IGNORED

Dogs of Free Jinger

47of74

My dad got a dog yesterday from one of the local farmers he helped out earlier this year.

pal.png.ca8f3f080b217f3d1968d40204ed3a13.png

His name is Pal.  Pal's birthday is August 1st so he'll be three months old next week Sunday.  Pretty friendly little guy.  Took him for a nice long walk today.  He's still trying to find his place in the local pecking order.  As you can imagine the cats are less than thrilled over this new development but at least Pal is used to living with cats.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 25

I just love dogs!!! Once I move, I’ll get a dog... they’re amazing! 

Pal is so pretty, @47of74! Such a cutie!!! 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Here he is yesterday after our constitutional around the farm.  Far from being worn out he wanted more walk.

Pal2.png.1fad0238ff57fc7f6e13f57a1aacdd6d.png

He met my niece yesterday but that didn't go over as well as I hoped - she loved seeing him on video but in person with him barking at her she was a bit scared of him.  Hopefully they'll become friends over time.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 11

23 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Here he is yesterday after our constitutional around the farm.  Far from being worn out he wanted more walk.

Pal2.png.1fad0238ff57fc7f6e13f57a1aacdd6d.png

He met my niece yesterday but that didn't go over as well as I hoped - she loved seeing him on video but in person with him barking at her she was a bit scared of him.  Hopefully they'll become friends over time.

Had that happen years ago when we stopped at a friends house to visit and show off our newly adopted puppy.  Our friend had a 5 year old girl, and the puppy really wanted to play with her, so puppy was barking and trying to engage with her.  The little girl was not happy.

We told her the puppy was like a very young child who was very excited to see her and was asking in puppy language to play with her.  She wasn't convinced.  Watching the adults play with the puppy didn't help.  As a very young dog she was really active, loud, and hadn't yet learned to be careful with her claws and teeth.

A couple months later we stopped by again with the puppy and the girl wanted to know what happened to the puppy we used to have.  She didn't believe that it was the same dog.  This one was so much bigger (and much calmer).

• Upvote 3

Pal enjoying the warm weather. 

87297627-2443-44B3-B69A-832FF84D7B2B.thumb.jpeg.28ed1818993a6bb84e3217c5b471a515.jpeg

• Love 13

Here’s my boy Kingsford on the way home from day care the other day.  His day care is in my building, so he goes to work once a week with me. 
(disclaimer:  this was taken while stopped in traffic for a couple of minutes)

CB39C95A-03AB-4995-9EDF-02B98A3F4BF3.jpeg

Edited by catlady
  • Love 13

• 1 month later...

Everybody, meet Sadie. I adopted her the day before Thanksgiving. She's now about 4 months old. 

sophie in the sunshine.jpg

• Love 14

• 1 month later...

Pal was out running around today, burning off some of that excess puppy energy.

premanhoodremoval.png.5c5949236831f330c32ebeb2cd673792.png

Tomorrow he gets to make a little trip down to the vet's office.  Yep someone is getting some equipment removed tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 13

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

Tomorrow he gets to make a little trip down to the vet's office.  Yep someone is getting some equipment removed tomorrow. 

He has such a cute, expressive face. I love serious faced dog pictures. They always look like they're solving the problems of the world, when they're probably just thinking "You're not leaving, are you?" or "Is that food?"

Farewell to Pal's testicles. :greetings-waveyellow:

Hope he recovers quickly and without complications!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

IMG_20200827_183526028.thumb.jpg.424c47b037630cb52de2963f2f9a0f76.jpg

Here is the IRL Indiana Bones! She was found wandering around the Navajo reservation in 2016 and I adopted her not long after. She's six now and loves playing fetch, dipping her rear end in the ocean (never her whole body!) and then doing zoomies on the beach, and walking around the kitchen on her hind legs in hope of snatching a spare slice of cheese off the counter.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 15

Is IMG-20201017-WA0020.thumb.jpeg.372a6bf63eae99d44707e59b3a215eeb.jpeg

Here is Hector a couple of months ago when we have gone checking on the sea house closed since this summer. He loves bathing in the sea (as well as rivers, lakes, and every other body of water he could find) He is a great guy, but to warn him off you have to work. He has to have all his family near when we go around so if it is out with two people (dosen't really matter how)  those two has to be near him or h will have to go back and forth between the two and bring them close ??

• Thank You 1
  • Love 15

16 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Pal was out running around today, burning off some of that excess puppy energy.

premanhoodremoval.png.5c5949236831f330c32ebeb2cd673792.png

He is going to be tutored!

Spoiler

tutored.gif.82f8651d8417fdc842626e832f494344.gif

• Haha 6
  • Love 4

Pal came home after, as my mom said, getting the fun cut out of him.  Dad said he's doing well and resting comfortably this evening.  Vet told dad to not feed him until tomorrow so we'll see how he wants to eat then. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

@FiveAcres, my vets definitely need that cartoon on their bulletin board.

ETA:  I was checking the bookshelves in the living room earlier this week to see if we had any of James Herriott's book on that shelf.  ( I think the first two books and the British editions are on the bookshelf in the bedroom.)  I saw The Lord God Made Them All on the top shelf of one bookcase so I got it down.  I was looking at the cover and noticed on the back there is little Jimmy Herriott kneeling and petting a scruffy little terrier that looks so much like my late Lucy.  I'd never noticed that particular part of the cover before and I've had the book for years, but that's probably why I didn't notice it.  Lucy would be 22, I think, and I've had the book since 1992.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 3

• 4 months later...

Here’s Pal again. 

190390D0-88C9-4A4A-B286-03B04CF8A4DF.thumb.jpeg.155c2b5b08f89599f094022d82925086.jpeg

Aug 1 he’ll be a year old already. Gotta get him a bday treat then. 

• Love 7

@Bassett Lady, I presume those are your Bassets.  They are gorgeous!  

There used to be a basset living in our neighborhood that camped out at our house for a few weeks.  My girls called him Baskel.  I think that Casper might have been one of his sons.  Casper looked like a half Foxhound half Basset with albinism, maybe.  He was mostly white and grey.  Brown eyes though.  His brother was regular foxhound size with the same coloring.  Casper would wander all over the neighborhood.  I miss seeing Casper around. 

20 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I presume those are your Bassets

Yes, I have had basset hounds ever since I moved to the United States. A neighbor gave me a sweet puppy when I first got here, so lonesome and homesick. She was my boon companion as I navigated American life. 

When I was fat too shy to speak to anyone, I could always take her for a walk and meet new people. She was my best friend and when I wasn’t allowed to take her to University with me I wanted to skip college. 

Thankfully, she was taken in by good friends while I was at school and I visited her every school break. 

I met my hubby through his basset hound. We have done basset rescue for decades, for many years with an organization. We are the basset branch of the local no-kill rescue group. 

Both of these dogs were rescued. They were underweight, full of heart worms, and their coats dull and brittle. It is amazing what love, good food, adequate medical care, and gentle kindness can do for a living creature. 

• Love 8

IMG_20210719_184427.jpg.5e35c8e19815181fe23e104751b606c4.jpg

My sister was fostering this little guy and kept upselling him to my parents, so I offered to adopt him. Everyone, meet Simon! Cajun street dog turned PNW boy. He's flying up from Louisiana in two weeks and I'm excited to meet him in person!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

• 2 weeks later...

Happy birthday to Pal! 

Pal1Year.thumb.png.ee2c6d4fbb27417e6c6180983e33a82b.png

One year old today!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

• 11 months later...

Kingsford was begging for a second breakfast (brunch?), and Sam the pseudo-dog wanted in on it.

0D0F983F-6BDA-4F3B-9EE7-BAF3B8502C27.jpeg

• Love 6