IGNORED

2020 Election Results And Election Day Discussion

fraurosena

I'm expecting us to not know.  Some states are allowing mail in ballots to come in after today.  If any of them are close, then it will be a while before final results. 

I both want to watch results and am afraid to watch results at the same time.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 11

So anxious. I'm trying to avoid news coverage, because I know we won't know for sure until tomorrow at the earliest, but my stomach is cramping like mad all day today. Mr. NQ is working the polls, so I don't even know when I'll see him tonight. I really desperately want to open the wine, but I've still got four hours until I can start the bedtime routine.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I'm expecting us to not know.  Some states are allowing mail in ballots to come in after today.  If any of them are close, then it will be a while before final results. 

I both want to watch results and am afraid to watch results at the same time.

I expect us to not know too, and I DEFINITELY don't expect to know anything useful for hours, and yet ...

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

10 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Is anyone else completely incapable of working today? I can't seem to focus on anything but CNN, even though I know we won't know a damned thing for a few more hours.

My daughter, who lives in Pennsylvania, says she’s not even pretending to work, but is eating gummy bears.  We are retired, but are rotating nonstop between CNN and other news outlets instead of doing whatever it is we usually do all day.  I’m glad FJ is here. ❤️ 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

I’m in Australia and I know there are a lot of time zones in the US ... can anyone please give an estimate (eg in 3 hours) that voting closes and counting might start? Any ideas when a result might be known? It’s Wednesday 8.15am here, so saying ‘results on Wednesday’ will confuse me haha! Thanks!

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

10 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

I’m glad FJ is here. ❤️ 

Me too. Either for a celebration for waking up from this nightmare, or a shoulder to weep on. ❤️

3 minutes ago, adidas said:

I’m in Australia and I know there are a lot of time zones in the US ... can anyone please give an estimate (eg in 3 hours) that voting closes and counting might start? Any ideas when a result might be known? It’s Wednesday 8.15am here, so saying ‘results on Wednesday’ will confuse me haha! Thanks!

CNN has the first exit polls in a little under an hour. However, most of the country won't have finished voting. Here's a helpful link. 

https://www.270towin.com/poll-closing-times

This is in eastern time, where it is currently 4:20 PM on Tuesday. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I am in the dc area and everything downtown is boarded up and there are streets closed down with military tents and all sorts of military presence. I’ve felt like I’m going to throw up all day. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 7
  • Love 9

4 minutes ago, adidas said:

We likely won't have a final result tonight, due to the number of absentee ballots and each state has a different policy for when they are counted. My first link has some sort of tool that updates the timing to your own time zone. I don't know if it will work in AUS. Either way, I forgot that Indiana (Central Time Zone) closes earlier than everyone else. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/politics/polls-close.html

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-results-timing/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/03/upshot/election-night-guide.html

• Thank You 2

35 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Is anyone else completely incapable of working today? I can't seem to focus on anything but CNN, even though I know we won't know a damned thing for a few more hours.

Right there with you.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

17 minutes ago, adidas said:

Right now it is 3:30pm in Mississippi. At 7pm is when the polls close in this state. 

I can’t remember when the last poll closes, but let’s say one of the on our west coast closes at 8pm PST.  That is 6.5 hours from right now. Then the time to count... 

Last year we got unofficial results at around 12amPST or about 10.5 hours from now 

how ever with the record number of mail in votes it will complicate the results being released for this one. I saw an article that the number of early voters was 71% of the TOTAL 2016 vote. Not all of those were mail in though 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

I’m also in Australia, where it is currently 8:30am and I think the odds of getting much done today are very slim, I’ll be refreshing news websites and FJ most of the day. I know it’s unlikely to get an accurate result until early votes and Mail-in votes are counted, but apparently my brain is planning to torture itself anyway. So much love to our American FreeJingerites, I can’t imagine how heightened the stress and anxiety must be there. Here’s a cat.

75ADFEDF-CA67-46FF-AABF-6969CB152B59.jpeg

Edited by Smee
Wrong word
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 30

Thank you for the cat. I want to pet hers and tell hers she's the prettiest. 

Also, I would like to fast forward to tomorrow. This waiting is killing me. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

Right now it is 3:30pm in Mississippi. At 7pm is when the polls close in this state. 

I can’t remember when the last poll closes, but let’s say one of the on our west coast closes at 8pm PST.  That is 6.5 hours from right now. Then the time to count... 

Last year we got unofficial results at around 12amPST or about 10.5 hours from now 

how ever with the record number of mail in votes it will complicate the results being released for this one. I saw an article that the number of early voters was 71% of the TOTAL 2016 vote. Not all of those were mail in though 

Fortunately Florida can count mail in early so those are likely already counted and ready to info dump as soon  as the polls close.  And FL polls close at 7:00 EST.

Everything I've read says if Biden takes FL 99% he wins.  If Trump takes FL he also need PA.  Biden needs one or the other.  (Due California, NY, and Illinois being heavy hitters when it comes to EC votes and we're going blue.)

6 minutes ago, Smee said:

I’m also in Australia, where it is currently 8:30am and I think the odds of getting much done today are very slim, I’ll be refreshing news websites and FJ most of the day. I know it’s unlikely to get an accurate result until early votes and Mail-in votes are counted, but apparently my brain is planning to torture itself anyway. So much love to our American FreeJingerites, I can’t imagine how heightened the stress and anxiety must be there. Here’s a cat.

75ADFEDF-CA67-46FF-AABF-6969CB152B59.jpeg

I love you and I love your cat.  

Seriously, the way you guys from other countries are concerned about our well being in this both as your FJ buddies and as a country makes me want to sing kumbaya and hug all of you.

3 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Thank you for the cat. I want to pet hers and tell hers she's the prettiest. 

Also, I would like to fast forward to tomorrow. This waiting is killing me. 

Me too.  This is like when you're a kid and desperately waiting for Christmas morning.

Except this time we don't know if we're going to be overjoyed unwrapping a big box of decency or ...

if we're going to tear off the lovely wrapping to find a box with a steaming pile of shit inside.

Or worst of all...we get the big box of YAY and someone steals it from us flinging the shit like a giant orange psychopath.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 3

11 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

Last poll that closes is Alaska (3 electoral votes, leans Republican), which closes at 1 a.m. Eastern Time. That's 7 hours from now. And they mailed out absentee ballots to everyone over 65, i think 100,000 have been returned (541,000 registered voters) and don't even open the absentee ballots for a week. Long story as to why. 

Hawaii (4 electoral votes, solid blue) closes at 12 a.m. eastern time.) 

Those are the last two states to expect, but Alaska is only important for the Senate this year, as the Independant is within a polling error of the incumbent. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Fortunately Florida can count mail in early so those are likely already counted and ready to info dump as soon  as the polls close.  And FL polls close at 7:00 EST.

Everything I've read says if Biden takes FL 99% he wins.  If Trump takes FL he also need PA.  Biden needs one or the other.  (Due California, NY, and Illinois being heavy hitters when it comes to EC votes and we're going blue.)

I'm hoping it does not come down to Pennsylvania. I live in Pennsylvania. Our GOP legislature refused to let election offices start processing- not even counting, just preparing for counting- mail in and absentee ballots early, and some precincts and countries have already said that they just don't have people to process them until Wednesday if they couldn't do anything before today. I'm pretty sure the legislature was laying groundwork to pick their own slate of electors if the counting takes "too long" for them and Trump.

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 4
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1

EFF-

First exit poll- Economy more important than containing Covid and 48 % think the government is doing well with his Corona response, 51% who think to the contrary, which seems about right- 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

3 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

EFF-

First exit poll- Economy more important than containing Covid and 48 % think the government is doing well with his Corona response, 51% who think to the contrary, which seems about right- 

Given that today was mostly republican votes in a lot of states, I'm not entirely shocked by that. a bit appalled, but not shocked. 

• Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Given that today was mostly republican votes in a lot of states, I'm not entirely shocked by that. a bit appalled, but not shocked. 

You’d think after 2016, I’d be prepared, but I’m just not ready or prepared for a Trump win. I’m just not. If he wins, I will be so disappointed in our citizenry. I can not wrap my mind around decent people electing him again. He should be locked up, not elected the leader of the free world once, let alone, twice.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 11

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

You’d think after 2016, I’d be prepared, but I’m just not ready or prepared for a Trump win. I’m just not. If he wins, I will be so disappointed in our citizenry. I can not wrap my mind around decent people electing him again. He should be locked up, not elected the leader of the free world once, let alone, twice.

So much same. I'm literally fighting the urge to bite my nails, a habit I broke 25 years ago. Send help and wine. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 8

I'm proud of myself of how I have handled the day so far. I have stayed off twitter all day, went to all my classes and now I'm at work so I've done my normal routine despite the fact my country as I know it might be gone by the end of the day. My sister called me recently to talk about our aftermath game plan - our house got violated by trump supporters so we're looking at hiding out at our grandparents house if things go south quickly after today. I hope all of our worry and planning is for nothing, but i doubt it at this point. 

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • Love 9

1 minute ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

I'm proud of myself of how I have handled the day so far. I have stayed off twitter all day, went to all my classes and now I'm at work so I've done my normal routine despite the fact my country as I know it might be gone by the end of the day. My sister called me recently to talk about our aftermath game plan - our house got violated by trump supporters so we're looking at hiding out at our grandparents house if things go south quickly after today. I hope all of our worry and planning is for nothing, but i doubt it at this point. 

What do you mean violated?  Are you and your family okay?

• Upvote 6

The orange one made an appearance at the campaign office in Arlington VA today.  I think this woman is all of us.

image.png.44c606c0023ee5777585b5539a073ae3.png

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 2
  • Love 8

I'm guessing more registered Dems are showing up in PA.

image.png.adc6ec4a2ca62ca7dba1d2005a11554a.png

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 8

• GreyhoundFan locked and unpinned this topic