IGNORED

Bontrager/Bowers 7: Thanking the Lord for all the Matchmaking

samurai_sarah

32 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Good question. I wonder if he comes up to visit a lot. Maybe Allison took Praise down to Iowa for thanksgiving and then Denver brought her back and visited there. So many possibilities since Allison is married to Praise’s brother. 

I believe it is a little over a 5 hour drive between the two families

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I believe it is a little over a 5 hour drive between the two families

I think so. When you have no kids and you probably love spending lots of time just talking with your fundie love, I wouldn’t be surprised if you are willing to make the drive pretty often.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

36 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, he will turn 21 this month and I believe she is around 25.

I don’t really care about age differences. But what could a 25 year old have in common with a 21 year old aside from god? It’s not like he has been through anything that made him mature. He doesn’t even have a real job. In a normal family she would be done with college and starting her career. He would still be in school partying with friends. It’s sad. 
I am not saying you can’t marry young or have an age difference like them. The problem is he has nothing to offer. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I don’t really care about age differences. But what could a 25 year old have in common with a 21 year old aside from god? It’s not like he has been through anything that made him mature. He doesn’t even have a real job. In a normal family she would be done with college and starting her career. He would still be in school partying with friends. It’s sad. 
I am not saying you can’t marry young or have an age difference like them. The problem is he has nothing to offer. 

The Bontragers start working at a young age and likely start saving their money young too. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a lot more money saved up for marriage and a family compared to other fundie guys his age. I think I prefer this type of age gap since it means less overall children. But in fundie land, it’s almost always the girl who is 21 and the guy who is 25. That means more kids since a man’s age related fertility is a slower decline than a female. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I'm not sure its fair to say Denver doesn't have  a real job.  The Bontragers appear to have a large agricultural operation, including dairy cows, manure spreading (don't laugh, that's a real thing), and a very large family garden. They employ other people, at least seasonally. Agriculture is hard work.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 15

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I'm not sure its fair to say Denver doesn't have  a real job.  The Bontragers appear to have a large agricultural operation, including dairy cows, manure spreading (don't laugh, that's a real thing), and a very large family garden. They employ other people, at least seasonally. Agriculture is hard work.

You're absolutely correct of course, but I can't help thinking that they do plenty of metaphorical manure spreading as well...

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Can he support a family off of working for his family? 

• Upvote 1

I don't know about you guys, but I for one cannot WAIT to listen to another Marlin Bontrager wedding sermon! Throw in a little hapless, bumbling Mr. Helferich, and you have yourself a stew!

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 10
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

I don't know about you guys, but I for one cannot WAIT to listen to another Marlin Bontrager wedding sermon! Throw in a little hapless, bumbling Mr. Helferich, and you have yourself a stew!

It’s just going to be a repeat of Allison’s wedding. I swear it will be so similar that we will think we are watching the same wedding! There will even be similar wedding parties! Maybe not exactly the same. But there will be a lot of repeat bridesmaids and groomsmen. The only real change will be the church venue. Praise will likely want the wedding to be in their church. I’m really hoping they don’t have a wedding in January or February. I’m sure Covid will still be very high at that time. Allison’s wedding had potential to be a major superspreader because the wedding was indoors and there was singing. But at least the reception was outside and daily covid cases weren’t as high at that time. That’s probably the only reason they didn’t have a superspreader event that day. But if this next Helrager wedding is in the winter, it’s going to be very very bad.

• Upvote 17

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But if this next Helrager wedding is in the winter, it’s going to be very very bad.

"Helrager"--love it!  Is there any way to work this into a thread title?

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 5

Just now, petrushka said:

"Helrager"--love it!  Is there any way to work this into a thread title?

Isn’t it a perfect description of a wedding where Marlin and Pa Helferich rant on and on?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2

I'm hoping for some US upper plains/Canadian prairie FJers to weigh in on this question--

The standard fundie engagement is 3 months--but that would put the Denver-Praise nuptials in late Feb.  Does anyone in Minnesota actually get married in February???  I know y'all are hardy folks, but winter blizzards seem like a real issue--especially when lots of the guests will be travelling from Iowa.

Is it possible that we will see a slightly longer engagement, with a wedding in March or even April?

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

Is it possible that we will see a slightly longer engagement, with a wedding in March or even April?

Depends on how horny Denver is.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 13

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I'm hoping for some US upper plains/Canadian prairie FJers to weigh in on this question--

The standard fundie engagement is 3 months--but that would put the Denver-Praise nuptials in late Feb.  Does anyone in Minnesota actually get married in February???  I know y'all are hardy folks, but winter blizzards seem like a real issue--especially when lots of the guests will be travelling from Iowa.

Fundies don't care about weather. 

Chelsy & John got married in Iowa on December 30. It was below freezing & snowing. No problem when fundies are running towards the altar. 

I'm in Wisconsin and typically far fewer people have weddings from probably December through March. People get married, of course, and plenty of people do have large weddings/receptions. But, their numbers are relatively small in relation to the number of weddings from April to November. Even April & November can be risky. My god son got married on 4/22 and it was in the 70's that day and sunny. Everyone praised how lucky they were. Especially when 3 days later we had a blizzard. 

But, anyway - as to a a Bontrager/Helferich wedidng in February/March? Not even remotely a problem in their world. They don't think of external factors. If the Bont's were doing their traveling thing in 2021 that would push the date to the end of their "winter tour", but it doesn't look like they are doing the dog & pony show in 2021. 

• Upvote 7

43 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Next time I want a drinking game and a watchparty.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Surprised Allison and her lover didn’t wait to have a double wedding with their siblings. 

No way would Allison wait a minute longer than she had to. She’s been itching to get married for years.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

And Marlin won't be talking about the 'pandemic' and will be on to the vaccine - the 'mark of the beast' vaccine.  Can't wait.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Can he support a family off of working for his family? 

I believe he can. It's a very similar situation to what Jeremiah Helferich has going on. He is the one of a large family and he works on the farm. 

As for Marlin, his temper tantrum at Allison's wedding was the worst I've ever seen.  And it wasn't just his anger about the pandemic. The angry mob anecdote was the worst. And Papa Helferich's causal but obvious racism was shitty too. I doubt the election of Biden will put him in a better mood.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

A day late to the party because I lost power. But, I saw the happy news about Denver and Praise. 

2 hours ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

How about we make a drinking game for the livestream? Sip every time Marlin bashes couples living in sin. Sip every time the couple looks bored. Finish your drink every time the word "plandemic" comes up. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

Surprised Allison and her lover didn’t wait to have a double wedding with their siblings. 

On the double wedding talk am I the only one disturbed that four out of the five Bontrager unions four of the siblings have married into the same family? Like Josh and Carson married into the Bowers family and Allison and, now, Denver are marrying/married into the Helferich family. I thought the Neelys have three daughters all marry into the Wilkes family was one thing. It looks like the Neelys and Bontragers are keeping the marriage pool small.

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

On the double wedding talk am I the only one disturbed that four out of the five Bontrager unions four of the siblings have married into the same family? Like Josh and Carson married into the Bowers family and Allison and, now, Denver are marrying/married into the Helferich family. I thought the Neelys have three daughters all marry into the Wilkes family was one thing. It looks like the Neelys and Bontragers are keeping the marriage pool small.

Denver is the sixth sibling to marry. Chelsy is married to John Maxwell.  Mitchell Bontrager is to Bryn Leppert. 

It certainly is something that they have two pairs of children marry siblings. . As long as the people are happy, it doesn't bother me.  It is kind of weird, but not necessarily good or bad.  

If some of the kids are unhappy or felt they had to marry these people, that's not good. 

• Upvote 6

43 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I'm all for fundies keeping their family and social circles small and isolated.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Denver is the sixth sibling to marry. Chelsy is married to John Maxwell.  Mitchell Bontrager is to Bryn Leppert. 

It certainly is something that they have two pairs of children marry siblings. . As long as the people are happy, it doesn't bother me.  It is kind of weird, but not necessarily good or bad.  

If some of the kids are unhappy or felt they had to marry these people, that's not good. 

Oops, my bad I forgot about Mitchell and Bryn. I just find it creepy.

13 minutes ago, daisyjane1234 said:

I'm all for fundies keeping their family and social circles small and isolated.

True, but I just find it disturbing. Like how are the families going to branch out? It just seems a messed up. 

• Upvote 1

The Buckinghales have a lot of the same families marrying into both the Buckinghams and the Hales. But they live in Alaska so that’s probably part of it. 

2 Buckinghams married 2 Hales.

2 Hales married 2 Rubios

1 Buckingham married 1 Rubio

1 Hale married 1 Stevens

1 Buckingham married 1 Stevens

1 Hale married 1 Berlin

1 Buckingham married 1 Berlin

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 4