• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

Dillards 87: Experts on Everything!

Kailash
1 hour ago, wendy-sparkles said:

I'm glad they vaccinate but I hate them talking up a delayed schedule - like experts with education and training are talking crap when they make the schedules. When she says selective - are they skipping some of them? I'm so glad for Jill that she's out from under her parents thumb, but at least her parents vaccinated her on time!

She's using her (large) platform to perpetuate myths about vaccines and undermine confidence in the CDC? (sorry, not american) literally during a pandemic, where eventually vaccinating everyone is going to be vital and also enormously difficult.  It's irresponsible not to vaccinate your kids when it is deemed safe to do so, both as their parent, and as members of a community. Derick's mum has been immunocompromised before! how do they not understand this.

Why do they think they have to get vaccinations when they travel? Because other countries aren't as lucky as rich western ones to have virtually eliminated many diseases.  Sorry I know you all know this but I'm just so mad. 

We delayed vaccinations with my daughter because I was very worried about her having an allergic reaction to one of them but not knowing which one. 

mpheels

re. vaccines for travel, there are some vaccines that are not routinely offered in the US because they protect against infections that are not common here, but are offered for people traveling to countries where the infection is common. The best example is yellow fever.

DalmatianCat
1 hour ago, wendy-sparkles said:

I'm glad they vaccinate but I hate them talking up a delayed schedule - like experts with education and training are talking crap when they make the schedules. When she says selective - are they skipping some of them? I'm so glad for Jill that she's out from under her parents thumb, but at least her parents vaccinated her on time!

She's using her (large) platform to perpetuate myths about vaccines and undermine confidence in the CDC? (sorry, not american) literally during a pandemic, where eventually vaccinating everyone is going to be vital and also enormously difficult.  It's irresponsible not to vaccinate your kids when it is deemed safe to do so, both as their parent, and as members of a community. Derick's mum has been immunocompromised before! how do they not understand this.

Why do they think they have to get vaccinations when they travel? Because other countries aren't as lucky as rich western ones to have virtually eliminated many diseases.  Sorry I know you all know this but I'm just so mad. 

I’m surprised she even mentioned vaccines. She’s getting a lot of flak from anti-vaxxers in the comments. No one was going to like what she said on the issue no matter where she stood, so I’m impressed she even bothered with that question.

Kelsey
2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My friend who does a “delayed schedule” gets all the vaccines except the yearly flu shot. I’m betting the Dillards are the same. 

They do the flu shot. Derrick posted and encouraged others to get it as well.

What is DTR?

Edited by Kelsey
Typo

JermajestyDuggar
Just now, Kelsey said:

They donthe flu shot. Derrick posted and encouraged others to get it as well.

What is DTR?

Then I would guess they get all of them except the HPV vaccine. Since that one can be controversial in fundie communities. And their kids wouldn’t even need to get it for another few years. 

OrchidBlossom
4 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

You’re absolutely right. Do you guys remember the unfortunate scene back in the 19 kids and counting days when Anna referred to some baby item (was it a rocker seat or something along those lines?) as a vibrator. I cannot find the scene anymore (my quick google search wasn’t successful at least) but I’m sure it happened. 

I absolutely do not remember it but I 100% believe it haha

hand holder
2 hours ago, Kelsey said:

They do the flu shot. Derrick posted and encouraged others to get it as well.

What is DTR?

DTR means "Define the relationship" :)

lexiloumarie
5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My friend who does a “delayed schedule” gets all the vaccines except the yearly flu shot. I’m betting the Dillards are the same. 

Chicken pox and rotavirus are  commonly skipped among some people I know - having had both I rather the vaccine. 

AussieKrissy

The vibrator one was when they were moving to Washington I’m pretty sure and it was being packed or she was looking for it. 
Edit to add I can also see them maybe knocking back the hpv vax because virgins and one only partners should not be exposed to it and it promotes sexual activity and all that fundie bullshit. 

Edited by AussieKrissy

Idlewild

Interesting how they blame TLC for wanting to put a spin on their ‘courtship’. Courtship v dating was a mainstay of JB & M’s lecturing about how they raised their kids and it wasn’t confined to TLC. Speculation on my part but if J& D had said at the time they considered they were dating rather than the model their parents advocated, I would have thought that TLC would have enjoyed the drama?
Yes, they are making progress but I maintain they are amending the narrative to suit themselves. If TLC was misrepresenting their relationship and asking them to effectively lie on camera without paying them, why did they go along with it for so long?

just_ordinary
9 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Interesting how they blame TLC for wanting to put a spin on their ‘courtship’. Courtship v dating was a mainstay of JB & M’s lecturing about how they raised their kids and it wasn’t confined to TLC. Speculation on my part but if J& D had said at the time they considered they were dating rather than the model their parents advocated, I would have thought that TLC would have enjoyed the drama?
Yes, they are making progress but I maintain they are amending the narrative to suit themselves. If TLC was misrepresenting their relationship and asking them to effectively lie on camera without paying them, why did they go along with it for so long?

I wonder if there were some serious talks with JB (and Michelle) after the last videos. It didn’t only rattle the family but it seems also their fan community. It was bad for business. My guess is we will see less criticism directed at her family from now on. 

Mama Mia
2 hours ago, Idlewild said:

I mean, it’s a reality show, of course everything is more extreme/ controversial than real life. It doesn’t sound like anything was significantly different - just a little looser / lighter on the chaperoning and privacy, and different terminology for what is basically the same structure of building a relationship that leads to marriage. They weren’t secretly living together or anything drastic. 

As far as delayed vaccinations, some Dr.s recommend them, mostly because slightly spacing out the vaccines helps to know if there is a reaction to a particular one. Most people I know who do this get all, or virtually all, of the vaccines - and very close to the usual time. 

Edited by Mama Mia

AussieKrissy
1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I wonder if there were some serious talks with JB (and Michelle) after the last videos. It didn’t only rattle the family but it seems also their fan community. It was bad for business. My guess is we will see less criticism directed at her family from now on. 

Hopefully not. I have more popcorn to eat. 

Four is Enough
17 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

You’re absolutely right. Do you guys remember the unfortunate scene back in the 19 kids and counting days when Anna referred to some baby item (was it a rocker seat or something along those lines?) as a vibrator. I cannot find the scene anymore (my quick google search wasn’t successful at least) but I’m sure it happened. 

I remember that one. Someone loaded the baby's little bouncy chair in the truck and Anna wanted it. She definitely called it a vibrator.

Kelsey

I tend to think that they blame TLC to avoid saying my dad made us misrepresent things. 

artdecades

Frankly, I wonder how much they are rewriting their own narratives to fit into what they are comfortable with now. 

Snarkasarus Rex

This isn't surprising info, really.  Jessa admitted that she and Ben also had some unsupervised communication while they were courting. Jana also used the word 'dating' pretty much interchangeably with 'courting' in her IG post where she revealed that she had at least 'talked' to one or more male suitors in the past.  I'm sure TLC did play up the stranger aspects of Duggar courting rituals for ratings, but you know Boob was perfectly fine with it.  They've made a pretty penny off of that whole schtick.  

CarrotCake

Jill has a ‘get to know me’-story and it looks like she still puts ‘midwife’ for a job (next to what I assume means ‘blogger’ and ‘mom’)

FleeJanaFree

I’d  be interested in knowing jills thoughts of the contrast of the show “being a ministry” when there are obvious and subtle lies (like filming goodbye scenes in Nepal and stayino on another week) to sustain it. Also interested in her take on thou shall not lie in this context. 

This isn’t an attack and I don’t think she should be raked over the coals for it, but I’m curious. I think this family does Mental gymnastics to justify things. I wonder if any of them will ever just come out and and say “my dads number one priority is making money, not Jesus” 

as i said last time, they both come across as dare I say it likeable in  these videos. I used to entirely avoid their Thread when they were in Guatemala because I  found them so irritating. 

Edited by FleeJanaFree
Spelling

Idlewild

I would totally love it if Jill said her dad’s number one priority was making money!

meep
On 11/22/2020 at 11:27 PM, Expectopatronus said:

I assume you’re kidding. Personally, I would find it offensive if a store actually sold this. I would find it equally offensive if sex toys depicted the Prophet Muhammad, Buddha or Hindu gods/goddesses etc. There are lines that don’t need to be crossed. 

Not kidding. 
It was a company called Divine Interventions. I believe they mostly sold dildos and they also had the crucifix, the virgin mary, and a few figures from buddhism and hinduism. If it makes you feel any better, they lasted from approx. 1999-2019. It appears they finally closed due to too many threats. 

Casserole
16 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

As far as delayed vaccinations, some Dr.s recommend them, mostly because slightly spacing out the vaccines helps to know if there is a reaction to a particular one. Most people I know who do this get all, or virtually all, of the vaccines - and very close to the usual time. 

Same, I know MANY people who have "delayed" but it's not really delayed as far as timeline for when they're finished, just spaced out to not be all at once. The families actually end up in the pediatrician's office much more frequently because instead of getting all 5 shots recommended at the 6 month appointment, for example, they do one at a time, each week. Our local pediatrician is on board with this (probably because it equals more copays) though they do have the families sign an agreement of sorts, because all of his patients must be vaccinated to remain at the practice. 

I see no issues with this. 

Edited by Casserole

Pecansforeveryone

Do we have any kind of gauge on how common "chaperoned" courtships really are in fundiedom? I know, courtship became a big deal thanks to I Kissed Dating Goodbye. While I know hanging out alone behind closed doors was discouraged, I don't remember "chaperoned" courtships being a thing.

Expectopatronus
4 hours ago, Casserole said:

Same, I know MANY people who have "delayed" but it's not really delayed as far as timeline for when they're finished, just spaced out to not be all at once. The families actually end up in the pediatrician's office much more frequently because instead of getting all 5 shots recommended at the 6 month appointment, for example, they do one at a time, each week. Our local pediatrician is on board with this (probably because it equals more copays) though they do have the families sign an agreement of sorts, because all of his patients must be vaccinated to remain at the practice. 

I see no issues with this. 

I didn’t know this was an option. My girl had a very high fever after her 2 month vaccinations and I would have spread out her 6 month ones if I had known that I could do that. She was fine that time but I might ask if she can get her flu shot at a different time than her 12 month vaccines. 
I didn’t get my HPV vaccination as a kid (my parents disapprove) and I may let my daughter choose whether or not she wants this one  but given that she’s 11 months right now, it’s hardly a pressing issue. 

just_ordinary

Re: spacing out vaccines. We do have a problem of a sizeable anti-vaxx group. It’s a mix of conspiracy theory followers, back to nature/Mother Earth people and coattail riders (we can skip it because many do get it). Sadly, this mindset does not specifically come with a lack of education. Many are well or even highly educated. They also are fierce believers they are protecting their children from harm. They put a lot of “research” (from a scientific point of view: just reading some books and websites that mostly “prove” your point is not research though) in it. 
A noticeable part of the group, thankfully, does it least some of them like polio etc. Better than nothing I suppose.
Delaying vaccines but still getting almost all is only done is also not uncommon.
They are all about “making individual decisions”. 
I think delaying cannot be judged all all same.  Often there is already a timeframe that gives some wiggle room. Waiting till your child is not having a cold or such is sometimes recommended and some choose to wait when their children having a hard time at the moment (development leap, teething...). Some wait till spring to skip cold season. Some also opt not to have double injections. There are two cases in my country where this is done: pneumococci and chickenpox are generally given as a second injection with others (opposed to multi mix in one injection). Some go all the way and give every vaccine on its own. They believe it’s better for the immune system and/or that the single component has better quality (manufacturing purposes and such). Even if it was better for the immune system, it will probably leave the child traumatised and forever in fear of needles. It would be 31 injections in 24 months. No idea if that is even possible as you normally have a 4 week break between them. In general I have no problem with people delaying vaccines as long as they are still done. Especially as there are very different vaccinations timetables depending on the country - not especially in terms of what but when. If someone follows another timetable with the same vaccines as what my country thinks necessary I am fine with that. On one thing though I am very hard. I think children that are not vaccinated should be forbidden in public care institutions. Obviously not the ones that couldn’t get vaccinated for medical reasons. If you want to make an individual vaccination decision that might harm others, you should be prepared to make individual care arrangements. Easy as that. Going against the stream should be allowed, but no one should expect the stream to bend for them. The most people that delay start around one year. I make a point not to put delayers and the others into one pot. In the end the delayers will have completely vaccinated children and they don’t doubt the importance and effectiveness of vaccines.