praise the lord. I’m assuming her birth certificate says Praise T.L. Still bad, but not as bad?

Maybe not. My son has two middle names and I’ll often just stick the two initials in there because I don’t feel like writing both. But it says both full names on the birth certificate. 
ETA: I just read it and it does look like her middle name is just TL. Weird.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

ETA: I just read it and it does look like her middle name is just TL. Weird.

That’s how it’s listed on Ancestry with a lower case L:

0994B22E-9E5F-49D1-926E-18994294AA82.png

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Thank You 3

10 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

That’s how it’s listed on Ancestry:

0994B22E-9E5F-49D1-926E-18994294AA82.png

On there it looks like T.I. Which is hilarious to me. She probably has no idea who T.I. is.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

On there it looks like T.I. Which is hilarious to me. She probably has no idea who T.I. is.

Does it really matter? When she gets married, she'll be changing her name, therefore the old her is dead and gone, dead and gone.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, AliC said:

Does it really matter? When she gets married, she'll be changing her name, therefore the old her is dead and gone, dead and gone.

She won't necessarily change her middle name though, right? Unless she takes Helferich as her middle name, but not everyone does that.

Praise T.L. definitely ranks up there as one of the most interesting names I've seen! On one hand, I'm like, "If you're going to call your kid Praise The Lord Helferich, then just do it! Don't shy away from it!" but on the other hand, T.L. is a little less in your face. But then, anyone who sees it would surely ask, "What does T.L. stand for?", which then defeats the purpose of the initials to begin with. I'm confused about the whole thing and what my opinion on the matter is. I guess my opinion is not to make your child's name a common phrase ?‍♀️?

• Upvote 9

11 hours ago, Aine said:

But then, anyone who sees it would surely ask, "What does T.L. stand for?", which then defeats the purpose of the initials to begin with.

I think it might be the intent.  Anyone who asks can then get an earful about Jesus.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

A bit off-topic, but I have to admit that the story of little California Seven and her parents from the same article has my interest piqued.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, AliC said:

A bit off-topic, but I have to admit that the story of little California Seven and her parents from the same article has my interest piqued.

I would choose California Seven over Praise TL any day of the week.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, AliC said:

Reminds me of The Ballad of Lucy Whipple, if anyone else read that.

• I Agree 2

I find it odd that the almost-certainly-quiverfull Helferixh parents thought that “Praise” was most pertinent to celebrate only having one baby when they thought it was twins. 

• I Agree 3

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic