IGNORED

More Info on Doug Wilson, Pedophile Enabler

bea

I think most FJ people are aware of Doug Wilson's (Moscow, ID fundie Reformed Godfather of Christ Church) vigorous defense of two convicted and unrepentant pedophile, and his continued online attacks against the victim of one of the pedophiles. Wilson, who has also been caught out in multiple cases of plagiarism, is the all-powerful founder and head of the Christ Church and the utterly unaccredited New St Andrew's Seminary in Moscow, ID and seems to control about half the town's population. Natalie Greenfield, now grown and married and a mother of three, has spoken openly and candidly of Wilson's manipulations of her parents and herself as a young teen, when it was discovered that seminarian Jamin Wright, in his 20s and boarding with the Greenfields, had groomed and abused Natalie as a young teen. Wright has since reoffended. Wilson was also the officiant at the wedding of Steven Sitler, a convicted pedophile in Wilson's congregation, to a young woman also in the church. Sitler was considered at very high risk for reoffending and his probation officer filed a warning with the court that the couple intended to have children and this was a bad, bad idea. Since then, Sitler has reoffended with his own infant son.

Wison not only refuses to take any responsibility for creating a church environment where victims were villified and abusers forgive immediately, he's also been on a bizarre crusade to "prove" that there was no abuse of Natalie Greenfield. Due to arrest records and court records, he cannot argue that 20-something Wright had not had a sexual relationship with Greenfield, who had barely reached her teens. Wilson's position is that the relationship was approved by Natalie's parents (they have denied this), that Natalie could not have been abused because she was quite tall for her age, and also that Natalie could not possibly have been abused because her husband - who she met years after the abuse - made a performance art video as part of his MFA thesis in which he appeared nude. That last one requires some dazzling leaps of logic.

Anyway, someone keeps very good track of the developments in the various cases and the histories of the crimes (and Doug Wilson's involvement) on a website, moscowid.net. They've posted a link today to a 400 page meticulously researched and documented report on the two cases and Wilson's unwavering support of both pedophiles. The document contains email exchanges with Wilson, as well as interviews with law enforcement and the local prosecutor. I've kept up with the Wilson mess because it's mind-boggling that this man claims to be the victim of evil feminists and God-haters and at the same time proudly defends his documented record of enabling the sexual assault of minors.

So, if anyone is trapped inside on a rainy Saturday, the report is available on the moscowid.net website in PDF format, titled "Analyzing Douglas Wilson’s Handling of the Steven Sitler and Jamin Wight Cases." Just don't eat first, because what this man has done will make you nauseous.

• Upvote 18

Damn it, I need to be writing a report on the events of the 19th century that led to the Volstead Act! "Religion in Society" was LAST semester. 

I am downloading it to read when I get done with homework. Doug Wilson is horrible.

• Upvote 6

I propose that whenever we speak of Wilson on FJ from henceforth on, that he be referred to as "Doug Wilson Supports Pedophiles." Because he does.

• Upvote 22

Excellent synopsis, /profile/11341-bea/" rel="">@bea!  

50 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I propose that whenever we speak of Wilson on FJ from henceforth on, that he be referred to as "Doug Wilson Supports Pedophiles." Because he does.

I completely agree, though slight variations should also be welcomed.  I humbly offer the following: "Doug Wilson, supporter and defender of pedophiles," "Doug Wilson, enabler of sexual abusers and child predators," or "Doug Wilson, the champion of pedophiles and the warrior against victims of sexual abuse." 

I also encourage the brilliant intellectuals on FJ to continue reminding Google and others about Doug Wilson's incessant and unwavering support for sexually and physically abusive men who prey upon women, children, and even babies.  

Let the Internet remember forever that in Doug Wilson's church, those who abuse women, children, and infants can and will be welcomed unreservedly...But those who suffered at the hands of an abuser will be abandoned and shunned by the pastor and church elders.  

Let the Internet continue to share how Doug Wilson sat beside and supported these abusive men in court and wrote letters to judges on their behalf, while never approaching the victims in court for a kind word or an apology.  

May the Internet always record how Doug Wilson continued relentlessly to defame the victims in his church,  not only to church elders, but also online -- how holy such a pastor must be.  Let the Internet remember how Doug Wilson called private meetings amongst "heads of households" (read: male-only audience) to defend himself and to devalue the experience of the victims.  

Doug Wilson: proactive protector of pedophiles who seeks vengeance on victims for speaking the truth.  May his name live on in shame and infamy.

• Upvote 26

"Doug Wilson Champion of Pedophiles"

I'm interested to read this. And then share it with everyone I know who thinks Doug Wilson is a good theologian.

• Upvote 13

@bea That was an excellent summary of a vile, vile excuse for a human

What I don't understand is how even if the parents are liars (NO evidence of that) how this excuse of "parent-approved relationship" could possibly be seen as the literal "get out of jail free" card they cite it as?   Surely if any reputable church found out an adult man was grooming a young teen, and the parents were standing by, they should immediately have reported it to the proper authorities?  All of this is disgusting, but if I went to a church where they were using this line to excuse a pedophile (who then went on to reoffend!) I'd take my kids and run.

Trigger Warnings apply, but for people new to this, Natalie writes about her abuse here:
http://natalierose-livewithpassion.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/abuse-doesnt-look-way-you-think-it-looks.html

And I second the Katie Botkin recommendation too

Edited by Lurky
  • Upvote 10

Doug Wilson (DW) is a horrible human being. 

Besides the horrible things he has done to victims of sexual abuse and in support of their abusers, he's also a slavery apologist, a large-scale serial plagiarist, nasty misogynist, Moscow Idaho edge lord* and oh, lots and lots of other bad things.  

To get a sense of the magnitude of awfulness that is DW, here are a few links: 

moscowID.net   There are daily posts, sometimes with just a Doug Wilson quote, sometimes blog posts, sometimes "not DW" twitter posts, all related to DW & the Kirk (Christ Church). You can also access timelines of the Sitler and Wight cases by clicking on the Sitler Archive or Wight Archive tabs.  This is an important web site, because it keeps the white hot spotlight on things past and present in Doug World, and more likely, is surreptitiously read by those currently in the Kirk and (even more likely) by some of their older children.  With kids, when there is internet access, if there's a will, there's a way.  

https://kbotkin.com/tag/doug-wilson/   These are entries on Katie Botkins' blog that relate to  DW and the Kirk.  Katie is the cool first cousin to the Botkin Sisters Elizabeth and Anna Sofia. She's super smart with a mind like a steel trap, has been in college classes with DW, is intimately familiar with the whole CREC crazy, with friends and acquaintances who have been put through the wringer by the CREC. Every single entry on her blog was a timely and worthwhile red and she blogs on a wide variety of topics.  

https://cicerokirk.wordpress.com/ has a series of blog posts about Kirk-ly topics, although nothing has been posted since April. 

*much thanks to the fj-er who introduced me to the term "edge lord".  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 12

So many rabbit holes, so little time. Do I want to fall down this filth infested one? I have a doctor's appointment next week. Better make sure my blood pressure is fine first..

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

So many rabbit holes, so little time. Do I want to fall down this filth infested one? I have a doctor's appointment next week. Better make sure my blood pressure is fine first..

I fell down this hole a while back. Be careful if you have hypertension. I'd warn especially about the details of Sitwell's crimes, but it's just one appalling fact after another. Doug Wilson, pedophile protector, slavery apologist, and serial plagiarist, keeps trying to defend his actions, revictimizing the people he should have tried to protect every step of the way.

• Upvote 10

10 hours ago, Howl said:

Doug Wilson (DW) is a horrible human being. 

Besides the horrible things he has done to victims of sexual abuse and in support of their abusers, he's also a slavery apologist, a large-scale serial plagiarist, nasty misogynist, Moscow Idaho edge lord* and oh, lots and lots of other bad things.  

Sorry to quote myself, but i forgot to mention that he is an utterly vicious homophobe, so you can add that to my list of his charming qualities, which would also include thug, enforcer, church mafia don, serial liar, master manipulator.  I could go on, but i'ma getting tired of typing.  

• Upvote 10

On 9/12/2016 at 10:37 AM, Howl said:

Sorry to quote myself, but i forgot to mention that he is an utterly vicious homophobe, so you can add that to my list of his charming qualities, which would also include thug, enforcer, church mafia don, serial liar, master manipulator.  I could go on, but i'ma getting tired of typing.  

And a young earth creationist.  Or is that already covered by the above?

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

And a young earth creationist.  Or is that already covered by the above?

What?  I didn't know that.   So Logos School would be teaching that as part of the curriculum? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Howl said:

What?  I didn't know that.   So Logos School would be teaching that as part of the curriculum? 

That wouldn't surprise me. Another thing I wonder would be, does Logos School teach the alternate history of the US? (The one where slavery was a good thing, the majority of slaveowners and their slaves were like "family", the proper name of the war from 1860-65 was "The War of Northern Aggression" and was all about states' rights, slavery would have died out naturally because of the cotton gin if the abolitionists had just left things alone, etc. etc. etc.)

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, refugee said:

That wouldn't surprise me. Another thing I wonder would be, does Logos School teach the alternate history of the US? (The one where slavery was a good thing, the majority of slaveowners and their slaves were like "family", the proper name of the war from 1860-65 was "The War of Northern Aggression" and was all about states' rights, slavery would have died out naturally because of the cotton gin if the abolitionists had just left things alone, etc. etc. etc.)

Well, yes, I'm sure they do.  Someone found a photo of Robert E. Lee on the wall of one of their school rooms.  I doubt if DW has backed down in any way at all from his beliefs when he wrote Southern Slavery: As It Was in 1996, which is still available on Amazon....for 99 cents. 

The critical comments on Amazon are excellent reading and the "pro" comments are the usual drivel. 

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, refugee said:

Is Wilson from the South originally? If so, he must remember how the "War of North Aggression"/Dunning School view of history was once the accepted narrative, and now that view has been largely replaced by the black history/civil rights position. Even if he isn't from the South, the view that the Confederates were well-intentioned if misguided patriots was common throughout the US until the 1960s or so.

• Upvote 2

From the horse's mouth

And oh look he contributed to this book that Geof Botkin sells :P

http://westernconservatory.com/products/the-war-between-the-states

Endorsed by Bill Potter, lol

Oh and this looks informative http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2015/07/doug-wilson-black-and-tan.html

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Endorsed by Bill Potter, lol

About says it all -- a fraud endorsing a bigger fraud.

• Upvote 7

22 minutes ago, refugee said:

Huh. I thought I was pretty well steeped in patriarchy, but for some reason the name "Bill Potter" doesn't ring a bell.

I've posted Bill Potter's background info before, but it always bears repeating because these assholes count on people's ignorance to continue their scams. From the linked FJ comment, here's his former bio statement as printed in an old Vision Forum blog item (visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2004/12/945/):

"Incredibly principled in his theology and history, Bill was the top Ph.D. candidate with high ranking grades at the College of William and Mary, but was denied his Ph.D. by the Marxist history chairman (a former "Weatherman" radical at the University of Wisconsin) because of his overt Christian and Southern perspective on history."

That background info is now missing from Potter's current bio statement.

Once again, renewing the call here for any FJ folks who might actually know what went down in at W & M, probably in the early 1980s. My guess is that Potter's blatant racism & Christianist bias, not to mention general incompetence, were enough to get him turfed out of the PhD program. 

Bill Potter & Doug Phillips Is A Rapist were BFFs -- may still be -- and may have first met up at W & M. Assholes tend to hang together till they get in fights with each other.

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, refugee said:

Huh. I thought I was pretty well steeped in patriarchy, but for some reason the name "Bill Potter" doesn't ring a bell.

DPiaT's special male friend.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

My guess is that Potter's blatant racism & Christianist bias,

Oh, yeah. That makes sense. Thanks. I don't know why Potter is not on my radar.

I can clearly imagine him patronizing (or avoiding) non-white staff members and students. After all, they are a "simpler people, needing guidance -- which is why slavery was such a wonderful institution!" The Christian, favored race was "taking care" of their weaker (read that "inferior") brothers, and introducing them to the gospel.* Wasn't the slave trade fortuitous! That saved the white supremacists from having to go to Africa in person to convert the heathens.

Pardon me while I go and find a barf bag.

*and yes, these are actual teachings, at least according to Steve Wilkins, and DW. They were co-authors on Southern Slavery as It Was, after all.

Edited by refugee
clarity
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, refugee said:

Oh, yeah. That makes sense. Thanks. I don't know why Potter is not on my radar.

Here's DPIAR with Bill Potter, his BFF (Dougie is the short one), doing what they do best -- bad cosplay masquerading as history:

potter_phillips.jpg

• Upvote 8

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic