IGNORED

2020 Election Results 3: The Longest Episode of Democracy Ever

Destiny

2 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

One of the republicans main arguments is that the democrats use dead people to vote. That sounds outrageous to me..

I don't have time to post sources now but this was a huge issue back in the day in Chicago.  It was a huge issue in the Kennedy-Nixon election.

I lied - found one basic source of some history.  FYI for those of you unfamiliar the term "Chicago Machine" refers to the political cesspit of what was one of the most corrupt governments in the US.  Chicago is known for "vote early, vote often, and vote from the grave."

Gradel and Simpson's Corrupt Illinois (2015) provides the data behind Chicago's corrupt political culture. They found that a tabulation of federal public corruption convictions make Chicago "undoubtedly the most corrupt city in our nation", with the cost of corruption "at least" $500 million per year.

It is still insanely corrupt, but candidates don't bomb each others homes anymore so there's that.

Modern era voting methods have severely curtailed voter fraud as I understand it, but there was a time it was so common here elections had little to do with actual voters and more to do with which side had more fraud savvy.  

So yes, dead people were routinely used to pad votes and in Chicago and other parts of Illinois.  I absolutely believe if something can be corrupt it will be in Chicago but as we went blue this time and Chicago is such a heavily blue area there is no reason to dispute this election.

In the late 1800s we even had the Trump prototype as our govenor

Joseph W. Fifer, who asserted in pre-trial hearings, that the governorship has the divine right of kings.[5]

• WTF 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

15 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Tabloid actually tells the truth. Love it. 

Well, it is 2020...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 17

12 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't have time to post sources now but this was a huge issue back in the day in Chicago.  It was a huge issue in the Kennedy-Nixon election.

I lied - found one basic source of some history.  FYI for those of you unfamiliar the term "Chicago Machine" refers to the political cesspit of what was one of the most corrupt governments in the US.  Chicago is known for "vote early, vote often, and vote from the grave."

It is still insanely corrupt, but candidates don't bomb each others homes anymore so there's that.

Modern era voting methods have severely curtailed voter fraud as I understand it, but there was a time it was so common here elections had little to do with actual voters and more to do with which side had more fraud savvy.  

So yes, dead people were routinely used to pad votes and in Chicago and other parts of Illinois.  I absolutely believe if something can be corrupt it will be in Chicago but as we went blue this time and Chicago is such a heavily blue area there is no reason to dispute this election.

In the late 1800s we even had the Trump prototype as our govenor

This was true in the past, but even the president's own commission on voter fraud was disbanded because they found nothing in 2016. There is no pervasive voter fraud in this country. A few people will vote fraudulently and be caught, just like every election, but the republicans themselves admit that voter fraud is NOT pervasive. There's a ton of writing and research on the topic. 

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, Casserole said:

This isn't *actually* funny because it's our reality, but please join me in watching this clip. I absolutely lost it and cannot stop laughing.. mostly due to lack of sleep, anxiety levels, and my blood volume is prob 40% CBD/THC... but the memes just write themselves. You cannot make this shit up. 

This is about 3 years old I think, during the Moore/Jones special election in Alabama.  I remember it well.  I was simultaneously laughing my ass off and feeling embarrassed that people in my state are that damned ignorant.

• Upvote 6

Off topic:  This discussion is moving so fast it leaves JRod in the dust. She would be so jealous 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 17

Whilst Australian media has called AZ and is saying Biden is at 264, I’m not counting it yet ... but I think I’m going to assume NV is safe. So that would give Biden 259, correct? 

What are his best chances of another state being likely? How likely do you think that a win is in that particular state? Speculation here is that it could be PA, but I see the numbers show Trump ahead at them moment. However, lots still to be counted and most are probably Democrat.

Juat playing with probabilities to ease my anxieties! 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

This was true in the past, but even the president's own commission on voter fraud was disbanded because they found nothing in 2016. There is no pervasive voter fraud in this country. A few people will vote fraudulently and be caught, just like every election, but the republicans themselves admit that voter fraud is NOT pervasive. There's a ton of writing and research on the topic. 

That's the problem. It's writing and research, two things Trump and his "base" disdain. The dumber of his followers would believe anything he said, no matter how ridiculous, and he is clearly barely literate. 

Truth doesn't matter to them. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

17 minutes ago, Destiny said:

?

Rufus bless, now the ad algorithm is taking shots at Trump. This is the ad I have underneath Destiny's post:

Spoiler

image.png.f3569be5e5eb05635554d15491a4b72f.png

Bless his pointy little head, both of them. :evil-laugh:

Edited by Cartmann99
Destiny and Buffy are two different people, and I can't spell.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 13

1 minute ago, adidas said:

Whilst Australian media has called AZ and is saying Biden is at 264, I’m not counting it yet ... but I think I’m going to assume NV is safe. So that would give Biden 259, correct? 

What are his best chances of another state being likely? How likely do you think that a win is in that particular state? Speculation here is that it could be PA, but I see the numbers show Trump ahead at them moment. However, lots still to be counted and most are probably Democrat.

Juat playing with probabilities to ease my anxieties! 

My money is on PA. There are a lot of uncounted ballots there, and Biden is a native son.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

23 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

That's the problem. It's writing and research, two things Trump and his "base" disdain. The dumber of his followers would believe anything he said, no matter how ridiculous, and he is clearly barely literate. 

Truth doesn't matter to them. 

Sad fact. Like I said, there will be people who try to get away with shenanigans just like a few people try every election, but it's not a massive pervasive issue. People, democrat, republican, or independent have been looking since this OMGFRAUD crap started and the number of actual fraudulent votes and people who were sent to jail is very low. A lot of the OMGFRAUD memes going around are actually clerical or data errors. The one linked earlier in this thread could have been shenanigans, or it could have been some other person with the same name whose record was accidentally merged with this one or some other completely not-nefarious reason.

ETA relevant link: https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/analysis/Briefing_Memo_Debunking_Voter_Fraud_Myth.pdf

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 11

1 hour ago, OldFadedStar said:

I screenshot what I put in and what I got. 
I’m not blaming anyone on either side about this... but this is one of the arguments im seeing from pro trump people and I don’t have an answer for this 

C29FD1CA-D89C-4D90-BEB1-B3FDBDB9EB3A.jpeg

CCFDC50C-D781-402B-99F3-4438E93FF67F.jpeg

I wonder if it's an automated system mix-up? Spitballing, but a previous job had us running credit reports. More than once, the automated system produced a report for the wrong person: name and address correct, SSN and DOB wrong, because it pulled a family member with a similar name living at that address instead of the person we were looking for. Usually happened with fathers and sons and we'd have to rerun it.

51 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Ah, now there is a list to play with. Let me see . . . possibilites . . . Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Handmaid's Tale, a music book of Mozart piano sonatas, God is Not Great, The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind (just for the fun of hearing newscasters have to say it as they covered my inauguration), Pat the Bunny . . .

ETA - the Mozart would be my serious choice, of course. ?

Good Omens? 

39 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Honestly I think everyone should be sworn in on the US constitution, after having been made to read and pass a test on it. Separation of church and state, y'all.

My agree is for this part. There is no good reason other than tradition to have representatives in a nominally secular country swearing on a religious document.

(Not saying you're not right about him getting off because he's a white man...)

• Upvote 4

It looks like Trump has lost Twitter. This might be the worst hit of all to his narcissistic soul.

image.png.fdbac030fbff2b612dba5345ce4f0d0d.png

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 13
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 6

Oh how I wish there was a live feed with sound on trump now. He must  be in absolute meltdown. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 18

From Nate Silver at 538 just now:

The large number of votes that Pennsylvania says are still left to count, 550,000, is very bad news for Trump in the state, although Biden could likely have closed the gap even with a smaller number.

Pennsylvania Secretary of State Kelly Boockvar tells @CNN that the state will have the “overwhelming majority” of ballots counted today. We may know today whether Biden or Trump won the state.
*550,000 ballots are left to count.
*“It’s looking like we’re ahead of schedule." pic.twitter.com/08B8CTdEwT

— Jim Roberts (@nycjim) November 5, 2020

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 11
  • Love 3

Trump's lead in Georgia shrank to 13,540, with approximately 50,000 votes to count. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 10

PA says they should be done counting their votes tonight, other than the 35K they can't do till tomorrow I guess. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

34 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Good Omens? 

Good choice.

Chicago was known for rampant voter fraud, but that was a very long time ago. I rarely am happy when one of my jokes falls flat, but, when Barack Obama first ran for president, and people would worry that bigots wouldn't vote for a black man, I would say "Never mind his race - he's from Chicago!"

Got a laugh from older folks and history buffs, and a blank stare from everyone else. I was fine with that.

There's a fair amount in popular culture about the bad old days of political machines - the Musical Fiorello (NY, not Chicago), for example.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, State of the Union, and probably many more, portray some of the old shenanigans.

Trump wants to go back to all of that, but only if it benefits him.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I think Biden taking PA is more likely based on the number of votes left and where they’re coming from. GA will be really close either way!

• I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Casserole said:

This isn't *actually* funny because it's our reality, but please join me in watching this clip. I absolutely lost it and cannot stop laughing.. mostly due to lack of sleep, anxiety levels, and my blood volume is prob 40% CBD/THC... but the memes just write themselves. You cannot make this shit up. 

:laughing-rolling: The only thing I will see today (hopefully today!) that's better than this is the number 270 next to Biden's name!

2 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I just fell in a little bit more love with Jake Tapper.

I've had a little crush on Jake Tapper for months now. ?

• Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, GeraldineGrainger said:

From Nate Silver at 538 just now:

The large number of votes that Pennsylvania says are still left to count, 550,000, is very bad news for Trump in the state, although Biden could likely have closed the gap even with a smaller number.

And I see that the estimated number counted in Philadelphia is still only 85% - Phillie votes will mostly be for Biden, I hope.

Bucks county seems to have flipped from red to blue, too.

Edited by thoughtful
shhh - don't tell my cousins I misspelled Philadelphia!
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 5

Is it wrong that I'm kind of sad that the Menace is eschewing twitter right now? I'm starting to get a little excited for a call in the evening, and gods dammit, if I've had to read his toilet musings for 4.5 years on twitter, I should get to enjoy the glorious meltdown.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 9

2 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

And I see that the estimated number counted in Philadelphia is still only 85% - Phillie votes will mostly be for Biden, I hope.

Bucks county seems to have flipped from red to blue, too.

I have family in Bucks county. ❤️ 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I have family in Bucks county. ❤️ 

Thank them for me if they voted for Biden!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

• Destiny locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic