IGNORED

2020 Election Results 3: The Longest Episode of Democracy Ever

Destiny

56 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

If you visit let me know! There are some REALLY nice areas here. I live in a small town near Charlotte - we're three hours basically from beach or mountains, have all the amenities of the big city just a 15 minute drive away, and have a major airline hub right here so we can go anywhere. If we need "bigger city" stuff, Atlanta's maybe 4 hours drive from here. There are artsy small towns in the mountains (and mine is trying to get that way itself), and the weather is decent despite how much we complain in the summer. It's really a nice place to live, generally.

Google really needs to start marking their mountains better. 

56 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Charlotte is pretty big. Per Wikipedia, it is: 

The metro area population is the important part - the population within the city limits doesn't accurately reflect numbers, because huge numbers of people work and socialize in the city but live in suburbs or small towns surrounding it. 

Charlotte isn't New York big, but it is pretty big, and growing quickly. 

This list might be useful for comparison of US city sizes. 

I'm pretty sure I wrote Charlotte (and was hearing my grandmother say it with a fake accent, for some reason) and meant Charleston? I don't know anymore. I've looked at so many counties and done more math in the last two days than I have in, oh, four years. 

• Upvote 2

This election is absurd.

I love Charleston for trips and vacation but I don't think I'd want to live there. 

My huband took a job in the research triangle and we read so many good thing about the area and then got there and HATED IT. I know it's a more liberal area and all but the christian music in stores, the oppressive summer heat (and I'm a native Floridian so I'm used to heat ?), the bugs, and all the religious shit (signs, businesses, and fuckery) combined with the passive aggressiveness that they decided to call Southern Hospitality is a hard pass from me. He's working from home now and we definitely left NC and I told him if he can't stay at home, he needs to start looking for something else because I am not going back to Raleigh. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

My mother's home county, York, is very heavily Trump. I won't say solidly because I know some people there who voted for Biden, but they're very much in the minority. Of course, a lot of York Countians like to fly the Confederate flag, too. :roll: I've often asked why, but no one gives me an answer that makes any sense at all.

*Now that I've dissed York County, I have to say I still love the place and would move there in a heartbeat if I could. Family and all that. And the PA Dutch food, omg. And the markets, and antiques, and beautiful countryside, and just...well, despite its many faults, it's home. ❤️ 

I have maternal relatives in that area as well as western Pennsylvania and they're very similar in culture to my West Virginia family. I am not asking who they're voting for but I have my suspicions...I grew up just outside the boujiest parts of northern Virginia and the cultural fissures appeared early when we went up there to visit our cousins. York is a pretty place though. I'll take meadows and farms over the Rust Belt anyday.

I think people forget how sort of Southern parts of Maryland and PA can feel even just outside DC. I notice it just driving to a nearby lake about an hour north of Bethesda.

And my very "West Virginia and proud" aunt posted some dumb (refuted) meme defending the Confederate flag. 1. Do you even know why your state is no longer part of Virginia? 2. Our relatives were choking on blighted potatoes in Ireland when that thing was being duked out. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I'm surprised that we haven't had a "counting on" pun for a thread title yet. 

• Haha 18

Nate Silver, editor in chief of fivethirtyeight says Nevada should be called for Biden.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

11 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'm surprised that we haven't had a "counting on" pun for a thread title yet. 

Maybe tomorrow (Rufus, no, please!). 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 7

Did someone post about what Trump's presser was about this AM?  I may have missed it, work has been crazy today.

2 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Nate Silver, editor in chief of fivethirtyeight says Nevada should be called for Biden.

Nate Silver is going to need a lot of Xanax to recover from this election.  And his reputation may not.

• Upvote 3

I know it’s frustrating, but...

AZ and NV leads are widening

Only 91K behind in PA

Less than 13K behind in GA

It’s a good day!

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
PA vote dump
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Did someone post about what Trump's presser was about this AM?  I may have missed it, work has been crazy today.

CNN didn't even cover it. It was a weird stream of conscience presser. 538 tl;dr below. 

CLARE MALONE

NOV. 5, 11:53 AM

This Nevada press conference is odd. The people coming up to the podium aren’t clearly identifying themselves, then a (presumably) Trump campaign official came up and said they wouldn’t take questions. “Ask your questions of Clark County,” the official says. A reporter says “but they’re not filing suit, you are.” Anyhow, bizarre. Again, no proof that anything untoward is happening in Clark County.

MAGGIE KOERTH

NOV. 5, 12:08 PM

This press conference is odd, Clare, but it’s nothing new for the Trump administration. We’ve been writing about false claims of voter fraud coming out of the Trump team since before he was elected and it seems to be what they are swinging back to now. Back in 2016, on the campaign trail, Trump was peddling a discredited research paper from Old Dominion University to claim that there was widespread voter registration by noncitizens and undocumented immigrants. Later, the president set up a voter fraud commission that attempted to prove fraud by merging voter registration information from around the country in a plan that would have almost certainly been filled with data error, had states gone along with it. That commission was headed up by Kris Kobach, who basically spent his entire career making allegations of widespread voter fraud that — despite actively and aggressively seeking out and prosecuting cases — he has been unable to prove. In the big picture, experts agree that voter fraud is very rare, and usually the result of mistakes or poorly informed voters, not intentional malevolence.

Also, dead voters are definitely a thing that has come up in claims like this before. Kobach, for example, staged a whole press conference around the claim of dead voters in Kansas in 2010. He cited the case of Albert K. Brewer, a dead man who was still voting, as an example. But the Topeka Capital-Journal found that Brewer was alive. Kobach’s staff had confused him with his father, also named Albert Brewer but with a different middle initial. The elder Brewer had indeed died, in 1996, on his son’s birthday.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9

3 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Trumps lead in Georgia dips below 10,000

99% of votes in though... looks like Trump will hold Georgia, very narrowly.

• Upvote 3

Blearg - a reference to Kobah.  EWWWWWWWWWWWWW (sorry he's such an idiot that the current Senator endorsed his opponent in the primary)

4 minutes ago, Smee said:

Not necessarily. 10.000 is an absolute number. The 1% could be any number of ballots. The fact that nobody has called the state yet is a sign that the actual votes still to be tallied is larger than 10.000.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Smee said:

1% of 5.000.000 is 50.000 uncounted votes. So a win in Georgia is still possible. 

47.000 uncounted ballots was the official number an hour ago.

Edited by Workingmom
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I can.  And then imagine them cutting him off mid-rant.

It would be fun if he did call then instead of cutting him off mid rant they literally got out the pop corn, sat back and let him go on... !! 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 10

7 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Not necessarily. 10.000 is an absolute number. The 1% could be any number of ballots. The fact that nobody has called the state yet is a sign that the actual votes still to be tallied is larger than 10.000.

They still have ~43K votes to count.  

• Upvote 4

I don’t think that 99% is accurate. CNN has it at 98. That said it’s close af and it will come down to a couple thousand either way.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

• Destiny locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic