IGNORED

2020 Election Results And Post-Election Day Discussion Part 2

GreyhoundFan

Welp, as an independent voter, I’m not surprised that it’s this close.

Biden is just not an inspiring candidate. Most moderate voters and many POC voting for him are against Trump vs. voting for him. Had the Republicans fielded a legit moderate candidate, I would not have voted for Biden. I’m white, but I’m sick of voting for old white dudes. 

If Dems want a blue wave, they need to field better candidates that moderates and POC can genuinely feel good about voting for. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

C'MON MICHIGAN!! CMON!!  I am a Michigan resident of 5 yrs, and sent in my mail in ballot in mid October.  Even though our electoral college is fucked, it is still very satisfying to me, to see that my vote is very much counting here.   (I kind of feel like i'm at a horse race, haha.....run Michigan run!! lol) ? 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 9

3 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Biden is just not an inspiring candidate. Most moderate voters and many POC voting for him are against Trump vs. voting for him. Had the Republicans fielded a legit moderate candidate, I would not have voted for Biden. I’m white, but I’m sick of voting for old white dudes. 

If Dems want a blue wave, they need to field better candidates that moderates and POC can genuinely feel good about voting for. 

I agree. I feel like if dems had known during the primaries what we know now about how the pandemic would shake out, the results might have been different. Joe made a hell of an effort to cover the biggest progressive concerns without alienating the moderates. I just don't think it was enough for some people. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Unaffiliated here.  I will confess that my vote was, indeed, a vote against Trump.  4 years ago I was behind "her" - I am not behind "him." 

My sister - in Georgia said she voted libertarian. 

Just now, Destiny said:

Is he drunk?

He's a man baby who thought he'd be doing a victory lap this morning and is now rage tweeting because he didn't get his way.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

7 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Unaffiliated here.  I will confess that my vote was, indeed, a vote against Trump.  4 years ago I was behind "her" - I am not behind "him." 

Same for both tbh. I'm a democrat, but I was not excited for Hillary, and I am not excited about Biden. That said, excitement is irrelevant when the Orange Menace is on the ballot. I would have voted for a can of generic brand tomato soup for president over hiring someone who is clearly a racist sexist asshole. He showed us who he was four years ago, and I thought we just didn't believe him then. Now we know for sure, and he's still possibly going to win and it's fucking horrifying. 

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8

28 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I feel the same way.

image.png.8bd94e770d0714d3881ba0f8e3c6d5d7.png

Yes! THIS is exactly why it’s so sickening to me.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 3

We have to remember that the path to the presidency typically starts in the state house, the governor's mansion, and/or Congress. Unfortunately more States have Republican representation in these three areas than what they have democratic representation. This means that we are not getting as large a pool of people with the experience to contend for the presidency (Trump is kind of an anomaly, having not held public office before). we talk about wanting more strong Democratic candidates but until we win these other three areas we aren't going to have as many strong Democratic candidates.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I'm one of those who only voted against Trump, as Biden wasn't even my first or second choice. Neither was Bernie. Right now, Arizona and Nevada are both leaning towards Biden, and Nevada went for Clinton in 2016.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

We have to remember that the path to the presidency typically starts in the state house, the governor's mansion, and/or Congress. Unfortunately more States have Republican representation in these three areas than what they have democratic representation. This means that we are not getting as large a pool of people with the experience to contend for the presidency (Trump is kind of an anomaly, having not held public office before). we talk about wanting more strong Democratic candidates but until we win these other three areas we aren't going to have as many strong Democratic candidates.

I don’t know. Trump, in a way, has layed some groundwork here that supports the notion that anyone over age 35 and with enough money, can become POTUS. If Trump had lost last night by great numbers, I might feel like a Trump presidency was an anomaly, but clearly experience (and character) do not matter to 50% of our populace.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

Is Marco okay? Where's the Bible verse?

Trump campaign confident in a pathway to victory

The Trump campaign argued to reporters on a conference call Wednesday that President Trump is in a “very, very, very good position” to win the election as the votes continue to be counted in key battleground states. 

First, some context: CNN has not projected a winner in nine states across the country — Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Maine, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Votes are still being counted, and there is still a pathway to victory for both President Trump and Joe Biden

The Trump campaign is arguing that mail-in ballots still to be counted will break in Trump’s favor. That directly contradicts the President’s assertion overnight that ballots should stop being counted. Again, the ballots still being counted are perfectly legal. The campaign believes they will win Arizona by a narrow margin, as well as Pennsylvania. 

“We are confident on our pathway. We are confident in our math. We are viewing some of these races as math equations,” campaign manager Bill Stepien said, adding, “We project with confidence because of the math we believe is in front of us.” 

He claimed without evidence that Democrats are “pushing to count late ballots” because “if we count all legal ballots, we win.”

Wisconsin, Stepien said, is a “tight race within one percent,” which, he said, is “recount territory.”

In Michigan, he said there are outlying Republican counties and they are “confident in a pathway that includes Michigan.” 

In Nevada, “late breaking math helps us in Nevada.” 

The campaign continued to push back on Arizona, which has been called by some other outlets in favor of Biden. CNN has not made a projection in Arizona. 

“Late arriving votes cast closest to election day are the ones being counted now,” Stepien said, adding that they expect about half a million votes left to be counted, and between 2/3 and 70% of those ballots “are coming to the President.”

“That math adds up to a margin of around 30,000 votes in the president’s favor,” Stepien said, adding that Arizona “will come the president’s way.”

In Pennsylvania, Stepien said, they also believe remaining ballots will “exceed the splits we’ve seen to this point.” 

The call just wrapped with no questions.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

It is so nice to see more faces in the political threads. I hope you drop in on us more often, no matter who wins the next four years. I can say, we are a lovely and welcoming bunch. We don't even have discussions about duvets!

• Haha 12
  • Love 9

3 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

It is so nice to see more faces in the political threads. I hope you drop in on us more often, no matter who wins the next four years. I can say, we are a lovely and welcoming bunch. We don't even have discussions about duvets!

I can't stomach politics most days. I watch. I pay attention. I just can't discuss it. My anxiety won't take it. 

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

That's actually a fairly reasonable tweet from Marco.  Maybe he's secretly a Biden man after running against Trump in 2016 primaries and being on the receiving end of Trump's nastiness.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Trump campaign confident in a pathway to victory

Just now, clueliss said:

Now that you mention it - I haven't seen the Little Josh Hawley verse o' the day

Does this mean the Republican powers are slightly forgetting their thin veneer of Christianity that appeals to Evangelicals? The veneer is as thin as gold plating, and they've got the Evangelicals because of the abortion issue.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I've brought the raspberry orange mimosas

image.png.148850270f0c4fae1d47baca11e40f2d.png

I have questions about this delicious looking drink.  

What is on the rim? I've never seen that before. My prefered mimosa recipe has a much different ratio of orange to champagne. ?But wow, I've never thought of raspberries before and this looks amazing! 

• Upvote 1

This dismissal of mail in ballots is pissing me off. 
I’ve done mail in ballots for the past three elections because my husband was military. They were never counted until a week later regardless of when I sent them. 

I do believe that they will be counted faster this year because of how many there w however if they weren’t even allowed to do anything with them until yesterday then it’s gonna take a minute to count them 

Trump threatening legal action for the mail in ballots is DUMB 

Edited by OldFadedStar
Typo
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

So, hoping that Biden wins, if he gets to nominate one or more Supreme Court justices, will this mean that Mitch McTurtle refuses to bring the nomination to any votes because there will be an election in less than four years?

I'm thinking totally dystopian now, but not out of the realm of possibility.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

And they need to figure out what is happening with Latinos (and could start by cutting out the "Latinx" stuff). A huge number of Latino voters are moving right, and under Trump of all people. White people actually moved in the direction of Biden. 

I do think, these results show that any Dem candidate but Biden would have been hammered tonight. Dems gotta figure this out before 2024. 

It looks like Biden has this though. Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, and Nevada can all be safely called at this point I think. Does anyone know why Maine hasn't been called? Biden has a 12 pt lead with 75% of the vote counted. 

It's not the rout I wanted, but Biden has done well at each state level. 

Pennsylvania very well might go red. Do you guys think the fracking comments hurt Biden that much?

Also seems to be a non-pipe dream possibility that Georgia flips blue. They have a ton of Atlanta mail in ballots still to count and Trump's lead is small. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Yup, another one here who voted for Biden only as an anti-Trump vote. 

Same.  I'm in California and registered as Green Party.  Knowing that California is not a swing state and will safely give its EC votes to the Democratic candidate, I normally vote Green or other 3rd-party, just to make the point on principle that third parties should have more strength in the whole election process, starting with funding available for their campaigns and inclusion in the debates etc.

Not this year.  Straight blue on my ballot.  I'm not for or against Biden (though Kamala would break some glass ceilings that would be pretty damn exciting, all else aside).  I've been thinking of Biden as a sort of palate-cleanser after the last buffoon-in-chief.

• Upvote 12

I like Biden, but I'm an old fart and I get that younger voters wouldn't find him all that inspiring.

But, for those of you who voted for Biden only as a vote against Trump (and no judgement for that), did you find being able to vote for Kamala as VP somewhat inspiring?

• I Agree 6

1 hour ago, DaisyD said:

Not nothing exactly. Biden would still have veto power and the senate would then have to pass things with a larger majority to override the veto. If the senate is close to even, they'd have a hard time doing that. 

And the President makes a huge difference on the international stage. And Dems still have the House. 

And if the President and the House keep trying to pass pandemic aid packages and the Republicans in the Senate keep holding them up, that will look really bad for Rs. Especially in the 2022 mid terms. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Same.  I'm in California and registered as Green Party.  Knowing that California is not a swing state and will safely give its EC votes to the Democratic candidate, I normally vote Green or other 3rd-party, just to make the point on principle that third parties should have more strength in the whole election process, starting with funding available for their campaigns and inclusion in the debates etc.

Not this year.  Straight blue on my ballot.  I'm not for or against Biden (though Kamala would break some glass ceilings that would be pretty damn exciting, all else aside).  I've been thinking of Biden as a sort of palate-cleanser after the last buffoon-in-chief.

Was Jesse Ventura your Green Party Candidate? So weird. We didn't have Democrats for House or Senate run, so I voted for the Independent Candidates in those elections. Not to be confused (but I'm sure it was) with the "Alaska Independence Party" which is completely different and actually growing in numbers. 

• Destiny locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic