IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 12

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

WTF is James MacDonald and do we have a thread on this guy? He sounds like a real nutjob. 

I don't recall that we ever focused on megachurch "pastor"  James MacDonald specifically; he always seemed a peripheral figure somehow, but "nutjob" is a kindness; he's def a nasty piece of work. My impression is that he's from the mold of sociopathic megapastors (Mark Driscoll, anyone?) with ugly behavior, scandals (and coverups) and a dismissal in his wake.  

His personal residence went on the market after he was fired: Fired Harvest Bible Chapel Pastor James MacDonald Selling Custom-Built Home for $1.6M

As is typical, he's joined another church and also established a James MacDonald Ministries.  Harvest Chapel wants to see his sleazy ass in the rear view mirror forever.  These disgraced sleazebags only know grifting from ministry, so they rise from the ashes to begin anew.  

Harvest Elders Say James MacDonald Is ‘Biblically Disqualified’ From Ministry

• Thank You 6

On 10/25/2020 at 7:30 PM, The Mother Dust said:

Assuming the Cinema of Wonders site's purpose is to advertise his business/services, whats the point of making it private. ?‍♀️ Unless he's doing it temporarily while making updates, but good web/business practice would be to leave a page up saying so.

Nah... good web/business practice is to stop telling everyone about how great it's going to be when done and just update the damn site.

It's not the first time the site's gone private & the last time nothing of any substance was updated.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

Also people forget that Pence grew up Catholic before he was born again in college - I think he would like people to forget that. But hello Mike Pence I see you at Christmas Eve mass with your family at my Roman Catholic parish almost every year. He's just awful.

I wish we had wow! reaction. This is shocking to me. Does he really go to you parish?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Does he really go to you parish?

So, long story short, I think it's his mother and stepfather that go there, but he ALWAYS is there for Christmas Eve mass with his family. They (his parents) live across the street from a really good friend of mine, and whenever Pence is in town she isn't able to leave/ get to her house because Secret Service people block off the whole block. It isn't that far from my parish.

I just texted her and she said that hasn't happened for quite awhile, so there's a chance they don't live there at the moment but still own the house, or he just hasn't visited when he's been in town.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

6 minutes ago, Cat Damon said:

So, long story short, I think it's his mother and stepfather that go there, but he ALWAYS is there for Christmas Eve mass with his family. They (his parents) live across the street from a really good friend of mine, and whenever Pence is in town she isn't able to leave/ get to her house because Secret Service people block off the whole block. It isn't that far from my parish.

I just texted her and she said that hasn't happened for quite awhile, so there's a chance they don't live there at the moment but still own the house, or he just hasn't visited when he's been in town.

Considering he keeps hanging out with coronavirus-infected people, he should stay away from his mother!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

3 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Considering he keeps hanging out with coronavirus-infected people, he should stay away from his mother!

And that goes double for attending any church services.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

Poor DPIART, there really seems to be no place for him from which to rise again. When VF imploded, he should have (had his ego allowed it) made a hail mary grandstand, a la Jimmy Swaggart, to save his "ministry". But in his midlife musings, sick of the responsibilty of job and family, he really thought (if he thought at all) he could run away and land on his feet. Probably no one is more shocked than him that he's neither rich nor famous.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 10

11 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

he should have (had his ego allowed it) made a hail mary grandstand, a la Jimmy Swaggart, to save his "ministry".

James Leininger, the money behind all things VF, pulled the plug and everything instantly went dark. It happened fast, and left Doug without a platform to rise from.  

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Howl said:

James Leininger, the money behind all things VF, pulled the plug and everything instantly went dark. It happened fast, and left Doug without a platform to rise from.  

Agree.

It would be interesting to know the dollar amount of how much Leininger poured into VF over the years but like Wexner & Epstein, I doubt that Leininger would ever fully reveal that info.

James Leininger said he also would have preferred to know earlier [about DPIART's sins]. The Texas conservative and billionaire businessman supported VFM for years: He said his donations included the building on Blanco Road and the home that Phillips and his family lived in while they worked for the ministry.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Howl said:

Thank all things holy for that! 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 10/30/2020 at 9:45 AM, Howl said:

If he still has money, I wonder what religious group he supports now. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

If he still has money, I wonder what religious group he supports now. 

Texan here, as is Leininger.

He's a rich mofo (1 billion +)  and has been supporting Conservative causes forever. He's a huge proponent of school vouchers, although Texans really have not gone in for the school voucher thing. 

He was active in promoting ultra conservative candidates for the Texas Board of Education, which doesn't sound like much, but this group approves Texas textbooks.  Gail Collins lays it out here. Although this is eight years old, it is still on point. 

How Texas Inflicts Bad Textbooks on Us

I don't know if he currently supports any specific ministries these days, but he has a lot of money to go around and there is no shortage of fundamentalist/conservative Christian politicians in Texas.  

• Angry 1
  • Thank You 6

@Howl, thanks for sharing this. This crap has been going on since the late ‘70s and the rise of the “Moral Majority” (which was neither). I used to see people on religion-based talk shows tut-tutting about all the shocking “liberal” content in textbooks.

• Upvote 8

Doug's followers losing their shit on Facebook:

281087806_Screenshot_2020-11-06VisionForum.png.c54fc58571343b1bac8930750219cb5a.png

And in other news, Faith got her second "Speed & Kulture" cover:

1138069362_Screenshot_2020-11-08trentsherrillphotographyViewanonymouslyanddownloadstoriesfromInstagramOnlineservice.png.8251595f3345fb4e5b9cf0e6bb2d8868.png

She's also in Ogden, Utah, for some reason.

• Disgust 2
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 6

47 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

Doug's followers losing their shit on Facebook:

281087806_Screenshot_2020-11-06VisionForum.png.c54fc58571343b1bac8930750219cb5a.png

These are good examples of why we can't "extend grace" to tRump supporters. Yes, there needs to be unity in the US but we can't overlook this shit or excuse the 4+ years of hate, racism, and misogyny that these people have either supported or engaged in themselves.

This Twitter thread explains it quite well:

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

I strongly remember The Big Florida Ballot Chad Disaster of 2000. Yes, the final presidential poll results got hung up for what seemed an eternity because of a very close vote and recounts showing a razor-thin margin, but Al Gore conceded to George W. Bush on December 13. At the time, I thought it stank that the presidency hung on the state whose governor was the freaking *brother* of the winner, and I still do, but I never thought that the entire system was corrupt. If it were, there would have been no way Obama would have beaten McCain by ~200 electoral votes and ~10M popular votes.

Now social media and right-wing news organizations have an ever more powerful fan base of vocal, barking wingnuts whose concept of “truth” consists of “alternative facts.”  Most of the time reality just isn’t very interesting: Sometimes someone we dislike wins, and we have to accept it even if we don’t like it. 

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, Hane said:

Now social media and right-wing news organizations have an ever more powerful fan base of vocal, barking wingnuts whose concept of “truth” consists of “alternative facts.”

Vocal, barking wingnuts on local talk radio all over this country are an immensely influential and overlooked aspect of how alt right views are spread and embedded in this country.  Those local AM stations will also carry Rush and InfoWars if they  afford it and then the local guys pound it home.  People listen at work, at lunch, in their car/truck.  I consider it to be equally as important as social media.

Our asshole Lieutenant Gov. Dan Patrick here in Texas got his start in talk radio as did VP Pence.  Dan Patrick still has his radio show. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

Doug is so very pseudo this and that: pseudo intellectual, pseudo historian, pseudo preacher man, pseudo moralist and just possibly...pseudo husband. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

Doug’s behind the times again. I first saw this reported on several days ago and since then I’ve noticed that all the articles I’ve read have got this right. They’ve said first woman, black person, person of Indian and/or SE Asian and first woman of colour to be VP but not person of colour.

Maybe I’m just reading a better class of articles than DPIART. (Does saying that make me a pseudo-elitist or something?)

Edited by Topaz
Formatting
  • Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Topaz said:

Maybe I’m just reading a better class of articles than DPIART. (Does saying that make me a pseudo-elitist or something?)

No, just much much better informed. 

• Upvote 7

Whoa, looks like Doug's been hitting the gym as well. I'm seeing some pecs/shoulders defined under that shirt. 

Also, a clue.  It's been warm, very warm in Texas, especially San Antonio.  I can't remember a day in awhile when a warm long sleeved shirt and cap were called for. 

• Upvote 3

The 2020 USMTA International Amateur Muay Thai Championships hapenned from 20 to 22 nov 2020 at Ardmore Convention Center, Ardmore, Oklahoma. In Honor Phillips registration it says he is from San Antonio, Texas.

• Thank You 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic