IGNORED

Dillards 87: Experts on Everything!

samurai_sarah

On 11/29/2020 at 2:02 PM, Kailash said:

@Jinder Roles I think it has improved. Also, I believe it’s fewer doses. When they first offered it to my daughter it was a series of 3 shots. Now it’s only 2.

Really? I just got mine and it was 3 shots over a six month period. 

• Upvote 2

I recommend Mama Doctor Jones on all things related to women's health. She's an OBGYN from Texas with four kids and is active on Youtube and Instagram. She just did a three video series on the HPV and the vaccine. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I got the HPV vaccine when I was around 14, in a school thing. It was only one shot, I’ve never had another! I’ve never been sexually active in any way though, so I’m fairly sure I’m fine. 

• Upvote 4

My two older children both got the series and only needed 2 doses; I think my son got them at age 12, and my daughter at age 11. Neither had reactions, but both state that the shot is quite painful, compared to others. 

What is interesting is that I was the one to ask for the vaccine for them; the pediatrician never mentioned it. I thought that was odd, but he said something to the effect of waiting until they are older and sexually active, which did not make much sense to me. I’m not a medical professional, but the data all seem to support getting the series sooner rather than later (fewer doses, stronger immune response, protection before the horse has left the barn), so why wait if you intend on getting the vaccine? 

Edited by Denim Jumper
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Really? I just got mine and it was 3 shots over a six month period. 

I could definitely be wrong. Maybe I’m mixing it up, and if she’d had it earlier it would have only been 2, but now that we’ve waited, it will be three? I apologize. I didn’t intentionally misinform anyone.

In Germany it has to do with age.
Over 15: three shots. Ceravix: 0-1-6 and Gardasil 0-2-6.

9-14: two shots. With at least 5 months (0-5) between both shots for both vaccines. If you get the second shot earlier than 5 months they recommend a third one.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC I got the HPV vaccine while it was still on trial, or at least still unconfirmed to be in the national programme. I just remember getting jabbed at around 12, and looking back at the vaccine programme that my age group belongs to, there's nothing there that could be it. My vaccination records, which would have this one listed, are somewhere nowhere to be found until I moved back to Finland and the systems were finally digitised...

• Upvote 2

Jill just posted a bunch of Instagram stories about podcasts and books related to parenting adult children. Seems she's trying to send a message to Michelle and Jim Bob.IMG_20201216_131806.thumb.jpg.19cd45b5c91dfa3f971b680695f2f55b.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 15

But they haven't left the faith...the've just left the Duggar cult.  It does seem like a shot at Boobchelle, since 'faith' to them means adherence to the rules of the collective.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

But they haven't left the faith...the've just left the Duggar cult.  It does seem like a shot at Boobchelle, since 'faith' to them means adherence to the rules of the collective.

Jill has left IBLP behind as well. (Derick was never a member.) They went from IFB to SBC.  They're still very conservative, but many "mainstream" churches include conservative Christianity including Methodist, Baptist and Catholicism. (I grew up Catholic, so I know what I'm talking about.)

3 hours ago, Johannah said:

Woah. Boundaries? Maintaining hope when your kids leave the faith??

Jill has mentioned reading the Boundaries book before.  An atheist friend was reading it since it was recommended by her therapist. I believe the author does mention his Christian faith a little. 

• Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Jill has left IBLP behind as well. (Derick was never a member.) They went from IFB to SBC.

True, but their estrangement from the family has little to do with religion.  

• Upvote 6

I'm happy to see she's read boundaries because it is really helpful for reinforcing that making a boundary is good for you and important. She might be taking baby steps by most measures, but these steps are GIANT in her life. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

It is if her parents are throwing religion in her face and using it to back up their morals and convictions that Jill no longer follows.

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

She is drinking publicly and sending her kid to a secular public school. There is absolutely no chance her Gothard loving parents are just accepting this with no conflict. The biggest conflict may be the show drama but I would be willing to bet that it's the religious differences that have the Dillards barred from the big house because Boob sees them as a bad worldly influence

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Grace said:

She is drinking publicly and sending her kid to a secular public school. There is absolutely no chance her Gothard loving parents are just accepting this with no conflict. The biggest conflict may be the show drama but I would be willing to bet that it's the religious differences that have the Dillards barred from the big house because Boob sees them as a bad worldly influence

I am sure Duggar ma and pa would progress to full scale shunning if it weren't for the TV show. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 18

17 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I reckon Michelle and JB elevate their personal decisions (females need to be skirts-only, etc.) For them, their rules are the faith. You disagree with JB, you disagree with Jesus. Sick and cultish...

2 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

I am sure Duggar ma and pa would progress to full scale shunning if it weren't for the TV show. 

Absolutely. They seem cruel to me in many ways, downright psychologically abusive (physical Pearl-type abuse aside)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 10

The religious aspect of their estrangement masks the real reason they are considered a ‘bad influence’...Derick defied Boob and Jill followed Derick, period dot.  JinJer are just as worldly as the Dillards yet they aren’t treated the same way.  Joystin are starting to do their own thing and they aren’t estranged either. Why? Because Jeremy plays the game and doesn’t challenge Boob. So does Austin.  

Boob’s house of cards rests on compliance. The lack of compliance is what caused the Dillards’ estrangement. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

The religious aspect of their estrangement masks the real reason they are considered a ‘bad influence’...Derick defied Boob and Jill followed Derick, period dot.  JinJer are just as worldly as the Dillards yet they aren’t treated the same way.  Joystin are starting to do their own thing and they aren’t estranged either. Why? Because Jeremy plays the game and doesn’t challenge Boob. So does Austin.  

Boob’s house of cards rests on compliance. The lack of compliance is what caused the Dillards’ estrangement. 

Leave and cleave with the male partner being the headship means that none of this falls on Jill’s shoulders. In addition, JB publicly spoke poorly of his own father’s beliefs and behaviors and made DIFFERENT choices. Was JB shunned by JL? Do as I say not as I do is a poor approach. JB is a major as*hole. You reap what you sow, dude-

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Leave and cleave with the male partner being the headship means that none of this falls on Jill’s shoulders. In addition, JB publicly spoke poorly of his own father’s beliefs and behaviors and made DIFFERENT choices. Was JB shunned by JL? Do as I say not as I do is a poor approach. JB is a major as*hole. You reap what you sow, dude-

I've seen where kids who leave a certain flavor of religion for something considered more "liberal" are shunned by the rest of the family. Anyone who leaves IFB flavored Christianity for SBC flavored is considered a heretic. JB is being a dick and I think it's because he's lost control over Jill & Derick, financially and otherwise. The Dillards are living a more mainstream, conservative Christian life, from their education choices for their children, to the number of children they have, to the way Jill dresses, drinking alcohol publicly...and have turned their backs on Jill's upbringing, IBLP and all. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Really goes to show the power of an education. Derick has his flaws, but he is soon to have multiple degrees and potentially high earning career options to support himself and his family. Plus likely at least some critical thinking skills gained along the way. And the power of depriving people of an education, which is exactly what Jim bob has done. In nearly every circumstance and society the most effective means of control/empowerment is education and birth control. It’s not a coincidence that their cult forbids both. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Their shunning/being kept to the fringe of the family is all about control. Derrick won't like JB have any control over their lives, and Derrick publicly humiliated JB. I'm not sure which pissed boob off more, I'm going to guess the latter.  Jeremey & Austin, at the very least give JB the illusion that he has some level of control but they've also never dared publicly contradict him so they are free to do things more their way. They can't drink publicly, they won't be able to send their kids to public schools, private Christian schools MAYBE, but they have 2.5/3 years before they have to cross that bridge, so JB does have some level of control over them, because they still have to life life as he says to keep access to their siblings. 

• Upvote 7

It really is only a matter of time before another child makes decisions like Jill did and then Jim Bob and Michelle have to decide what they want to do about that child too.  There is no way that the rest of the 18 siblings will be falling in line with Jim Bob’s demands for the rest of their lives. Even if he handpicks the spouses of the younger ones, married people grow and change together and I really think Jim Bob and Michelle will have to evaluate what is actually important if they want relationships with all their children. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 11

I wouldn't be surprised to see the younger ones break free. I don't think Meechelle and JB have been as active in the brainwashing as they abdicated parenting and educating to the older girls. Time will tell. However, I don't think for a minute that all of the other 18 kids will toe the mark. JB wants to keep Jill away so she won't give the other kids any "ideas". 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

My money’s on Jackson, Jenni and/or Jordyn breaking free and living typical lives. I could see Josie going full wild child. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic