IGNORED

Dillards 87: Experts on Everything!

samurai_sarah

"Growing up, it was ingrained in me that if you don't have as many kids as you're able to, that there's something wrong with that," Jill, 29, tells PEOPLE in this week's issue. "

That's the thing, though---she seems to get now that "able" doesn't just mean physically able, it can also mean mentally, emotionally, financially. Good for them.

• Upvote 35

"Children are a blessing, but that doesn't mean that at all costs you should have as many kids as possible," she says.

"I think you need to do what's healthiest and best for your family," says Jill, adding that she and Derick, 31, rely on "non-hormonal birth control" such as various barrier methods.

Well, she's officially confirmed that she doesn't agree with endlessly popping out babies for jesus AND the kind of birth control they use. 

It's curious that she's giving his interview now. I wondered when they started doing the YouTube Q&As if they were testing the waters for something. 

• Upvote 39

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

That's the thing, though---she seems to get now that "able" doesn't just mean physically able, it can also mean mentally, emotionally, financially. Good for them.

I agree. I think with some of that pressure  to pop out a baby every year off of them, they are able to not only enjoy their boys but each other as well. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 9

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I agree. I think with some of that pressure  to pop out a baby every year off of them, they are able to not only enjoy their boys but each other as well. 

Jill and Derrick both seem so happy now because they are focusing on themselves and raising the children they have and not having baby after baby. Derrick will have a new career soon and Jill may decide on a college education herself, she went to couple of Derick's lectures to listen in that makes me think she is curious about education for herself. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 1

It's funny, but for some reason I was surprised to see Jill is 29.

Maybe it's because she's doing stuff now that people in normal families do when they are teenagers.  Question parental authori-tah!   I truly believed for a time that once the show went away, a fair number of the offspring would move away from the tenets of their nutty upbringing and that one or two would actually do something super radical, like become moderate Democrats or something.   But the show never went away, and all but Jill stayed on JB's teat, to some extent or another.  I confess she's the last one I would guess would break away, and ironically enough, it sounds like the show was actually the spark.

I wish her well and hope she keeps growing.  And that maybe she can eventually serve as a role model for her ex-buddies, James and Jennifer, before their asshole father gets them hitched up.

• Upvote 30

53 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Jill and Derrick both seem so happy now because they are focusing on themselves and raising the children they have and not having baby after baby. Derrick will have a new career soon and Jill may decide on a college education herself, she went to couple of Derick's lectures to listen in that makes me think she is curious about education for herself. 

I think it would be wonderful if she could get a college education. If she prefers to be a SAHM and invest her time in her children's lives, that is fine too. The difference between her and Michelle is she will actually know and enjoy her children. S

• Upvote 27

12 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

"Sometimes," she says, "it's a good thing being okay with other people not being okay."

That statement, coming from people-pleasing, sweet-servant's heart, be-content-with-whatever-situation-God-puts-you-in, Jilly Muffin, is huge. I don't know what therapy she is attending, but I hope she keeps going and keeps working on herself. 

Her statement really hits close to home. I just recently realized that I'm also a huge people pleaser (though not to Jill's level since my upbringing was hard, but not as traumatic as I suppose her childhood was) and it is so hard to change my behaviour. I'm working through this with my therapist, but sometimes it feels so so overwhelming. I feel for Jill and I'm really surprised how far she has come.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 42

I keep seeing comments about how Joy and Austin have also distanced themselves from the show. This is simply not true. Joy and Austin featured in almost every episode of the most recent season of CO. They don’t appear in the promo shots, but they are very much full time cast members.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

We all knew that this was the situation, I am just kind of shocked to see it actually acknowledged out loud and in public. 

Having lots and lots of kids is great if that is what you want and can handle, but that...will not be the case for everyone! 

5 hours ago, ophelia said:

Her statement really hits close to home. I just recently realized that I'm also a huge people pleaser (though not to Jill's level since my upbringing was hard, but not as traumatic as I suppose her childhood was) and it is so hard to change my behaviour. I'm working through this with my therapist, but sometimes it feels so so overwhelming. I feel for Jill and I'm really surprised how far she has come.

It's incredible and must have taken a lot for her to get to this point, emotionally at least. Must feel great not to carry this burden any more

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

36 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Now taking the step of getting a lawyer, that’s a big matzo ball.

I kinda figured they must have.  I know the cost of living in their neck of the woods is low, but there's no way they have been surviving on Uber Eats earnings alone.

I'd love to know what all the siblings think about this, from Josh all the way down the line.  Are they horrified?  Do they sympathize?  Feel jealousy over the new found freedom?

The story here doesn't end with the Dillards.  With lots of offspring comes lots of drama. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I kinda figured they must have.  I know the cost of living in their neck of the woods is low, but there's no way they have been surviving on Uber Eats earnings alone.

I'd love to know what all the siblings think about this, from Josh all the way down the line.  Are they horrified?  Do they sympathize?  Feel jealousy over the new found freedom?

The story here doesn't end with the Dillards.  With lots of offspring comes lots of drama. 

I think some of the older ones are torn between wanting to toe the family line but also secretly being tempted to do the same, they just won't admit that. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

Wow, I think that’s the first mainstream publication to report that only Boob was paid directly. 

• Upvote 21

By estimating between $25k & $45k per episode there were 227 XX Kid & Counting episodes before Josh's scandal's broke.  Assuming those were paid at $45k that is $12.5 million (US) over the course, then the 93 episodes of CO we'll say those paid out at $25k that is another $2.3 million over the last 5 years.  Having to prorate each child's screen time is impossible, well not impossible, but beyond time consuming and that is just dumb for this, say each kid got $1k per episode once they were over the age of 5 and $500 for each episode from birth to 5 yrs. Since Jill was over age 5 in all episodes that is $227,000 for just the 19KAC episodes, for the 93 episodes of CO of which Jill is only in approximately 27 episodes , I'm going to up Jill & Jessa to $5k for these 27 episodes because this was Jill & Jessa counting on. That would be another $135,000 Jill earned, totaling $362,000 US that JB owed to Jill, at minimum. 

JB should have put $X aside per child per episode and used the rest for their living expenses and such, He's made probably close to $15 million with just the show alone, including specials, then add in speaking fees, books, and he's a wealthy man, who's kept all the money for himself to piecemeal out to each child to make sure they stay under his thumb. I'm honestly surprised Jeremey didn't demand payment, or maybe he did, JB just kept it quiet, and that is how the Vuolo's are living in LA without jobs.  

• Upvote 35
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

I think some of the older ones are torn between wanting to toe the family line but also secretly being tempted to do the same, they just won't admit that. 

I think it’s far less about toeing the line, but realizing that doing so beats the heck out of going it alone with a limited education and few skills, particularly time management and multi-tasking; seeing a task through completion without cutting corners. It’s hard to hone all those skills when blessing after blessing keep arriving. It seems like even the Dillards, who do have a parent who could theoretically support an average sized family on his own volition, have had to rely on Bank of JB to get by. What does that mean for someone like Joe or Ben, not to mention Josh? 

10 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

By estimating between $25k & $45k per episode there were 227 XX Kid & Counting episodes before Josh's scandal's broke.  Assuming those were paid at $45k that is $12.5 million (US) over the course, then the 93 episodes of CO we'll say those paid out at $25k that is another $2.3 million over the last 5 years.  Having to prorate each child's screen time is impossible, well not impossible, but beyond time consuming and that is just dumb for this, say each kid got $1k per episode once they were over the age of 5 and $500 for each episode from birth to 5 yrs. Since Jill was over age 5 in all episodes that is $227,000 for just the 19KAC episodes, for the 93 episodes of CO of which Jill is only in approximately 27 episodes , I'm going to up Jill & Jessa to $5k for these 27 episodes because this was Jill & Jessa counting on. That would be another $135,000 Jill earned, totaling $362,000 US that JB owed to Jill, at minimum. 

JB should have put $X aside per child per episode and used the rest for their living expenses and such, He's made probably close to $15 million with just the show alone, including specials, then add in speaking fees, books, and he's a wealthy man, who's kept all the money for himself to piecemeal out to each child to make sure they stay under his thumb. I'm honestly surprised Jeremey didn't demand payment, or maybe he did, JB just kept it quiet, and that is how the Vuolo's are living in LA without jobs.  

And how they fairly immediately had a home in TX.

JB is all about control. He learned from the best, Gothard. Gothard controlled JB, and JB continues to control his kids.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 17

The figures are shocking. It sort of serves JB right that he is now having to support Josh, Anna and their expanding family as it’s a perfect example of how he had created these co dependant adults. He is almost certainly supporting in part Jessa, Josiah and Joseph as it’s unlikely they can afford to run houses, cars and unlimited kids on what they earn. I expect he has come to an arrangement with Jeremy to fend off any further scandal and no doubt big bucks are going into Jeds campaign as I think that is JB’s real ambition- political control. 

• Upvote 28

It is so disgusting that TLC just slid over and kept paying Jim Bob only for Counting On and Jill and Jessa got NOTHING but what he wanted to pass along. That man is awful and it must have been awful for Jill to realize that about her own father.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 13

43 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I like your breakdown and am super curious about the actual compensation (like everyone else). However, I kind of think $45,000 per episode (when starting pay for any actor on a scripted tv show with speaking lines starts at $25,000) is a little high. I wonder where People got that number. Maybe that’s what Jill and Derrick’s lawyer found? I know the Duggars are fairly popular in the reality tv world and have had remarkable longevity compared to, say, stars on The Bachelor who don’t get paid at all. I was watching a YouTube video from one of the brides from the very first season of “Married at First Sight” (Cortney) and she said they were not paid a salary, but a stipend and it came out to around $10,000 for the first season. Granted, it was the first season, no one knew if it would even air, so that could be way it was so low. I just can’t wrap my head around the Duggars making more than $20,000 an episode (if that). I’m sure JB keeps most of the money, but I do think he turns right around and invests it, and gives the kids maybe a few thousand an episode. I think his investments have made millions, but I’m not so sure about the show.
Maybe if Jill continues to get press maybe TLC will reveal what they pay the Duggars (if they can spin it in a way to make them look good).

Edited by DalmatianCat
More thoughts
  • Upvote 11

50 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Brilliant Deduction !! Wow is all I can say

no wonder he could endless flip houses... when they only cost $95 k tops where as houses here are like $3 m

• Upvote 5

Also, Jill revealing that she was never paid, does make it seem like Jeremy and Jinger must have that rumored separate contract. I wonder if that’s part of why Jeremy doesn’t go to Arkansas often. Might be awkward with the BILs to know Jeremy gets paid for showing up and they don’t. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

Right now there are quite a few who are very dependent on JB and the show. They are use to easy money. The boys are the ones who are expected to provide. Sure you can make a good living in real-estate, flipping houses, and construction....but when you bring over 10 kids in the mix, things could get complicated. I just do NOT believe they are prepared to duplicate their parents lifestyle. Sadly some people have to earn money outside the family business to keep things going. I don't believe any of the Duggar businesses are as lucrative as the money from TLC.

• Upvote 11

8 minutes ago, DalmatianCat said:

Also, Jill revealing that she was never paid, does make it seem like Jeremy and Jinger must have that rumored separate contract. I wonder if that’s part of why Jeremy doesn’t go to Arkansas often. Might be awkward with the BILs to know Jeremy gets paid for showing up and they don’t. 

Yay, the Vuolos have always lived a little bit differently than the others, especially the other married Duggar daughters. Ben and Jessa live in the tiny house, Joy and Austin, even with a job beyond the show, lived in a camper for a while. The Dillards rented until recently. Joe also scored with the renovated log cabin house. Maybe the Vuolos helped  J and J finance the Tx home? Maybe Lauren’s parents helped finance J and L’s home? JD and A live in a tiny trailer. While they all have secure housing, it’s not all the same level of accommodations.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

57 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Yay, the Vuolos have always lived a little bit differently than the others, especially the other married Duggar daughters. Ben and Jessa live in the tiny house, Joy and Austin, even with a job beyond the show, lived in a camper for a while. The Dillards rented until recently. Joe also scored with the renovated log cabin house. Maybe the Vuolos helped  J and J finance the Tx home? Maybe Lauren’s parents helped finance J and L’s home? JD and A live in a tiny trailer. While they all have secure housing, it’s not all the same level of accommodations.

I wonder if it has bred any resentment?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

• samurai_sarah locked this topic