IGNORED

Jana 11: All Hail the Mustard Cardigan

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

So do I but the Progressive "becoming your parents" are my favorite.  Mostly because I can definitely relate. I recently told my husband we didn't need to replace our iPhone 7s because "they aren't broken".

I laugh at every one of them. Out loud. Every time. Which seems like something one of the people in the ads would do!

"If you printed out directions to get here, you're in the right place."

Edited by Satan'sFortress
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Those progressive commercials are 1/2 us laughing at our elderly parents and 1/2 us saying omg that's US they are making fun of. ?

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 7

2 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

So do I but the Progressive "becoming your parents" are my favorite.  Mostly because I can definitely relate. I recently told my husband we didn't need to replace our iPhone 7s because "they aren't broken".

I love these commercials almost as much as I used to live the old Mac vs. PC commercials and of course the Mayhem commercials.  I wish Progressive would produce many, many more of these and retire the obnoxious Flo forever.

• Upvote 13
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1

I laughed really hard at one of the progressive commercials and my 8 year old wanted to know why it was so funny. I had to explain that older folks seem to have an uncontrollable need to comment on blue hair. He still didn’t understand why it was funny. I told him he would get it when he’s my age. My parents always comment on bright hair colors so I can always relate.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

"Are we paying to air condition the neighborhood?" ?

Yesterday I had to say to my kids, “no more in then out then in then out! Choose to be either in the house or outside! Then stay there!” I heard that all the time as a kid because I was always running in and out of the house a million times a day. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

I officially knew I was old when I actually heard these words coming out of my mouth to my then teens: "That's not music, that's noise!" They came back with "You only listen to music that is from the 80's, mom."  Another thing that actually makes me feel a bit sick inside- all the recent retirement commercials are playing 80's music.  Ummmmm we haven't started saving enough to move closer to our daughter who's pregnant with twins or retire or open a new business! (all of that happened in the commercials not in our lives lol).

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I laugh at every one of them. Out loud. Every time. Which seems like something one of the people in the ads would do!

"If you printed out directions to get here, you're in the right place."

The one about pronouncing 'quinoa' I sent to my husband... he always says kwin -o- wa ... at first he just got it wrong and then it turned into a one-sided joke on his side because it annoyed me that he kept mispronouncing it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

My 22-year old son said he was in the car listening to some 80's song with the windows rolled down (my husband hates the AC and always rolls the windows down) and realized that he was turning into his dad!

Later in the same conversation, he started a sentence with "I heard on NPR this morning" which is how I start about 90% of my  sentences.  ?

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I laughed really hard at one of the progressive commercials and my 8 year old wanted to know why it was so funny. I had to explain that older folks seem to have an uncontrollable need to comment on blue hair. He still didn’t understand why it was funny. I told him he would get it when he’s my age. My parents always comment on bright hair colors so I can always relate.

We all see it  . . . we all see it . . .

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

The one about pronouncing 'quinoa' I sent to my husband... he always says kwin -o- wa ... at first he just got it wrong and then it turned into a one-sided joke on his side because it annoyed me that he kept mispronouncing it.  

I totally mispronounced it to my cousin and she loved it because I’m always the one correcting her pronunciation. Damn that word is hard! 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Not forgetting the "final expense plan" commercials with abysmal wooden acting.  I'm unsure if they do it on purpose, because I've seen several of them and they're all the same.  Not to mention that the "parent" always looks in incredible health for having just "given us quite a scare" and why is the point that you're in hospital after a life-threatening scare when you casually happen to mention that you have a plan to cover final expenses?  

Ugh.  Cringe.  

Sorry, pet ad peeves.  

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

I got older and thought rather smugly that there was no good music made after I reached the age of 26- I pitied younger people. Now I’m in my 50s and every so often I’ll hear a really great new song and it still crushes me a little bit!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yesterday I had to say to my kids, “no more in then out then in then out! Choose to be either in the house or outside! Then stay there!” I heard that all the time as a kid because I was always running in and out of the house a million times a day. 

My mom locked the door. Really fun in the heat of Sacramento Summers. Hot hose water is gross- No Threat of CPS in the 60s

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My mom locked the door. Really fun in the heat of Sacramento Summers. Hot hose water is gross- No Threat of CPS in the 60s

I drank out of the hose so much when I was a kid. I actually liked that rubbery taste ?. But I didn’t like hot hose water so I would let it run for 10 seconds before I took a drink. 

• Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I drank out of the hose so much when I was a kid. I actually liked that rubbery taste ?. But I didn’t like hot hose water so I would let it run for 10 seconds before I took a drink. 

Couple summers ago I drank out of a hose and damn did it taste as good as it did when I was a kid! 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have to tell my dog that all the time.   She doesn't listen.  ?.  Basically any day where it's sunny but too cold to leave the back door open we play the 'in and out' game until I get fed up and then I play the 'ignoring you' game.  

• Upvote 16
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I have to tell my dog that all the time.   She doesn't listen.  ?.  Basically any day where it's sunny but too cold to leave the back door open we play the 'in and out' game until I get fed up and then I play the 'ignoring you' game.  

Our cat was like that too! She died a few years ago at the age of 17/18. We would let her out and 10 seconds later she would be knocking at the door to come in. Yes, she knocked. It was this weird thing she did with her claws that sounded like soft knocking. And she would just keep knocking until you let her in. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Love 16

49 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Our cat was like that too! She died a few years ago at the age of 17/18. We would let her out and 10 seconds later she would be knocking at the door to come in. Yes, she knocked. It was this weird thing she did with her claws that sounded like soft knocking. And she would just keep knocking until you let her in. 

My dog knocks, too!  Only if I don't let her in right away though.  Our back wall is all windows and French doors and in warmer weather I just leave the door open.  She loves sitting on the step outside in the sun but mostly when I leave the door open so she can come and go.  Sometimes if it's cooler I'll let her out and close the door behind her, then she turns around like she wants to come in again so I'll open the door and she just stands there like, 'I'm staying out but leave that door open, will you?'

• Upvote 9
  • Love 4

Our dog knocks on the glass sliding door to be let in or out when it’s closed. She’s got a dog flap in the screen door.  She’s perfectly capable of going through it, but prefers to knock at that too and have her human get up off the lounge and open the door for her. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12
  • Love 8

1 hour ago, Karma said:

Our dog knocks on the glass sliding door to be let in or out when it’s closed. She’s got a dog flap in the screen door.  She’s perfectly capable of going through it, but prefers to knock at that too and have her human get up off the lounge and open the door for her. 

At which point we scream, “go through he hole.”

• Haha 11

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

At which point we scream, “go through he hole.”

I say in an encouraging voice, “You can do it Maggie!”  DH says “Use the flap you ridiculous dog.”  I mean, he’s got a point, the flap has been there for 12 of her nearly 13 years. ?

• Haha 22

5 hours ago, Karma said:

OMG!  My dad had a dog that was the same.  He wanted people to open the sliding glass door to let him in or out.  There was another door on the side of the house with a doggy door, but he liked going out directly to the patio and the back yard.  The screen door on the outside had a hole in it that he'd clawed through so his claws could get to the glass.  That part of the door was always dirty from his scratching.  If the temperature wasn't too bad, someone would let him out and keep the door open just enough for him to jump back in through the hole in the screen when he was done.  Then someone would close the door.  In colder but otherwise clear weather, the door was closed until someone heard the dog clawing at the door.  During the summer the door would be open full time.

One fall day the dog wanted out, but found it was very cold and raining hard, so he refused to leave the patio to go out in the yard.  Expecting him to be quick, we'd left the door open enough to let him back in.  He virtually sailed through the hole in the screen.  A few minutes later the dog wanted out again.  He really had to poop or pee.  He was let out again.  And again he jumped right back in again, after running around the patio searching for a place that wasn't raining.  

So the dog was let out for the third time, and my step-brother closed the door behind him.  My step-brother told him "OK, you're staying out until we know you've done your business."  Of course the dog didn't understand that, but he had to pee so bad he ran straight out in the yard and relieved himself.  Then he ran back inside, jumped through the hole in the screen, and smacked into the door.  Poor puppy.  My step-brother was torn between laughing and feeling bad; we all were, really.  But feeling bad for the dog won out and he was let in and covered with hugs, scritches, and some doggy treats.  Step-brother said that he assumed the dog would see that there was a glass door in the way because it was covered in dirt behind the hole.

Don't fear, the dog was fine after that, someone cleaned the glass and put some shower stickers on the door, and the dog was always careful to make sure the door was always open before jumping through the screen after that.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • Love 3

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Somewhere, in a converted factory building-turned coworking space, there is a hipster Millenial bartender inventing a cocktail menu showcasing hot hose water

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19
  • Love 3

32 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Step-brother said that he assumed the dog would see that there was a glass door in the way because it was covered in dirt behind the hole.

Don't fear, the dog was fine after that, someone cleaned the glass and put some shower stickers on the door, and the dog was always careful to make sure the door was always open before jumping through the screen after that.

I had a cat do that once... He kept getting up on the kitchen table and jumping on the counter, so my dad put up a plexiglass sheet and then used solid, colored tape to make an X at intervals to make sure he'd see it. Cat jumped up on the table, tried to jump to the counter, and smacked headfirst into an X! (He was fine, just very annoyed and embarrassed.)

We were simultaneously feeling bad for him and laughing, because seriously!

• Haha 7

I just saw a commercial for a discovery plus special called, “Crikey it’s a baby.” And it’s about Bindi Irwin having a baby. I really think this is how things may go from now on with the Duggars. I think Jana will have a discovery plus special about her courtship and wedding.

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic