IGNORED

Joe & Kendra 15: Mother/Daughter Pregnancies are So Not Icky

nelliebelle1197

8 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

My mother got a hysterectomy shortly after I found myself pregnant. Of course, she was 65 but you can never be too careful.

You are my new BFF.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

This reminds me of a dream that I had when I was TTC the first time.

I dreamed that my mother (who Was already in her late 50s) came back pregnant from a stay with her lover. I was so jealous and yelled at her that it was finally my turn to get pregnant.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I think mother/daughter pregnancies happened a lot decades ago. I know DH's mother & grandmother were pregnant at the same time. His grandmother had her last 2 kids as his mom started having her kids. DH was only 2 years younger than his youngest Aunt. He has 2 brothers who were older than their youngest aunt (she died almost 20 years ago).  I know his grandmother talked about her mom still having kids when she had her 1st couple. Grandma & MIL were the oldest daughter born when their mothers were still in their late teens or early 20's.   

It is weird now, because most couples aren't having children in their late teens and then continuing to have children into their late 30's early 40's. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

BC helped to limit the number of simultaneous mother/daughter pregnancies. I think economics also factors in. The vast majority of people who have access to birth control, control the number and timing of pregnancies.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

BC helped to limit the number of simultaneous mother/daughter pregnancies. I think economics also factors in. The vast majority of people who have access to birth control, control the number and timing of pregnancies.

I meant to add this, ADHD FTW, I think I say things and I never do. ??

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

I know several families in my circle who had mother- daughter or mother / daughter-in-law pregnancies. Or aunts/uncles younger than their nieces/nephews. 
But usually because of having babies with a new partner, or an oops, thought I couldn’t get pregnant anymore/ oops got carried away, got pregnant early situation. Or a combination. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

I agree with the previous poster who said it was more common decades ago, mainly before accessible birth control and also before women entered the work force in more massive numbers.

It happened in my own family. My grandmother gave birth to her first child (my aunt) in 1940, at 20 years old.

That aunt went on to get married in 1960 at 20 years old as well. Her first child was born within the first year of her mariage. In the meantime my grandmother was pregnant with her last child at 40. She gave birht to my uncle in 1960. He was the last child of a family of 8. Both mother and daughter were pregnant at the same time, but just that once. My grandma was D-O-N-E after that.

1960 isn't that long ago. My grandma passed away a few years ago, but the rest of them are alive and kicking. This means my uncle is the same age as his nephew. They actually get along pretty well.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

I agree with the previous poster who said it was more common decades ago, mainly before accessible birth control and also before women entered the work force in more massive numbers.

It happened in my own family. My grandmother gave birth to her first child (my aunt) in 1940, at 20 years old.

That aunt went on to get married in 1960 at 20 years old as well. Her first child was born within the first year of her mariage. In the meantime my grandmother was pregnant with her last child at 40. She gave birht to my uncle in 1960. He was the last child of a family of 8. Both mother and daughter were pregnant at the same time, but just that once. My grandma was D-O-N-E after that.

1960 isn't that long ago. My grandma passed away a few years ago, but the rest of them are alive and kicking. This means my uncle is the same age as his nephew. They actually get along pretty well.

My mom is the oldest and had me at 21( in the 50s).

My aunt, my mom’s youngest sister, is 5 years older than me (16 years younger than my mom).

My mom’s parents were older parents, even with their first (my mom). My GF was 54 when my aunt was born. My GM was well into her 40s. Sadly, my aunt was an orphan in her early 30s.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Yeah, I don't think mother-daughter pregnancies on the whole are 'icky', rather it's the whole 'we need to have as many babies as possible, screw the (physical, emotional, financial) consequences' attitude that leads to these situations among fundies. Especially since Christina has lingering physical health problems from the car accident and Kendra is probably going to be overwhelmed with 3 under 3.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Yeah, I don't think mother-daughter pregnancies on the whole are 'icky', rather it's the whole 'we need to have as many babies as possible, screw the (physical, emotional, financial) consequences' attitude that leads to these situations among fundies. Especially since Christina has lingering physical health problems from the car accident and Kendra is probably going to be overwhelmed with 3 under 3.

In terms of Kendra being overwhelmed, since her mom will be heavily pregnant, and then post baby have 2 littles herself, and with Lauren, the other handmaiden, marrying and most likely moving away to start her own life of endless pregnancies, I’m thinking the Duggars will be J and K’s new favorite grandparents (and aunties).

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Sadly, I can easily see Johanna, Jordan, or Jenny being shipped out to help Kendra.

It's not even being shipped. It's more like across the driveway. They can still sleep in the girls' dorm at night.

• Upvote 23
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

It's not even being shipped. It's more like across the driveway. They can still sleep in the girls' dorm at night.

If the girls slept at the TTH, who would care for Joe’s blessings at night?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 10/24/2020 at 1:48 AM, Audrey2 said:

Sadly, I can easily see Johanna, Jordan, or Jenny being shipped out to help Kendra.

I absolutely agree. Joe and Kendra seem to be the most fundie and fertile as of now so JB will probably do anything to keep their baby train coming and to help them as much as possible to make it easier for them.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 10/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think mother/daughter pregnancies happened a lot decades ago. I know DH's mother & grandmother were pregnant at the same time. His grandmother had her last 2 kids as his mom started having her kids. DH was only 2 years younger than his youngest Aunt. He has 2 brothers who were older than their youngest aunt (she died almost 20 years ago).  I know his grandmother talked about her mom still having kids when she had her 1st couple. Grandma & MIL were the oldest daughter born when their mothers were still in their late teens or early 20's.   

It is weird now, because most couples aren't having children in their late teens and then continuing to have children into their late 30's early 40's. 

My grandfather was born at the same time his eldest sister had a baby (she was 20 or 21). It was 1917 and it was not as rare as now, but it was not very common. The majority of women married young (but not teenagers) and had several kids, probably too many... but eventually stopped. My grandpa had "old parents" but it wasn't the norm. I really don't know if couples used some kind of BC (pull out?) or just got desinterested in sex, not to forget that fertility decreases with age and in old times there weren't hormones, pregnancy vitamins, obgyn appointments etc... So pregnancies at late 30 and specially at 40 and older couldn't be the norm at all. Obviously in societies/groups where girls married as teenagers, it's easier a 30-something year old being a grandma like Kendra's mom.

When I was born, my grandma was 46. She was pre-menopausical and when periods were late, was very worried about a pregnancy. For her it wouldn't have been a blessing at all: she was a young grandma, was living a great child-free life, travelling et . She's a devout catholic but definitely no quiverful! 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

My grandfather was the second youngest of 11 kids. Seven of those kids survived to adulthood. The oldest had twins when my granddad was a toddler, and she died in childbirth, so my granddad grew up with two aunts who were younger than him and functionally raised as his siblings. Nearly a century later, the spread in ages among his siblings means my familial generation ranges in age from late 30s (me) to early 70s.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Looking at the pictures of Titus - Joe looks middle aged compared to him - aren’t they around the same age? 

Titus is older. I think Joe is 25.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Saw this on a site and think it needs to go to Kendra’s dad. It can match his wife’s shirt (that  she wore when Kendra was in labour). “If you die tonight, will you go to heaven or hell?”

random, I know. But it made me chuckle and think of fundies. 

0DCD58B0-7F33-4C6A-9714-245543FAEC15.jpeg

• Haha 26
  • Love 1

On 10/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, Idlewild said:

Looking at the pictures of Titus - Joe looks middle aged compared to him - aren’t they around the same age? 

I think Joe has always looked middle age. Something about his hair cut. Most of those boys look old.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked, unlocked and locked this topic