IGNORED

Stephen Hammer is Clerking for CJ John Roberts

hoipolloi

You know who else clerked for Chief Justice Roberts? Seditionist Senator Josh Hawley.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 16
  • WTF 3
  • Love 1

Don’t they have 6 now? They are going to have to stop soon. In my experience, big families can be seen as a good thing. Ultra big families are not always seen as a positive. If they end up with 7, I think people will be fine with voting for a judge with 7 kids. But if he has 12 kids, he will start to fall into a more ridiculous category. Because let’s face it. This guy has his sight set on a high up judge position. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Don’t they have 6 now? They are going to have to stop soon. In my experience, big families can be seen as a good thing. Ultra big families are not always seen as a positive. If they end up with 7, I think people will be fine with voting for a judge with 7 kids. But if he has 12 kids, he will start to fall into a more ridiculous category. Because let’s face it. This guy has his sight set on a high up judge position. 

Amy Coney Barrett has seven, so a few more probably would not be a problem. For conservatives, it would be a plus that he was not only anti-choice but anti-contraception.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Amy Coney Barrett has seven, so a few more probably would not be a problem. For conservatives, it would be a plus that he was not only anti-choice but anti-contraception.

I think double digits is when it gets weird. People just can’t wrap their heads around it and it just seems strange.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

She adopted two of  her children from Haiti.

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This guy has his sight set on a high up judge position. 

Oh yes. Absolutely. Unfortunately for Stephen Hammer, he'll have to spend at least the next four years doing real legal work.

If, FSM forbid, tRump had been re-elected, I have no doubt that Stephen would have been pole-vaulted into the federal judiciary like the dozens of incompetent fuckwads that Moscow Mitch put on the bench during the past four years. Except for not having much if any legal experience, Stephen Hammer would probably have looked good to the Rs in Congress and they would have approved his appointment without a murmur.

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 1/29/2021 at 3:52 PM, hoipolloi said:

She adopted two of  her children from Haiti.

One of whom does the majority of the parenting in my experience.  Which I always found especially shitty.

Edited by treemom
  • Upvote 10
  • Angry 1
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, treemom said:

One of whom does the majority of the parenting in my experience.  Which I always found especially shitty.

The sister-mom thing in fundie circles is disgusting, but this brings it to a new low.

I really wish that there had been some scrutiny of how the Barretts achieved two international adoptions. Anyone who brought it up at the time got shut down immediately. 

...For conservative Republicans who support the nomination, inquiries into the Barretts’ adoptions are considered “off limits,” outrageous even, an affront to the unquestioning “beauty” and necessity of adoption itself. For opponents of Judge Barrett’s nomination—and for critics of intercountry adoption generally—questions have been raised about the process the Barretts followed, specifically whether the adoptions were legal, transparent, and involved the relinquishment of an actual orphan, especially the 2010 adoption during Haiti’s recovery from a devastating earthquake....

...Do these set of facts—at least those that we can gather from available public records and statements— warrant inquiries into the adoptions as part of the Supreme Court nomination process? Of course they do. Given the chaos associated with adoptions in Haiti in 2010, we deserve not only to ask some basic questions but to get accurate answers from the Barretts, without being called “spoiled children” by political hacks and supporters. Some basic questions include:

• What agency handled the adoptions?
  • What is the record of that agency in facilitating inter-country adoptions from Haiti and elsewhere?
  • What “paperwork snafus” existed in December 2019 that “closed the door” to John Peter’s adoption?
  • How did those paperwork snafus disappear over the next month?
  • How was John Peter’s adoption handled during the midst of a natural catastrophe in Haiti?
  • Did John Peter have available family in Haiti and did he meet U.S. immigration law’s definition of orphan at the time?...

• Upvote 8

16 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

The sister-mom thing in fundie circles is disgusting, but this brings it to a new low.

I really wish that there had been some scrutiny of how the Barretts achieved two international adoptions. Anyone who brought it up at the time got shut down immediately. 

Lisa Metzger did the same thing with her oldest daughter Annalise. She adopted her overseas as a 10 year old. She became the live in nanny to the younger 13 children. 

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Lisa Metzger did the same thing with her oldest daughter Annalise. She adopted her overseas as a 10 year old. She became the live in nanny to the younger 13 children. 

How is this not legalized slavery , I wonder .  On the surface at least , it seems as if she found a legal loophole . 

• Upvote 7

19 minutes ago, Marmion said:

How is this not legalized slavery , I wonder .

Guessing that, in part, this happens when there's little or no post-adoption follow-up from the agency to see how placements are working.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

I should probably have chosen slightly milder words.  In my experience and observation it wasn’t quite to the level of sister mom.  Clearly, I’m not ACB fan.  But I forgot the context of this board and how “does the majority of the parenting” sounds like what we see with the Duggar’s and Anderson’s etc.  it was not to that level.

probably a fairer comparison would be to oldest child of a large family who are latchkey kids.  There is more I want to say, especially around the adoptions.  But this is probably when I should be quiet :)

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, treemom said:

I should probably have chosen slightly milder words.  In my experience and observation it wasn’t quite to the level of sister mom.  Clearly, I’m not ACB fan.  But I forgot the context of this board and how “does the majority of the parenting” sounds like what we see with the Duggar’s and Anderson’s etc.  it was not to that level.

I am withholding judgement until I see that these children who are adopted into already large families* are allowed the same [admittedly still a limited set of] opportunities as their siblings. If they are forced to remain at home caring for aging parents instead of having their own families. . . .

*thinking not just of the Barretts, but the Smiths and the (S'Morton adjacent) Fannings , as well as others such as Hana Williams, that suffered really terrible outcomes.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, treemom said:

probably a fairer comparison would be to oldest child of a large family who are latchkey kids.  There is more I want to say, especially around the adoptions.  But this is probably when I should be quiet :)

Your reticence is understandable & commendable.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I am withholding judgement until I see that these children who are adopted into already large families* are allowed the same [admittedly still a limited set of] opportunities as their siblings. If they are forced to remain at home caring for aging parents instead of having their own families. . . .

*thinking not just of the Barretts, but the Smiths and the (S'Morton adjacent) Fannings , as well as others such as Hana Williams, that suffered really terrible outcomes.

I do not think that will be quite the case here.  And ACB ain’t the Mortons.  All those kids will be able to go to college, etc.  I think all the kids went to the People of Praise private school, which while is run by what I consider a cult, is actually a very good school.

I just realized that within the context of this board, that my words were probably too strong.  That child doesn’t do the same level of parenting as the sister moms.  It’s still too high a level IMO, but not to that extent

14 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Your reticence is understandable & commendable.

I have learned some lessons over my life.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 1:43 AM, Clementine said:

Her mother, a grown woman, had to sneak upstairs in her own home to tell her adult daughter the answers to interview questions regarding a potential relationship involving the same daughter.

People are craaaazy.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SoybeanQueen said:

Her mother, a grown woman, had to sneak upstairs in her own home to tell her adult daughter the answers to interview questions regarding a potential relationship involving the same daughter.

People are craaaazy.

Reading this make me sad for Meredith. She was BUSY every day, and not just with "women's" work. "Processing" 100 chickens, followed by an afternoon of bookkeeping, all while homeschooling her younger brothers, raising her three year old sister, and doing housework. Kinda makes it seem like she accepted the first marriage proposal just to get out of that house and get some rest.

• Upvote 11

This is utterly disgusting.

She shared with me the question that the young man asked and the communication that had taken place since then. We agreed that guidance was needed from Dad and the big boys - Elliott and Oliver. Meredith and I have learned first hand that, as women, we are created with a much deeper well of emotions and we can be led astray by feelings if we don't have the valuable input from men who are much more logical and analytical. (Our men never get starry-eyed or dreamy as Meredith and I talk about love, weddings, and such!)

• Disgust 8
  • Eyeroll 8

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

This is utterly disgusting.

She shared with me the question that the young man asked and the communication that had taken place since then. We agreed that guidance was needed from Dad and the big boys - Elliott and Oliver. Meredith and I have learned first hand that, as women, we are created with a much deeper well of emotions and we can be led astray by feelings if we don't have the valuable input from men who are much more logical and analytical. (Our men never get starry-eyed or dreamy as Meredith and I talk about love, weddings, and such!)

Yep, and Stephen Hammer was there for it, all of it.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

Oh yes, I'd LOVE to ask guidance from my little brothers who have never been in any kind of relationship.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Oh yes, I'd LOVE to ask guidance from my little brothers who have never been in any kind of relationship.

The same thing happened with Esther Staddon and her younger brothers. That she likely helped raise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1