IGNORED

2020 Election Results 3: The Longest Episode of Democracy Ever

Destiny

8 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

So, I lived in Charleston, SC for a few years and I know it sounds like a large city it really isn't. They have a law there that no building can be taller than highest church steeple.. so the max stories in most buildings is around 8ish.

That's a really odd metric for a building height ordinance. How is it legal? We have height restrictions, I think, but the thing that limits our building height more than anything else is that all new construction has to withstand at least a 7.0 earthquake. Combine that with the expense of building on what used to literally be a swamp, and the idea of a tightly packed, tall, dense city just kind of fades away, in favor of cheap ugly architecture. 

Sorry. I was looking at google maps and shivering and thinking that Georgia might not be so bad, I'd just lose a lot of weight as I don't think I care much for southern food and I also don't eat much when it's hot. And hot sounds so nice as I sit in my house with limited heat. 

That's so crazy to me, I thought Charlotte was a big city, as I'd heard of it. 

• Upvote 1

Just over 47,000 ballots left to count in GA. Their Secretary of State (I believe) is speaking now - watching on CNN. I can't believe how close that state will end up, wow!

He's the Voting System Implementation Manager, lol. Just announced himself after speaking.

Edited by JoyfulSel
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

The heck?

Also - a judge wants the USPS to do some explaining over not doing ballot sweeps.

AND - Michigan lawsuit dismissed. (my guess - they'll appeal this)

• Thank You 13

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Pennsylvania isn't exactly the deep south and two....my friend's family immigrated after the civil war so the muh heritage stuff was even more ridiculous.

I see Confederate flags sometimes (I actually haven't in the last year or so) in Alaska. I always end up rolling my eyes, because ... WTF. Alaska wasn't a part of the union. The Civil War ended in 1865; Alaska was purchased from Russia in 1867. People who were born in Eagle River, Alaska, in the 1990s have no connection to the Confederacy, yet they will scream "HERITAGE" at you (usually via bumper sticker. I don't interact with them.) 

• Upvote 9

14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

York Co is where my late Trumper friend lived.  I knew people who had voted for Trump, but this guy was an off the rails Trumper and from what I could see on his FB page his local buddies were as well.

Lots of confederate flags amongst those people which is ridiculous because one, Pennsylvania isn't exactly the deep south and two....my friend's family immigrated after the civil war so the muh heritage stuff was even more ridiculous.

I have a great-whatever-grandfather who was a confederate solider who died in a Union POW camp and you don't see me sticking the stars and bars on my car.

I figure the only place the stars and bars belongs in that area is in certain locations on Gettysburg battlefield, to help illustrate key points of the three-day battle. Back of pickups? Nope. Flagpole in front of the house? Nope. On your Harley-Davidson jacket? Ugh, nope. Especially if, like most people displaying that flag there, you're a sixth/seventh/eighth generation York Countian with ZERO ties to the Old South. 

Speaking of great-whatever-grandfathers, I have a 3rd great who was wounded at Monocacy battle, taken prisoner by the Confederates, and later died in prison at Danville VA. I also have a few Confederate ancestors, one or two of which owned slaves, but yeah, no stars and bars on my bumper, either! I have some cousins who make up for my lack of belief in 'muh heritage,' though.  They voted for Trump, naturally. :roll:

*just want to  clarify that Gettysburg is in Adams, not York, County, but it's close enough that most everyone there is related some way to most everyone in York. LOL.

Edited by Loveday
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

41 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I’ve never been to the Carolinas, which is really odd because I think I’ve been to 43 of the 50 states. Anyhoo, we’ve had several friends from CA who have retired to NC. My niece and nephew are also thinking about relocating. My niece claims that the University areas are a lot like Northern CA, except with better seasonal changes.

If you visit let me know! There are some REALLY nice areas here. I live in a small town near Charlotte - we're three hours basically from beach or mountains, have all the amenities of the big city just a 15 minute drive away, and have a major airline hub right here so we can go anywhere. If we need "bigger city" stuff, Atlanta's maybe 4 hours drive from here. There are artsy small towns in the mountains (and mine is trying to get that way itself), and the weather is decent despite how much we complain in the summer. It's really a nice place to live, generally.

24 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

That's a really odd metric for a building height ordinance. How is it legal? We have height restrictions, I think, but the thing that limits our building height more than anything else is that all new construction has to withstand at least a 7.0 earthquake. Combine that with the expense of building on what used to literally be a swamp, and the idea of a tightly packed, tall, dense city just kind of fades away, in favor of cheap ugly architecture. 

Sorry. I was looking at google maps and shivering and thinking that Georgia might not be so bad, I'd just lose a lot of weight as I don't think I care much for southern food and I also don't eat much when it's hot. And hot sounds so nice as I sit in my house with limited heat. 

That's so crazy to me, I thought Charlotte was a big city, as I'd heard of it. 

The building height thing has to do with how historical Charleston is. Charleston gets a lot of tourism and their main draw is their long history, so no big tall buildings (kind of like how after that one big boxy building was built in Paris they made some restrictions about building heights so the Eiffel tower wouldn't just get swamped). And it's not that big a city anyway, population wise. 

Charlotte is pretty big. Per Wikipedia, it is: 

the 15th-most populous city in the U.S. and the second-largest in the Southeast behind Jacksonville, Florida. The city is the cultural, economic, and transportation center of the Charlotte metropolitan area, whose population ranks 23rd in the U.S., and had a population of 2,569,213, in 2018.[6] The Charlotte metropolitan area is part of a sixteen-county market region or combined statistical area with a 2018 census-estimated population of 2,728,933.[8]

Between 2004 and 2014, Charlotte was ranked as the country's fastest-growing metro area, with 888,000 new residents.[9] Based on U.S. Census data from 2005 to 2015, Charlotte tops the U.S. in millennial population growth.[10] It is the third-fastest-growing major city in the United States.

The metro area population is the important part - the population within the city limits doesn't accurately reflect numbers, because huge numbers of people work and socialize in the city but live in suburbs or small towns surrounding it. 

Charlotte isn't New York big, but it is pretty big, and growing quickly. 

This list might be useful for comparison of US city sizes. 

Edited by Alisamer
More info.
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Honestly I think everyone should be sworn in on the US constitution, after having been made to read and pass a test on it. Separation of church and state, y'all.

1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

My agree is for this part. There is no good reason other than tradition to have representatives in a nominally secular country swearing on a religious document.

I've never understood why people aren't sworn in on the constitution, either. That's always made the most sense to me, too and I'm glad to see more people are choosing non-Bibles!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

From the other thread- Grover Cleveland is the only president who served in two non-consecutive terms. He was the 22nd and 24th president, with Benjamin Harrison in the middle.

Also, as I remember, no one can be president for more than 10 years period that is 2 four year terms or taking office with less than 2 years left and then you can have your own two four year terms.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

12 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Just leaving this here. 

They need to take this stuff seriously and start tracing calls and bringing charges for the threats.  I am so over this, we need to go zero tolerance on intimidation tactics.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 21

The rats are fleeing the ship.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Is he still in the country?

My money is on someone having sedated him so he can get a little sleep and they can get a break from his meltdown.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 3

Oh sweet Rufus! This is torture.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1

Just now, fraurosena said:

Oh sweet Rufus! This is torture.

Something fucky is going on in NV.  

Idk what but my spidey sense is tingling that they're playing some kind of waiting game and I'm not getting that sense from GA or PA.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9

They're probably not counting votes they're playing minesweeper

15 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

The rats are fleeing the ship.

Did Trump ask him to do something heinous?

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, OldFadedStar said:

So, I lived in Charleston, SC for a few years and I know it sounds like a large city it really isn't. They have a law there that no building can be taller than highest church steeple.. so the max stories in most buildings is around 8ish. Most buildings in downtown Charleston aren't any higher than 3 stories so it can't be nearly as populous. Columbia is the other larger city and even then it isn't even as much of a city as you see with Charlotte, NC. 

Yeah I'm from Charleston originally and it is really small compared to cities like Charlotte or Raleigh. I remember being in awe of the skyscrapers in Charlotte the first time I went. Charleston's population is about 100,000 compared to Charlotte's 800,000 and despite being blue for the presidential election, they just unseated their Democrat House Representative. SC is an interesting mix of mostly red with blue only in poor, high minority areas and in big cities. North Carolina is definitely thought of as the more hippie state of the two, especially with Asheville and the Research Triangle.

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, thoughtful said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/upshot/network-race-call-tracker.html

For anyone still confused about all the differences in what is reported and "called," I again recommend this site. I know a few other people have posted it, as well. All we are seeing is what news outlets are reporting, based on counts they have gotten from sources in states and counties. None of is decided, just projected based on information. Assuming everyone is being honest and accurate, it may be a good picture of what is happening, but no official government decisions are involved.

Here's a screen shot of what is being said now, which is how it has looked for about 24 hours, I think:

image.thumb.png.9d26780c13da59bd58a2dc5e5b9d5502.png

ABC Australia is following the 264/214 line. I get more worried by the not called numbers.

2 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

The Constitution is what they should really use, since they're taking the oath to support and defend it. If I were in that position, I'd try to be sure my hand was clearly on the First Amendment itself. Most Trump supporters would completely fail the US citizenship test.

As well as a security clearance a basic test of what the institutions are and how they work. Can't be that hard, right? I mean the immigrants pass it.. /s

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

It could also be Georgia. 

Hoping both. ASAP.

• Upvote 9

According to the NYT, Nevada allows any candidate to request a recount.  While I'm not at all happy with waiting, I'm guessing they want to make sure all their ducks are in a row. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 10

Rufus, the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Cthulhu joined forces and gave me a vision where Biden wins, so there!  :neener:

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 5
  • Haha 6

Sorry Franky - I've been praying too - for the country's delivery of evil Donald Trump and from modern day Pharisees.

The 253 count at ABC News includes Michigan.  (also waiting on Trump's obvious recount request)

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

• Destiny locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic