IGNORED

M is for Mama 9: Mom of Ten, Dislikes Them All

nelliebelle1197

We have a tumble dryer in my house. We have a ‘utility room’, which is just off the kitchen. We did once have a washing line but we don’t use it anymore. The weather is just too unpredictable here, I can’t imagine putting a load of washing out to dry and then having it pour with rain!

• Upvote 2

We have a dryer, but only use it for ever once in a while. When we something quickly for example or when there is a lot of laundry that needs to be done. We have a drying rack (is that a word??!) and use that most of the time to spend money on energy costs and because a lot of our clothes wouldn't enjoy a ride in the dryer.

• Upvote 2

I have a clothes line (well, two actually - one set under cover, one not), a clothes horse and a dryer which get used in roughly that order. I'm loving the weather right now which means I can hang out a load and know it'll be dry in a couple of hours. Even in winter it's rare to not get clothes pretty dry over a day. Mid-summer of course I can hang them out and they're dry in an hour. I mostly use the dryer when we've had several days of heavy rain, and I've run out of room on the undercover lines and the clothes horse. 

• Upvote 2

We have our machines in the downstairs bathroom, which is the norm here in Sweden if you don’t have a laundry room. A couple of years ago, we moved our everyday clothes to a family closet next to the bathroom, and the rarely used/off season clothes are upstairs in the bedrooms. Very convenient and highly recommended!

• Upvote 5

Braggie the covidiot is still at it.  Taking an overnight trip to Dallas with Della and the babies.  Staying in a hotel and eating at a restaurant.  While cases skyrocket and every expert out there is screaming FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY HOME.  

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 13

9 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

Braggie the covidiot is still at it.  Taking an overnight trip to Dallas with Della and the babies.  Staying in a hotel and eating at a restaurant.  While cases skyrocket and every expert out there is screaming FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY HOME.  

One of these days a child from one of these families is going to die from covid. I wonder if all of them will start taking it seriously then! 

• Upvote 8

14 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

My laundry room is on the second floor with the bedrooms. This is the second house for me with this arrangement. I love it. 

My sister followed my advice when building her new house - I print lots of floor plans for home builders and I kept noticing the vast majority of them had the master closet sharing a wall with the laundry room... but with no pass through between. WHY?!?! The laundry lives in the closet, why carry it through the whole house to and from the laundry room? The laundry area was always in the farthest possible place away from the bedrooms! So my sister had her house plan modified with a pocket door between her big master closet and the laundry room. 

My house has a laundry closet - also in the farthest place possible from where I need it to be. It does, however, share a wall with the half-bath attached to my bedroom. Unfortunately I think there is plumbing in that wall - if there wasn't I'd cut a window between to toss the clothes through!

10 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

We have a tumble dryer in my house. We have a ‘utility room’, which is just off the kitchen. We did once have a washing line but we don’t use it anymore. The weather is just too unpredictable here, I can’t imagine putting a load of washing out to dry and then having it pour with rain!

I grew up in a house with a utility room with the laundry appliances (and spare freezer) in it. It opened into the carport though. When we were little we called it the "tilty room".

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

32 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

My sister followed my advice when building her new house - I print lots of floor plans for home builders and I kept noticing the vast majority of them had the master closet sharing a wall with the laundry room... but with no pass through between. WHY?!?! The laundry lives in the closet, why carry it through the whole house to and from the laundry room? The laundry area was always in the farthest possible place away from the bedrooms! So my sister had her house plan modified with a pocket door between her big master closet and the laundry room. 

My house has a laundry closet - also in the farthest place possible from where I need it to be. It does, however, share a wall with the half-bath attached to my bedroom. Unfortunately I think there is plumbing in that wall - if there wasn't I'd cut a window between to toss the clothes through!

I grew up in a house with a utility room with the laundry appliances (and spare freezer) in it. It opened into the carport though. When we were little we called it the "tilty room".

I think people do it due to the noise of the washer and dryer. The noise of our machines will annoy my kids when they are in the basement playing computer games or watching tv. However the noise wouldn’t bother me in a master closet since I could just shut the closet door. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think people do it due to the noise of the washer and dryer. The noise of our machines will annoy my kids when they are in the basement playing computer games or watching tv. However the noise wouldn’t bother me in a master closet since I could just shut the closet door. 

I could see that - but most of these house plans have closets and bathrooms each bigger than my whole kitchen in between the actual bedroom and laundry area. Like master bedroom - huge bathroom - huge closet - then laundry room but with no connection to the closet. 

I have noticed in the past year they are starting to add "optional pass through" doors on some of them. 

I just know if I was to come into money and build a house, the master closet would absolutely connect to the laundry room. It is a small thing but it would improve my life a ton I think!  Being able to get dressed and undressed right there where the laundry is cleaned would eliminate the "floordrobe" I sometimes end up with when my depression rears up. Or at least put it in a place I could close the door on it.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Two of my aunts had their laundry rooms on the main floor near the kitchen, and I thought that was brilliant. I always swore I’d have the same in my own house, and did. My resolve was strengthened after I fell down the cellar stairs of my apartment when I was 8.5 months  pregnant (no injuries—I landed butt-first in a big spring-mounted wicker Victorian pram). 
My cousin had her laundry room on the second floor where the bedrooms were, and that was an even better idea.

I think the perfect setup would be laundry room—>walk-in closet—>master bedroom, all connected by doors.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

7 minutes ago, Hane said:

Two of my aunts had their laundry rooms on the main floor near the kitchen, and I thought that was brilliant. I always swore I’d have the same in my own house, and did. My resolve was strengthened after I fell down the cellar stairs of my apartment when I was 8.5 months  pregnant (no injuries—I landed butt-first in a big spring-mounted wicker Victorian pram). 
My cousin had her laundry room on the second floor where the bedrooms were, and that was an even better idea.

I think the perfect setup would be laundry room—>walk-in closet—>master bedroom, all connected by doors.

In our current home, we originally had our appliances in the garage. When I started having tachycardic episodes that zapped me of energy, I could no longer handle hauling laundry down 2 flights of stairs, so we enclosed a balcony off of a bedroom which also connected to a bathroom. We now have 2 laundry areas. I’ve never had an upstairs laundry before, but I love it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

How very special of her to lavish attention on this ONE child, yet she purposely gave birth on the twins birthday (that they already share with each other) and now have forever made the double twins birthday a celebrated group event. 

• Upvote 8

I have a walk in closet, and the best thing we did was get a laundry horse that expands off its back wall. No more cumbersomely setting it up in the middle of the living room! Laundry can dry AND we can have guests over without underwear dangling next to our couch lol. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Zommom said:

...yet she purposely gave birth on the twins birthday...

Wait, what? I missed that.  Did she have a planned c-section or induction to make it happen?

Edited by Giraffe
Adding words

51 minutes ago, Zommom said:

How very special of her to lavish attention on this ONE child, yet she purposely gave birth on the twins birthday (that they already share with each other) and now have forever made the double twins birthday a celebrated group event. 

And to take the babies on the special solo trip in a pandemic--how insane are these people? She obviously has no problem telling her kids no when it suits her, so why in the world couldn't she postpone this? What an idiot. 

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Wait, what? I missed that.  Did she have a planned c-section or induction to make it happen?

She planned her induction to happen on her older set of twins’ 8th birthday. Because having two sets of identical twins on the same day 8 years apart makes her extra special.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She planned her induction to happen on her older set of twins’ 8th birthday. Because having two sets of identical twins on the same day 8 years apart makes her extra special.

Ok, that’s a seriously shitty thing to do. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

53 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

I have a walk in closet, and the best thing we did was get a laundry horse that expands off its back wall. No more cumbersomely setting it up in the middle of the living room! Laundry can dry AND we can have guests over without underwear dangling next to our couch lol. 

I had to look up laundry horse, I hadn’t heard it called that, although I’m familiar with drying racks. On the Wikipedia page it mentioned a drying cabinet so I looked that up. That’s handy! I’m spoiled with a dryer but if I had the space and money I would like a drying cabinet too.

• Upvote 2

I would love an actual laundry horse. A lovely horse that carries all my clean laundry to bedrooms and puts it away. Unfortunately I’m the current laundry horse in this house. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 33
  • Love 1

How do you keep your clothes soft and pliable with air drying? I’d love to do more of that. 

Poor Della, what a lame trip. If it’s a big thing to do a solo trip at 10, I’m not sure Dallas with two tiny infants is a big whoop. Abbie hates being home as much as JRod. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

Our washer and dryer are in the unfinished section of our basement (it's half finished/half not) where we store holiday decorations, luggage, random crap, etc. Someone who lived in the house before us installed 5 or 6 clothes lines from the ceiling in one corner- it's SO convenient! Super easy to hang stuff that I don't want to go in the dryer. I already had a floor drying rack so that went under the hanging lines.

I do worry about carrying laundry down the narrow-ish stairs when I am older (or even now when I let the hamper get too full!). I'm prettttty convinced that the closet in our bathroom is positioned right over the washer, or at least right to it. Now I just need to convince my fiance to cut a hole in our floor for a bit of makeshift laundry shoot :)

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

How do you keep your clothes soft and pliable with air drying? I’d love to do more of that. 

Poor Della, what a lame trip. If it’s a big thing to do a solo trip at 10, I’m not sure Dallas with two tiny infants is a big whoop. Abbie hates being home as much as JRod. 

Jill also likes to take trips with her current baby and a girl old enough to watch the baby. I’m sure that’s why Della came along. As a babysitter so Braggie could enjoy her trip more. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, kmachete14 said:

You don’t have any mold issues? That sounds super convenient but I’d be worried about the moisture trapped in the closet. Unless of course your walk-in closet has a window?

Re these Covidiots gallivanting around in the middle of a pandemic: Fuck you, Braggie. You and everyone like you are literally the reason sane people can’t have nice things. Like holidays with our loved ones. 

• Upvote 3

Our local paper used to have/might still have a weekly real estate insert(I haven’t gotten it in years).  There was once an ad for a mobile home boasting a “first-floor laundry.”
Umm, hello?  It’s a trailer.  Where else are gonna put it, on the roof?

(And yes, I know that a few of them do have basements.)

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

On 11/19/2020 at 3:54 PM, LorEl said:

My guess is that most people have basement laundry because of a possible water damage. I don't know anybody that has a house and no basement laundry. 

Water damage would definitely be my concern, especially if we're talking second floor (in the US). The higher the appliances, the more floors the water can damage on its way down.

I've seen, mm, one house with the washer on the upper floor. And that house was very weirdly laid out to start with.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic