IGNORED

Bontrager/Bowers 7: Thanking the Lord for all the Matchmaking

samurai_sarah

4 hours ago, petrushka said:

Bryn (Leppert) Bontrager's brother Alex is getting married this weekend at Marion Ave. Baptist Church.

Wedding favors will feature Jordan Almonds with a side of Covid-19.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Wedding favors will feature Jordan Almonds with a side of Covid-19.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the Bons already had covid and know it. They have been all over the place pretending like the pandemic doesn’t exist. They have a much higher chance catching it and I bet they already did.

• Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the Bons already had covid and know it. They have been all over the place pretending like the pandemic doesn’t exist. They have a much higher chance catching it and I bet they already did.

Chances are at least some of them have had it. Given how it's different for everyone they may not have known they had it. BUT, that's kind of the point of masks & social distancing. If you know you're sick, typically you stay home anyway (or should) but if you are sick & don't know it, you go galivanting around & infect other people unwittingly. That is the biggest danger with the spreading of COVID because unlike the cold, which people give to each other all the time, it can kill some people. If someone has a cold and coughs on you, and you get a cold, you feel like crap for a while then it goes away. If someone with COVID coughs on you and you get sick, you could die. Many us wouldn't. But, there is a large enough population with underlying conditions that can be brought down hard. Some without underlying conditions but different immune systems. Just like some people get colds all the time and others don't.

I rarely - like, really rarely - get colds and I have never had the flu...the flu as in influenza. This doesn't mean I have a magical immune system, it just means mine does shit different than "most". I get my share of illness - eye infections, I had Parvo Virus B-19 (Fifths disease) when I was in my 30's & it took more than a year for my joints to fully recover. I've had Myelitis (from virus attacking my spine/settling in my spinal column) . Anyway, that's not the point - the point is every human body is different and that is part of the unknown (particularly with new) of viruses. 

The reality is, not one of us knows how it would affect us if we haven't had it. And running around as if you'll be just fine and that's all that matters is a dangerous, selfish, ignorant fallacy. 

I don't wish illness on anyone, ever. But, I reserve my empathy for those who aren't reckless, especially with other people's lives. 

• Upvote 16

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Agreed--considering how much they travel, attend indoor events, and disregard Covid protocols, it is really likely that someone in the extended Bontrager family has had it. Thank goodness border controls are preventing them on going their usual winter tour of northern Mexico.

• Upvote 4

I don't know- I think if they did get it they would be posting about it. They would talk about how it wasn't that bad and how no one should be worried about getting it. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, ElizaB said:

I don't know- I think if they did get it they would be posting about it. They would talk about how it wasn't that bad and how no one should be worried about getting it. 

I alternate between thinking surely the Bontragers (and other mass gathering loving fundies) have gotten it, and agreeing with you that they would have posted about how they're fine by now. Maybe they got lucky and were basically all asymptomatic, and one or two had a cold they didn't even think was covid? And now they're all immune so of course they think it's a hoax. It just really seems so impossible that these huge gatherings of people who don't believe in masks and have all been travelling/ attending a bunch of other mass gatherings, haven't resulted in infections when other people wear masks and socially distance and sometimes still get it? Maybe one of them got it pretty bad (not life threatening but v. ill) and so they can't post about it because it doesn't fit the narrative? Erin Bates took a long time to post she had bad covid, and the Bates weren't even covid deniers, just cavalier in their behaviour. If a Bont was super ill with it I bet we would only find out if they were hospitalised and they needed prayers.

• Upvote 4

New blog posts up on the Bontragers! Pictures of a few grandchildren. 

Maybe it's just me being depressed by the Pandemic, but they posted baby pictures "to brighten your day." My gut thinks the reality of pandemic is starting to sink in. I certainly hope so. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, wendy-sparkles said:

I alternate between thinking surely the Bontragers (and other mass gathering loving fundies) have gotten it, and agreeing with you that they would have posted about how they're fine by now. Maybe they got lucky and were basically all asymptomatic, and one or two had a cold they didn't even think was covid? And now they're all immune so of course they think it's a hoax. It just really seems so impossible that these huge gatherings of people who don't believe in masks and have all been travelling/ attending a bunch of other mass gatherings, haven't resulted in infections when other people wear masks and socially distance and sometimes still get it? Maybe one of them got it pretty bad (not life threatening but v. ill) and so they can't post about it because it doesn't fit the narrative? Erin Bates took a long time to post she had bad covid, and the Bates weren't even covid deniers, just cavalier in their behaviour. If a Bont was super ill with it I bet we would only find out if they were hospitalised and they needed prayers.

It makes me wonder if they spread covid around to others who did get really sick with it. Maybe theirs was asymptomatic or it was like a mild cold. But they gave it to a bunch of older folks that got very ill. Of course they would deny this. 

• Upvote 2

Am I right though that Covid has only really started going crazy in Iowa and the Midwest, and in rural areas more generally, in the past few weeks, so it's quite possible the Bonts have managed to avoid it?

Of course, that would also mean that it's only a matter of time before they do get it. I see from that risk assessment thing that there's a 93% chance that an event in their home county attracting more than 50 people would have someone COVID-positive there.

• Upvote 6

22 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It makes me wonder if they spread covid around to others who did get really sick with it. Maybe theirs was asymptomatic or it was like a mild cold. But they gave it to a bunch of older folks that got very ill. Of course they would deny this. 

I'm in NZ and we're doing genome sequencing to help figure out how community transmission happened. The Bontrager's would be so screwed if they had scientists tracking where their acquaintances got the disease. I know it might be unlikely because of differences in culture etc, but I would like to see them deal with Biden putting them into lockdown.

Edited by wendy-sparkles
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Am I right though that Covid has only really started going crazy in Iowa and the Midwest, and in rural areas more generally, in the past few weeks, so it's quite possible the Bonts have managed to avoid it?

Of course, that would also mean that it's only a matter of time before they do get it. I see from that risk assessment thing that there's a 93% chance that an event in their home county attracting more than 50 people would have someone COVID-positive there.

Kim Reynolds is shit & has done more harm than good. Iowa hasn't been much different than the rest of the country as far as numbers go, but they've done little to combat it. Reynolds is an open, in your face trumper. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 3

@captainobvious Nope, the Midwest and many rural areas having been doing very poorly since the summer, and have had at least some covid since March. There’s also a strong correlation between an area’s support for Trump and bad covid 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Dominionatrix said:

@captainobvious Nope, the Midwest and many rural areas having been doing very poorly since the summer, and have had at least some covid since March. There’s also a strong correlation between an area’s support for Trump and bad covid 

I just read something about the Amish in Wayne county Ohio having an outbreak a few months ago. I guess the Amish aren’t big on wearing masks and are not going to cancel church, weddings, or any other social gatherings. I guess Jill has something in common with the Amish around her. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2

I see the Bontragers have recently announced on Facebook "The Bontrager Family Singers will be touring in Mexico, Lord willing, from March 10 - March 23, 2017. Info on dates and locations will be provided here."

Perhaps we should finish the Border Wall, for Mexico's sake.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I see the Bontragers have recently announced on Facebook "The Bontrager Family Singers will be touring in Mexico, Lord willing, from March 10 - March 23, 2017. Info on dates and locations will be provided here."

Perhaps we should finish the Border Wall, for Mexico's sake.

2017?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

I just looked at their tour schedule on their website and I’m very pleased to see they have not a single thing listed. GOOD. I hope it stays that way for awhile. However they usually go to Mexico in March and I bet they will go in 2021 if they are allowed. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, fundiefan said:

2017?

oh weird, I didn't even notice that. Oops. So odd that it popped up in my search! Never mind.  

• Upvote 1

How long before some Bontrager starts wailing about the TYRANNY of their state's new mask mandate??? Imposed on them by their Republican Governor??

PS Having worked the polls for several 14+  hour days as an election judge while wear a mask AND gloves, I have zero sympathy for people who whine about the oppression of masks. Are they uncomfortable and annoying? Yes? Are they bearable? Yes. Suck it up snowflake.

• Upvote 11

Allison is trying to sell essential oils and she’s posted about an EO that somehow balances hormones. Mmmkay. Well I’m currently trying to deal with my hormones in a way that would make her faint. Birth control! I don’t even need it since my husband has been snipped. But I need it for my crazy cycles. I would much rather consult my doctor than a homeschooled fundie girl whose father uses the phrase “plandemic.”

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

Did Mother Bontrager not have a discussion with Allison at puberty? I could be wrong, since I never had kids, but learning about hormones is kind of key to understanding puberty and what your body is doing and why you are the way you are and most girls learn about it when the time comes. 

Between my mom, health class in my evil public school and other women in my life, I learned a whole lot about hormones and their affects on my life, physically & emotionally. At the age of 13. 

To have Allison acting like it's some great piece of information is just - well, stupid. And there is nothing that can convince me that Mrs. Helferich has been getting questions from anyone about hormones & skin. 

The fundies & Young Living need new sales (recruiting) tactics. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 4

She has actually posted the nearly exact same story about a year ago. I was wondering wether she was done selling Young Living and I'm curious why she started promoting it again after such a long break.

All the MLM-posts about regulating your hormones (Young Living, Plexus, etc.) always get under my skin. I would never order anything, but since my PCOS is acting out at the moment (really bad skin, more and more facial hair, crazy cycles) and my boyfriend and I are trying to get pregnant, I often long for an easy way out like Allison and all the others are offering.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

11 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Did Mother Bontrager not have a discussion with Allison at puberty? I could be wrong, since I never had kids, but learning about hormones is kind of key to understanding puberty and what your body is doing and why you are the way you are and most girls learn about it when the time comes. 

No matter if Mama Bon teached about hormones or not. Allison is just parroting what her MLM brand tells her. In fact, Allison could actually be aware of Young Living lack of effect, but it doesn't matter, business is business.

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

She has actually posted the nearly exact same story about a year ago. I was wondering wether she was done selling Young Living and I'm curious why she started promoting it again after such a long break.

She's bored. She's no longer working at the Bontrager's motel(which she seemed to enjoy) or travelling with her family band (which she didn't).  And I doubt that the Helferich's church has a big Christmas pageant to prepare for .

• Upvote 7

You are probably right. Maybe she also wants her own money, although I doub that she really has an income from YL since she is putting such little effort in it.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

She's bored. She's no longer working at the Bontrager's motel(which she seemed to enjoy) or travelling with her family band (which she didn't).  And I doubt that the Helferich's church has a big Christmas pageant to prepare for .

Allison has always struck me as a social butterfly. That’s probably why she loved working at the Inn. People would travel from other sorts and she got to meet new people all the time. All while socializing with nearby girlfriends when not at work. Even though she probably enjoyed socializing while traveling with the family band, she spent a ton of time stuck in the RV with her family. I’m sure she socialized much less while on tour and that’s probably why she wasn’t that into it. She’s now living with one other person who goes to work everyday and leaves her at home by herself. She’s possibly made some new friends and she’s probably friends with her sisters in law. But how much does she actually socialize with them? I imagine it’s not everyday so she probably gets lonely and bored. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

• samurai_sarah locked this topic