IGNORED

Pet Insurance

HarryPotterFan

Little miss kitty was recently diagnosed with asthma. I had no idea cats could get asthma. The medication costs almost $300 without insurance. Which is insane. And super typical of this country. With open season coming up I looked up some options. My dad qualifies for USAA (my mom and grandma would too), and they offer pet insurance. I’m a federal employee and I can get her insurance through that. She’s technically my fur sibling, not my fur baby, if that’s a factor to consider. I love her so much. I want to call her my best friend but I don’t want to upsets fluffy kitty or my human friends.

Does anyone have experience with pet insurance?

I don’t usually post my babies on the internet (because I’m not their mom, lol, I’m their sister mom) but here is the cat tax

Spoiler

Here she is snuggling my arm

AB4C3869-9EC7-4F82-A982-DE3993D01005.thumb.jpeg.ee183b30e8a1e72d108cf576c818b5c3.jpeg

Here is her brother, the majestic floof

275A67F4-519C-4793-AD8B-AF5A3E11B24A.thumb.jpeg.eb125aadfdb5e964bb4a79cda8a94b66.jpeg

USAA info: https://mobile.usaa.com/inet/wc/pet-insurance

Fed employee info: https://benefits.petinsurance.com/federal-employee-service-program

• Love 3

Not all pet insurance companies will cover pre-existing conditions so it's important to make sure you find one that would cover asthma. 

I don't have any personal experience using pet insurance but it's usefulness depends. My dad's dog is covered and recently needed about $1500 worth of care. It was pretty much a wash for my dad because of the prior years he's paid the monthly premium. In the end it would've been cheaper for him if he'd put the monthly premium into a bank account every month since getting his sweet dog. I have other relatives though who swear by it and it's been helpful for them. 

I think it's a matter of figuring out how much the cost will be with insurance (so, the premium + the amount per month that's not covered) and then how much without.

• Upvote 4