IGNORED

The Trial of the Chicago Seven

Maggie Mae

Has anyone seen this film on Netflix? It's written and directed by Aaron Sorkin (and I guess Steven Spielberg?), so if he's not your thing then you likely won't like it, but it's a fictional (with some fairly obvious liberties) retelling of the time when anti-war protesters were arrested and tried in Chicago during the sixties. Sacha Baron Cohen (I wish he would do more drama, he's good at it) plays Abbie Hoffman, a well known 60s Activist. And it took me forever to realize that the Federal Prosecutor was Joseph Gordon-Levitt. 

Edited by Maggie Mae
  • Upvote 1

This was a good movie, considering it covered a trial that took place over several months.  My husband graduated from high school in 1968 and enlisted right after (he never went overseas during the 60s and 70s), so had some hazy recollection of the events.  He says the timeline seemed a little off, and as a young man he wasn’t interested in following the trial at the time.  We both got teary at the ending.  We sometimes visit the local Viet Nam memorial wall to pay respects to friends he lost.  The actors were superb. 

• Upvote 2